The Indoor Kids #134: Tricks and Relapses with David Wain
Episode 134: The Indoor Kids
Tricks and Relapses with…
The Indoor KidsThe Indoor Kids

The Indoor Kids #134: Tricks and Relapses with David Wain

Today The Indoor Kids welcome David Wain (director, writer, former member of The State) to talk about how he had a real live arcade in his garage at the age of 12 and why he can’t play games that much anymore, plus an Intro Kids with punchy and tired Kumail and Emily. Where else are you going to hear card tricks on a podcast?

GAMES:

Dark Castle, Combat, Defender, Ms Pac Man, Lemonade Stand, Tetris, GTA Vice City, Crazy Taxi, Crazy Taxi 2, Guitar Hero, Rocksmith, GTA IV, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Candy Crush Saga, Pokemon, Tearaway, Assassin’s Creed 4, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate

MOVIES:

Hits, Wet Hot American Summer, Role Models, Wanderlust, They Came Together, The Ten, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Superman/Batman, Watchmen, Dawn of the Dead, Gremlins

TV SHOWS:

The State, Children’s Hospital, The Meltdown, 24

MUSIC:

Morris Day and The Time, Daft Punk

BOOK:

State By State With The State

Buy Indoor Kids merch!

Follow @matthewburnside on Twitter!

Follow @indoorkids@kumailn, and @thegynomite on Twitter! And email us at theindoorkidspodcast@gmail.com!

Comments

1. RG says:

*on… Typing on my phone, blah, whatever.

2. RG says:

And yes, it’s me, that guy. I’m overlooking having my actual complaint from last week boiled down to something more childish than it actually was (a drop in general positivity, not simply criticizing the Hobbit), because there’s just something fundamentally different about you guys’ audience, or your effect on your audience, or whatever version if that statement doesn’t seem offensive to anyone. You’re loose, and in being loose, you become somehow controversial in accident. I really think a lot if that could be diffused if it were possible for your fans to discuss episodes with each other, instead of feeling like directing everything at you. People who defend you guys wouldn’t have to be such dicks about it, and people with complaints could simply voice them and say, “hey, am I the only one who noticed _______?” To each other. A subreddit could be a good thing for you.

3. RG says:

Yyyyyyeah, I’d say this is poster vs. poster dialogue. Difference. I think most people would say what their deal is and then shut it if it weren’t for the guardian knights who post counterarguments and draw it all out. Maybe you need a supplementary Subreddit, and you can choose to only look at one of the two discussion forums (here or there, wherever the more polite stuff happens). Subreddits encourage the development of an actual community where people are accountable for their reputations. I think the lack of accountability is what makes this comment section so full of turmoil, and there you’ve got the up vote/down vote system where nobody has to attack anybody else so viciously when they feel you’ve been trespassed against in some way.

4. rhzunam says:

@A

Except I wasn’t trolling the hosts, I asked if they could stop it and a total douchebag like Defender of the faith went on about how it was so terrible to even question the idea of hiccuping into a podcast was so horrid and censoring. The hosts hadn’t even mentioned the topic at all and while Emily was class in his article, most of the discussion was to a poster who was totally displaying the total opposite of what he was supposedly complaining about our society going down the drain because of the mere question of an action of a podcast.

Kumail and Emily had nothing to do with it because, to the my knowledge, it was the only time he had hiccuped into a microphone
    . So most of the debate was with the guy. If you can point out where I was trolling the host, be my guest.

5. Ichabod Mansfield Asbury Trevor Wilhelm Achilles Tanenbaum says:

@K&E
    Bravo! Hot damn, you guys are classy to a fault.

6. Kumail Nanjiani says:

Emily wrote this. You all should read it. It’ll clarify a lot.

7. Ichabod Mansfield Asbury Trevor Wilhelm Achilles Tanenbaum says:

Fuckin-A, A! You said it.

@rhzunam LOL Your smug, ugly, self-satisfied posts are having the same effect on me that Kumail’s hiccups had on you. By your own argument, it’s time to shut the fuck up. LOL

8. A says:

Rhzunam, are you over the age of 18? If so, please don’t breed. The world has too many entitled idiots with victim complexes. Podcasts should be a fun addition to your life. If you are so bothered by hiccups that you feel the need to troll the hosts, then you are using the podcast to replace something it is not meant to replace.

