Somebodies: Gotye VJs His Covers

“Somebody That I Used To Know” is one of those rare songs–your hipster molecules tell you not to like it, but you can’t help listening to it when it pops up somewhere anyway. We’ve all heard the song the same number of times as its video views, which is currently 298, 680, 518, but this crowdsourced cover mash-up is pretty genius. As an love letter of appreciation to his fans, Gotye alias and body paint enthusiast Wally De Backer took a bunch of fan-made covers to create a mega-cover, and it’s kind of beautiful. Not just musically, but because this is a PERFECT snapshot of our YouTubey digital culture–talented individuals being pulled together by something they love on a platform that can be instantly exposed to the world. We are at a very special time in human history. Everyone has power. Everyone has a talent. You no longer have an excuse not to share yours with the world.

via reddit, of course

1. Barb R says:

2. Ted says:

Very cool, check out this version too bad it didn’t make the cut.

3. Brad Grenz says:

That was pretty cool. Sax guy and the dude shredding in a Batman tee-shirt were my faves.

4. diemrbond says:

I think I’ve said this before when Gotye comes up, but definitely not a one hit wonder – at least in Australia. Hearts a Mess is another freaking amazing song:

5. FiendishThingy says:

If you’re going to be at Bumbershoot in Seattle you should try to get him on the podcast. After watching the short on him making his most recent album, he seems like he could be an interesting guest.

6. Three toes of fury says:

AWESOME mashup! Loved it.

Now we just need to figure out a way to tell Australia that while we waited for 6 months after they thought they discovered him, we actually were into his stuff for 7 months…which means we were into him 1 month before them.

peace n how can we sleep when our beds are burning.

7. Don Gwinn says:

Awesome. I’ve actually never seen the video, though I recognize that it’s got the guy in paint against a painted background . . . . still, this is a beautiful thing. I just showed it to my wife, who has never seen it either (we’re not hipsters, I swear, just hicks) and we realized that the only version I’ve ever seen is “The Star Wars I Used to Know.”

I haven’t heard the song enough to be tired of it (again . . . hicks) but I’ve heard people comment that Gotye will be a one-hit wonder. But one of the cool things about digital culture is that you don’t have to accept that. If your first big hit reaches millions of people for some reason of cultural timing, great, but that no longer means that the next effort has to sound exactly like it (or exactly opposite–record companies never used to seem to know which was the formula.) You can build an audience by doing things like this, and they’ll love *you* instead of that one song by that one guy that used to be on the radio all the time that one summer.

8. Exactly, Amy. I love this song.

9. Hannah says:

So glad that Gotye is getting the recognition he deserves!
    Just remember, however many times America thinks they’ve heard it, Australia got it 6 months before.

10. This is why I love the internet. It is letting everyone have the ability to create. I am finally doing that with my blog and podcast. My husband is doing that with his blog and book. It’s great!

11. Amy says:

Perfect timing, the song is playing on my Pandora feed right now.

12. RavenSkye86 says: