Lando Calrissian is more than a man. He’s a presentation. He’s the kind of guy who selects every piece of his outfit with deliberate care because he knows it makes a statement about who he is. Lando’s putting together a package for the world to admire, and also, he talks about his package in Daniel José Older’s new Star Wars book, Last Shot.
What do I mean by most Lando? When you imagine the character, you think about someone who’s suave, flirtatious, and enamored with himself and clothing. And you’d be right. Last Shot focuses in on Lando, with detailed descriptions of him choosing an ensemble and getting dressed, but Older also takes care to show Lando has more depth–way more than he wears on his sleeve. I’ll let you read the book to discover Lando’s inner thoughts on your own, but I need to highlight a particular passage on page 41 of the hardcover edition about part of an outfit Lando’s wearing:
“Pants: Dark purple with a gold stripe up either side. Pressed and creased sharply down the middle, of course. Subtly flared at the hems over shined and waxed narrow-tip dewback-skin boots, sloping inward and tight toward the top. Tight enough for a bulge and insinuation of an ass; not so tight as to cut off circulation or impede a smooth cavort across the dance floor.”
Lando taking note of and admiring his butt and bulge is everything I didn’t know I needed from a Lando story.
A few more facts about Lando in Last Shot (these could be considered minor spoilers):
- Toddler Ben Solo calls him “Unca Wanwo.”
- His ship in the post-Return of the Jedi timeline is the Lady Luck. The ship belonged to Lando first in Legends; it was introduced in Heir to the Empire.
- When he owned the Millennium Falcon, he did indeed have a cape closet. Ron Howard previewed what it will look like in Solo:
Last Shot is available today, April 17, wherever you buy books.
Images: Del Rey, Lucasfilm
Amy Ratcliffe is an Associate Editor for Nerdist. She likes Star Wars a little. Follow her on Twitter.
- Add some Lando style to your work day with a DIY lanyard.
- More Han and Lando books you should read.
- The best Lando Calrissian gifs.
[brightcove video_id=”5767201905001″ brightcove_account_id=”3653334524001″ brightcove_player_id=”rJs2ZD8x”]