Episode 69: The Indoor Kids
Grownup Scary with Motion…
The Indoor KidsThe Indoor Kids

The Indoor Kids #69: Grownup Scary with Motion City Soundtrack

This week, Kumail and Emily are joined by Justin Pierre and Tony Thaxton of the band Motion City Soundtrack to talk about things that scare us in life, in video games, in movies, and more! Plus you’ll get an inside look into the life of a touring performer/gamer!

Listen to and get more info on Motion City Soundtrack and play the Motion City Soundtrack video game!

Look for Emily’s show, Love in the Time of Robots, starting Monday night at 10pm EST/7pm PST!

NYC listeners! Come see The Meltdown at The Gramercy Theatre November 8th!

Follow @indoorkids, @kumailn, and @thegynomite on Twitter! And email us at!

Support the show and get a FREE 15 day trial with Gamefly by clicking the banner below!

1. Pamelita says:

Hello my dear,Have a good day … I do not know if you already know , but there was a post on the offiaicl facebook page of Nightwish and it also talks about you . I think that you may interested :Message from the Family BruelandTo all the members of Nightwish , Their families , the people of Finland and fans around the world …..October 25, 2013 is the 10th anniversary of the death of our beloved son and brother Marc Brueland ….We would like to take this opportunity to express our Profound gratitude and love for your media thesis past 10 years ….Nightwish Their hearts opened to us and never looked back …. At ProgPower 2003 , Having never put before us , We Were Welcomed Into Their World with love and compassion …. Brought Marc was on stage and in His wheelchair Given the time Time of the Old Nightwish life as Performed ” Walking in the Air .” It Gave him Such strength That he was ble to get out of That chair and walk on stage to hug his ” brother” and Tuomas express His gratitude to the band .Over thesis past 10 years since His passing We Have Attended so many gigs Where the band graciously Performed “Higher Than Hope” for us to honor and Marc … We would head bang along with the fans and sing the lyrics as we wiped tears from our eyes …. It has-been magical and such an honor to be of hand .Therefore , We would like to take this opportunity to thank Marco , Jukka , Emppu , Troy, Tarja , Anette , Tuomas Floor and our beloved and the fans for All You Have Given us . We look forward to the bright future ahead with excitement and love .The Brueland Family ,Georgene and Erinas well as our belovedMarc and Eric

2. Bonzo Bonham says:

In addition, Neil Innes is the main minstrel singing “Brave Sir Robin ran away…” and the band itself was the house band for “Do Not Adjust Your Set,” the British kids (!) program hosted by 3/5ths of Python (Idle, Jones, Palin) and which had early animations by Terry Gilliam. They are cited as having a huge dadaist/situationist influence on the rather staid, sketch-related Oxbridge inclinations of the young Pythons.

3. Amanda says:

The It miniseries holds up until that last monster. That thing looks awful, and not even in the campy way. But Tim Curry still terrifies me.

4. Daniel says:

Hey guys!
    Just thought I’d mention: If you want scary games, take a look at the game Thief 3 (specifically the Shalebridge Cradle level). It’s an old game, so here’s a video:

Also, the game Metro 2033 is quite good for scares.

Keep up the good work!

5. Joshua Bryan Hammack says:

Dear Emily and Kumail, I love your show and you guys (but I hope in non creepy way). Would you guys considering to the Indoor Kids a couple of times a week? Please oh please…Please! Oh there is a subtle reference to Doctor Who in Borderlands 2.

6. Fan says:

If you really want to be scared by disproportionate body horror, google “the enigma of amigara fault”. It’s a short Japanese horror comic you can read for free online. Happy Halloween!

7. Kelley says:

Another good show! Thanks for that!

Amnesia : The Dark Descent is a VERY good game for scary-stuffs. I know that you guys ( Kumail and Emily ) are more console gamers, but I am looking forward to the day that you expand into more PC games.

Either way, love the show and will listen again next week. :)

8. GuanoLad says:

The Bonzo Dog DooDah Band had Neil Innes as a member, who wrote a lot of the music and songs for Monty Python.

