Sonic Screwdriver

Yeah, I’m pretty much nerding out over Doctor Who. I’m two eps into Season 3 and I’m angry that it took me this long to discover my new favorite show but thrilled that I get to have the experience. I mean, a show that, in one episode, goes back to meet Shakespeare, references the time travel laws of Back to the Future and then casts “Expelliarmus” at an alien witch??!!! Come the f*ck on! GET OUT OF MY HEAD, THE DOCTOR!

1. gntlemanartist says:

Welcome to the greatest show on TV! If you’re only up to Season 3 of the new show then you have a lot of awesomeness to look forward to.

I’ve been a lifelong watcher of the program. The original show also has 26 seasons to be mined for classic TV goodness if you should find yourself with a whole lot of time and money for 1/2 a billion DVDs.

2. Deltus says:

I was late coming to the Doctor Who party as well, and yeah, that’s some of the most fun I’ve had watching a show in a while.

3. anonymouse says:

wow. there are over 756 episodes as of january 1. @____@

4. Giggleloop says:

One of us, one of us!!! :)

I have the Sonic Screwdriver too. I got a remote control K-9 for Christmas a couple years ago, but sadly he didn’t work very well & I had to return him. :(

Any time you want someone to nerd out about the Doctor to, feel free! I’ll chat your… ear off? Or something. :)

5. steve silvas says:

please tell me you’re going to do Torchwood, as well.

6. chris favero says:

Glad you finally found Dr. Who! been a fan of the Doctor since the 80’s. the reboot that bbc has done is just outstanding though. Tennant is my favorite of the two so far. third one is on the way already.
    Check out the episode “Blink” or anything with Capt Jack in it from Torchwood (also another fantastic show)

7. Welcome to the club. I just got a friend hooked on the Doctor a couple weeks ago. She’s ripped through Season 3 and is working on Season 4 now.

8. Kaye Winter says:

I freakin’ LOVE this show!! I’m current on episodes, but I haven’t made up my mind about the newest Doctor. David Tennant is a *really* hard act to follow.

9. Ben says:

I love me some Doctor Who, and if not to cheap I’d definately have all the seasons…at least with David Tennant who I was more then sad to see leave recently

10. megan says:

Gah! I just started watching Dr Who as well. Thanks be to Netflix and the PS3. I’ve been just plowing through the seasons all day long and am kicking myself for waiting for so long. WHO KNEW!?

11. AndreaClaire says:

Welcome to the fabulous world of the Time Lord(s). I’ve loved Doctor Who since watching reruns on YTV while baby-sitting way back in the day. After buying/watching the Specials, I decided to go back and rewatch the entire New Seriers… that’s a good way to waste lovely weather, right? I agree with Human Nature/Family of Blood and Blink; I also loved Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (watch out for shadows) in series four. So many awesome episodes yet to come for you!

12. Stephen says:

Welcome to our world (I feel that’s safe to say following all the comments). I would also likw to add, Disc 4 of Season 3 is the “Best Disc ever”. Not only do you have the much mentioned (and much beloved) “Blink”, it also starts off with the 2-part “Human Nature”/”Family of Blood” story where David T really get to show his range and goes far and beyond being simply “The Doctor”.

13. lngilbert says:

Um … we’ve got a sonic screwdriver, too …

14. Vanessa says:

I felt the same way about “Tooth & Claw!” Werewoofs, origin stories, Queen Victoria, Scottish castles, ninja monks, whiskey tango foxtrot?? I’m only about halfway through the second season, but I’m the biggest nerdy nerdpants about it.

15. summer says:

season 4 is my favorite! i’m pumped that you’re getting into this now. allons-y!!!

16. Keri says:

Best part of the Shakespeare Episode is that Willy hits on The Doctor and The Doctor replies, “57 academics just punched the air.” Funniest thing I have heard in a while and I love that it came from RTD’s mind. Blink is brilliant but I also liked the Family of Blood Episodes which show a sadder side of the The Doctor and I think even touches on his need for companionship in any form. Just wait until you get to the first Episode of the 4th season it is the funniest and Catherine Tate is hilarious.

17. sinicalypse says:

jolly good! seeing as the doctor’s knob has been dutifully polished by your legions of acolytes, i shall wait with baited breath for the day that you discover the musical brilliance of aphex twin . i reckon it’ll be a day or two before you start unnecessarily pronouncing some words with a queen’s english inflection =D

18. Thad says:

I wish what was seen could be unseen, so I could have the joy of watching it new, all over again.

19. John says:

Sorry, that last sentence should read “…compared to the slick NEW series…” The classic IS the original. Durrr…

20. John says:

Same as Nester above, a high school friend introduced me to (old) Doctor Who in 1990. I geeked out when I found out the new version was coming out. Still a favorite show of mine today! Once you’re through, I also urge you to pleasepleasepleeeeease check out both the spin-offs (Torchwood cuz it rocks, Sarah Jane Adventures for curiosity’s sake) and the classic series. The classic is quite cheesy compared to the slick original but it’s still great fun.

21. M_pony says:

a) ‘Blink’ really is one of the best single episodes of that show. I know we’re playing it up but believe us.
    b) You probably would look great in a Doctor10 cosplay outfit. Ya bugger.
    c) Torchwood has swearing and blatant raunchiness and violence in it, and is pretty damn good too.

22. Jack Harkness says:

Since you really like Doctor Who. You should really check out one of its spinoffs. Torchwood. The Doctor doesn’t actually appear in Torchwood but a lot of stories have him somehow tied in.

23. Nester Edwards says:

Heh! Welcome to “Who-Ville”! I got introduced to Dr. Who back in early 1990’s by my local PBS station… broadcasting it (the now “Classic series”) right after Red Dwarf (another BBC show) & stuck with it ever since.

