Episode 93: You Made It Weird
Kumail Nanjiani Returns
You Made It WeirdYou Made It Weird

You Made It Weird #93: Kumail Nanjiani Returns

Kumail Nanjiani (Letterman! Comedy! The FIRST YMIW Guest!) comes back to discuss so so so many things. Toothpicks, love, comedy, faith, all of it. It’s all in here. Just a great and wonderful, special episode. If you enjoy it half as much as Pete did, you’re going to lose your minds. HOORAY, WEIRDOS!! Come see us tape our ONE HOUR COMEDY CENTRAL specials in Austin on October 23rd and 24th! Be there, please!! I promise a good time, possibly a hug. YES!

Follow @kumailn on Twitter and click here to get tickets to his Comedy Central special taping on October 24th!

Austin Weirdos- Get FREE tickets to Pete’s Comedy Central special taping on October 23rd!

Follow @peteholmez on Twitter and Like the show on Facebook. Buy YMIW shirts and Pete’s album “Impregnated with Wonder”!

Support the show by clicking on the banner below and shopping at!

1. Jordan says:

@Layla I agree about being shocked by hearing Pete’s ex-wife’s name, but I was going to say that it makes PERFECT sense that she’s named Becca. I mean, she went to a Christian college, met a guy, then broke his heart… sounds JUST LIKE a “Becca” to me.

2. Listen to yourself says:

“I feel like this podcast has run its course.” –Ted

Don’t worry guys, Ted is just in his super-villain-one-liners phase.

3. Listen to yourself says:

I believe a comedian named Paul Gilmartin (from the Mental Illness Happy Hour podcast) also called it “jacuzzi shitters”.

4. jimjim says:

Pete, if a girl is clearly flirting with you and you want to hook up with her, your best approach is to just keep your mouth shut. Just play it cool and let her enjoy seducing you.

5. Kylie says:

“When we were in Lyle, there was some guy who had a bit like, ‘There’s a law for a reason! Everyone wants to fuck 15 year olds!”

Yes, and that guy is Marc Maron. His bit is about going to a shopping mall and being disappointed that the girls there don’t look at him anymore. And he says: “And it’s not that I want to fuck teenaged girls, I just want some recognition! A compliment, a smile, anything! Just acknowledge me!

“… I was lying earlier, by the way. Of course I want to fuck teenaged girls. Doesn’t everyone? That’s why there’s a law!”

I’m pretty sure it’s everyone’s favorite Marc Maron bit.

6. Emile says:

Great episode. I can’t build a sentence competent enough to convey how I felt about Kumail talking about Emily’s coma. I wish you all the best. Also feel exactly what he says about feeling estranged to ‘my people’ without be able to fully integrate the western world. ‘My people’ are Iranian, I live in France and can’t say positively where I am the product of. Anyway, in addition to being a great comedian and a video game erudite, now I know Mr Nanjiani has a very elegant soul and a ‘well-made-head’ as we say in French (‘une tête bien faite’) and this fills me with joy and comfort that there are sensible, reasonable, kind, and generous people out there that don’t take the easy paths, without their intellectual compass pointing to obvious and obsolete moral paradigms.

7. Jason says:

SOMEONE has a bit like, “Of course we want to fuck 14 year-old girls. That’s why there’s a law”?????? SOMEONE????? Pete, you need to call your comedy dad and apologize.

8. That ‘Eternal Sunshine’ scene had me bawling my eyes out as well. It was probably the last time I cried. I just recorded a podcast episode referencing that.

9. smith says:

PETE LIVED ON NORTH LEAVITT?! I lived less than four miles south of your old place, on Leavitt, in 2006. God, I just love it. Enjoying this episode so much for this reason and so many others.

10. Sporin says:

Best ep in a while!

This is Pete’s sweet-spot… the eps with people he knows really well are enlightening, hilarious, and heartfelt. I hope Pete continues to revisit some of his early guests.

This is a free podcast!?

11. Joe says:

@Brian – I don’t want to turn this into an argument over the existence of God. I believe and if you don’t, that’s okay. I conceded the idea of the tumor spreading. What I’m saying is that if the morality center of the brain is blocked or damaged and the person ends up acting on an immoral impulse that they can’t control, I think that God would show leniency and weigh that differently. How He would go about that, I’m not sure. However, if they do something terrible due to something wrong with their brain along with the full knowledge that what they are about to do is wrong, God will judge them accordingly.

12. Joe says:

Look guys, I’m telling you right now, astral projection is real. I tried it several times about 10 years ago. Only once did it work and I didn’t make it all the way. It took me about 30 minutes. I was laying down and started to feel myself quickly slipping upward, but my body wasn’t going anywhere. I got so terrified that I stopped concentrating and it felt like I was literally dropped onto the bed from the ceiling. Needless to say, I never tried it again. Astral projection could be amazing, but I’m way too horrified to totally let go.

13. Brian says:

@Joe – Insisting on calling another part of the brain “the heart” just conflates the issue. You’re imparting this section of the brain with the power and control to override other parts unilaterally if the individual just “tries really hard”. Does this notion have any basis in scientific fact? The difference between the guy being a pedophile and his ability to sort out why he’s feeling that way would’ve been erased had the tumor spread (or he’d just die suddenly). In essence, he had a time limit he was working against, albeit unknowingly. God’s Window of Judgement, perhaps? This is another example of putting God in the position of what’s unknown, which makes him/her no more special than any placeholder variable in science (of which there are quite a few). Except in science we have a reason to put the variable there, and we can design experiments to test them.

14. Ron Miller says:

My favorite episode ever. Covered so many emotions. Please tell Kumail he is an American. (he said he didn’t think of himself as one) I think hes way American. Like mega American. He makes me feel less Amercian.

