Episode 83: You Made It Weird
Live from SF Outside Lands!
You Made It WeirdYou Made It Weird

You Made It Weird #83: Live from SF Outside Lands!

Holy shit. The weirdest, most uncomfortable episode ever. By far. I mean, buckle up. IT. GETS. AWKWARD. Yeeeeek! With the hilarious Eric Andre (The Eric Andre Show!), Jackie Kashian (Dork Forest podcast!), Jon Glaser (Delocated!) and Brett Gelman (NBCs Go On, Eagleheart!). Soak in the weirdness, then shower afterwards. NOT FOR THE FAINT OF AWKWARDNESS!

Follow @peteholmez on Twitter and Like the show on Facebook. Buy YMIW shirts and Pete’s album “Impregnated with Wonder”!

Support the show and click on the banner to get a 15 day free trial with GameFly!

1. Hal says:

The funny thing about Brett Gelman is that one sometimes gets the distinct impression that although he exaggerates it for comedic effect, there is a genuine undercurrent of mental illness that underlies everything else about who he is as a person.

2. Itchyrich says:

The reason most of these comments are team Pete is because it is obvious Pete’s comment was innocuous and that he meant no offense. He was just trying to connect and have a interesting conversation with a man who decided to go on a someone else’s comedic casual chat show, in front of a live audience, and be aloof. Jon’s ego decided that it was more important to keep it real then to have a fun moment with performers. For that I give Jon one “make Jim Gaffigan mad by taking his seat” out of five. P.S. being polite and brown nosing not the same thing

3. onReload says:

Haven’t heard it yet, but from what I can tell from the comments, I wonder if this was referenced on another YMIW…Pete mentioned to someone (I forget whom) that he HAS offended people, and mentioned a live show where he felt really bad for a long time afterward. This must be awkward for him, to put it out there for people to hear…but it’s good that nobody “Gallagher’ed” on him, right?

4. AndrewP says:

*Jamaican accent* Come to Pete’s podcast, the host is weird and the tension is palpable.

5. Alex says:

Wow, can’t believe everyone is so lockstep against Jon. To me Jon was 100% right that it was a shitty thing to bring up. I actually thought it was refreshing, in such a passive aggressive society, to hear someone actually call someone out when they deserve to be. I’m sure Pete makes fucking bank on those commercials, they are on all the goddamn time and have been for years. To bring it up not only on a podcast but a live podcast in front of an audience, out of the blue, was completely out of line. To shit on Jon for making things awkward and “shutting down the comedy” when it was Pete’s fault for bringing up a sensitive and wholly unfunny topic is just disingenuous.

Seriously, what was Jon supposed to say in response to it being brought up? There was no comedic route to go navigate that cliff. Listen to it again, it was all Pete’s fault, not Jon’s.

6. ryantyler says:

What is most weird is how the first uncomfortable situation paved the way for the next. When that emotion is brought to the table, it seems really difficult to redirect the mood of the collective. Most likely it is because those interactions are hard to come by, but the episode in general left a bad taste in my Woody Allen.

7. Matt says:

Wow a lot of hate for Glasser.. Uncomfortable, but well within his right to react how he felt fit. Not agreeing with the outburst at all but as fellow weirdo’s I don’t feel like we should slaughter the poor guy.
    Anyway, full support for Pete! Please keep doing exactly what you’re doing and don’t let a little hiccup make you change your approach at all! You dealt with the situation like an expert and my respect for you has only increased 10 fold!
    YAY for Pete Holmes!!!

8. aedan says:

SOOOOOO….new trend…guests being assholes. not a huge fan

9. aedan says:

I know this shouldn’t bother me so much, but that comedian who got mad at pete was a fucking asshole. Pete shouldn’t feel bad cause that could have been hilarious

10. kumar says:

i really want to be friends with pete holmes

11. Jessica says:

This episode was the weirdest, but amazing in its awkwardness. I saw all these comics but Jackie at Bridgetown comedy festival and they were all amazing in their own way. It was weird to hear Gelman being upset not for pure comedic effect. I’m glad by the end of the episode he and Andre were able to see it was a bit of an overreaction to a misunderstanding. Clearly Pete was not prepared for what happened but he rode it out and let it be weird.

12. HOLY SHIT! says:

HOLY SHIT….that was awesome.

13. Patod says:

This got so weird. I loved it. <3

14. Alan says:

Good job Gelman and Glaser for bringing comedy to a screeching halt. Beardy twats.

