The Tom Hanks Typewriter Saga

What a fun week! I suspected the Tom Hanks podcast would do well, but it has seriously blown up in a way that shouldn’t have surprised me, given what an amazing fellow Tom is. You guys have been SUPER nice and it makes me proud beyond words of the Phone Radio thing we make, as one delightful listener’s son called it. Not to get all mushy, but yesterday (Oct 8th) was my 9th anniversary of “Hey I’m probably not someone who should be allowed to put alcohol into their bodies so I better knock this shit off,” so the posting of this episode on that day was a wonderful celebration of that decision and all of the good/exciting things that have followed it.

The idea to send Tom a vintage typewriter actually came from one of our genius talent bookers, Ashley (who formerly booked for Conan and who now deserves chocolates and foot massages every day). I decided the best way to go about this was to type out the invitation on said typewriter, leave it in the carriage and send the whole thing in a pretty box. We found a snazzy 1934 Smith Corona portable, in good shape and fully functional:

Place letter in typewriter, roll, close case, send:

And this was the letter I wrote:

Dear Tom,

Please accept this typewriter–o–gram as a formal invitation to be a a guest on my wildly-popular-with-the-kids Nerdist Podcast. It is a super relaxed, fun chat that will probably cover comedy, NASA, and whatever else you want to talk about — a new WEBSERIES, perhaps?? We are nice guys who are easy to get along with and have never murdered anyone. Other guests have included folks like your son Colin, Tina Fey, Conan, Jimmy Fallon, Bryan Cranston, John Lithgow, Willem Dafoe, JJ Abrams, Neil Patrick Harris, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Joel McHale, Jon Hamm, and THE MUPPETS. It would be an absolute dream come true to add you to this list. Please accept this 1934 Smith Corona as a gift for even considering this request. It should only VERY SLIGHTLY affect your decision.

Hugs and high fives,

Chris “Vintage Typewriters” Hardwick

And this was the response:

Dear Chris, Ashley, and all the diabolical genuies at Nerdist Industries.

Just who do you think you are to try to briibe me into an appearance on your
’thing’ with this gift of the most fantastic Cornona Silent typewriter made in 1934?

You are out of your minds if you think… that I… wow, this thing has great action…
and this deep crimson color… Wait! I’m not so shallow as to… and it types nearly
silently…
Oh, OKAY!

I will have my people contact yours and work out some kind of interview process…

Damn you all to hell,
Tom Hanks

PEOPLE REALLY WIN ON MTV!!! Wait–that’s not what I meant to say. But this is still one of the greatest things I’ve gotten to do and I appreciate the shit out of it. Tom Hanks is a glimmering example of what every person who is fortunate enough to live his/her dreams should aspire to be and will definitely sit atop my pantheon of role models in fashionable yet not-too-revealing Zeus robes. /fanboy

Comments

1. Jeffrey says:

Um. Of course the podcast thing might be tricky.

2. jeffrey churchill says:

That was great! Two months ago my computer died and I seriously considered trying to locate a typewriter; it is considerably cheaper and in the end, probably more entertaining. Technology that does not consistently work well is over-rated. I’m pleased Mr. Hanks sees it my way.

3. robin says:

That is so awesome! After seeing Tom’s letter I really can’t wait to listen!

4. Victoria says:

JESUS that is a gorgeous typewriter. Puts mine to shame. So glad you guys were able to make this happen!

5. Matt Grandis says:

@JetpackBlues: True, if I wasn’t dead inside already, I would have died a little. I’ve been looking for a good typewriter to convert into a keyboard for years, but have never found one that I really like. Now the Smith Corona … *sigh*

Btw, October 8th was my birthday. Why didn’t I get a typewriter?! I’m disappointed, internet.

6. Ross says:

What Fascinating Mr Spock said. I’m glad someone as good-hearted as you & the gang got to experience this. Not that it would have helped, but if I’d been there when you announced to the staff that Hanks had agreed(and answered right in the spirit of the invitation), I would have told you to stop worrying & go look at his talk show appearances. He was even so engaging & relaxed for his “Inside the Actors’ Studio” interview, he kept Lipton from being such a pompous windbag(mostly–the guy can’t help it).

7. Fascinating Mr. Spock says:

Glad this blew up for you guys. I hope it leads to much more of the same. Engaging conversation with charming guests never grows old.

8. Kristina says:

This was hilarious. What’s weird is he was going down the list of all these movies he’s been in, and I’m like, oh crap yeah that was him in X, and ooooh yeah he was in Y too! Which maybe sounds like I’m the dumbest person on the planet, but let’s just say it’s because he’s a good actor. Loved this guy since Joe v. Volcano but this cemented it in carbonite.

9. John says:

So many good things seem to be happening for everything “Nredist Industries”. Hooray, congratulations, and godspeed to the boys!

