If there’s one movie that looks like it could be titled Things That Speak Directly to Our Sensibilities, it’s very likely Absolutely Anything, a new film set for release later this year. Here’s the rundown (are you ready for the rundown?):
1. It stars Simon Pegg
2. It was co-written and directed by Monty Python‘sTerry Jones
3. It features all five of the remaining Pythons (Jones, John Cleese, Terry Gilliam, Eric Idle, and Michael Palin)
4. It’s science fiction.
5. It’s a science fiction comedy where aliens are involved, not unlike the work of Douglas Adams, who wrote for the Pythons in the show’s final season.
6. Those aliens are VOICED by the Pythons
7. It features Eddie Izzard
8. It’s about a dork with the ability to do anything he wants, like having a genie in his hand.
9. It features Robin Williams (RIP) voicing a dog
10. There’s a zombie sequence
And that’s just all we know from the trailer; there’s probably going to be a whole lot more that we haven’t seen yet. Yes, it looks a little like a mashup of Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy and Bruce Almighty, but with the caliber of British comedy involved, not to mention Robin Williams, how could it not be great? Plus, not for nothing, but Kate Beckinsale’s in it, so I mean…
The last feature film Jones directed was an adaptation of Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride in 1996, so this will certainly be a welcome return to him in the director’s chair. And even just as voices, the thought of getting the Pythons all together on the big screen again is too exciting to my Society for Putting Things On Top of Other Things-loving heart.
Are you as stoked by this as I am? Are you a knight who until recently said Nee? Let’s talk below. (It’s way too noisy up here.)