If, like me, you are of a certain age you won’t even debate the greatest Happy Meal toy in history. That title unquestionably belongs to the McNugget Buddies. Every kid wanted all of those delightful figures from the moment they debuted in 1988. Not that we all have jobs and can make our decisions, though, they haven’t been available for over 25 years. But we don’t have to wait much longer. McDonald’s is launching a new set of McNugget Buddies in Adult Happy Meals.
McDonald’s has announced (in news we first heard about at DesignTAXI) “reimagined” McNugget Buddies are coming on December 11. They’ll be available in the U.S. and select markets around the world. The fast food chain has partnered with artist Kerwin Frost for the Kerwin Frost Box collection.
The returning Adult Happy Meals will come with either 10-McNuggets or a Big Mac. Far more importantly they’ll also have one of Frost’s McNugget Buddy collectibles.
The set also boasts “mix-and-match” outfits so you can personalize your figures. In a press release, McDonald’s said “Kerwin’s childhood experiences and belief that everyone should feel free to express themselves” inspired the designs.
The new McBuddies, all of whom have an official backstory, include:
- Kerwin Frost – The Mayor of Frost Way is a true champion of the Buddies and encourages them to be themselves. In his free time, catch him adding art to his collection or fixing things around the neighborhood.
- Don Bernice – The Wise Stylist, an experienced fashion designer who creates all the outfits for the Buddies in Frost Way, while also offering stern advice (that’s always nice!). After all, she is “don” – the very best!
- Uptown Moe – The Neighborhood Hero, the no-nonsense, street-smart, supportive guy from around the block in Frost Way everyone knows and loves. He also gives the best motivational speeches on a whim.
- Waffutu – The Curious Optimist, who grew up in Frost Way and was raised by the whole neighborhood. She spreads positivity wherever she goes and can turn any frown upside down with the wave of a wand and tilt of a crown.
- BRRRICK – The Cool Guy, the most adventurous Buddy in Frost Way who speaks in puns, loves trying new things and techno music. He’s lowkey nervous, but always cool under pressure.
- Darla – The Dreamer, a soft-spoken yet peacefully confident singer who moved to Frost Way to pursue her dream of becoming a superstar as the lead singer of “The Frostettos.” When she’s not on stage, she’s running the local McDonald’s in Frost Way – where she’s employee of the month every month!
Obviously we must have them all. And we will. Oh we will. Because unlike when McBuddies first came to McDonald’s years ago, we don’t have to convince an adult to buy us a Happy Meal. We’re the adults now! Sort of!