That’s Right, Your New Batman is…Ben Affleck?!

That’s Right, Your New Batman is…Ben Affleck?!

Who would have guessed that all these years Matt Murdock was secretly a cover for Bruce Wayne? That’s right, folks, Warner Bros. announced today that none other than one-time Daredevil actor and Oscar-winning director Ben Affleck will be donning the iconic cowl of Batman alongside Henry Cavill’s Superman in Zack Synder’s untitled Batman/Superman film, his follow-up to Man of Steel which drops on July 17th 2015.

Ben-Affleck1

Can’t you just picture it now? Here’s the full press release for your reading pleasure:

BURBANK, CA, August 22, 2013 – Ending weeks of speculation, Ben Affleck has been set to star as Batman, a.k.a. Bruce Wayne. Affleck and filmmaker Zack Snyder will create an entirely new incarnation of the character in Snyder’s as-yet-untitled project—bringing Batman and Superman together for the first time on the big screen and continuing the director’s vision of their universe, which he established in “Man of Steel.” The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.
The studio has slated the film to open worldwide on July 17, 2015.

Last month’s surprise announcement of the new movie featuring both Superman and Batman created a wave of excitement and immediately fueled discussion and debate—among fans as well as in the media—about who would put on the cape and cowl of Bruce Wayne’s alter ego.

Snyder successfully re-imagined the origin of Clark Kent/Superman in the worldwide blockbuster “Man of Steel,” which has earned more than $650 million worldwide to date, and climbing. The director will now create an original vision of Batman and his world for the film that brings the two DC Comics icons together.
Affleck will star opposite Henry Cavill, who will reprise the role of Superman/Clark Kent. The film will also reunite “Man of Steel” stars Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane.

In the announcement, Silverman stated, “We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character.”

Snyder also expressed his excitement about the casting of Affleck, noting, “Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can’t wait to work with him.”

Kroll added, “We are so thrilled that Ben is continuing Warner Bros.’ remarkable legacy with the character of Batman. He is a tremendously gifted actor who will make this role his own in this already much-anticipated pairing of these two beloved heroes.”

Affleck recently starred in the Academy Award®-winning Best Picture “Argo,” which he also directed and produced, earning acclaim and a BAFTA Award nomination for his performance in the film, as well as a number of directing honors. In 2010, he starred in and directed the hit crime thriller “The Town.” His recent acting work also includes “The Company Men,” “State of Play,” and “Hollywoodland,” for which he received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor. Earlier in his career, Affleck starred in and co-wrote (with Matt Damon) “Good Will Hunting,” for which he won an Oscar® for Best Original Screenplay.

The new Super Hero film is being scripted by David S. Goyer from a story he co-created with Zack Snyder. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan and Wesley Coller serving as executive producers.

Production is expected to begin in 2014.

The film is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, and Batman characters created by Bob Kane, published by DC Entertainment.

A while ago, we told you what we thought Man of Steel 2 should be and we’re pretty sure it didn’t include the guy from Paycheck. But we’ve been wrong before and hopefully we’ll be pleasantly surprised again. In the meantime, have at it in the comments section or let me know what you think on Twitter.

Comments

1. alanso says:

He’s got a big jaw and black hair, so he should do okay. Let’s be cereal, Batman doesn’t need to be a great actor.

2. John says:

I like Ben in some of his movies such as reindeer games etc. but giving batman a butt chin is funny lol

3. SayntMykl says:

No. Just… no. I have no ill will toward Affleck as a human being, I just think he is entirely wrong for this role. He will be the JarJar in the next MoS film. The choice of Affleck as Batman is the evil antithesis to the choice of Peter Capaldi as Doctor Who. Just wrong on so many levels. They really had a good thing going with MoS, and now they’re screwing the pooch. Just… no.

4. sarahjay55 says:

So conflicted…! I didn’t enjoy the Dark Knight movies much, and disliked Man of Steel enormously.

