Watch A Brand New Web Soup Tonight!

If not for me or delightful web videos, then watch for the lovely Alison Brie (Community, Mad Men) who will be hottening up the show with her presence.

A brand new Web Soup airs tonight at 8p ET, right after Attack of the Show on G4! Please keep watchin’ em so we can keep makin’ em!

RE: the above picture. This was taken at a Bowling Proprietor’s convention in Las Vegas in 1980. What a machine! I mean, DUAL 5″ FLOPPY DRIVES!!! Look at the concentration and intensity in my eyes…the gadget lust…this would spawn a long and tumultuous relationship with computers that would manifest itself through a purchase the following year of my very first terminal: a Radio Shack TRS-80 that barely booted up.

What was your first computer?

Comments

1. Ali says:

Commodore 64! I remember a midi karaoke game and singing the Muppets “Movin’ Right Along” with my dad.

2. Steve says:

I had a TRS-80 also, we called it a TRaSh 80, and we had a sweet game called Parsec, which was a space game in which you navigate your ship through rocks and enemy rockets or something. This was the computer that I started programming in BASIC. I made a fine “Hello world!” program, which has served me fine to this day.

3. Mary Lawrence says:

I played Tooth Invaders on our VIC 20. Fun times.

4. Raymond Kemp says:

my very first computer was an IBM 1981 5150 PC,I don’t have any pictures of me with it but I found the same exact one on the web http://www.vintage-computer.com/ibm_pc.shtml it was fun to use at the time but now,seeing this picture I remembered playing all these horrible games.

5. Dave says:

Is that Eli Manning with you? I didn’t realize he was one of the extras on Lost and got transported back in time with the Island.

6. smartbunny says:

I too remember getting code from the computer magazines! I had forgotten all about that. We also used to write Mad Libs in BASIC using string variables; you know, what’s a noun, what’s an adjective etc and you’d end up with “Mary went to the TOILET and bought a BOOGER for five POOPS.”

7. Jay says:

I remember when I wanted to play a game that I didn’t have, I’d have to break out one of those magazines with BASIC source code in them, type it all into my Commodore, just to play it.

The worst part of it all was that I didn’t have the cassette tape drive to save the program on… so I’d have to type it all in again if I wanted to play it next time.

Those were good times, though…

8. NerdRage42 says:

My dad was a computer repair teacher at our local skill center. I remember our first computer had an amber and black screen and we attempted to get (text only) internet through CompuServe (awwww yeah! The OG CS muthatruckah!) We had the Jeopardy game on it and I believe it was the King Kong question that was wrong and it pissed me off!

My dad insisted on continuing use of that computer up until it’s death in about 2002. Yes, 2002…RIP

But my love for old compys is apparent in this drawing I did a few years back. SEXAY!

9. anonymouse says:

That is the “pre-nerd era”.

10. Dani says:

Ah, the Apple II E, the good old days before we worshiped Steve Jobs en masse…we’re still doing that right? Just let me check wikipedia on my Ipad before I post this.

11. DerekB says:

Apple IIe Was the first family computer

Packard Bell 486-DX2 Was my first personal PC.

X-Wing ran great on that machine too. Ah nostalgia…

12. Roscoe says:

A Commodore 64 just before I went to USAF basic training. My brothers benefited from it more than I did, if you consider Zork I through III a benefit.

13. Juan says:

Apple IIe

Yeah!!!

14. jay says:

The first computer I recall having in my house ran OS/2 Warp (i think). I remember it had this tabbed UI. I had some typing game on it. I remember when my dad bought our first soundblaster for our DOS box. It took him over an hour to get it working.

15. Mike says:

I had a Commodore 64, first with the tape drive, then with the floppy drive. B&W TV for a monitor (yes, kids, that is a tv without color).

16. Deltus says:

Do you remember a game on the TRS-80 that was a graphical (HA!) D&D sort of thing, where you typed in “a l” for “attack left”? I remember playing the game, vaguely, but cannot recall the name.

Oh, and did you ever have a CP/M machine?

17. Timmortal says:

Suddenly, the computer called out to Chris! “Chris… go forth and pursue web videos! It is your destiny!”

18. GaltoMasum says:

First computer bought in 1985 was a Commodore 64 with the C2N cassette drive, like so many others here. Between my friend and me, we had stacks and stacks of COMPUTE! magazines, and each month we would type in every program to see just how well it worked.

I still remember when COMPUTE! came out with MLX, and all you had to do was enter numbers instead of BASIC commands to do the programming. It was SO much easier to avoid data entry mistakes, but it was incredibly boring to program that way, and I didn’t really learn how programming actually worked.

I did eventually buy (well, it was bought FOR me) the 1541 5.25″ floppy drive and a Commodore dot matrix printer with NLQ capability. I even bought the Epyx Fast Load cartridge which REALLY decreased disk access time. That entire setup got me through 4 years of university!

Summer Games, Incredible Mission, Jumpman, LodeRunner, Bruce Lee, and the Zork series were my games of choice. But my real computer passion back then was music. For me, the C64’s SID chip was the best part. I “found” a copy of Master Composer through a local CUG and I was well on my way to being the next Thomas Dolby, Howard Jones, or Harold Faltermeyer! Sadly, most of the time I ended up only taking existing songs and pieces of sheet music and entering them into the C64 to get my own 3-voice versions of them. I still had hours of fun, though!

19. DarthChiChi says:

Atari 800XL… Why would you ever need more than 64k of RAM?

20. EroSennin says:

Oh if I was the cat in the palate cleanser I would have stuck that kid in the oven and made gingerbread cookies.

21. EroSennin says:

Joel is going to spank you Chris. I love the old school pc mic BTW. Where did you find that? The dollar store or the salvation army? I think the show might be cutting back on its budget because of all the awesome graphics. LOL

22. Josh says:

Commodore Vic 20! Thank you Nerdist for bringing up some highlarious memories!

23. keeve says:

a commodore vic-20 with a cassette drive. it also had cartridge-format text adventure games. it was so incredible.

24. crza says:

The Compaq I portable! My mom had to telecommute because of a surgery and we kept the computer from her work. Around 1986? Played leisure suit larry on it!

autoexec bitches!

25. Jackie says:

Great job on Web-soup tonight Chris. Highlight of my weak thank you!

Man-o-jeez I miss seein The ‘H’ team on Aots

26. Phil says:

Apple IIe! I remember the first assignment I ever wrote on it was about the book ‘Mrs Frisby and the Rats of Nimh’, and I printed it out in glorious dotmatrix.

Then I found Choplifter and I don’t think I used it for schoolwork much after that. :)

27. I had that same semi-intense look of anticipation and uncertainty whenever the SYSOP of the BBS I was connected to joined the session…like some kind of nerd-Jesus showing up during a D&D game…

Nice bowling locker-cubes! Was everything design-oriented or graphical in the 80’s square for cryeye?!
    Memmm-o-ries…

28. C. E. Croix says:

Don’t remember what type I had. I do remember being very excited about getting one, and then the crushing wave of disappointment when I was told we weren’t getting internet access. Yay for five years of having a glorified typewriter!

29. Tim says:

In high school, I took the only computer class they offered, which involved working on a machine without a monitor! Then I dragged my feet on getting a home computer for 7 years and finally bought a Mac Plus. It was the only computer I owned from 1988 to 1998. It couldn’t even get on the web except via AOL!

30. smartbunny says:

The Starpath Supercharger! The Starpath Supercharger!

whew. Thank god.

31. Joe says:

Chris,
    While it’s cool to reminisce about the good things that happened in our childhood…I can’t help but think there’s something else going on there in the picture…under the surface…OH MY GOD… Look at that guy’s eyes!!!

“Here, let me guide your hand, young man.”!!

Run, little Chris, Run!!

32. smartbunny says:

I had a Commodore 64 that we played Jumpman on. Anyone remember that cartridge you would plug into the Atari 2600 that attached to a cassette tape and you could play games with more memory like some kind of Maze game and a Star Wars-style space shooter thing? What was that called?