That’s Right, Your New Batman is…Ben Affleck?!

That’s Right, Your New Batman is…Ben Affleck?!

Who would have guessed that all these years Matt Murdock was secretly a cover for Bruce Wayne? That’s right, folks, Warner Bros. announced today that none other than one-time Daredevil actor and Oscar-winning director Ben Affleck will be donning the iconic cowl of Batman alongside Henry Cavill’s Superman in Zack Synder’s untitled Batman/Superman film, his follow-up to Man of Steel which drops on July 17th 2015.

Ben-Affleck1

Can’t you just picture it now? Here’s the full press release for your reading pleasure:

BURBANK, CA, August 22, 2013 – Ending weeks of speculation, Ben Affleck has been set to star as Batman, a.k.a. Bruce Wayne. Affleck and filmmaker Zack Snyder will create an entirely new incarnation of the character in Snyder’s as-yet-untitled project—bringing Batman and Superman together for the first time on the big screen and continuing the director’s vision of their universe, which he established in “Man of Steel.” The announcement was made today by Greg Silverman, President, Creative Development and Worldwide Production, and Sue Kroll, President, Worldwide Marketing and International Distribution, Warner Bros. Pictures.
The studio has slated the film to open worldwide on July 17, 2015.

Last month’s surprise announcement of the new movie featuring both Superman and Batman created a wave of excitement and immediately fueled discussion and debate—among fans as well as in the media—about who would put on the cape and cowl of Bruce Wayne’s alter ego.

Snyder successfully re-imagined the origin of Clark Kent/Superman in the worldwide blockbuster “Man of Steel,” which has earned more than $650 million worldwide to date, and climbing. The director will now create an original vision of Batman and his world for the film that brings the two DC Comics icons together.
Affleck will star opposite Henry Cavill, who will reprise the role of Superman/Clark Kent. The film will also reunite “Man of Steel” stars Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane.

In the announcement, Silverman stated, “We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character.”

Snyder also expressed his excitement about the casting of Affleck, noting, “Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can’t wait to work with him.”

Kroll added, “We are so thrilled that Ben is continuing Warner Bros.’ remarkable legacy with the character of Batman. He is a tremendously gifted actor who will make this role his own in this already much-anticipated pairing of these two beloved heroes.”

Affleck recently starred in the Academy Award®-winning Best Picture “Argo,” which he also directed and produced, earning acclaim and a BAFTA Award nomination for his performance in the film, as well as a number of directing honors. In 2010, he starred in and directed the hit crime thriller “The Town.” His recent acting work also includes “The Company Men,” “State of Play,” and “Hollywoodland,” for which he received a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor. Earlier in his career, Affleck starred in and co-wrote (with Matt Damon) “Good Will Hunting,” for which he won an Oscar® for Best Original Screenplay.

The new Super Hero film is being scripted by David S. Goyer from a story he co-created with Zack Snyder. Charles Roven and Deborah Snyder are producing, with Benjamin Melniker, Michael E. Uslan and Wesley Coller serving as executive producers.

Production is expected to begin in 2014.

The film is based on Superman characters created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster, and Batman characters created by Bob Kane, published by DC Entertainment.

A while ago, we told you what we thought Man of Steel 2 should be and we’re pretty sure it didn’t include the guy from Paycheck. But we’ve been wrong before and hopefully we’ll be pleasantly surprised again. In the meantime, have at it in the comments section or let me know what you think on Twitter.

Comments

1. boB says:

I love the smell of nerd rage in the morning…

2. knarkill182 says:

Yeah this is a good idea…… two movie for you; Gilgi or the worst movie ever made and Dare Devil (that speaks for its self)

3. Scott Jones says:

Guys with no talent win two Oscars all the time.

4. Wait a second…. Isn’t Jennifer Garner starring with Tom Welling in “Draft Day”? What is going on here?

5. They should have Tom Welling play Robin.

6. Kristoffer says:

this is why DC cant have nice things.

7. Say what?! Ben Affleck as Batman?! Seriously?!

I am sorry, but I think that they should have went with Joseph Gordon-Levitt as Batman. And yes, I know they could not because Batman has to be Bruce Wayne. But choosing Affleck for the part is just moronic.

8. liljo says:

I can see affleck pull off bruce wayne but not batman. He cant do dark and serious. Most of all he really doesnt exude intelligence. I cant buy him as someone who can outwit a villain. These are definitely dark times for batman. I wish these studio executives will listen to the outcry of the fans…maybe its not too late and we can start a petition?

9. C.Nate says:

I’m a huge fan of Ben as a director. I’m also a rabid Batman fan. I’m conflicted on this because I’m not a huge fan of him as an actor. His performances sometimes feel forced. He’s truly an amazing talent as a director though. Anytime he has a movie coming, I look forward to it.

10. CJ says:

EPIC FAIL! Bennifer sucked as Daredevil and he will suck as Bruce Wayne / Batman (they would’ve been better off getting an unknown = @ least this would’ve saved $ on the film’s budget) ….

I understand Christian Bale was done playing Bruce Wayne / Batman – he’s did it for 8 years in 3 films (ppppft there goes setting things up for Justice League) ….

11. CJ says:

I understand Christian Bale was done playing Bruce Wayne / Batman – he’s did it for 8 years in 3 films – but Bennifer? (ppppft there goes setting things up for Justice League) ….

12. Shawn says:

I don’t think he can do it.

13. Heafy says:

Poobah! Beetlejuice WAS Batman!

