Episode 83: The Indoor Kids
The Gaming Influence with…
The Indoor KidsThe Indoor Kids

The Indoor Kids #83: The Gaming Influence with Jordan Vogt-Roberts

Today, the guest is the Indoor Kids’ dear friend and director extraordinaire Jordan Vogt-Roberts. He is a lifelong gamer and talks about how growing up in gaming has influenced his choices as a director, and how they’re influencing all of our careers. They also talk about Nick Offerman, Skrillex, Jordan’s love of JRPGs, and the new Star Wars movies! Then they welcome Matthew Burnside to discuss gaming news about GTA, Monopoly, and more!

Games discussed:
Street Fighter, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy, Pokémon, Zelda, Metal Gear Solid, Metroid, Ninja Gaiden, Actraiser, Mario, Bangai-O, Ikaruga, R-Type, Paper Mario, Worms, GTA, Passage, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Siren, Dead Space, Alone in the Dark, Eternal Darkness, BioShock

Movies discussed:
Pacific Rim, Star Wars, and Toy’s House <– Jordan’s movie!

TV discussed:
Mash Up <– also Jordan’s

Photo by Robyn Von Swank

Buy Indoor Kids merch!

Follow @matthewburnside on Twitter!

Follow @indoorkids, @kumailn, and @thegynomite on Twitter! And email us at theindoorkidspodcast@gmail.com!

This episode is brought to you by Shari’s Berries! Click here for special deals!

Comments

1. Granerans says:

Love that FC3 scene! My guy definitely got high when burning the fields. The colors got really vivid and the periphery had a softer focus. Maybe its a PC/console thing?

2. OnmyojiOmn says:

Street Fighter 2 was my first fighting game, and the first time I saw it was in an arcade. I think I was around 11 so of course I went straight for Blanka. There was an older kid standing nearby, and when he saw me choose Blanka he gave me a condescending look and shook his head. He really made me feel like shit.

Fuck that kid.

3. Mescalineous says:

The authorities responded quickly, and forcefully, when a neighbor reported exactly what the boys were shouting at each other about.

But according to witnesses, police were disappointed to find that the young men were only playing a game called ‘The Simpsons: Tapped Out’, and that there were no actual donuts on the premises to confiscate.

4. Shefy says:

Hi,

Love your show. Just thought on a joke on this whole police raid on those kids.

“So the police raided the house, and found out, that not only no criminal act was commited, but also no World of warcraft was played. One of the police men suggested, that next time they should PVP the place, and save the men power.”

Love from Israel – Shefy

5. Seamus says:

Haven’t played Farcry 3 yet, but it sounds pretty awesome. (Played 1, skipped 2).

However, as far as in game music that comes out of nowhere, and I’m shocked that this wasn’t talked about right after the Farcry song since you mentioned it, but this music moved me. This is up there in one of my favorite video game moments of all time.

Jose Gonzalez “Far Away” in Red Dead Redemption. So good!

Another great show guys! The second I can get my eyes on Toy’s House, I’m going to make that happen.

6. Newo says:

heres the story of the guy who was fired for his video game that he made http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/01/30/game-developer-draws-ire.html

7. Joshua Bryan Hammack says:

Hey K&E,

Did you ever play Parasite Eve? I loved that game, and had a great mix of RPG and Survivor Horror. The second was great as well, but even more Horror and less RPG.

8. Bo Dixen Pedersen says:

Regarding comic movies that also look good.

Tropic Thunder springs to mind.

9. Andy says:

I’m sure other people will have said this already by now, but you definitely get high during the fielding burning part of Far Cry 3. That’s why he’s saying all kinds of weird things and the screen goes all wobbly.

10. ryansmodernlife says:

GTA VI: Inside the Cubicle equals my mental attitude everyday at my call center

11. Jared says:

I’m completely addicted to both P4 Golden and the soundtrack. Excellent pick for the opening music! BTW, the TV listings option from the main menu has a music player for times when network connections aren’t available and you just wanna rock out to some J-Pop

12. ablestmage says:

I never heard the music in the field-burning mission.. perhaps because I never used the flamethrower? I just stealthed through it for the most part, and threw molotovs into each field section from the cover of a nearby field, and just picked off the scrambling workers with silenced assault rifles..

13. Matt C. says:

Great episode! I feel the same way about GTA as Jordan, although GTA4 did pull me in a lot though. Also, Call of Duty does have pretty generous aim snap, but only in the single player and zombies. Pulling the trigger snaps the aimer to an enemies chest thats relatively close to where your aiming

14. smallerdemon says:

I can not wait to see this film. I am crossing my fingers that it hits some festivals I can attend.

15. Nathaniel Petrov says:

This podcast and the Nerdist both mentioned Nick Offerman today. He truly is magic.

16. Sajjad Zaidi says:

Who would’ve thought that Skrillex and Damian Marley would ever make music together… Not bad. 😀