Episode 104: The Indoor Kids
Dungeon Mastery with…
The Indoor KidsThe Indoor Kids

The Indoor Kids #104: Dungeon Mastery with Spencer Crittenden

Today, Kumail and Emily welcome Spencer Crittenden, the resident Dungeon Master of Harmontown, to talk about how he started world-building, how that applies to his love of video games and life, and also how he’s a time traveler in Animal Crossing. Plus we discuss playing old Game Boy games, make Spencer describe monsters you’ve created, talk about what we’re playing now, and more more more!

Follow @thesixler on Twitter and listen to Harmontown!

GAMES:

Dungeons and Dragons, Pokemon, Digimon, Skylanders, Bubble Bobble, MegaMan, MegaMan Battle Network, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Mass Effect, RP Forums, Zelda: Oracle of Seasons, Final Fantasy Tactics, Guacamele, State of Decay, The Last of Us

MOVIES:

Zero Charisma, Superman, Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters, Back to the Future

TV:

Community

BOOKS:

Redwall, Lord of the Rings, Difficult Men, We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves, Heads in Beds, Top of the Rock

Buy Indoor Kids merch!

Follow @matthewburnside on Twitter!

Follow @indoorkids, @kumailn, and @thegynomite on Twitter! And email us at theindoorkidspodcast@gmail.com!

Comments

1. PMG says:

Why did I have to hear about Kumail’s penis? Why did I not stop listening to the podcast at that point?

2. Post Master General says:

“His beard is turning red”.

3. Post Master General says:

Squirrel Nut Zippers are amazing.

4. atomArizona says:

Thanks RJ! exactly the info I was reading the comments to find

5. rj says:

The movie list is missing Primer and Upstream Color by Shane Carruth, in case anyone else was looking for them

6. commonperson says:

Spencer is the King of DMs. I DM/GM myself and I have to say you have the patience of a saint in dealing with everyone’s tangents (it would drive me around the bend) and you are funny as hell. Thanks Emily and Kumail for bringing him on! I have to say I never understood your obsession with tying your dagger to a rope Kumail but hey, you never loose your dagger! (Why don’t you try stabbing instead of throwing?)

7. nomesbones says:

Spencer is hilarious and lovely. Sidenote, I grew up in an area overpopulated with lizards (S.Fla) and like Kumail, I treat them like cockroaches and I feel nothing for them except a slight acknowledgment of the fragility of life when my dog mangles or kills one. Anyway, yay show!

8. The Luwak is basically like a giant mongoose. I’ve had it, and it pretty much tastes like coffee. Just like normal, reasonably-priced not-poop coffee. So, you can save your dollars.

Play video games instead!

9. Sringer says:

Although I had never heard of this guy before, I now am the biggest fan. This Spencer guy is my clone.

10. Checkers says:

I’m furious they didn’t credit Anamanaguchi for that intro track, most under-appreciated band ever!

11. Mescalineous says:

Holy shit. Well played Charlie. Very well played.

12. B.R.H says:

Might want to check out either Ironclaw or Mouseguard if you like fantasy animals and you want to try a game featuring them. Both are fairly easy to learn and stable systems.

13. Charlie says:

Is that… Jonah’s aunt?

14. WM says:

I listened to the entire podcast and still don’t know who this guy is.

15. Spencer says:

@Mark I also don’t like the Harry Potter series books and movies I found them very dull, I haven’t tried any other fantasy things besides these overall but I have Game of Thrones in my netflix queue I’m curious if it’s as good as it’s hyped to be. Also I tried reading the Silmarillion, I butchered the spelling when I was 10 and hated it first book I quit mid way through.

16. Alec says:

Nthing the “Yay Spencer’ and “R.I.P. Ryan” comments.

Also, related to movie scenes with no dialog:

17. me_DUH says:

♥ SPEEEENCER ♥

18. mark says:

Epic fantasy quest about friendship, growing into responsibility, and the power of unity over the negative forces of life. Throw in badass battles. Plethora of lore and allusions to mythology. the movies are as faithful as a movie will be to a series of books which endeared themselves to nerds who so badly wanted a world to escape to where even the smallest most Insignificant person can be the hero.

I would say give the films another shot. Maybe they just are not your thing. Also I meant nerd in the most awesome way :-).

19. Spencer says:

First I’m Not the that Spencer I’m a different Spencer. I’ve only seen the first LOTR and fell asleep a quarter into it, and I tried the second but got really bored. This is kind of a dickish thing but I don’t intend it. Can anyone explain the appeal of LOTR?

20. mark says:

Wtf?!?!? Had no idea about Ryan Davis. Saw aarons post and google search made me sad. I have to imagine there is a big crossover in audiences. He will be missed.

21. Marshall Sandoval says:

Does anyone have the link for the Harmontown forum post that Kumail mentioned? (Where Spencer shows things that the D&D group never got to?)

22. Vincent S says:

omg, it’s Spencer! Cool. Would be good to know what his demeanor is outside of Harmontown.

23. Elliott says:

I luv Emily’s story about dropping off her stuffed animals to their appointments. Though to be fair, they are really bad spies if they need to be dropped off.

24. Aaron says:

I don’t know if all IK listeners are also Giant Bombcast listeners, or if Kumail and Emily are (though I think I remember hearing you guys mention Giant Bomb before?), but perhaps if you guys are you can say a few words about the tragic news concerning Ryan Davis that just surfaced today on your next podcast. I love IK, but I’ve been a GB fan for years before you both even started your podcast, and I’ve been beside myself all day.

Anyway, this was a great podcast. As a young teen I played nearly every campaign for D&D that existed, and even played the Marvel Superheroes pen-and-paper RPG as well as the West Coast Games Star Wars RPG Spencer mentioned. I really enjoyed hearing his DMing method. I was a player in most campaigns, but DMed the Ravenloft campaign and ‘railroading’ was a bad habit of mine, lol. I hated seeing my created stuff wasted!

Bring Spencer back again soon!

25. Wildride says:

Shame: Hey, look! It’s Sally Sparrow and she spends an entire minute naked and casually chatting with her brother — Neat. ;)

26. Russell Duckett says:

Kumail if you loved those old school beat em ups please tell me you have tryed Project X Zone on the 3DS. It’s story sucks but the fights are amazing! It’s got old school Capcom, Sega, Bandai fighters get it man!!

27. Kyle S. says:

I haven’t seen a lot of things I’m “supposed” to have seen. When I read Elmore Leonard I have to do a shit-ton of googling.

28. Wildride says:

Obvious sequel: Lex Luthor wages a mass media campaign deriding Superman’s role in the wanton destruction during Man of Steel as a cover for some nefarious plot.

29. Cameron C. says:

Just thoughts I had while listening: I haven’t researched it, but world building when you’re a kid seems like a developmental touchstone. I mean, when I was a kid playing with toys. At some point setting up the reason why my toys were fighting (or working with) each other just became a thing. The geopolitical climate had to be just right for my G.I. Joes to attack my Lego knights. The lynchpin being my Transformers who’d serendipitously withdrawn their support of the Lego’s, for the way they handled a situation involving my X-men figures. Anyways, my point is: world building seems like an exercise in dealing with reality, since in one form or another it’s a part of being alive.

Digimon names-

Kumailimon Digivolve too…SUPERMANISTOOHANDSOMAMON!

Emilyismon Digivolve too…BUXTINIMON!

Burnsidemon Digivolve too…LASTOFUSTUSMON!

Spencerimon Digivolve too…SIXLEREMON!

30. Taylor M. says:

Hooray for Spencer! Super excited to listen to this.