Win Yourself the Gift of Classic Cinema

Win Yourself the Gift of Classic Cinema

Part of the joy of being a fan of cinema is discovering movies you didn’t know existed, especially if those are from a bygone age and have been very difficult to obtain for decades. This year, Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment has attempted to fix that by holding a “Voice Your Choice” survey with Home Theater Forum in which fans could vote for which classic film from the 1930s, 1940s, 1950s, and 1960s should get a Blu-ray release. The results were astonishing, as nearly 80,000 votes were cast, leading Fox to elect to release both the winner AND the runner-up film from each decade, meaning eight classics are now available, as of December 3rd, for the first time ever in HD. And we’re giving all of them away to a lucky winner, just in time for the holidays. All 8 titles are available via FoxConnect, along with Cavalcade, the film that received the most write-in votes of any film.

The films in question are as follows:

1930s
Jesse JamesJesse James (#1)
(1939) Jesse James stars Tyrone Power as the most infamous bandit in the history of the West. Jesse James was a young Missouri farmer forced outside the law after ruthless agents for the transcontinental railroad kill his ailing mother and steal his family’s land. Together with his brother Frank (Henry Fonda), Jesse forms a gang of masked outlaws to strike back at the railroad company and the banks that have joined forces to swindle the oppressed farmers.

CallCall of the Wild (#2)
(1935) Jack Thornton has trouble winning enough at cards for the stake he needs to get to the Alaska gold fields. His luck changes when he pays $250 for Buck, a sled dog that is part wolf to keep him from being shot by an arrogant Englishman also headed for the Yukon.

1940s
GhostThe Ghost and Mrs. Muir (#1)
(1947) A romance between a young widow and a sea captain’s ghost weaves a magical tale of immortal love. Determined to live her life the way she wants, newly widowed Lucy Muir (Gene Tierney) declines her straitlaced in-laws demand that she live with them and moves with her daughter (a young Natalie Wood) to the seaside into a cottage haunted by the handsome, blustering Captain Gregg (Rex Harrison). A deal is struck between the two in the wee hours of the morning allowing Lucy to stay in the house and the captain to materialize only in the master bedroom. As they gradually get to know each other better, Lucy’s spunk and stubbornness gains first the captain’s grudging respect, then his heart. But when another man woos Lucy, both must face that her future lies with the living, not in the spirit world.

Black SwanThe Black Swan (#2)
(1942) Tyrone Power and Maureen O’Hara cross romantic swords in this epic Oscar-winning swash buckler about a pirate determined to reform his thieving ways – after he steals one last heart! Recently reformed pirate Jamie Boy (Power) is supposed to be helping the new Governor of Jamaica, Captain Morgan, rid the Caribbean of black-hearted buccaneers. But when Jamie falls head over keel for the heavenly – but hotheaded – Lady Margaret (O’Hara), he gives caution the heave-ho, kidnaps Margaret and sets sail for the adventure of a lifetime! Packed with “action, excitement, thundering guns and a maiden in distress”

1950s
CarmenCarmen Jones (#1)
(1954) Powered by Georges Bizet’s grand music and Oscar Hammerstein II’s magnificent lyrics, this Americanized all-black version of the classic opera Carmen is “a dynamic superb show” with a positively “incandescent Carmen.” (Newsweek) Oscar-nominee Dorothy Dandridge stars in the title role, a passionate, sexy creature who lures Joe
(Harry Belafonte), a handsome soldier, away from his sweetheart (Olga James). Following a fatal brawl with his sergeant, Joe deserts his regiment with the sultry femme fatale. But Carmen soon tires of him and takes up with a heavyweight prize-fighter (Joe Adams). Triggering Joe’s tragic revenge. Helping to set the screen on fire are Pearl Bailey and Diahann Carroll, part of the “sensational troupe” that makes this jubilant musical film “hard to beat.”

DeskDesk Set (#2)
(1957) Bunny Watson (Katharine Hepburn) heads up the research department at the Federal Broadcasting Company, a major TV network. And she does her job very well, thank you very much. Assigned by the network president to introduce computers into some of the department’s functions, Richard Sumner (Spencer Tracy) arrives at Bunny’s well-run division to observe daily activities. Unfortunately, however, Sumner is ordered to keep his mission secret. As a result, the whole staff believes they are being replaced. To make matters worse, there appears to be more than a little electricity between Bunny and Sumner, which upsets Bunny’s boyfriend Mike (Gig Young). As the tension mounts in the office, so do the laughs in this classic romantic comedy.

1960s
AlaskaNorth to Alaska (#1)
(1960) John Wayne and Stewart Granger strike it rich in this rousing comedy-adventure set in the heyday of the Alaskan gold rush. When prospectors Sam McCord (Wayne) and George Pratt (Granger) hit the mother lode, George asks Sam to go to Seattle and fetch his sweetheart, Jennie, but she has already married someone else. Determined to bring George a new love, Sam invites a saloon dancer (Capucine) back to Nome as Jennie’s replacement.

UndefeatedThe Undefeated (#2)
(1969) In the tumultuous aftermath of the Civil War, Union Calvary officer John Henry Thomas takes his heroic men west while southerner James Langdon takes his soldiers to Mexico. When their paths cross, they forge an uneasy friendship that is quickly tested as they get caught between Mexican rebels and the Emperor’s forces, and find themselves fighting side by side.

If these sound like something in which you would be interested, or if you’d like to make them the gift to a cinephile in your family, then leave us a comment below about which of those movies you’re most excited about. You must include a valid email address also, because we’re not gonna send a carrier pigeon to tell you you’ve won. All comments must be received by Friday, December 20th, 2013, so do not dawdle.

Comments

1. Luis Rede says:

Call of the Wild would be great, but you also can’t beat a couple of films from the Duke!

2. NeuroMan42 says:

North to Alaska… John Wayne for sure.

3. Craig Vinson says:

Undefeated all the way. So many great memories watching John Wayne movies with my dad. Duke wins every time

4. Zoe says:

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir!!

5. Rebecca says:

It’s The Ghost and Mrs. Muir for me!

6. Gavin says:

Desk set all the way. Great chemistry. I remember watching this on AMC 3 times during high school….This was back when AMC showed classic movies, before the amazing original TV show era of AMC.

7. Sarah Grace says:

Call of the Wild (#2) looks like a very entertaining film, I’d love to see it. I have not seen any of the film you listed.

8. Steve Heron says:

The one I would be most excited to watch would probably be Desk Set. It it’s hard to find movies with strong female protagonists today, let alone the 1950s, so it would be interesting to watch how they portray Bunny. Plus, it’s the only comedy on the list, all of the rest are either musicals, adventure films, or westerns. Plus with Spencer Tracey, Katherine Hepburn and even Gig Young, you know you’re in for a good time. Of course, they all intrigue me one way or another, but the one I’d pick up first would be Desk Set.

9. Lori Wise says:

It has to be The Ghost and Mrs. Muir for me. I have great memories watching it with my mom and grandma while they were alive. After that…Undefeated. Now there’s a great double feature for ya!

10. Miguel Sousa says:

I’d be interested in Call of the Wild in particular

11. Missy Duchesneau says:

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir! I love a good ghost story!

12. Jose Burgueno says:

I am a big John wayne fan. it would have to be the undefeated.

13. The Ghost and Mrs. Muir! I would love to have that on Blu-ray. I’m interested to see some of the others too, as I’ve only seen that one and Desk Set (which I found rather disappointing).

14. Yasamine E says:

Ohhh man the black swan! So my abuelita was in love with Tyrone Power and that love just genetically passed over to me. He was such an amazing actor! This is hands down one of my top swash bucklers ever to come out of Hollywood golden age! Besides… it’s Maureen O’Hara running around in night shifts and ball gowns being her usual feisty self!

15. Caroline Thomas says:

I love Desk Set (their lunch on the roof is worth the price of admission), but I have to pick Carmen Jones. I’m obsessed with the story of Carmen. She is such a complicated, fascinating character and I would love to see a non-traditional version and especially see Dorothy Daindridge in the role.

I’m so glad these classics are being released so more people (including me!) can see them!

16. Felicity Brown says:

It’s a toss up between The Ghost and Mrs. My it and Desk Set. But I think Desk Set wins. The ability to see it in widescreen and not cropped would be awesome.

17. Caroline says:

I absolutely love Desk Set (the scene on the roof is worth the price of admission), but I’m obsessed with the story of Carmen. She is such a complicated, fascinating character and I would love to see a non-traditional version and especially see Dorothy Daindridge as Carmen.

I’m so glad these classics are getting released so more people (including me!) can see them!

18. Jon B says:

Carmen Jones looks amazing.

19. Jon B says:

Carmen Jones. (Please let this post not be eaten)

20. Jon Brumitt says:

Carmen Jones. (This is my fourth attempt to comment. Your system keeps eating my comments and I never know when they’ll go through.)

21. Jon Brumitt says:

Carmen Jones sounds amazing. (Also, your posting system keeps eating my comments. I never know when a comment will actually get through.)