9. Shane says:

Y’all motherfuckers take podcasts way too seriously.

10. rhzunam says:

LOL. Yes because that is the point, the existence of hiccups. Not the fact that they talk into a microphone having them. Just like the people that complained about chewing food into the microphone in the other podcasts were all about not chewing food ever and taking their nourishment intravenously. If a person is bothered by me talking to them with hiccups, I would be a supreme asshole if I kept at it because of of some sense of they changing me. That’s the courteous thing for normal people unlike you.

Also nice thing of comparing all the rest of us in the world as one huge monolith (the non americans).

11. DeafenerOfTheFace says:

I don’t care what you are, gov’na… I’m not prejudiced. Cheerio!

12. DefenderOfTheFaith says:

@rhzunam Not once did I mention the word “censorship”.
    My issue was not with people “asking” or “suggesting” that things be removed from the podcast, but you demanding it.
    If you’re standing in line at the bank and someone has the hiccups do you ask them to leave the bank or do you just deal with it like any polite person would do?

@DeafenerOfTheFace
    It’s my experience that people outside the US are not as eager to complain about things like another human being having hiccups, which I can’t believe you don’t find to be a ridiculous complaint.
    I’m guessing by your “cheerio, gov’na” line you think I’m British.
    Wrong again dipshit.

13. DeafenerOfTheFace says:

Yeah, yunno, it’s funny you mention that… Come to think of it, two other people who are Americans come to mind.

(Yes, Kumail is an American citizen. Your prejudice just got… schmejudiced… for the whole world to see. Cheerio, gov’na!)

14. rhzunam says:

Remember people, outside of the US people don’t comment on anything of anybody because it’s censoring. Let them be. LOL

15. DefenderOfTheFaith says:

I”m gonna guess you two are Americans

16. DeafenerOfTheFace says:

Don’t fuckin’ tell them what kind of decision to make about Sodastreams! I find it deplorable, disgusting, arrogant, and deplorable that you’re disgusting enough to think that it’s OK to give your opinion about international manufacturing issues; this is THEIR podcast! How they get their soda is not up to you! End of story.

17. rhzunam says:

Remember people if somebody steps on you while walking, don’t say anything because that is telling somebody how they should walk. Don’t censor their walking man!

LOL at some people.

18. Marrrrrrr says:

Don’t get a Sodastream! They’re manufactured in an illegal Israeli settlement in the West Bank. Not only is that really bad for the peace process, since carving Palestine up into Bantustans makes the two-state solution impossible, the workers who make them are underpaid and exploited.

I’m really disappointed in Scarlet Johansen over this whole thing, to be honest. She’s a great actor and everything, but she stopped being Oxfam International’s spokesperson in order to take that commercial (they made the same objections I’m making) for what I can only assume is a big pile of money.

The Sodastream honestly isn’t even that useful. It’s a novelty. My parents got one a couple of years ago and they barely use it anymore. Yes, it’s better for the environment than buying soda, but just drink water! It’s better for you anyway.

19. DefenderOfTheFaith says:

@rhzunam
    Don’t tell someone how to run their podcast, film, book, song, etc.
    Simple as that.

20. rhzunam says:

Fuck you @defendersofthefaith. Fuck you for trying to make this an act of censoring when it all about asking for courtesy and for your selfish bullshit about how this is all about people asking for special consideration instead of common courtesy. This isn’t about content at all unless you count hiccuping into the microphone, content. This is about something that adds nothing to the show but bothers people and you’re trying to make it out as this special thing that the podcast somehow depends on. If somebody started a good podcast and suddenly started burping or farting, nobody would question at all if somebody asked for the common courtesy to stop. People didn’t complain in other podcast about the chewing of food. Yet only a total asswipe like you would have a problem and get some sort of mission to stop something that the podcast isn’t based on, just because you’re too dumb to differentiate between content and somebody having a physical act that bothers some people and can be avoided.

And either way your argument makes no sense. If a great podcast like the Indoor Kids suddenly had the people in the cast start throwing racial epithets to describe a certain group, would listeners not be right in demanding it too stop or protesting something that offends them? Or should they bow down to the “do whatever you want, it’s free” thing and stop listening. That’s the same argument that rigid people always use to stop change. And to all the people who say this is some big leap and it’s ridiculous, it might be but it’s not anymore ridiculous that some guy asking how hiccuping into a microphone violates the freedom of speech or the fabric of the podcast.

