We can always use more companions, especially when starting a new year. And we’re not picky—we don’t even mind if said companion takes cube form. Like the Companion Cube from Portal for example. Since you can’t easily go find one of these sentient gizmos in reality (unfortunately) the AWE me Youtube channel decided to show you how to make one of your own. Best of all, it won’t hurt your wallet very much, since you can do it for under $50. Peep the clip above to see what I mean.
This rad little project only requires a few items, most of which, as I mentioned above, won’t set you back very much. Here’s what you’ll need: Foam for the base, sandpaper to shape the foam, sharp tools to cut all your angles, adhesive to put all the parts together, and, of course, paint to give it the finishing touches. The video instructions seem deceptively simple, as I can only imagine that cutting all the necessary pieces will take a good amount of time to complete.
Here are all the pieces and dimensions you’ll need, per the list featured in the video’s YouTube description:
- Main Cube Body: 2” thick foam
- (2) pieces 14” x 14”
- (4) pieces 12” X 10”
- Corners: 2” thick foam
- (8) pieces 6” x 6”
- (8) pieces 6” x 4”
- (8) pieces 4” x 4”
- Middle Pieces: 0.5” thick foam
- (12) pieces 4” x 3”
- (12) pieces 4” x 1.25”
- Metric Units:
- Main Cube Body: 2” thick foam – or local metric equivalent
- (2) pieces 35.5 cm x 35.5 cm
- (4) pieces 30.5 cm x 25.5 cm
- Corners: 2” thick foam– or local metric equivalent
- (8) pieces 15.25 cm x 15.25 cm
- (8) pieces 15.25 cm x 10.20 cm
- (8) pieces 10.20 cm x 10.20 cm
- Middle Pieces: 0.5” thick foam– or local metric equivalent
- (12) pieces 10.20 cm x 7.60 cm
- (12) pieces 10.20 cm x 3.20 cm
If you want to take a different approach, you might also create the cube using wood, or perhaps go the plushy route and sew together soft materials; granted, either of these is probably a more difficult endeavor. No matter which option you choose, you can always get creative with the paint scheme, in order to customize your companion cube to your liking.
Will you guys be trying this at home? What other video game item would you like to get this treatment? Let us know in the comment section below.
Image Credit: AWE me