9. I Sipped Your Milkshake says:

D’ Oh!

10. I Sipped Your Milkshake says:

Legend does NOT hold up for the reasons the guest described. However, Tim Curry’s makeup and characterization were great. Willow holds up, as does IT.

Kumail and Emily, you guys might enjoy a korean horror movie called “A Tale Of Two Sisters”.

11. stephen says:

Yeah I like Bobby Boris Pickett & The Cryptkickers – but not The Monster Mash, just the early stuff #hipsterhalloween

12. Pedak says:

Devon is posting from the future…

13. RG says:

Oh, and on topic…

David Lynch terrifies me in the best way. It’s the unqualifiable scary that gets me. Twin Peaks, under the right circumstances, is very scary (especially the movie).

I bet if you guys liked Beyond the Black Rainbow, you’d like Inland Empire… lots of people discount it, because it seems like arty bullshit, but remember that David Lynch has no pretentious meaning behind any of the things he creates. He just does stuff he thinks will evoke an experience, and Inland Empire is an amazing one if you watch it under the right circumstances. I’ve never seen another movie that better captures dream/nightmare/hallucination logic.

If you’ve seen it, I’d really love to hear your take.

14. enrique says:

Just gonna leave this here:

Grownup scary, or adult fear; I really like the concept of actual fear (being unemployed, something happening to your kids or even your dog), rather than supernatural, unexplained fear.

15. RG says:

Grrrr… It’s people like that Devon chump up there that burn me up. Crazy props your way, guys; I could never take spoiled internet bastards in stride the way you do. Heh… the internet makes semi-shut-in life even more socially infuriating than forced extroversion.

So, just offsetting his nonsense to say: thank you so very much for this day-brightening thing you do for us every week for free. I would never look your gift horse in the mouth… I know that thang got quality chompers.

16. Alec says:

When I was five, my family moved to a new house, and my bed ran lengthwise against one wall. I was scared of sleeping on my left side, because I’d hear these scary muffled footsteps and leave my back exposed to the rest of this big new room. Turns out it was just the sound of my pulse!

Also, performers talking about shitty gigs in shitty parts of town in should always have Hello City playing in the background:

17. Stephanie says:

London, Ontario is like the Derry, Maine of Canada. That hatchet had the blood of an innocent on it’s blade, guaranteed.

18. Ivan says:

@devon dafuq are you talking about? I don’t remember these guys being on before… Wait a second… are you undercover Jordan Morris?

19. Joe says:

I suffered from sleep paralysis as a kid. I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy. Your brain is semi-awake but your body is still in sleep mode. You’re unable to move and stuck in a conscious nightmare. Terrifying for a kid that thought monsters were under his bed. Imagine laying in your bed, unable to move, with the sense that something is just outside of your peripheral vision and you can hear it growling.

‘The Gate’. Thanks Emily. Just when I thought I was rid of the nightmares. That scene when “the parents” come home, the father’s face gets ripped off and the puss pours out *shuddering*. Yeah, thanks.

20. Emily says:

Devon, these guys have never been on our podcast. Thanks for your input.

21. Al says:

Do you guys think that you’ll have Justin Roiland on the podcast again? He seemed like a first adopter type, so it would be great to hear his opinions on some of the platform innovations in the past year. EA recently announced that they would increase resources spent on Ipad Small.

22. devon says:

hated these guys the first time they were on, hated them now.

just bring back someone who is a conversationalist like jordan morris.

thank you.

23. FLS_Carnage says:

I want a track list for that Halloween mix.

24. Tommy says:

London Ontario is pretty bad LOLOL trust me I know

25. Luke says:

My favourite part at the 1:13:53 mark Emily says “oh I love when a 7″ comes out”. Poor Kumail.

26. Daniel says:

This isn’t necessarily too scary, but extremely creepy. When you guys were talking about those weird tapes that you never see again, it reminded me of these videos. I had watched these with my dad and I never saw them air again.,CmC=3509002.html

I could only find them on this French site. Makes it creepier if you ask me.