21. Aaron says:

Thanks for another great podcast, you two. David was great. I especially loved his appearances on Childrens Hospital as “Rabbi Jewy McJewJew” and the times where he played himself in those weird meta episodes.

I often talk about The State with friends who are old enough to remember the show, as I was in high school when I first saw it and loved it. Although for the most part I kept up with the crew in Viva Variety, Reno 911, all the Lennon/Garant partnerships, I had completely forgotten until this podcast that David was a cast member of The State. I’m going to have to go back and rewatch all those hysterical sketches again. Hope they hold up!

22. Joe Friday says:

Not sure I’m a fan of the grandstanding on either side, but I agree with @DefenderOfTheFaith in principle. We wouldn’t nitpick so heavily at a musician about the choices he or she made in mixing a song; we wouldn’t give an epithet ridden speech to an artist about the shade of blue he or she used to represent the sky in their painting. And yet when it comes to conversational podcasting I think these guys make it look so easy that we think it actually IS easy. There’s a lot that goes into this that we don’t even consider as listeners. Browse iTunes and listen to what’s out there. It’s a WHOLEBUNCHA people who listen to podcasts like this thinking they can do it just as well and failing miserably. So even if we’re going to nitpick a little bit at the ones who do it well, do we have to be such dicks about it? We’re like those football fans who sit around calling coaches idiots as if we could do their jobs even half as well were we in their positions. Maybe…just maybe….before we allow our ids to type out a comment on a message board we could take a minute to consider what makes us think we’re such experts on life that we think we know so much better than other people. We’re not objective and omniscient just because we’re anonymous. Even if anonymity affords us the ability to drive-by comment and allows us the luxury of not having to choose on which hill to die, doesn’t mean that we should necessarily take advantage of those luxuries as they also come with their own sets of ugly caveats. Even if we have what we feel is a valid complaint, we’re more than capable of making our points politely.

Ultimately, if the hosts of a podcast are going to stop doing something because of a complaint somebody makes it should be because THEY decide that if they were in the position of the listener they would feel similarly. Regardless of how @rhzunam or @DefenderOfTheFaith or anyone else feels about the situation, if the host thinks a complaint is ridiculous then they should disregard it and if they think it’s valid then they should act accordingly, and the rest of us should respect whatever decision they make even if we’re unhappy with it. If it were our show I think that’s what we would want.

23. DefenderOfTheFaith says:

I find it deplorable and disgusting of the absolute arrogance to tell someone “yeah that thing you created and give to us for free? don’t do things like “insert whatever” anymore”,
    It’s like if I wrote a book about dogs and someone has a negative reaction to dogs writes me saying “I don’t like dogs, I have a bad experience with them, don’t write books about dogs anymore”.

Fuck you rhzunam, and fuck your policy on bowing to the whims of a few weirdos when the rest of us adults can simply stop listening to something that offends or upsets us rather than telling the creators to stop doing it because we don’t like it.

Personally, I don’t like it when they have Film Critic Hulk on the show, I find him irritating. Do I say “Hey Kumail and Emily! Don’t have FCH on anymore because he annoys me!” ? No. I try to listen to the episode cos I love this podcast so much but when it gets too much for me I stop listening.
    Actually that’s exactly why I stopped listening to The Nerdist Podcast, because one of the members’ personality started to bug me.

24. rhzunam says:

It’s incredible how some people are horrible and actually think they are the ones who really are in right.

People should just imagine how much of a total assholes would it had been if after the Nerdist episodes or the Dining with Doug and Karen where they chewed food on the microphones, Chris Harwick and Doug Benson would have told the people that complain about it being disgusting “Tough shit, if we stop, it’s censoring”. But instead they were normal human beings, that had the courtesy to think that even if it’s not all, if it bothers certain people they should stop doing so since it’s add nothing to the podcast and is something that is bothering some people. I wasn’t particularly aware of it being bad but I totally got it because I’m not an asshole.

Yet a douchebag like @defenderofthefaith is telling Kumail and Emily to do exactly that and screw people who have a bad physical reaction to something that adds nothing to the podcast at all just to screw people and not “censor”. Because apparently now courtesy is censoring to somebody like him. And he has the ignorance to act as if other people are the ones bringing society down. I’m sure Kumail and Emily are normal nice person who would take into account the problems some have with it and not follow the advice of somebody so fuckin selfish just like Chris and Doug did.

