Netflix recently announced that production was beginning in Toronto for Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities. Additionally, the streamer unveiled an episodic list, a dynamo cast, and a list of directors that will make horror fans salivate. Rupert Grint of Harry Potter fame even joined the fun. But he’s not the only incredible name on onboard for this anthology series. A recent teaser from the network revealed even more incredible actors who would take part in the show.
Cabinet of Curiosities‘ Teaser Trailer
The new teaser revealed Eric André, Sofia Boutella, Ismael Cruz Córdova, Kate Micucci, and Charlyne Yi will also come aboard the show, alongside the long cast list already announced. Additionally, it highlights that the eight new stories in the anthology come from “today’s most revered horror creators, including the directors of The Babadook, Splice, Mandy, and many more.”
The official synopsis for the series is below:
In CABINET OF CURIOSITIES, acclaimed Academy Award-winning filmmaker and creator, executive producer and co-showrunner Guillermo del Toro has curated a collection of unprecedented and genre-defining stories meant to challenge our traditional notions of horror. From macabre to magical, gothic to grotesque or classically creepy, these eight equally sophisticated and sinister tales (including two original works by del Toro) will be brought to life by a team of writers and directors personally chosen by del Toro.
Cabinet of Curiosities Episode Details
Del Toro sold the series to the streamer back in 2018 under the working title 10 After Midnight. A more detailed look at the episode list is available below.
- Essie Davis (The Babadook), Andrew Lincoln ( The Walking Dead), and Hannah Galway (Sex/Life) star in an episode written (based on an original story by Guillermo del Toro) and directed by Jennifer Kent (The Babadook; The Nightingale).
- Academy Award winner F. Murray Abraham (Mythic Quest; Homeland), Glynn Turman (Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom; Fargo; The Wire), and Luke Roberts (Ransom; Black Sails) will appear in an episode written by David S. Goyer (Dark City; The Dark Knight; Batman Begins) (based on a short story by Michael Shea), and directed by David Prior (The Empty Man; AM1200).
- Tim Blake Nelson (Watchmen; The Ballad of Buster Scruggs), Elpidia Carrillo (Predator; Bread & Roses; Euphoria), Demetrius Grosse (Fear The Walking Dead; Boon; Lovecraft Country), and Sebastian Roché (The Man in the High Castle; The Young Pope) star in an episode written by Regina Corrado (Deadwood; The Strain) (based on an original story by Guillermo del Toro); and directed by Guillermo Navarro (Godfather of Harlem; Narcos)
- Crispin Glover (Rivers Edge; Tim Burton’s Alice In Wonderland; American Gods; Back To The Future; Willard; Charlie’s Angels), and Ben Barnes (Shadow and Bone; Westworld; The Punisher) star in an episode written by Lee Patterson (Curve; The Colony) (based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft) and directed by Keith Thomas (Firestarter; The Vigil).
- Peter Weller (upcoming The Colosseum; Naked Lunch; Star Trek Into Darkness; Robocop) stars in an episode directed by Panos Cosmatos (Mandy), who also writes along with Aaron Stewart-Ahn.
- Mika Watkins (Origin; Black Mirror; Troy: Fall of a City) writes an episode (based on a short story by H.P. Lovecraft) directed by Catherine Hardwicke (Thirteen; Lords of Dogtown; Twilight); with cast to be announced.
- David Hewlett (SEE, The Shape of Water; Stargate: Atlantis) cast in an episode written (based on a short story by Henry Kuttner) and directed by Vincenzo Natali (In The Tall Grass; Splice; Cube; Hannibal)
- Haley Z. Boston (Brand New Cherry Flavor) serves as writer of an episode (based on a short story by comic book author Emily Carroll) directed by Ana Lily Amirpour (A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night; Mona Lisa and the Blood Moon; The Bad Batch) with cast to be confirmed.
We don’t yet know which episode Rupert Grint will take part in, but according to Deadline, he has been on Del Toro’s radar since his role in Servant.
The Release Date for Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities
Del Toro is known for magical realism. With a cast that includes the likes of Andrew Lincoln, Ben Barnes, and Rupert Grint, we just can’t wait to see one of our favorite Mexican directors dive back into our nightmares.
Guillermo del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities does not have a release date thus far. But its teaser trailer notes it is coming in 2022.