15. three toes of fury says:

Ive listened to a shitton of comedy podcasts and never come across anything like this one. John Glaser was the single worst guest ive ever come much so that im in awe and disbelief of his ignorance of his jerk-ness throughout the entire segment. I will always cut alot of slack for live shows and potential guest nervousness however he was a complete asshole. Pete: you did NOTHING wrong and gave him alot of out’s to redeem himself and reconnect on the E-trade stuff. He was just a jerk. The best..and worst..part of the segment was the ending where he shushed everyone so he could talk and proceeded to reassure the crowd that he was fine and it was all ok…he was COMPLETELY oblivious to what an asshole he was as a guest and had the balls to reassure folks that he was fine as if he was in the right all along?????? Wow.

Pete: thanks for the awesome podcast…this one was the weirdest for sure and you’re a trooper for how you handled it….keep the great podcast coming and good luck with your tv development and comedy central hour…cant wait.

Peace .n. E-Trade chose very VERY wisely

16. EmGee says:

Sally – I totally agree. Great episode though. I wasn’t expecting a double dose of tension.

17. Steve says:

Seriously, one of the best episodes. The Jamaica stuff was amazing, and the awkwardness was equally amazing. Thank you for releasing the episode.

18. Miranda says:

Um wow… Thanks for the warning. That was stressful.

19. Mark says:

@sally: Good point about Glaser’s aloofness at the beginning of his appearance.

20. asdf says:

best show ever haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

21. Brentholomew says:

Wowee zowee, Pete!
    This is stressing me out thinking about it hours later.

22. sally says:

IMO Glaser was not playing “yes, and..” from the moment he walked out and laid down on the stage and went into the audience so he “wouldn’t have to say anything the whole time..” which would have been “fine by him”. He was being curt and unenthused in his responses before Pete’s gaffe. In fact his seeming unwillingness to engage is probably what prompted Pete to reeeeach for some kind of connection/ commonality they had and… yes it was probably not the right guy for that topic but many comedians would have turned it into a “bit”. As an actress I have lost out parts to friends and it’s a something we joke about…

23. JSL says:

You should really listen to this twice. Really funny episode. Pete, did you ever follow up on Joss Whedon and Firefly?

24. Mark says:

Also (you can probably tell from my previous comment), I don’t think Glaser overreacted. His reaction was jarring, but only because it’s something people tend not to do (communicate their offense, instead of avoidance/nervous laughter/etc). It’s uncommon but that doesn’t make it rude or over-reactionary. IMO, a willingness to show your hand and vulnerably engage the other person like that is laudable.

25. Mark says:

The people here calling Jon Glaser a “tool” or a “bitch” need to work on their empathy skills. Very antithetical to the M.O. of the show.

26. Tim says:

Well that certainly was a weird one! I think it is important to recognize that Glaser’s response may have been as harsh as it was because it was a live podcast. Money is an incredibly sensitive subject and it may have been one thing to discuss it in a room at Meltdown and a different thing entirely to discuss it in front of a crowd.

27. NickTesla says:

Holy shit this was the best podcast yet, I honestly felt anxious for Pete and Eric, neither of whom I feel did anything wrong.

28. each1teach1 says:

Isn’t sensitivity a defining mark of a comedian – being able to notice things that civilians would leave untouched etc? And Jon Glaser is an amazing writer and performer. He just doesn’t have what it takes to be an e-trade baby.

29. Alex says:

That was a great great show. I loved Jon Glaser turning into a bitter tool bag. Hard to imagine a comedian would be so damn sensitive to a comment. Go back to your horrible show and let the funny people be funny.

30. Jeff MacDonald says:

I totally understand where both comedians were coming from in that exchange. Pete was looking for a common link with Glaser to talk about and his mouth moves faster than his brain (like many comics) and he didn’t realize it could come off sounding pretty terrible in the context. I’m sure it was a sore spot for Glaser since although he is doing well now, he probably wasn’t doing as well back when that job was up to the two of them and the wound still exists.

Anyway, this is the reason this isn’t just another comedy podcast and why I will keep tuning in. Pete you make an awesome show and I hope you are able to repair any bridges that accidentally catch on fire.

31. Brendan L says:

God, I have mixed feelings about this episode. Of course, most people who are listening to this podcast are obviously biased to give Pete the benefit of the doubt. I am one of those people.

That being said, I only partially agree with how Jon handled it. I definitely agree that he shouldn’t have just let it slide. If he knows Pete at all, he should know that that bit of unprofessionalism was clearly not intentional and I feel he could have handled it better. The correct response would have been to tell Pete that he sincerely doesn’t appreciate that he brought it up and keep it there. He acted kinda like a scorned lover and mentioned “boatload of free cash” and “not sure why I told my agent yes to this podcast”….both unnecessary.

I second all the other people giving props to Eric and Jackie for trying their best to keep it light…well deserved.

32. Kass says:

I love Eric Andre. I’m going to be trying to shoehorn a rock steady joke in my brain for the next few days. And Jackie might be my new favorite person, holy shit. That was amazing.

