Tom Lennon

The Nerdist Podcast: Now A Thing!

Yes, my abject narcissism has convinced me to do a podcast and I’ve recruited Web Soup scribe Jonah Ray & Mac Nerd Matt Mira to join my merry podcasting band. There’s no real structure to it yet so we’re just kind of dicking around, having fun. I hope you like it!

The inaugural podcast welcomes Tom Lennon (The State, Reno 911), Señor Aboleto (aka Tom and his Casio DG10) delivers a theme song, Jonah sounds far away and Matt likes the Dave Matthews Band.

SIDENOTE: I need to get some “P” popping screens for the cardiod mics. I’m aware of this now! Also, Jonah’s mic might be faulty so that’s why he sounds like a distant spectre. It’s the first one, people! Bug fixes and updates next week!

Comments

1. Koowie says:

Looking forward to the podcasts as well. And I like Mo’s comment. Are you guys high? lol

2. aaron martinez says:

HEY GUYS!! I just heard about your podcast and I’m excited to listen to it BUT I keep having errors downloading this first episode. I really want to start from the beginning and work my way up chronologically to the most current episode. CAN YOU GUYS PLEASE HELP A BROTHER OUT? :)

Looking forward to the podcasts!

3. Mo says:

From Tor, Can
    Just discovered the podcast. And one questions….. Are U Guys High??????????

End comment.

4. Geetz Romo says:

OK, i realize that i’m almost exactly a year late in finding this podcast, but better late than never. The Tom Lennon episode had me laughing so hard, I practically drove off the road. I now look forward to laughing out loud and looking like a lunatic while catching up.

Coincidentally, last week, I just found out that they are remaking the movie Arthur and had exactly the same reaction you did (was it the John Hamm episode?). I’m still pissed off.

Keep up the good work gents. Genius in a can.

J

5. Tom Johnson says:

To put it simply, this is exactly like the convos me and my friends have, minus the celebs. This podcast is one of my favorite things ever. The Doctor Who talk was icing on the cake. Oh, and can Alison Brie’s voice be any more fucking adorable? Just saying. Keep up the outstanding work guys! You rule Hardwick!

6. Plant1 says:

What do you mean “no real structure”? It’s pretty well developed:

Theme song
    Banter and intro
    Guest: “Glad to be here! To answer that question…”
    Chris: Hijacks conversation and talks about self
    End theme

7. Sean says:

Nerdist opened the flood gates to the Podcast media type. My favorites are the ones with Andy Richter and the other has Eugene Mirman/God’s pottery. I listen to those 2 the most. The rest are still really funny and so i spread the word, do the same.

8. Robert Jordan says:

Great work on the WWDC Iphone 4 podcast. I had some serious trepidation that it was going to venture onto the fanboy route but everyone there did a great job of stating the facts in a very (at least I felt) non-bias way. Love the podcast keep up the great podcasting.

9. John says:

Greetings from Toronto. One of the best podcasts ever! I laugh till I piss my pants every show. Thanks so much. Looking forward to more and more. Cheers.

10. E.H. says:

Hey, does anyone know where I can acquire a full version of the current Nerdist theme song? Who does this song? Is it for sale? So many questions…

11. Charlie says:

Great podcast! I got to say all those slide whistles reminded me of the clangers. Though that may be a British thing. Although I thought that Dr Who was a British thing.

12. Gene says:

This is an incredible podcast, very well done. I especially enjoy the comedy bits and insight behind how material is written. Loved your opening act on the Adam Savage episode!

13. nate says:

just finished listening to the adam savage podcast…who thought to bring him on? pure genius, one of the best guests you never knew would be, so funny, so entertaining, i always kind of thought he would be from watching MB…you guys are doing an awesome job, thanks for the free entertainment!

14. JP says:

Hey guys… I just recently discovered your podcast and am really enjoying it! One bit of constructive criticism: I’m no sound engineer, but PLEASE find someone to edit the podcasts and level out the sound before posting them up. I was listening to the Jon Hamm episode this morning – and in several spots I had to crank the volume way up to hear his low voice – and then one of you guys would BLAST in with a funny comment and I practically had to yank the ear buds out of my ears. I mean it was downright painful. This happens quite a bit – in this episode and in the others. Other than that… great stuff!!! Keep it up.

15. Dana says:

You need to have Daniel Tosh on the podcast.

16. T.J. says:

holy hell i love this podcast… i just had an entire section of a library shame me with their eyes because i could not stop laughing.

17. Christina says:

I love the podcast!!! Thanks, Christina

18. So I just listened to the first episode. Was giving it a go with very low expectations. In spite of the horrible intro song, I was hooked within ten minutes.

Great show and can’t wait to hear the rest!

