The Shannara Chronicles has already proved time and time again that it is not a show for the faint of heart. We were even warned in advance by executive producer Miles Millar that MTV would not be holding back in its adaptation of Terry Brooks’ best-selling novel Elfstones of Shannara.
“This isn’t a family-friendly show,” Millar tells Nerdist. “It’s going to go to some really dark places. It’s gnarly and violent, as it should be. We’re dealing with demons and creatures of darkness. We wanted it to feel real and elicit a visceral response when someone dies.”
Well, spoiler alert: That happens a lot in this week’s brutal, action-packed episode, “Pykon.” We can’t reveal who dies, but rest assured that the death in question will have a huge impact on the rest of the quest to save the Ellcrys from the evil Dagda Mor and all his demons … and not in a positive way.
But that’s not all viewers should prepare themselves for in tonight’s episode of The Shannara Chronicles. Here are six other spoilers from the hour:
- Wil and Amberle could not be on icier ground right now when it comes to their relationship. On the one hand, the Ellcrys warned Amberle to “harden her heart” against Wil in the name of her mission to take the Ellcrys seed to the Bloodfire in Safehold. On top of that, she also knows that Wil slept with Eretria back in Arborlon. But just because the princess is angry at her two quest companions, that doesn’t mean she can just turn off her own emotions immediately. The first scene of tonight’s episode is one that fans of Wil and Amberle’s relationship have been waiting for for a long time. But can you trust it?
- On the flip side of that, fans of Eretria and Wil’s relationship (if you can even call it that at this point) still don’t know whether or not Eretria had real feelings for the half-elf, half-human when she slept with him back at the palace. There is a scene near the end of the episode that finally gives a solid answer to that question.
- The Changeling demon that killed King Eventine in the final moments of last week’s episode has only just started to wreak havoc on Arborlon now that it’s taken the form of the King. Having a demon on the throne is not a good thing for anyone in Arborlon … but it’s pretty damn entertaining for us to watch. Its first plan of attack? Turn Eventine’s sons against Allanon.
- Ander released the gnome prisoner Slanter so he could guide him toDagda Mor’s gathering demon army. Ander wants to assess the army’s numbers so the elves can assemble their own army. But will Slanter lead him to where he needs to go, or will he betray him like he did Ander’s older brother 10 years ago? Whatever you predict, the episode will make you change your mind about five different times.
- The quest to save the Ellcrys seed gets super Medieval when the group decides to trust a fellow elf … who has a very proficient background in torture. If you have a queasy stomach, you might want to watch this week’s episode with one eye closed. Or even both eyes closed, and both ears covered. It gets extremely gruesome.
- The Dagda Mor is currently holding Bandon’s soul hostage in his stone henge. And he’s setting his sights on Allanon’s next …
What are you most excited/nervous to see from “Pykon?” Let me know your thoughts in the comments section below or tweet me @SydneyBucksbaum with your speculation on who won’t make it out of the hour alive! Start your #Save[insert character’s name here] hashtags now …
The Shannara Chronicles airs Tuesdays at 10 p.m. on MTV.