RE: Comics- the 90’s cartoon made me love Superman, but Super Dickery is a thing ( )

My blood pressure went up. I’m glad it ended in hugs.

33. Todd Mason says:

The “Only the Lonely” Jackie is referring to is the Motels’ hit from about 1983, wherein the lyric runs “It’s like I told you/Only the lonely can play…” rather than get laid…but, then again, the Duran Duran lyric initially sounded like “Girls on pills/Girls on pills…” to me…which seemed perfectly in keeping with the social scene I imagined that band to wander through, as much as I cared.

34. Snacks says:

Pete should have sung a reggae “Jon Glaser is a sensitive baby man” song.

35. Ben says:

Wow. You weren’t kidding, Pete. This was very awkward and uncomfortable.

36. Josh says:

Jon Glaser is fantastic. Pete wants real responses and brought up some real uncomfortable shit, and that’s how it feels. I also love how Jon addressed it at the end, and explained it.

That is the premise of the show, but it’s also the risk of really weird stuff “hey, so I’m fucking your girlfriend now. How does that feel?” versus “thoughts on God?”

37. Roman says:

@nathan , brian, and terry

calm the f down, omg it was akward on a show called “you made it werid” he expressed his feelings, and was direct about it. Would you rather he not express his feelings, which is the premise of the show.

And he lost your respect? lol. oh no what will he ever do without the support of Nathan.

38. jimjim says:

Jon Glaser actually Made It Weird. Some people would have preferred he just played along all phony baloney? I’m glad he was honest and made it weird. The show’s not called “You Repressed Your Feelings to Make Everyone Else Comfortable”

39. judy says:

ooooohhh this made me so uncomfortable twice…

40. each1teach1 says:

@Nathan Why would he lose your respect? He stayed, gave truthful responses and eventually joked about it. And the eventual jokes were even stronger due to the tension he’d let build. Those are a much harder set of choices than just saying “Oh Pete you weirdo” and moving on. He’s a great and interesting comic performer.

41. jimjim says:

YOU MADE IT WEIRD 4 EVER! Pete, that was amazing. Thank you. Jon Glaser is such a badass for keeping it real. Wrist Hulk!

42. Nathan says:

Glaser definitely overreacted. What a bitter tool he was abou this. Thank God Jackie and Eric tried to lighten it.

Either way, he can’t get pissed for getting asked a question like this when going on a podacst called “You Made it Weird.” If there’s a strange topic between Holmes and anyone, he’s going to bring it up. On a podcast about weirdness. So decline the podcast invitation. Ridiculous. Glaser effectively lost my respect as a comedic performer.

43. Terry R says:

With all due respect, Jon Glaser’s a punk bitch in this episode … Eric Andre and Jackie are always awesome

44. rob says:

Jack Handey is actually a real man (with a cat and a hat):

45. each1teach1 says:

Oh yeah forgot about Jack Handey – he’s very real and there’s a great interview with him in Mike Sach’s Here’s the Kicker.
    And he used to work with Steve Martin!

46. Brian says:

Pete, I think what you said was fine. The guest reacted badly to the premise of the show. You weren’t rubbing the fact that you got the e-trade account in his face. He was, in fact, the one who mentioned the “shit-load” of money. He was predisposed to bitterness and could just as easily have dished out some awkward comment back to you in a playful manner. He wasn’t “game” from the get-go, in my opinion.

Now let’s get Yoda a soda!

47. jimjim says:

Jack Handey is a REAL person! One of the funniest writers ever.

48. Mel says:

Funny thing, us Minnesoooootan’s say pop. Not soda.

Yes, this is completely unimportant.

49. each1teach1 says:

Pete I love you and your show but you literally start every single episode with “this is the weirdest show we’ve ever done”. So even though you warned me with this episode I was not expecting not just one but two moments of supreme awkwardness. From two comedians that I adore (although I did suspect it would be from those two).
    I’ve long joked that money is one of the few remaining taboos. I can talk about cunnilingus or fears regarding my sexuality on stage but if I said in a genuine way “I earn $84,000 … how much do you make” that would make people uncomfortable in an interesting way (I have no idea about US$ figures – $84k is a lot right?). And not that specific set of words but talking about money like that but that general idea. I know how many pumps Petey Pants lost his VCard in and know his feelings on anal sex. I’m pretty sure he’d be very uncomfortable if I asked what he was being paid for the Midnight Show.
    But I’m very glad you posted it – it’s fascinating listening to the squirming and “real” in a way you don’t normally to hear (Free Podcast?). And the release of tension built up was almost cathartic.

Keep up the good work!
    And please release the Janeane Ga-Rolling On the Floor Laughing O episode.

50. Is this the first time someone has genuinely been mad at Pete on a podcast?