14. Aj says:

*still laughing uncontrollably*

15. Brady Blankemeyer says:

I think he’ll do a fine job, he would not have accepted the movie if he didn’t think he could do it. He knows his comic book lore, so there’s that.

He played Daredevil very well, it was the movie itself that failed. Though the directors edition, was a much better version that should have been shown (extended some vital parts, and cut out parts there were not necessary).

16. Mark S. says:

I’m usually the one preaching not to pre-judge, but I feel safe pre-judging this. Affleck is a terrible terrible choice.

17. Rastunas says:

Ruined! No Heath Ledger / Joker comparisons… There will be no pleasant surprise, you don’t reward someone who couldn’t pull off Daredevil with an ICONIC DC role. Stupid Stupid Stupid. The DC Universe mourns.

18. Alex says:

Batman has to be a mature man who inspire respect and fear… in the same time the best thing for the franchise is an “unknown” actor that can build a new Batman imagen after Bale.
    For me, Richard Armitage would have given a much better quality to Batman.

19. Cherry Darlin says:

Because he did such an incredible job as Daredevil right? FML Fuck Warner Bros. This is bullshit.

20. derp says:

It doesn’t matter who plays batman. It’s still directed by Zack snyder, so it’s going to be shitty no matter what.

21. Beardface108 says:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

22. Beardface108 says:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!!!!!!!!!!

23. Taylor M. says:

I’ll remain cautiously optimistic. He’s a very good actor and he has the face for it. Would’ve preferred to have a less well known name, but I’ll take this. Hopefully it works out.

24. Jesse Grund says:

Started a facebook page against it. Starting online petition. Can get it to people that matter. please join me

25. momma says:

crap – that should read *withOUT ups and downs.

26. Ira says:

Just because he is a “COMIC BOOK FAN” that shouldn’t give him the right to play the part…

That line always seems to hit a nerve.. Just because you like something DOES NOT MEAN your good at it…

27. momma says:

I think we should take a collective deep breath and accept that the franchise peaked with TDK and stay on the ride. Roller coasters are not fun with ups AND downs.

28. Considering the fact that there was a thread online, after he had been cast, about how that gay cowboy Heath Ledger was the worst possible choice for the Joker EVER, I think I’m gonna reserve my critisisms until I actually see the movie.

29. Matt Hendrick says:

I’ve a new found respect for his acting ability since “Argo” and “The Town.” He has Kevin Smith as friend. He’s an admitted comic book fan. He looks the part. I’m willing to see if he can pull it off. Everybody gave the Heath Ledger as The Joker a load of crap until they saw what he did with it. This could be great!

30. jacknut says:

And we all thought Bale’s Batman voice sounded silly. Now Batman’s gonna sound like a fucking castrato.

31. Ben Affleck says:

DAMN…..THINK I’M GOING TO RELAPSE AFTER GETTING THIS HORRIBLE NEWS!!!!

32. Dylan says:

He’s probably going to fuck the movie somewhere uncomfortable like the back of the batmobile.

33. Heather says:

If we rally, if we shout it from the internet “rooftops”, then maybe we can change this? If Microsoft can pull a 360 on the One, the maybe there is hope?

Join me friends! *rabble*rabble*rabble*

34. klee says:

FROM A FRIEND:

“No, no DC. There’s a reason Reynolds and Affleck haven’t reprised their Marvel roles. This is not like finding a steal at Goodwill. This is the lice infested fur coat someone gave away for a reason.”

“Look! Jennifer Garner is here too! Can we-!”

“LEAVE HER. WASH YOUR HANDS”

35. Sound Without Focus says:

An American playing a superhero? Poppycock.

36. Chuck A says:

I just hope he plays him with a little O’Bannion in him….that’s our only hope

37. Master bater says:

This has ruined my day! Don’t get me wrong like Ben Affleck, but this just isn’t right. He can’t play Batman. It should be Christian Bale again to be quite honest with you. Oh well, hopefully he plays it well and doesn’t screw it up. Here’s hoping.

38. Joe G says:

Phantoms! IS THE BOMB YO!!! hehehe

39. Bunsx says:

What will his super power be? Putting people to sleep? Most boring man on the planet! zzzzzzzzzzzzz

40. Sherry says:

ditto LordTom

41. Sheldon J says:

Hollywood sure loves to piss off the nerds…

42. Scott says:

Hey!

Batman’s fun and all, but why does there have to be an uninterrupted flow of Batman movies for all eternity?

Remember when someone made a great movie and that was it? Maybe we need an African Queen franchise…or a Citizen Kane franchise. Ya know?

43. Ira says:

Great.. I guess they didn’t learn from the George Clooney time, what will be on this suit a well defined codpiece along with the nipples on the bat suit?

So much for my old World’s Finest comics increasing in price from this move.. :(

44. LordTom says:

Hmmm I’m unsure about this. Half of me thinks Ben Affleck is a more mature and well rounded actor that could probably carry a multi levelled character like Batman/Bruce Wayne. The other half thinks Batman has just been fucked somewhere really uncomfortable.
    And BubbaHotep… Thanks for the inspiration.

45. joe says:

Should’ve picked Brandon Routh, would’ve been awesome

46. CakePeg says:

Phantoms!

47. Peter says:

I was going to comment, but instead I’m just going to high-five BubbaHotep.

48. Poobah says:

What’s next? Beetlejuice as Batman?!?

49. BubbaHotep says:

Awesome, the next Batman is that asshole from Fashionable Male

50. gamerguy says:

ben “the no talented” afleck as Batman?… i think i just threw up in my mouth