10. J-Rod says:

Best. Publicity. Ever.

huffingtonpost.com
    glamour.com
    today.com
    etc etc

Nice One. Maybe soon you can upgrade to an Aston Martin.

11. Luanne says:

This is so cute.
    NOw, you’ll have to buy Steve Martin a valuable work of art & then he’ll do the show too…..

12. Beyond words.

This is absolutely amazing. Creativity, genius, willing and curiosity-powered guest – and an A-list performance by your good self, to boot.

This is the best story about podcasting I have EVER heard.

You just set my world on fire. Thank you. And again. x1m.

13. Joe says:

Saw this posted on reddit, so I decided to pop over and check out the podcast. What a great episode. I may have to come check this site out more often. Congratulations on the success, and job well done with the typewriter.

Speaking of which, I have always wanted to own my own personal typewriter. Not one of those electric-new fangled ones. I mean the original, authentic, mechanical typewriters with the keys that make a clear sound when you type. The 1934 Smith Corona that you sent to Tom is a great example. Do you have any advice/tips on how to acquire one? Obviously there is ebay and amazon, but are there any other avenues I should be exploring? I just want to make sure I cover all possible ways. Thanks and congrats again! I really loved that episode.

14. Doug says:

Zou guzs are really fantastic. I loved everz minute of this episode, Tom Hanks is a true gentleman and a scholar, not to mention hilarious! I’m going to go rewatch That Thing Zou Do now!

15. Kristina says:

What I am loving the most here is that Tom Hanks’ letterhead includes typewriters in it. Bravo, sir. Bravo.

16. JetpackBlues says:

Somewhere a Steampunker/Datamancer is dying inside because he couldn’t gut that typewriter to make a Victorian-era computer keyboard….

17. Ted says:

Tom Hanks is a delight to listen to — he seems like a genuinely engaging, interesting person.

I was so eager to listen to this that I even managed to overcome my ordinarily formidable loathing for Chris Hardwick and endure his vile presence on the podcast. For me, that’s really saying something.

18. Stephanie says:

First off, congrats on your anniversary! From some close friends, I know how hard it is to make the choice to be sober and how difficult it is to stay sober. Your commitment and hard-work are paying off in big (and super awesome) ways. *hugs*

I hope you’re getting Tom’s reply framed so you can proudly display it at Nerdist Industries HQ. And wallet-sized copies made so you can carry one around with you at all times.

19. Jamie says:

Just wanted to say I came here because of the Letters Of Note thing, and I’m absolutely entranced by this podcast. I intend to listen to others now – thank you so much for this!

20. Misha says:

@Lauren It IS on Letters of Note: http://www.lettersofnote.com/2012/10/damn-you-all-to-hell.html

It’s currently doing the rounds here on Twitter in the UK via a lot of British comedians like @Glinner and @MitchBenn (who should both do the podcast some day!)

21. Danny says:

Oh we’ll played sir, well played indeed.

22. Ben says:

Well done, Chris, on both your anniversary and the T.Hanks podcast. Great listening!

23. Deanna says:

Amazing, amazing, amazing!!!! What a great podcast! If anyone ever doubted that Tom Hanks was a nice, down to earth person, this podcast will prove them wrong. Have you noticed how many guests say what a great interview the podcast is? I am so happy for you Chris, and everyone at Nerdist industries for the wonderful thing Nerdist has become.

24. Kevin says:

More Tom Hanks Awesomeness: Here he is – on fire – on Letterman’s last NBC show nearly 20 years ago. I still have this on VHS somewhere.

25. Rollo says:

The Tom Hanks podcast was perhaps the best episode you guys have done yet. It’s very obvious that everyone involved was having a ridiculously good time and it was a great time listening. Kudos, sirs.

26. Joe Hill says:

Awesome podcast. Loved every minute of it. Remember if you see blasting caps “Don’t Touch Them!”

27. Ras says:

I admit I am not a regular Nerdist listener even though I think Hardwick is whip smart funny. Tom Hanks did not disappoint! Holy Sh*t, I did not think guys like this in Hollywood still existed. You can tell he is a super cool nice guy that is REAL!!!! This totally gives me faith that we are not relegated to a Kardashian existence. Love ya Tom, don’t ever change!!!!

28. Jake says:

I just want to know the numbers on this episode compared to others. I know I’ve listened more than once to this episode.

29. Vince Pecoraro says:

I can’t wait to hear the podcast and want you to know you have brought the medium of podcasting to a whole new level. You are on a trajectory similar to the Beatles in the sixties and you’ve just released your Sgt. Pepper.

Congrats on the anniversary of your soberhood. I remember seeing you in the early oughts on Talk Soup and thinking “this guy is going to be a force to reckon with”.

