Oga’s Cantina, owned by Oga Garra, Black Spire’s crime boss, is going to be the place to hang out. She has hands in every single business in the village, and everyone knows not to cross her. The interior of the walk-in cantina that will be open earlier in the day is reminiscent of the Mos Eisley cantina with about seven small alcoves inviting guests to sit down and rest their feet. A long bar top surrounds the heart of Oga’s; all sorts of tanks and tubes hang from the top of the building. You can get a few snacks, but this place is mostly about the beverages.
– Cantina Mix (final name to be determined) – a galactic space version of bar snacks (the sample I tried had wasabi peas, small rice cracker bits, shrimp chips, and I believe freeze dried chocolate, and more in unique shapes)
– Oga’s Obsession – a gelatin based dish served in a petri dish with popping pearls, dried, fruits and Pop Rocks (it’s a lot of weird textures coming together and it’s delicious)
– Rodian Ration
– Black Spire Brew – a coffee drink with cold brew
– Blue Bantha – a glass of blue milk topped with a cookie decorated with a bantha horn
– Cliff Dweller
– Tarine Tea
– Hyperdrive Punch It!
– Jabba Juice
– Moogan Tea
– Carbon Freeze
– Fuzzy Tauntaun – a light, fuzzy navel inspired cocktail topped with “fuzzy” foam
– Bloody Rancor – a bloody mary-esque morning drink with an edible bone garnish
– Yub Nub – essentially a rum punch with passion fruit seeds
– Jedi Mind Trick – this has botanical flavors, grapefruit, bitterness and is meant to start and finish in different ways
– Outer Rim – a margarita with a black salt rim
– T-16 Skyhopper
– Dagobah Slug Slinger
– Jet Juice
– Spriran Caf
– Bespin Fizz – this has a shimmer and some fizzing, bubbling action
– Bad Motivator IPA
– Toniray – it will be teal and bubbly just like the Alderaan version
– White Wampa ale – a wheat beer
– Spice Runner – a dark red cider Keep an eye out for the brewer of the beers on special tap handles in the cantina. Oga’s not a brewer or winemaker, so she’s contracted with suppliers around the galaxy. Oga’s Cantina in Black Spire Outpost will be the only place guests can get alcoholic beverages in Disneyland (unless those guests have access to the private Club 33). The beverages must be consumed inside Oga’s. And I can’t leave out the highlight of Oga’s Cantina: DJ R-3X! The former pilot of Star Tours is now a radio DJ spinning some of the best pop music in the Star Wars galaxy. We saw the Rex animatronic in action at Walt Disney Imagineering and heard a sampling of infectious music; he plays about a three hour long show. DJ R-3X is designed after the original RX-24 from Star Tours and is once again voiced by Paul Reubens.
Roasting meat on a spit is a marketplace staple, so Black Spire Outpost has it. This open air establishment is owned by Bakkar, a huge podracing fan; he runs his stall with the help of his droid 8D-J8. The shop is decorated with podracing flags and flair, and Bakkar’s modified a podracing engine to roast ronto meat (ronto being a beast from Tatooine).
You can order a few things at Ronto Roasters:
– Ronto wrap – a wrap with roasted pork and spice grilled Portuguese sausage topped with a slaw and spicy clutch sauce in a pita
– Sweet teriyaki turkey jerky (they took into account that the excessive heat from the podrace engine would dry meat out, hence the jerky)
– Spicy herb turkey jerky
– Sour Sarlacc, Tatooine Sunset, or Meiloorun Juice (which should make Star Wars Rebels fans very happy) I tried a little of everything from Ronto Roasters and can’t wait to get the ronto wrap again. The spice isn’t a straightforward hot sauce taste; it’s more complex and a little smoky—it hits you in the back of your throat. The beverages are all non-alcoholic, light, and fruity; they would all be refreshing on a warm day. The Tatooine Sunset has a touch of desert pear that made it my top pick.
