Marvel’s Eternals film is finally just around the corner. If you don’t know the Eternals, you’re not alone. But the alien Celestials are touching down on Earth—and the MCU—in November 2021, with a spectacularly star-studded cast. And a Oscar-winning director. It feels like a lifetime ago that Kevin Feige first introduced the cast at 2019 San Diego Comic-Con. But now MCU Phase 4 is officially here, and Eternals is among the most anticipated new arrivals to the franchise. Here’s everything we know about the upcoming film.
Who’s In It?
First, Eternals is directed by Chloe Zhao; she’s the first woman to direct a Marvel movie solo and just won an Oscar for Best Director for Nomadland.
Her cast for the movie includes:
- Angelina Jolie as Thena, a super strong warrior woman;
- Richard Madden as Ikaris, father of Greek god Icarus;
- Gemma Chan as Sersi, who can manipulate matter;
- Kumail Nanjiani as Kingo, samurai, master swordsman, film star and producer;
- Lauren Ridloff as Makkari, superhumanly fast;
- Brian Tyree Henry as Phastos, often mistaken for the Greek god Hephaestus. He built most of the Eternals’ devices;
- Salma Hayek as Ajak, a male character in the comics;
- Don Lee as Gilgamesh, a.k.a. “The Forgotten One.” He developed his superhuman strength and durability to a far greater degree than the norm for Eternals;
- Lia McHugh as Sprite, adept at manipulating matter;
- Kit Harington as Dane Whitman, a human who carries a mystical sword;
- Barry Keoghan as Druig, who can use cosmic energy to control minds.
What’s It About?
In the comics, the alien Celestials intended the Eternals to be the defenders of Earth. This leads to the inevitability of war against their destructive counterparts, the Deviants. The Eternals were created by Jack Kirby and made their first appearance in The Eternals #1 (July 1976).
The Dazzling Final Trailer
Just a few months before Eternals bows in theaters and Marvel Studios is already giving us one last look. In the latest trailer for the star-studded film, we learn why the Eternals didn’t intervene when Thanos eliminated half of Earth’s population. And we also get a glimpse at Deviants, the monsters they protect humans from.
Alongside the trailer, which also gives us a tiny look at Kit Haringon’s Dane Whitman, Marvel also released a jaw-dropping poster featuring the titular beings.
When’s It Coming Out?
Eternals is slated for release on November 5, 2021.
Originally published July 20, 2019, and updated on August 20, 2020, and May 3, 2021.