But I am a huge fan of Affleck – so now I guess I will have to suck it up and see the new movie, hoping it will be a big improvement on MoS…

5. Menen says:

Hollywood Land was good. Not bad. Not great. Above average. Nothing memorable. Just at the time it came out he was such a joke and people took in consideration that. They were surprise it wasn’t horrible.

6. Menen says:

wow Tj! Really? He is not a bank robber or a CIA agent? Those that means he is not an Angel neither? Let me dumb it down for you. Every performance by Ben Affleck is exactly the same. Just different names, looks and dialogue. But exactly the same character. Which is the Ben Afleck persona. He is definitely not Christian Bale who morphs with each character he plays. Ben Affleck is just what he is. At this point in his acting career he wont turn into Laurence Olivier. He is just who he is.

@Diarra

7. Drarry says:

Ok where’s the hidden camera? I know I’m on candid camera right now as there is no way anyone would ever hire Ben Affleck to play Batman.

8. Dave says:

This SUCKS! If Ben Affleck is the new Batman, then Matt Damon must be the new Robin and Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser) must be the new Cat Woman! I think I could vomit!

9. chris says:

@ Rene: I obviously didn’t mean that Affleck acted in Gone Baby Gone. The point was to illustrate that, with that movie, he really started taking his career more seriously and doing better films (in both acting and directing), rather than taking silly roles to boost his celebrity profile. I think he’s a better than average actor and could handle what the role of Batman would call for. He’s given plenty of fine recent acting performances: The Town, Company Men, Argo.

And Clooney was hardly the problem with Batman & Robin. I (as well as just about anyone else) would lay that blame almost entirely on Joel Schumacher’s shoulders. In fact, he’s probably the only good thing in that movie. Story sucked. Script sucked. Casting sucked. Just about everything else about that movie sucked…but I STILL think Clooney would make a great (older–Dark Knight Returns) Batman, with the right creative force behind it.

10. Hmm “The hate is strong with this one, it is”. Question for those that hate the choice and say Affleck can’t act. have they been watching him from “HOLLYWOOD LAND” onward? No? Thought so.

11. My Guy says:

I just can’t begin to get my head around how this happened? What does Ben Afleck have on these guys that got them to green light his casting as Batman? It must be really good, because nobody who knows who Ben Afleck is would have ever made a decision this bad.

Any intention I had of seeing this movie just died.

12. tj says:

you think he played Ben Afleck in Argo and The Town? so he’s a bank robbing, CIA agent in real life? After The Town I was kind of convinced, it was set in Boston and it didn’t require a lot of him, but Argo is what convinced me. And IMO, two of the hostages were the weakest acting in Argo. I’m still far more concerned with the crappy Man of Steel team making Batman and Superman than I am with Ben. Good writing and good directing can make an average actor great in a role. happens a lot. but the best actor in the world can’t fix a movie with bad writing and bad directing. you might be right on with your Warner Bros studio decision point.

13. Menen says:

He proved that he can act, Tj? Sure, he does a mean Ben Affleck. He do Ben Affleck as no one else can do Ben Affleck. But other than that he has little to offer. His acting was the weakest part of both The Town and Argo.

14. Menen says:

This is clearly a Warner Brother studio decision. The same studio that distributed “The Town” and “Argo” none the less. But anyway, Affleck lacks the acting chops to pull it off. And that’s a fact. Every single one of his performances is all the proof needed.

15. TJ says:

Spoilers if you haven’t seen Man of Steel. My biggest concern is fixing the problems that Man of Steel created. That movie made Superman Returns and Green Lantern look better. They threw away the importance of the death of Jonathon Kent. The FIRST thing he tells Lois is he’s special, then he heals her. Then there’s the killing of thousands while he fights Zod…then he kills Zod. Zack Snyder and David Goyer disregarded several key elements that make him Superman. This Batman and Superman movie has quite a few larger issues than Affleck being cast as Batman. He’s proven with his most recent films that he can act. Can he pull of Batman? who knows, we’ll all have to wait and see. I would much rather see him direct it and Nolan write it.

