I know, I know. You’ve had it with the “Half-Life 3 Confirmed” jokes and probably face-palmed as soon as you read the title. I did too, but nonetheless, it’s an important rumor going around that we should probably discuss anyways. Yesterday, the folks from the Steam Database Twitter account noticed a suspicious file titled “hl3.txt” within the code for Dota 2’s recent update.
Sure, the name sounds like a dead ringer for Half Life 2‘s sequel, but is likely to be a coincidence or a troll on Valve’s part. What’s most intriguing is when you look at the code itself (which you can check out here), there are several references to things that are certainly out of place for Dota, but could potentially be available in HL3.
Some of the most interesting lines read:
- “NPCs that are in the same squad (i.e. have matching squad names) will share information about enemies, and will take turns attacking and covering each other.”
- “A permanent squad member cannot leave the player\’s squad unless killed or explicity removed by entity I/O. Only use this if you\’re sure you want to override the default AI.”
- “Allow this citizen to participate in combat”
- “If you want your citizens to squad with the player but not obey commands the player gives to move the squad, put a concept here and this citizen will speak the concept instead of obeying the order.”
- “Combine Pulse Ceiling Turret”
I’m guessing none of this means anything, but it’s still fun to speculate. What do you think? Do you even care about Half-Life 3 anymore? Let us know in the comments below.
Featured Image: SxyfrG