When I first heard the Nerdist podcast (three years ago?) I was in my first semester of College after spending fifteen years in the printing industry. I had no money and the economy was at its nadir. My Dad had died suddenly three weeks into my first semester and I was a mess. All I owned was a laptop and an ipod. I started downloading podcasts because it was the only free entertainment available to me. I would sit in the commons numbed out and listen to the Nerdist. I’m not exaggerating when I say you, Jonah and Matt probably saved my life. I graduated with a pretty good GPA and I’m making good money again. I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart.

30. JetpackBlues says:

The closing of his letter was very Stewie Griffin-esque. Thing is, could hear his voice as I read his response.

Even if it wasn’t necessary, sometimes a little bribery goes a long way….

31. Elle Mouzer says:

this was a wonderful podcast and goes up on my favs thus far. congrats on the anniversary and thank you for all the wonderful hours of entertainment you provide us!!!!

32. Matt says:

Tom Hanks was awesome!! One of the best episodes to date…

33. Rob P says:

TOM FUCKING HANKS is awesome and YOU ARE AWESOME HARDWICK – without you i would have many hours where i just sat on the car listening to bad radio.

THANKS for the free podcast :)

34. Patrick says:

Willie Mays PSA FTW!!!!

35. bastien says:

“He GETS it!”
    – Jimmy Pardo

36. Zac Klenske says:

This was one of the greatest episodes ever. Jonah and Matt were able to be there and everyone was firing on all cylinders. Even Tom Hanks was firing riffs into the stratosphere. Maybe Tom is just a naturally exciting person, but it was really one of the most high energy and amusing podcasts I’ve ever listened to.

I am so grateful to have all this free entertainment with all these great people in my ear holes. And let all the nerd peoples sing their praises, ad infinitum.

37. Lila says:

This makes me so very happy! :)

38. John48221 says:

Okay okay! Get me Amazing Fantasty 15 and I will be on the show too! Geez. How about a reprint? So Chris did a father and son team? Up top bro!

39. Vincent S says:

omg, Tom Hanks was a Deeeee-light on the Earphone Talkies (my attempt at beating a kids wonderfully adorable nickname for podcast) and this just confirms it. 😀 the world needs more of his kind.

40. Tom Triumph says:

Very clever invite.

Because of his excellent serious work I always forget that Hanks was a comedic actor for the first half of career. Mentally, I remember the Bosom Buddies and Bachelor Party days, but his role in Saving Private Ryan is the emotional memory I have of his acting abilities. Even Gump, while funny, is serious throughout and Hanks handles it all wonderfully.

And I think he’s able BECAUSE of the comedy background. it makes him human.

He’s a great guest on other talk shows, so I can’t wait for this one.

41. Louie says:

OMG! I’ve been looking for/wanting a portable Smith Corona for years. And knowing that Tom Hanks collects vintage typewriters makes him just so much more awesome. Best episode of the year!

42. Jungmark says:

Are you guys bosum buddies now? You made it big.

43. Alex says:

Congrats Chris on 9 years! That’s a big accomplishment and you’ve turned your life into an extra super awesome one. Also, how many people can say they’ve had typewriter correspondence with Tom Hanks? Probably no one else. Nice job!

44. Lauren says:

This should be posted on lettersofnote.com It’s clearly of historical significance.

45. DefconDan says:

Chris first congrats on your anniversary … I’m glad all the hard work that came with your decision and your subsequent work ethic is being rewarded by such amazing success.

Second it was such a great podcast ( please let Mr. Hanks know if you can that I admire that despite all his success and awards he is still an awesome down to earth person. – a characteristic you both share it seems! I mean those letters frickin awesome!) and it was a real delight to hear Mr Hanks and be reminded of his humor is still alive and kicking !!

46. three toes of fury says:

two words after hearing the awesomesauce podcast and then seeing this great followup:

Goosebumps and Giddiness.

Chris: Happy Anniversary you crazy son of a bitch!! There’s no question that your decision and will power over booze has played a part in everything you’ve become and the HUGE amount of happiness your podcast brings to we nerdist fans. Well done dude. Well done indeed!

Peace .n. Hanks for the memories.

3ToF.

47. Joe Bua says:

(Before unheard noises of glee and joy.)

48. Dan says:

“And from that day on, he was known as Chris ‘Vintage Typewriters’ Hardwick.”

If I ever meet you in person, I expect you to sign my copy of your book as such.

49. Devon says:

that was a delightful podcast to sit and listen to. Tom was on par with you guys every step of the way. Congrats on getting him on there.

50. Lisa says:

I was so excited to see Tom Hanks on the podcast, not because yeah he’s Tom Hanks, but because I remember in the beginning he was always one of the guests you always dreamed of being on. I love the Nerdist and so happy to see people finally appreciating it.

Never change,