22. Jon Brumitt says:

I have heard amazing things about Carmen Jones, but seeing any of these classics in HD would be amazing.

23. Jon Brumitt says:

I’ve heard great things about Carmen Jones, and would love to see most of these classic in HD.

24. hassan Alamdari says:

Carmen Jones

25. Steve Heron says:

The one I would be most excited to watch would probably be Desk Set. It it’s hard to find movies with strong female protagonists today, let alone the 1950s, so it would be interesting to watch how they portray Bunny. Plus, it’s the only comedy on the list, all of the rest are either musicals, adventure films, or westerns. Plus with Spencer Tracey, Katherine Hepburn and even Gig Young, you know you’re in for a good time. Of course, they all intrege me one way or another, but the one I’d pick up first would be Desk Set.

26. Jade Jennings says:

I’m pretty geeked about watching The Black Swan and Jesse James. Please make my year and let me add these to my growing blu-ray collection!

27. Scott Nye says:

The Ghost and Mrs. Muir! Been wanting to see it for years. Even tried to one night, but the copy on Netflix was too shoddy.

28. Bret Dorman says:

I remember reading Call of the Wild when I was in elementary school! I’d love to check out a movie based on that book also starring Clark Gable! I had no idea! Wow!

29. Mike Hodgin says:

Love The Ghost and Mrs. Muir. Thanks!

30. R. Vinson III says:

Sold! I’ll take em.

31. Adam T Knabe says:

I’m excited for The Ghost & Mrs. Muir because of the fond memories I have from watching with my mother. Every time it would come on my mom would crackle with excitement. I loved Rex Harrison’s portrayal of the gruff ghost Captain Gregg.

32. Mikey O says:

Is definitely say North to Alaska, don’t see John Wayne doing comedic roles enough.

If only the Simpsons’ version of Paint Your Wagon had a full length release.

33. Larisa Lowery says:

Oy! Hard to pick which one I’m the most excited about – but I’ll say Desk Set. I LOVE all of those Katherine Hepburn/Spencer Tracy movies. Beats modern rom-coms anyday!

34. Eric says:

I’ll go with Carmen Jones, because I’m a musical nerd and the concept sounds fascinating.

35. Matthew Shoaf says:

My step mom loves the oldies but goodies, it would be an awesome gift for her

36. This entire list makes me so happy. I was just telling a friend yesterday that she needed to see The Ghost And Mrs. Muir, and now she can!

Of this whole (incredible) list, the one I’m most excited for is Carmen Jones. What a gorgeous film. I will fully and forever endorse any chance for Pearl Bailey to sing, but Dorothy Dandridge steals the show every single time she’s onscreen (which is fortunately a fair amount). Is the Blu-Ray soundtrack upmixed? Upmixed or preserved, I’m still 100% onboard for this Blu Ray!

37. Erika Weber says:

I am really excited about Desk Set. Katherine Hepburn is so sexy and funny. A great film I’d love to add to my collection!

38. Mackenzie E. says:

umm

39. Eddie says:

Call of the Wild for sure!

40. Peter says:

The film “The Black Swan” is an institution for three generations of our humble clan. When caught sporadically on T.V. it’s often met with a yell of delight.

41. Paul says:

I’m most excited about Call of the Wild.

42. Scott Norlin says:

Black Swan I’m most excited about because my girlfriend loves reading seafaring novels and who doesn’t like to watch pirates on the high seas! Looks like a swashbuckling good flick.

43. Pete says:

The film “The Black Swan” has been a family institution for three generations. Catching it sporadically on T.V. was always greeted with yells of excitement by my father. If won I can personally guarantee a loving and appreciative home for the entire collection. Thank You for your time.

44. Rex Baldazo says:

“Call of the Wild” is the movie I’d like to see most, out of these listed. Wasn’t that the movie where Clark Gable and Loretta Young had an affair during the filming?

45. patryk says:

the ghost and mrs muir is a classic

46. David Justice Murto says:

There’s a lot of good stuff here, but I’m most excited about Jesse James, which I saw in school and remember fondly because of an ultra-cool Henry Fonda as Frank James, and a suitably creepy John Carradine as Robert Ford.

47. Laura Penny says:

Call of the Wild, Clark Gable was my first real crush when I watched Gone With The Wind when I was 9 years old. They don’t make men like they used to!

48. patrick h says:

wow amazing selection

49. Stacy T. says:

Carmen Jones, definitely…

50. Dan Kosmo says:

It’s gotta be Call of the Wild. I’m such a big Clark Gable fan!