– The Chuck

19. Chris, for a great mic under $100.00 that will do everything you need, check out The USB Snowball Mic from Blue! Keep up the great work!! (Amazon has some at good prices, just search “Blue Snowball”) Happy recording! =]

20. Brian Earl says:

High five. Its good to see a former child bowling prodigy finally arrive as the next big thing in podcasts that were made to make me happy. Waiting for the nickleodeon animated series for a superhero tranny with a supersonic slide whistle penis to hit Hulu.

21. Adam says:

Holy crap, that intro song is the greatest thing my ears have ever heard! You seriously need to use it for every show. I’m not joking.

22. Marie says:

Love it. Best waste of my time ever.

23. Chris Overton says:

You couldn’t have gotten a better guest for the premier.

24. AliasNode says:

PLEASE. Where can I download the theme song(s)?!
    (don’t say this interview’s over)

25. Bob Kinnison says:

Chris – If you’re looking for some good mics for voice, look at the Electrovoice RE20, and Studio Projects C1. Both excellent mics that can be had for less than $300.

26. Jacqui says:

I love Doctor Who! Thank you for loving it also!

27. Sarah Clark says:

I love it!! It made me laugh out loud like an idiot on the train this morning =)

28. Leigh says:

I absolutely love it when Chris shows up on the podcasts I like. My head just exploded finding out about the Nerdist podcast. Looking forward to see this develop.

oh yeah, please turn up Jonah Ray’s mic. He sounds like he’s mumbling.

29. Jeremy says:

Really liked the podcast Chris, looking forward to more!

30. The theme song sounded like it was written on a Casio Sk-1 from like 1988, but it was still pretty cool. I have been running my podcast for years now and I know how the technical things can drive you crazy, but don’t let that get you down. I’m sure you have a good setup, because you’re not poor, but I suggest just using Garageband for making the podcast. It’s simple and it’s more than enough program to record speaking and editing clips or segments for the show. Logic Pro is WAY OVERKILL for podcasting in my opinion. Otherwise I can’t wait to listen to the whole thing and then I will leave even more feedback. I can’t wait to hear it actually. I think you should have Kevin Peirera on your show sometime, you two seem to feed off each other quite well and that would be a great show I think.

31. Deltus says:

The professional slide whistle sounded a lot better, btw. Just sayin’.

32. dave says:

regarding mic plosive popping, if you don’t want to splurge on the panty hose, try clipping a pencil vertically directly in front of the mic; it works remarkably well.

33. Chris Reed says:

I’m loving the podcast. I too am hooked on Doctor Who and cant’ wait for the next season. Once you finish catching up on that, you should check out Torchwood. It’s in the same universe, but darker. I mean, how can you not love a show where the villain in the second episode feeds on orgasmic energy. Oh, and great work on the Bob and Doug theme song, now I’m going to have to go listen to “Take Off”. Keep up the great work, your fellow nerds appreciate it.

34. jamesleofoster says:

It’s about time you did a podcast of your own. It is hilarious and look forward to future episodes.

35. pengd0t says:

Not really even that much of a beatles fan, but this is why the mono recordings have people excit (from wikipedia):
    The Mono Box Set was released to reflect the fact that all the Beatles’ catalogue (aside from Let It Be and Abbey Road) was originally intended to be mixed down and released in mono. For example, in the case of Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, all the mono mixes were done together with the Beatles themselves, throughout the recording of the album, whereas the stereo mixes were done only in six days by George Martin, Geoff Emerick and Richard Lush after the album had been finished, with none of the Beatles attending.[3]
    George Harrison commented:
    “At that time […] the console was about this big with four faders on it. And there was one speaker right in the middle […] and that was it. When they invented stereo, I remember thinking ‘Why? What do you want two speakers for?’, because it ruined the sound from our point of view. You know, we had everything coming out of one speaker; now it had to come out of two speakers. It sounded like… very… naked.”

36. Amrehlu says:

Totally outstanding, looking forward to future podcasts, you are a God among men, Tom Lennon and everyone else in this were great, have a fantastic day, as well, sir.

37. dl says:

excellent yorke anecdote chris. many have joined you in being slighted by him, don’t forget when hannah montana and kanye cast a fatwah on the band.

38. Darin Hagre says:

Huzzah! A much bigger, but probably illegal, dose of nerdiness!

39. todd says:

i subscribed and am now downloading the podcast on itunes. can’t wait to listen to it.

40. Ashleigh says:

That was so awesome!! Please keep them coming!!

41. Jack-Henry Behncke says:

That was freaking great keep it up!!

42. tecben says:

I am laughing hysterically!!!

43. Cloama says:

I needed this. Keep it coming.

44. @BeauRyan says:

Gandolfini story rules.

45. Phil says:

Hooray! other dudes uninterested in the Superbowl.

46. mary says:

It’s not a podcast until you bring in the slidewhistle.

47. Charlie says:

yess! now will doug benson make your theme song?

48. @sdjcne says:

Awesome! Love all the Doctor Who talk. Nerd! Tennant rules!