PS Sorry about the double posts before but it seems something was wrong with the site earlier today.

25. DefenderOfTheFaith says:

@rhzunam
    First part of my post was directed at GooseGanja, who if you have read the comments for last weeks show would know is becoming a bit of a troll on here.

And yeah I think they should leave things like the hiccups in regardless of a few people feeling “nauseous”. Does it add to the show? Not really, but then again, it was funny.
    If you start removing things to appease a small minority of people, then where does it end?
    It’s their podcast, I support whatever they do with it. They don’t get paid for it so I assume they do it because they enjoy it.
    When they have to start censoring themselves I imagine that it will begin to feel like a chore and they’ll stop doing it.
    If 100 people listen and 5 people don’t like hiccups it makes more sense to me for those 5 people to fast forward or not listen at all than for the Indoor Kids to waste time rerecording or editing something that 95% were fine with.
    If you don’t like listening to something, don’t listen! Simple as that!
    Hmmm, think I’ll take my own advice and not read these comments anymore as a few of you are total fuckheads.

26. GooseGanja says:

rhzunam = a fukn hero

27. Michael says:

As a Grinnell grad and Indoor Kids fan, I would have been overjoyed to hear Kumail talk more about the loggias.

28. Ryan says:

Sheesh I was just sharing what I thought was really interesting info, that I had to spend some time reading up on because the “every seven years” thing sparked my curiosity. It wasn’t a “nah nah you’re wrong” statement.

I love the show, the off the cuff comments and even the hiccups adds to the fun, immediate vibe imo. I would really hate it if they stopped to fact check every statement or let a literal or figurative hiccup stop the show.

29. phillip medoc says:

What is it about video games that brings out the worst in comment sections? “kumail nanjiani hiccups” is now my #2 Google search after “emily gordon feet”. Please keep up the good work, kids.

Thanks for another fantastic episode. David Wain is a mensch; I’m excited for another Wet Hot American movie or anything that brings The State back together. Maybe the Indoor Kids can get a cameo in? Any reason they can’t fit an arcade scene into an 80s comedy?

30. rhzunam says:

@defenderofthefaith

LOL at your last comment. What is disturbing is people who would rather people do something that disgusts certain audience just so that the host of the show don’t get criticized. So some people get nauseous at hiccuping straight to a microphone but that should be left even if it adds NOTHING to the podcast instead of just stopping and having some courtesy to the people who can stomach it.

And I don’t know who you’re responding to in the first part of the post but you went off like a complete d-bag about something that nobody was responding to in a similar way. And yet you had the gall to say that it was others and not you who makes people lose the faith in humanity. How rich.

31. rhzunam says:

@defenderofthefaith

LOL at your last comment. What is disturbing is people who would rather people do something that disgusts certain audience just so that the host of the show don’t get criticized. So some people get nauseos at hiccuping straight to a microphone but that should be left even if it adds NOTHING to the podcast instead of just stopping and having some courtesy to the people who can stomach it. As if the Nerdist or Dining with Doug and Karen would have been complete a hole like you and had continued chewing into the microphones instead of the courteous people they were.

32. rhzunam says:

@defenderofthefaith

LOL at your last comment. What is disturbing is people who would rather people do something that disgusts certain audience just so that the host of the show don’t get criticized. So some people get nauseos at hiccuping straight to a microphone but that should be left even if it adds NOTHING to the podcast instead of just stopping and having some courtesy to the people who can stomach it. As if the Nerdist or Dining with Doug and Karen would have been complete aholes like you and had continued chewing into the microphones instead of the courteous people they were.

And I don’t know who you’re responding to in the first part of the post but you went off like a complete douchebag about something that nobody was responding to in a similar way. And yet you had the gall to say that it was others and not you who makes people lose the faith in humanity. How rich.

33. DefenderOfTheFaith says:

The Indoor Kids are regular people, not all-knowing, omnipotent beings, and like us, sometimes they get things wrong.
    They said something that may not be scientifically accurate.
    BIG.
    FUCKING.
    DEAL.
    You obviously have no life and take things far too seriously.
    It may be a good idea for you to seek counseling of some kind as it is obvious you have severe issues.

It’s also disturbing to see how many people having a problem with listening to someone with hiccups. How do you function in the real world? If a loved one has hiccups do you go ape-shit at them too? Or do you act like an adult and deal with it?

Geez, reading comments online is a sure-fire way to lose faith in humanity.

34. GooseGanja says:

More bullshit passed off as fact this week … cool.

35. Ryan says:

The “every 7 years” is a myth… some cells like blood cells or sperm cells are replaced on a very short timeline, days to weeks, while others like your gametes (eggs for the ladies) or neurons (How else could you remember events from your childhood?) last your whole life.

36. Liam says:

I used to play on my stepdad’s Mac as a kid, I’d totally forgotten about Dark Castle! That give me such a memory rush. I never completed that bloody game

37. Liam says:

Haha I didn’t even realise people being disgusted by hiccups was a thing.

PS I don’t think that all-your-cells-are-replaced-every-seven-years fact is true. Because if it was wouldn’t people be able to heal spinal damage and stuff? We’d all be like Wolverine. Just a much slower Wolverine.

PPS Sodastream was really popular in Britain in the 80s. These days it’s seen as a nostalgic thing that hacky comedians make jokes about. “Hey guys do you remember when we all had sodastreams and spacehoppers and that Mousetrap game?” It’s funny that it’s recently become a popular product in the US, I was genuinely confused when I first heard people mentioning it a while back on other podcasts. I didn’t know if I was missing out on some cultural in-joke

38. Al says:

No surprise that an Indoor Kids comment thread introduces hiccup shaming to the world.

39. Jesse says:

Are people seriously complaining over some fucking hiccups? Get a life.
    Great ep as usual! I used to be depressingly good at Guitar Hero.

40. rhzunam says:

I have to say that Kumail hiccupping in the podcast was disgusting. It was too much and I really think that shouldn’t happen again since it’s worse than people chewing on microphones. It really wouldn’t matter to just stop for a while.

I love the podcast but sometimes I feel they talk too much about physical ailments especially Kumail. I can understand the going to the bathroom mid podcast but sometimes stuff like Kumail taking aderrall and having his teeth clatter or other occasions like that are kind of TMI. If it added something to the podcast besides having people reminded of those feelings, but I don’t think it does. Still that is ok if people dig it. But please no more hiccupping into the podcast or plowing thru on the podcast. That was just too disgusting.

41. Nich Hustler says:

Was that your washing machine going off in the intro? My neighbours have a washing machine with that same tune that plays when it is done.

42. badabingo says:

I love you guys and empathize with you on the plight of hiccups….but please, please, PLEASE don’t record an intro when you are plagued by hiccups. I had to fast forward the show because I actually got nauseous over the hiccuping. Not that I think YOU are nauseous, but hearing people hiccup makes me really queasy. I’m sensitive. I’m sorry.

In other news, I had to DVR Community for a while and finally got to catch all the way up. When I saw Kumail guest star, I went like this, “OMGit’sKumaillllll!” Now Emily needs to guest star on it as well and then my life will be complete.

43. Nick says:

In response to the playing as a dragon discussion, Divinity 2 lets you do just that. It’s like a regular action RPG with randomized loot, but then you have the option to turn into a fucking dragon whenever you want…

44. smallerdemon says:

I was also very much into Doug Henning and Harry Blackstone Jr. My dad took me to see both of them on tour back in the day and it was so wondrous to me as a kid. I learned a lot of slight of hand as a kid and it was just so much fun, even when I wasn’t good at it.

45. smallerdemon says:

I actually saw The Ten at the opening night of the Sidewalk Moving Picture festival a while back. It was the opening movie for the festival, and wonderfully rebellious for a festival in Birmingham, Alabama. It was hilarious, silly fun and it’s a shame it isn’t better known.

46. davidelliott says:

here is a link for the HICCUPS cure that works %90 of the time:

drinking water from the FAR side of the rim

WHILE bent over.

MAKE SURE the water ALMOST comes of your nose (BUT not quiet.)

hope it works for you.

thanks.

47. dude says:

I think the documentary they were trying to think of is called Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade”

48. melf melfman says:

I think the documentary they were trying to think of is called “Chasing Ghosts: Beyond the Arcade”.

49. Tyler says:

Hey! I have that washing machine/dryer! Dat Jingle!

50. Dean says:

His story about his arm reminds me of the time I spent ages playing Pokemon Sapphire, my thumbs went stiff for a little while after, and to this day they still click sometimes.