If you really get hooked, try to find the Classic series (they can be found online… although the BBC would likely send the Dialek fleet to hunt them down). Granted the production values are a bit cheesy by today’s standards, but the stories are still good.

24. lascowiec says:

@ kristin that’s the saddest thing I’ve ever heard. DT was def my doctor and I’ll miss him but Matt Smith looks promising(esp with Moffat as head writer now) and if history proves anything, DT will be back in some kind of time paradox or multiverse crisis or whatnot. And if not, then at least he has the Royal Shakespearean Theatre and that NBC pilot to fall back on.

25. Jen says:

Nerd. (BTW i just finished up David Tennants run as the doctor and now i need to wait for the new episodes with matt smith.) XD

26. Kristin says:

I just recently got into Doctor Who, too! I watched the entire season in about 4 days. I’ve loved and lost David Tennant all in under a week… so sad…

27. PG says:

All I’ll say is, “About time! Where the eff have you been?!!”

28. FragChef says:

Thats EXACTLY how i felt about a month ago, when i discovered Docctor Who. Been a Star Wars and Trek fan for a while. I was very shocked that i hadnt found it sooner.

29. Jodi says:

I was just telling my husband tonight about the episode with “expelliarmous” episode tonight. It loses something in the translation. I’m bound and determined to get him to watch this show.

30. Isaiah says:

Yes! Blink is one if the best Dr. Who eps ever. You’ll enjoy. Glad you’re catching up on the Doctor.

31. Brandi says:

I started watching Doctor Who during David Tennant’s first season. I watched them in the correct order, but I got hooked FAST and I got 5 of my friends and one of my friends’ 7-year-old nephew hooked on the show. I have a sweet Tennant as Doctor Who poster in my room.
    I have about 20 classic Who DVDs on standby from Netflix. Best show ever! Glad to see you’re on board! 😀

32. Angel says:

Feeling the same love you are. When I finish the 4 seasons from the reboot I’m going to hit up the older episodes on Netflix. Can’t wait!

33. Elirie says:

It’s kinda weirding me out to know that you’re getting into Doctor Who at pretty much the EXACT time that all of my friends are.

Pretty soon it’ll be all you can talk about, trust me. XD
    (also, SO JEALOUS of your screwdriver!)

34. Sarah Clark says:

ahhhh i just watched all of them on netflix last week when philly got hit with the big snow storm. it just gets better and better! i totally wasn’t expecting to love it that much!

Sally Sparrow: I love old things. They make me feel sad.
    Kathy Nightingale: What’s good about sad?
    Sally Sparrow: It’s happy for deep people.

35. Joe Szilagyi says:

Just wait till you hit the Blink episode, if you think anything that came before was mad.

36. abby says:

This literally just made my day. And that’s one of my favorite episodes of DW, but I’m surprised that you just discovered this outlet of nerdness. Dangit, Chris Hardwick… you have to be coming to Seattle the same night as my favorite band. Grrr.

37. If you watch Blink, watch it with the lights on and within reach to hide behind the sofa. That is a terrifying episode, almost as bad as the ‘Are you my mummy?’ ep.

38. AVHero says:

Chris! I’ve got a Sonic Screwdriver too! I just started watching the show about a month back, and I have caught up (with the new season anyway). I’m eagerly anticipating the next.

39. Dnug says:

I did exactly what you are doing now a few weeks ago. I finished when you started actually and have the exact same feelings. I could not believe this show escaped me for so long. On a free day I actually watched ten episodes straight to finish season 4. When I reached tennants final episode I bawled. And watched the last ten minutes about twice a day for a week because I was going through withdraw. Haha.
    I agree that blink is a very gooood episode. Here’s hoping #11 doesn’t suck!
    P.S. My sonic screwdriver is in the mail because I cannot get enough of this wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff. =D

40. Luneowl says:

Here’s a little something to go with that sonic screwdriver:

41. lascowiec says:

Okay, newb. Here’s the rule: when you are referring to him its “the doctor” but when speaking to or saying something directed at him, like let’s say for example “get out of my head” its simply “doctor.” You don’t need the the. That being said, welcome to the best fucking show of your life. And before you ask, yes, I am drunk.

42. Chris Bonno says:

Matt Weinhold just turned me on to The Who a few weeks ago. Just got through the Eccleston season, Tennant season 1 and 2 and now on Season three. I feel the same way. Can’t stop talking about the Doctor. Try Torchwood too if you get the chance, although I keep hearing that that will just lead you to the better version of Torchwood: some specials they did later called Children of the Earth. Looking forward to those.
    Keep going!

43. JeffShane says:

Yeah, I am in the same boat. My gf has always loved the show and she has just turned me onto it. I kinda like it. And yes, as a V-Day gift, I gave her a Sonic Screwdriver. 😀 epic!

44. dDub says:

And it keeps getting better :p

Wait ’til you see ep 3.10, “Blink” written by new show-runner Steven Moffat who also wrote “Girl in the Fireplace” (2.4). I got my friend hooked on the series by showing him those two episodes.

45. saharial says:

I’m catching up with season 3 on the iplayer but i’ve seen a few later episodes and it just gets better and better!

46. Hobo In The Corner says:

@Ariel 4 for the reboot of the series. 1 with Christopher Eccelston (Sp?) and 3 for David Tennant, who just had his final season end.

47. Aaron says:

Best show ever. David Tennant is the best doctor though.

48. If you don’t show up in Tenth Doctor cosplay one of these days, Mr. Hardwick, I shall be very sad.

Very sad indeed.

49. Hobo In The Corner says:

This makes me very jealous. So very much want.

50. Ariel says:

Weird that you would reference the only episode of Doctor Who I’ve ever seen. I would like to see more episodes but I just haven’t gotten around to it yet… How many seasons are there?