2016 is the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, and Paramount is releasing the third reboot film, Star Trek Beyond, in the midst of that year-long celebration. Earlier this week, the first trailer for Star Trek Beyond beamed into movie theaters…and it had a lot of action and a lot of Beastie Boys. But it didn’t have much in the way of Star Trek.
At the European premiere for Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Star Trek Beyond co-star and co-screenwriter, Simon Pegg expressed his displeasure about the new trailer as he assured fans that the film will still be Star Trek at its core.
“It was surprising,” said Pegg during an interview with HeyUGuys. “I kind of felt it to be the marketing people saying, ‘Everybody come to see this film, it’s full of action and fun,’ when there’s a lot more to it than that. I didn’t love it, because I know there’s a lot more to the film. There’s a lot more story, a lot more character stuff and a lot more of what I would call ‘Star Trek’ stuff. But, you know, they’ve got to bring a big audience, they’ve gotta bang the drum…To the Star Trek fans I’d say, ‘Hang in there, be patient.’”
Star Trek Beyond director Justin Lin expressed a similar tone during a recent interview with /Film.
“When I saw the teaser, I’m like ‘Aw, sh-t. You really have to put the motorcycle in there?’ So I get it, I get it, I get it,” said Lin. “But with trailers you’re putting a two-hour movie into a minute and a half, and the one thing I wanted to make sure is that it hopefully represents that we are trying to be bold and take risks; whether we are successful or not, I don’t know.”
Star Trek Beyond will be released in theaters on July 22, 2016.
What did you think about the Star Trek Beyond trailer? Share your thoughts below!
Image Credit: Paramount Pictures