16. Rene says:

@chris, Which role did he played in “Gone Baby Gone”? Right, he just directed it. He did act in “The Town” and “Argo”. Both average performances. No one is bitter. The problem is that we are not blind and we have seen him act. Which of his performances can gives someone hope that he can pull it off? And yes, Clooney was horrible. That performance was nothing more than Dr. Douglas Ross with a Batman mask.

17. Dr.Acula says:

I have no idea what to think of this…

18. chris says:

Jeez, as soon as I heard this, I was waiting for the collective nerd rage-splosion. While I wouldn’t have pictured Affleck as Batman, I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.

He’s a good actor that was in a lot of shitty movies, but it became clear that, starting with Gone Baby Gone, he seemed to hit a point where he started taking his career seriously. Instead of trying so hard to be a movie star, he turned toward making good, creative decisions as both an actor and what turned out to be a very talented director. You know he learned a lot doing this.

And as for the hate on Clooney–this is insane. Sure, he was in a terrible Batman movie, but long ago, he stopped trying to be a movie star too and has made a ton of great movies since and is a fantastic actor…to the point where I would watch anything that he does.

I know it will never happen, but you jaded, bitter nerds need to settle the fuck down and judge a movie for it’s contents, not your preconceived notions of any particular element…before the damn thing’s even been made!

19. asdf says:

I stopped reading due to my entire field of vision turning red after the line about Zac Snyder and Ben Affleck bringing a new dimension to the character of Batman. ARE YOU FUCKING SHITTING ME?

20. Rene says:

@Craig, The difference is that both Ledger and Keaton have shown their acting chops many times before getting those roles. It was more of a miscast problem. In Affleck’s case is more of a can’t act for shit problem.

21. Christopher says:

Look WB. Just give us the Justice League movie and no one gets hurt.

22. Craig says:

One thing I sure as hell can’t wait to see is the new suit, gadgets and Batmobile. As long as the suit is nipple free and there’s no gratuitous ass shot during him suiting up and the Batmobile is free from neon underlights and insane fins then it’s just a case of nailing the story and character seeing as we shouldn’t need to concern ourselves over Supes considering how awesome Man Of Steel was.

23. Craig says:

Everyone kicked up a stink at Heath Ledger for Joker (I was one of ‘em). No one wanted Keaton to play Batman because of his comedic background and he was amazing just like Ledger was.

@Sarah when did Affleck play as Robin?

24. R says:

Actually, I’ve more doubts on the scenario of the movie in general than in Ben Affleck (can’t be worst than Clooney).

25. El Kid says:

@John, It’s not a nerd thing. It’s a common sense thing. I would be equality disappointing if he was cast do do Shakespeare. And judging by his body of work, something that it’s real. There is no reason for optimism, something that it’s not real.

26. TheTVGod says:

Love Ben…have no problem with this. Hasn’t he proven himself at this point? Plus, he’ll probably give it to Superman in an uncomfortable place.

27. Joe says:

Ben Affleck is cool and I’m sure he’ll do a good job. Did people really like Christian Bale that much? He was great in the fighter but I wasn’t a fan of that trilogy, except for Heath Ledger’s performance,

28. Jon says:

@John O, the doubts about Keaton were because of his comedic background while the doubts about Affleck are because he is an average one dimensional actor. Something Michael Keaton wasn’t. Very different scenarios.

29. John says:

Why is it that “optimism” is so absent in the “nerd community”? It doesn’t matter who they would have chosen to play the Dark Knight no one on here would have approved. I say reserve judgement until at least we see a full trailer. Then let the opines fly!

30. Jon says:

Anyone that says Ben Affleck is a good actor clearly knows nothing about acting. The guy has been playing himself all his career which is a bad formula for a role like Batman. Check Kilmer and Clooney. Even in Argo. That one was just a bearded Ben Affleck rescuing some hostages. Great director though.