Blue milk was the first memorable galactic food we saw in Star Wars; Aunt Beru served it to Owen and Luke in Episode IV. Galaxy’s Edge’s Milk Stand run by Bubo Wamba Farms will serve that iconic space beverage and a newer iteration with frozen blue milk and frozen green milk. Food and Beverage Concept Development Director Brian Koziol described the texture as being like a smoothie, almost like a milkshake. The plant dairy based drinks are vegan; the blue bantha milk is described as having berry notes, while the green thala-siren milk from The Last Jedi will have a tropical flavor.
Kat Saka’s Kettle
As you wander through the marketplace browsing wares and exploring stalls, you may smell popcorn. Kat Saka’s Kettle serves Outpost Mix, a sweet and salty popcorn mix with a little bit of spice that’s dark red and purple. Kat Saka’s a local farmer to Black Spire Outpost and harvests different kinds of grains; one of her favorite things to do is travel around the galaxy and collect various spices and bring them back to Batuu to use in her cooking.
Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo
Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo is Galaxy’s Edge’s quick service restaurant with many bold options for adult and children (if you’ve seen Galaxy’s Edge pictures of a cargo ship on top of a building, that’s Docking Bay 7). The chef here is none other than Strono Tuggs, a.k.a. Cookie; he used to be the chef at Maz Kanata’s Takodana castle until the First Order wrecked said castle. He also appears in a fun short story about a cooking competition in Tales from a Galaxy Far, Far Away: Aliens: Volume I. But these days, he has a traveling kitchen and restaurant thanks to a modified Sienar-Chall Utilipede-Transport. He’s proud to serve Tuggs’ Grub, “traveling diner for diners traveling,” in Black Spire. Here’s what you can order from Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo:
Braised Shaak Roast – beef pot roast with with cavatelli pasta, kale and mushrooms
– Fried Endorian Tip-Yip – fried chicken (not batter fried though) with roasted vegetable mash and green herb gravy
– Felucian Garden Spread – vegan meatballs with herb hummus, tomato-cucumber relish, and pita bread
Ithorian Garden Loaf – vegan meatloaf served with roasted vegetable mash, seasonal vegetables and mushroom sauce
Kaadu Ribs – smoked country sticky pork ribs (cut in a way unique to Docking Bay 7) with a blueberry corn muffin and cabbage slaw
Oven Roasted Burra Fish – a Dijon-crusted sustainable fish with mixed greens, roasted vegetables, quinoa and pumpkin seeds with a creamy green curry ranch dressing
Oven Roasted Tip-Yip – features roasted chicken with mixed greens, roasted vegetables, quinoa and pumpkin seeds with a creamy green curry ranch dressing – Yobshrimp Noodle Salad – a marinated noodle salad with chilled shrimp
– To be named desserts of raspberry creme puff with passion fruit mousse and chocolate cake with white chocolate mousse and coffee custard (the chocolate disc on these desserts depict Black Spire Outpost’s emblem)
– Phattro (this has appeared in Star Wars: The Clone Wars as an alcoholic beverage but is non-alcoholic here)
– Moof Juice The children’s menu will include smaller portion sizes of the Yobshrimp Noodle Salad and the Fried Tip-Yip.
Of the Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo food I sampled (the Felucian garden spread, the kaadu ribs, the fried tip-yip, the yobshrimp noodle salad, and the desserts), I especially loved the Felucian garden spread. It’s hard to tell that it’s vegan, and the dish has a pitch perfect balance of spiciness and sweetness. Other highlights include the blueberry muffin that comes alongside the kaadu ribs, the olive oil mashed potatoes with the fried tip-yip, the ribs, and both desserts (the texture of both desserts is to die for). The outside of the raspberry creme puff looks like Rey’s portion bread, but Culinary Director Brian Piasecki let us know they have something like the portion from The Force Awakens in the works as well.
A few final notes to share: though the proprietors of all these restaurants and stands have a presence through their employees, they won’t necessarily be seen themselves. Also, Disney has not yet decided whether they will re-label water bottles to be in-universe (The Wizarding World of Harry Potter does this with “gilly water”), but it sounds likely that they will get “imports” of soda to Black Spire Outpost.
Images: Disney Parks