15. Ted Lange says:

You made it weird is not just a hilarious comedy podcast, it is pure therapy. Every episode makes me laugh, think, grow and sometime cry.

The latest episode with Kumail Nanjiani was the pinnacle of pure human emotional growth. Every episode I listen to makes me want to be a better person and see the world in a better light, but being able to take part in the conversation between Pete and Kumail was inspirational and possibly life changing.

I want to thank you Pete for letting us all take part in something so personal and meaningful.

16. Joe says:

@Brian – I believe in God and science. I don’t believe that God is that “hands on”. If someone is chemically imbalanced or is stricken with cancer, that’s genetics or environmental. As long as a person is raised morally, I believe that their conscience should be able to determine if what they are about to do is right or wrong. Now, you can make an argument if the part of their brain that affects conscience has been compromised.

I think most people have suffered from depression at one time or another. That is a chemical reaction happening in the brain. Dark thoughts can come with that. I feel like most people can step back from those thoughts and tell themselves to stop. I think Kumail brought up the example of the guy that was having thoughts about pedophilia and went to the doctor for help. His “heart” told him what he was thinking was wrong. That’s what I feel makes the difference when it comes to God’s judgment.

17. Alec says:

This episode had it all. Gross jokes told from a safe place, heartfelt sentiment and juicy philosophy talk. I loved the way Kumail described that sense of wonder at the natural working of the universe. How awesome is it that a couple of meatbags could produce such a fun conversation?

18. Brian says:

@Joe, the whole issue is that their brain is compromised. Despite the turn of phrase “know in your heart,” our hearts don’t actually know anything. So any critical thinking you attribute to one’s heart is still one’s brain, which is being messed with by a tumor. If you assume God is going to judge them at all, then you have to assume God changed/formed their brain (or added the tumor) to think this way in the first place. To which I say, “WTF God?”

19. Joe says:

During your conversation about why would God judge someone negatively if they have a tumor or some improper chemical balance in their brain making them do immoral stuff, I think it is more of a heart issue than a brain issue. If they feel compelled to do evil things, but know in their heart that it is wrong, they should find help. I feel that God forgives these people. If they know that it is wrong and they act on it anyway, I don’t think God will be so lenient on them. Just my two cents.

20. Carley says:

This might be my favorite episode ever. Candy Corn killed me.

21. One thing I’d really like to say is the fact that before obtaining more personal computer memory, consider the machine in to which it is installed. In the event the machine is usually running Windows XP, for instance, a memory threshold is 3.25GB. Using greater than this would simply constitute any waste. Make certain that one’s mother board can handle the upgrade quantity, as well. Thanks for your blog post.

22. nick says:

awesome podcast, good job guys

23. Aarika says:

So jealous of everyone in the Greater Austin area – back-to-back Kumail and Pete? Awesome.

24. stephanie says:

So beautiful, Kumail + Emily forever.

25. Nich Hustler says:

Kumail and Pete, I am already excited for this. Busy downloading now.

26. for real. says:

what’s a pol pot?

for fucks sake, pete

27. mitchell b says:

really loved this one as well

28. Lee Benningfield says:

My favorite part was when Kumail said “inexorably”. I love that word.

29. Josh says:

“There’s nothing worse than calling a woman sweetheart as she’s tasting shaving cream on your dick.” is officially the best thing I’ve heard all day. Free podcast people.

30. Patod says:

Pete and Kumail are my favorites. This show always has me coming back for more. <3 you Peter.

31. mitchell b says:

i know ive said this before but i would love to hear you and matt mccarthy do one of these! i love front page films.

32. jsl says:

Letter name? Dee? Kay? Bea? Elle? Em?

33. Dennis says:

Well I’ll certainly never eat Neopolitan ice cream the same way.

34. Charles H says:

Every time Pete referenced Appleton my heart light up a bit. Went to his show last Thursday and it was fantastic.

35. lookleftandsmile says:

don’t shit in our soup ted!

(love that kumail is back – you both are hysterical on mashup too!)

36. Layla says:

Whoaaaaaa…hearing the ex-wife’s name was SUPER weird. She doesn’t seem like a ‘Becca’ from everything you’ve said about her. More like a Hannah or a Heather. *shrug*
    Beautiful story about Emily from Kumail, too. I want what they have!!!
    P.S. Bring back Mantzoukas!!!

37. Mark says:

“oh my god emily” is right, wow. I haven’t listened to her episode yet and didn’t know any of this stuff.

38. Melissa Briggs says:

Such a sweet episode! I got very teary eyed when Kumil shared the story about Emily.

39. Melissa says:

Ted, shut your face. No one is forcing you to listen.

Can I live on the commune too?

40. devin says:

keep it crispy Kumail And Pete!

41. ben says:

I’d tell you to get Chelsea back but she’s too busy doing her own podcast.

42. Sheila says:

The candy corn comment has completely ruined Lewis Black’s candy corn bit for me…

43. Laura says:

Who doesn’t love a good shaft coloured towel?
    This episode was a parfait of goodness!

44. Charles H says:

Pete, I think you are now the skinny Val Kilmer. So you got that.

45. Nick Person says:

I absolutely love that so many of your podcasts are two or more hours. Love long podcasts.

46. Lisa says:

Pete – Really excited you got Kumail back! Fantastic episode, love listening to you two chat!!

47. jamison says:

I am going to see you guys in Austin… if you’re still going to smoke after I can bring you a present, and avoid making it weird by not inviting myself along (just a hand off in the hand shake line)…

48. Ted says:

I feel like this podcast has run its course.

49. kumail says: