How many countries there are is a matter of dispute, since the definition of the term varies depending on the factors you consider, but one thing we can agree on is that there are 206 sovereign states in the world, so that's the figure we're going to go with. Anyway, the reason we bring this up is because with so many countries in the world, there are bound to be a ton of interesting facts about them.
The latest video from Wendover productions proves that, as they just put out a video that reveals at least one interesting fact about the world's countries, and boy are there many. Here are a few of our favorites, some of which you may already know:
- Due to the bizarre time zones of Afghanistan and China, "stepping over the 47 mile long Afghanistan-China border jumps you forward by three-and-a-half hours. That's the largest single time zone jump on Earth."
- Canada "is so huge, in fact, that its easternmost point is closer to Croatia than it is to Vancouver."
- South Africa is "the only country in the world to have three capitals: Cape Town is the seat of parliament, Pretoria is home to the president, and Bloemfontein is the judicial capital."
- Mozambique's name "scores higher in Scrabble than any other one-word country."
- In Liechtenstein's last military engagement "in 1886, none of the 80 soldiers were injured or killed, and they actually returned with 80 people, since they made a 'new Italian friend.'"
There's a ton more to unpack here, and this video only has half of the world's countries (the second part will be released soon), so check it out above and learn yourself a little something today.
Featured image: Neil Tackaberry