Episode 110: The Indoor Kids
Gone Home to Portland with…
The Indoor KidsThe Indoor Kids

The Indoor Kids #110: Gone Home to Portland with The Fullbright Company

This week, Kumail and Emily are in Portland and manage to sit down and chat with three of the four creators of Gone Home, the indie game that is the new hotness. They chat with Steve Gaynor, Karla Z, and Johnnemann about X-Files, storytelling in games, growing up in the ’90s, their awesome cookies, and much more. Plus Kumail and Emily chat about GTA V news, Dragon’s Crown, Papers, Please, and more!

No Walk on the Burnside this week, but we’ll catch a few moments with him soon, we promise!

Spoiler warning: At 29:50 in the discussion about Gone Home, we drop in a spoiler warning that will tell you to fast forward 15 minutes in order to avoid hearing spoilers about the game. You have been warned.

Buy Indoor Kids merch!

Follow @matthewburnside on Twitter!

Follow @indoorkids, @kumailn, and @thegynomite on Twitter! And email us at [email protected]!

1. L1z4rdB0y says:

I just finished this game.

it’s pure shit. I think all you late 20s early 30s cunts are pretentious entitled fuck holes and are the ruin of good entertainment. Damon Lindelof is a prime example of it all.

I will now post spoilers about this shitty fucking game on my FB page. I think I hate you all. Drink bleach, I hear that’s cool to do!

2. Sang says:

and @ 0:44:44
    man… these guys sound like fcukin lame hipsters. lol

3. Ben says:

You can explore your sexuality and kill dragons in Dragon Age: Origins.

Which is why its the best.

4. Pedak says:

I love that The X-Files keeps coming up. Twenty-Year Anniversary this September 10th.

Ghost in the Machine was the name of that episode that was mentioned.

5. martenas says:

Ah dragonscrown….
    One cant blame Emily for her apprehensions about the mid evil beatemup…what with all the evocative imagery. I would like to commend her for giving it a chance.

And as for that gigantic mountain of a woman ,the female barbarian, i actually really dig her. Atleast shes not the garden variety toothpick with 2 watermelon chest. She has this extremely flat chest, and her thighs are like chunli on crack. Im assuming some sort of parody when creating the character here.

People used to give me shit about drawing female heroens with ridiculous thunder-thighs too. Maybe because chunli came along around puberty,LOL. Anyway, i think my wife is the type to get the big boob sorceress.Just for laughs, she just silly like that ;p

Have fun gaming together guys !

6. phil medoc says:

Also, mad respect for Fullbright for pulling out of PAX this year. The Penny Arcade guys have been getting a pass on some shitty stuff for way too long.

7. phil medoc says:

What are the Indoor Kids doing in Portland? Is there a comedy show happening that I’m missing out on? Kumail is probably just doing Portlandia, eh?

If you’re still in town, go get some great Lebanese food over at Nichola’s, 318 SE Grand Ave. You will not be disappointed.

8. matt says:

really wish I could go back and edit, so just pretend the second paragraph read like this:

I’m a bit younger than the characters in the game, but I still grew up at the tail end of the era of X-files and VHS tapes, punk zines and passing notes in class. The details are so perfect. There’s a Buck O’ Nine reference! There’s a Lisa Frank notebook. It’s really a brilliant piece of art.

9. matt says:

Haven’t listened yet, but I already bought and beat this game. Crazy good. Probably should be $10 or $15, but I dont feel bad for overpaying a little to help out the kind of people who would make this game.

I’m a bit younger than the characters in the game, but I still grew up at least partly, at the tail end of X-files, and punk zines, and passing notes in class. The details are so perfect. It’s really a brilliant piece of art.

10. onReload says:

@Kyle S. That makes me so sad, but I feel you. Still, maybe you could look into an internet cafe (or whatever they’re calling those rent-a-computer things) or something next time. Please don’t be sad.

I hate you Indoor Kids. I didn’t want to buy this game as I already have a huge backlog, but I’m sure I’ll be forced to after listening. Seriously though, great job grabbing these indie guys again and again

11. Kyle S. says:

Game sounds awesome. Listened to the spoilers since my computer is old and sad and so I’ll never play it.

12. Derrick says:

Gone Home theories are in full effect.

13. Beanjamin says: