PlayStation’s first foray into original programming, Powers, took the San Diego Comic-Con stage on Friday to discuss what happened during season one and reflect on the radacity of its freshman run. Including discussion of what to expect during season two, the cast and creators — including Brian Michael Bendis, Michael Avon Oeming, showrunner Remi Aubuchon, writer Ben Edlund, Susan Heyward (Deena Pilgrim), Olesya Rulin (Calista), and Aaron Farb (Simons) — also reflected on those they lost. (R.I.P. Retro Girl.) Here are the panel highlights and it should go without saying but this post contains spoilers for Season 1.
General Show Comments
- Both Michelle Forbes and Eddie Izzard were great parts of the show and will be greatly missed.
- Bendis commented that he finds it funny when fans of the show come up to him and say they can’t believe he killed Retro Girl. His response is that HE can’t believe THEY can’t believe it — seeing that it is the title of the first book in the comic series.
- Bendis and Oeming both said the feeling of having the show on the air is awesome, and after all the delays the production went through, they were glad to put something out there they can be proud to show the fans
- Bendis also noted that Powers is an R-Rated comic book, so PlayStation is a great place to translate its themes into a television show, as it gives them the freedom to do what they want.
Looking Ahead to Season 2
- The season will be more about the murder of Retro Girl. After all, she was the world’s most well known superhero. With her gone, the Powers division will also have to deal with the fallout of all that.
- Yes/of course: there will be people attempting to fill those shoes. Who are they? You’ll have to wait and see.
- Callista always said that if she had powers, things would change for her. Now that she has powers, she’ll have a lot to ponder in order to make those “changes.”
- Zora, who was left in “not so great” condition at the end of season 1, will play a big part in season 2. She was living the “star-life” and now she has to deal with reality coming crashing down around her.
- They teased that the spirit of Wolf may somehow have an influence on her character in season 2.
- A bonus for everyone: book readers may not have the advantage on the mystery of who killed Retro Girl. According to the panel, everyone will be surprised by the TV show answer.
- There will also be flashbacks explaining just who is/was Retro Girl.
- Deena’s role for season 2 will to try and keep Walker focused as he tries to solve Retro Girl’s murder. She feels the only way he can do this is by being able to put his own yearning for his own powers behind him.
- Biggest reveal for season 2 was that Super Shock will be among the new characters for season 2. He is the most powerful hero in the Powers universe, and re-emerges after the murder of Retro Girl. (In the comics, his arrival was a game changer, and yes, that will translate into the TV show.)
- Yes, that’s right folks: we’re also getting a hard copy release, which will include a behind-the-scenes documentary, 2o deleted scenes, and a gag reel.
- It will be released on July 14th, 2015.
- The gag reel is 90% Susan, according to Bendis.
You can check out pics from the panel in the gallery below, which include an original drawing by Oeming to introduce Super Shock to the show.
Powers season 1 is currently on PlayStation Network. Season 2 will premiere sometime next year.
So what do you think? Are you excited to see more of Powers? Let me know on Twitter or in the comments below.
Image Credit: Polygon