Episode 131: You Made It Weird
Matt Mira
You Made It WeirdYou Made It Weird

You Made It Weird #131: Matt Mira

Matt Mira (Nerdist podcast!) makes it weird!

Listen to Matt’s podcast, FEaB!

Follow @peteholmez on Twitter and Like the show on Facebook. Buy YMIW shirts and Pete’s album “Impregnated with Wonder”!

Support the show by clicking on the banner below and shopping at!

1. TimS says:

“Sorry baby, i got work. i know it suckssszzzzip dee doo dah!!!”

2. NotTheCIA says:

Finally, my weird thirst to know what went on with Matt and Gretchen is quenched. I know that sounds sarcastic, but I was not. I have no idea why I wanted to know what happened between the two. But jeez what an amazing episode. Not many of Pete’s annoying AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH’s that hurt my ears, more backstory to Matt ( not just the relationship), more funeral home talk. Fuck yeah this episode rocked. I’ll consider these three hours spent listening awesome.

3. Brandon Z says:

This was great! LOVE YOU MIRAAAA!

4. A Work Husband Dan says:

Yes, Myro, you did start a charrity. The poor thing had no friends — for a reason! (Been there, done that. Share in the bitterness!)

Here’s one for the shirt genius: “There’s a shirt for that?”

5. A Work Husband Dan says:

Pete, thank you for this very special episode of YMIW. I’m not joking. I could go on forever and a day about being a sad dad (without kids), in relationships with both the daughter girlfriends and the mommy girlfriends. When I finally broke off the last one after almost nine years it was amazing. I could finally watch G4 again (just before it started to die). I never knew this happened to others (the opressive relationships not the death of a channel). Thank you, Mr. Myro, you are now my favorite Nerdist over the bowler and the shirt maker. Thank you for sharing your nightmare with another brother.

6. Jack says:

You Made It Jewish with Pete Holmes. Think about it.

7. Megan says:

This was Mira at his best. I fucking love this episode!

8. kieran says:

Easily my most favouritest episode yet. Also there needs to be a YMIW with Katie as the guest. Like, yesterday.

9. Atticus says:

Mira-booey! What a great episode. It was good to hear Matt talk and have free reign. This episode was cathartic and I could relate in some ways. I also laughed my ass off at the breaking up for Pete& Pete. (who wouldn’t) And getting engaged for Salute your Shorts. Great episode. Now get Jonah Ray on here!

10. Ben redneckonize childs says:

Pete, you took me to my first laser show with the ‘thirty minutes or less’ comment. Matty hugs aren’t enough man, all my feels in your direction.

More Katie! Everyone needs the occasional background laughter from some one you didn’t even know was paying attention.

Btw Petey pistols you’re number one in our hearts but ole classy pants hard wick pays the bills, so go ahead; play outside, frollick, play stickball, drink from the hose because every fun dad needs some time to himself.

11. “An agnostic is just an atheist that lacks the courage of his convictions.” This is the popular view of agnosticism; that it is ambivalent somehow, that agnostics are just “not sure” whether God exists. The etymology of the word reveals the true nature of the philosophy, however: From the Ancient Greek ἀ- (a-), meaning “without”, and γνῶσις (gnōsis), meaning “knowledge.” Basically, agnostics believe that it is NOT possible to KNOW that God exists. We don’t say there is no God; we simply say there is no way to know for sure.

12. Andrew says:

I have no clue why, but I was totally enamored with this episode. Pete and Matt (and to a lesser extent, Katie), thanks for this episode. It didn’t even seem like 3 hours.

13. Mandy says:

My new favorite ep? I think so!!

14. Gropestha says:

I’ve been waiting to hear this story forever! Best YMIW so far.

15. Maya says:

Laser accuracy, more like laparoscopic accuracy. There was some serious compassionate listening and gentle yet deep cuts here, friends.

16. Darvin says:

I couldn’t help but throw this in….as a fantasy sports guy the diet soderberg joke instantly made me think of the ESPN Fantasy Focus podcast where they have a producer (Jay Soderberg) that runs a fantasy league called the Diet Soderberg League.

I instantly raced over here to see if there was possibly any overlap between the ESPN and YMIW fan bases. Does not appear to be so.

Welp…………good talk……..

17. Jessica says:

Wow this ep really hit home with a lot of things, one of my fav eps ever!

18. Sara says:

Pete: You broke up for Pete & Pete?
    Matt: Yeah, it’s a great show.
    Pete: I one time got engaged because of Salute Your Shorts.

I rewound that part five times and laughed so hard I cried.

19. John says:

Hey Pete and Matt, great ep! I connected with a lot of things in those three hours. Echoing some of the previous posts, I would fully endorse an ex-wife YMIW. My advice for Matt would be to call your former best friend – It can’t get any worse than it already is. Sounds like you both may want some closure on the issue.

20. Josh C says:

Mr. Miro, I think you are a cool dude. I also love DMB, they were the first band that I learned all the lyrics to all their songs, and the first band that made me feel very emotional when I listened to them. Hope you guys do a live podcast in Kansas City sometime, would love to see you guys.

21. Joe M says:

lol, a pizza on a record player. Laser.

22. ben says:

Wow, a few things. The picture for this ep makes me want to make Matt grow a unibrow. Also, 2 minutes longer than PETES BEST FRIENDS PODCAST with Matt McCarthy! I’d love for Pete to do a 3 hour podcast with ONE guest LIVE. Lastly, why did this ep make me google Matt’s gfs? I don’t even care about them.

23. Gabe says:

That was so good, made rest of my work day fly by. Laughing out loud in a quiet office full of people is great, thanks for that.

24. bashbash says:

I’ll take the ‘boring’ comment back. The funeral home talk was so interesting…keep it weird indeed!

25. bashbash says:

26. RJ says:

Wow what an epic fucking breakup story. I just hope Matt at least learned his lesson. Bravo on a great show!

27. Fellow_New_Englander says:

Jesus F-ING Christ!! 2 hours in –mira and holmes NAIL IT!! Being a New Englander, being non-confrontational, going through a divorce (or major break-up) while not knowing anyone growing up whose parents were divorced, seriously lacking in self-love and self-respect, not ever expecting to be happy in life but rather finding comfort in “meh- good enough”, etc etc. Wow!! Great podcast– Thank you

28. Tom says:

I’ll keep this short – this was far and away the best episode of the show that has been done, and there have been a LOT of amazing ones.

But this was, to borrow a term from you and Hardwick – a game changer.

I’ll be thinking about this one for days.

29. Mark says:

Oh, also, I can’t believe Pete hasn’t seen that episode of Mr. Show. Educate y’self, buddy:

30. Alec says:

As someone who’s dealt with self hatred, his Greta Breakup Saga— this portrait of a guy with a simultaneous hyper-awareness of and a blind spot for the things that are going wrong in his life— rang a bell.

(Jonah doing the verbal equivalent of a smack upside the head on The Nerdist podcast might make Matt more ‘presentable’ for polite company, but pure unadulterated Mira is really hilarious and cathartic)

I had to stop on the sidewalk and re-listen to this part fully absorb the magnitude of what had happened:

“…and we haven’t even moved in yet!”
    *Pete groans*
    *Katie groans*

If Pete says it’s his goal to make Katie laugh, getting that kind of a reaction is a whole other level.

31. calvinorion says:

I can’t wait to listen to this one, Matt is always funny and engaging on the Nerdist podcast. It really made me happy to see this posted because it’s been slow week in my podcast world. YMIW really hits the spot. :)

32. Patty Marvel says:

@Pete and Matt – You were discussing stepping outside your brain and observing yourself. That’s sort of discussed in the last fifteen minutes of this podcast when they mention the Albert Camus quote:

Just thought I’d share.

33. Mark says:

A Sturbridge Village reference??? DAAAAAANG

34. Jake says:

“You can’t do that on a podcast”

Made my year – It TOTALLY worked.

35. Spencer says:

Oh man, I loved this episode.
    Please make history with Making History.
    And also, thank you Matt Mira for bringing up Not Quite Human. I’ve been trying not very hard to find that movie for years. There’s a scene with a used watch salesman in the sequel that I’ve had rolling around in my brain since I saw it as a kid.
    But yeah, great episode all around! Loved Matt’s war stories!

36. Roman says:

I didn’t know it was possible to like this show more. Thank you for a great episode.

37. jsl says:

James, I wasn’t going to bring it up, but that thought occurred to me also when they were talking about reconciliation. A YMIW with the ex would be either the best, or the most awkward thing ever. It would be the must-listen podcast of the century, though.

38. Evan says:

Sweet Mormon Jesus, best episode ever.

39. James says:

Really enjoyable as usual! Matt Mira seems like a swellman. I’ll check out his standup.

Pete, if you could get your ex-wife on this show, holy shit, I’d pay $50 to download. I know she must listen to it. If there was a show where my ex talked about me to famous people twice a week, I’d listen to every episode (or kill myself). You should ask her though, it would be the weirdest thing ever and you’d get a trillion listens.

40. anthonyc says:

“Not yet. To both of those.” Laser.

41. jsl says:

So much laser in this episode, and great stories.

42. tzvi says:

to delete photos on an ipad tap and hold down in full view and in the top right corner there is a trash can. click. photo deleted.

Great interview love you guys, as a fellow former fat kid, so much catharsis. I still don’t know what it means to feel full, I only know hungry and so full it hurts.

43. Patty Marvel says:

I’m only two hours in and I really, REALLY want to give Big Papa a hug. There’s some uncomfortably true things being said in this podcast.

44. shirley says:

Ted is Greta! Coke and Pepsi are the same thing! Wake up people!

45. Matt Mira says:

@Ted It’s probably slightly better than 3 hours with Ted “Internet commenter” Whateverthefuck.

46. Kevin says:

“30 minutes or less” totally did not get the recognition it deserved. My God, Pete.

47. Three hours? Three hours?! THREE FUCKING HOURS!?!

Oh Pete! I fucking love you, man!

48. Cam says:

I can’t wait to listen to this tonight. This’ll occupy half of my shift!

49. Fabulous as always Pete! And congrats to Matt on the weight loss, holy cow!!

50. Ted says:

Three god-damn hours with Matt “Geek Squad” Mira? Holy Christ.