31. A. Gordon says:

I know I’m late to the party probably because I was so shocked and disappointed. I like Ben Affleck but I LOVE Batman more. Just because he has two Oscars (writing and directing not acting) doesn’t mean he can pull off iconic roles especially Batman.

32. Jesse says:

So does this mean we’re getting Matt Damon as Robin?

33. Sarah says:

I wish it had been Colin O’Donoghue. I can see the logic in having Ben A. play the role, though. He was Robin in a previous movie, so it kind of makes sense. Still the same, there’s my selfish druthers. I’m still looking forward to seeing the movie.

34. John O. says:

In my opinion, the best movie Batman was Michael Keaton by a country mile. If anybody thought he was a great choice for the role before that is fooling themselves. Ben Affleck is an amazing actor and has proven he can portray somebody with a cold-hearted edge to him (Argo). Of all the complaints I have seen over the choice, I have not seen a real reason why anybody would/should dislike him in the role.

35. Dave says:

everyone’s wrong as hell, he’s a great choice, it’s the movie that will suck

36. chops says:

“His outstanding career (except perhaps Gigli, Reindeer Games, Phantoms, Pearl Harbour, He’s Just Not that Into You, Paycheck, Daredevil, Smokin Aces, Armageddon, the Sum of all Fears, Forces of Nature and Surviving Christmas) is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character…”

37. Stu says:

Forget Daredevil, what about Pearl Harbor? Worst Movie Ever. And who cares about Argo, Affleck is simply the wrong choice for this, but then this is a studio that made Green Lantern so their ability to right royally mess up is well established. A space raccoon with a machine gun is going to have more credibility. Nuff Said.

38. cusemil says:

dude! seriously?! are you sure you didn’t find the article on the onion?!
    definitely skipping this one!

39. sickboy says:

Batman vs superman in itself was a fucking stupid idea. Now throw in ben affleck who isn’t the greatest actor in the world.

I know legendary are desperate for some of that avengers money but its ridiculous. Let the trilogy stand alone.

40. Talha Mahmood says:

Please Christian Bale dont go!!!! Batman = Christian Bale just like Iron Man = Robert Downey Jr

41. Sammi says:

yup, I won’t be spending a dime to watch a girly batman sorryz.
    Worst choice ever.

42. poop says:

Worst. Decision. Ever. Well at least I know now that I don’t have to watch the movie.

43. UltimateGrilledCheese says:

You’re judging him for movies he made over a decade ago. It’s a bit like declaring Bill Gates a royal fuck-up for dropping out of Harvard right around the time he made a billion dollars. Affleck has made great movies like “Argo” and “The Town” after all that. We haven’t even seen him in the role yet, so let’s withhold judgment until we see it.

Oh, almost forgot, he did make one good movie before “Daredevil”, but I’m sure nobody even remembers a single line from it. By the way, do you like apples?

44. Ben says:

My eye keeps twitching.

45. Lente Kepente says:

*turning into the hulk*

46. donovan says:

Somehow i hope Warner Brothers is just testing peoples reaction. After this shitstorm, they should reconsider their options. Either Christian Bale or Jon Hamm

47. PresidentBarackObama says:

They probably were smoking crack when they decided to go with Ben Assface.

48. Nerdicon says:

Ya know, since gigli he’s actually made some pretty damn fine movies. While this is certainly unexpected, he’s a decent actor.
    Plus, he’s been a guy who’s been Superman so at least he has sort of connections to DC.

Though I have a rule, you get 1 marvel and 1 DC. If you screw both up, you get no more comic movies.

49. Bob Loblaw says:

Imagine my “cartoon” jaw-drop when I heard this announcement.
    Very, very poor choice.
    Big fan of the franchise, but I will likely skip this one.
    Too bad for the fans…