Zach Braff

Nerdist Podcast: Zach Braff

The awesome Zach Braff is on the show! He sits down with Chris, Jonah and Matt to talk about how he has the perfect name to say while burping, his love for photography, and growing up as a theater nerd!

1. filthy says:

I was hoping Zack’s r/gonewild story would be talked about on this ep. I hadn’t heard of gonewild until Chris mentioned it back in the spring of this year. I used to spend my lunch breaks reading sci fi and building Warhammer 40k figures. But since the summer it was all gonewild all the time, until the stupid company I was stealing wi fi from went out of business 3 weeks ago. Now it’s back to building my dumb Dark Angel army….. So I guess what I’m saying is thank you and fuck you for talking about gonewild Chris!

2. Teri says:

I love your voice, Zach!

3. Fantas says:

Braff stutters a lot. He’s quite internet savvy, as they go. Podcast needs more Portman. Make it happen, Hardwick.

4. JetpackBlues says:

I was gonna say, is that what squeezing into a phone sounds like? :-p

I would have guessed it sounded like making fart noises with a balloon. Or dragging a needle across a record.

What I heard was orders of magnitude better.

I’m just glad someone was excited to hear from me after 2 in the morning….

5. Patty Marvel says:

SQUEEing into the phone, not SQUEEZing in. That’s, like, hard and stuff.

6. mattsname says:

Ppppppplease actually do make Zack a regular check in guest!! Please, please, please!! He fits into the Nerdist so well!!!!!!

7. Matt Grandis says:

Well, he did turn wine into water.

Cause he quit drinking. Get it? Haha! Ha.

Ha. Okay, it’s late anyway, I’ll just leave.

8. Yeah, don’t get me wrong, Hardwick. You’re good. But you’re not THAT good.

9. Matt Grandis says:

Now that’s taking the reverence a bit too far, dontcha think, Pat?

10. Patty Marvel says:

@Christ Hardwick – It went rather well, thank you! So excited when Jetpack Blues called, though he probably didn’t appreciated my loudly squeezing into the phone (sorry, Dude). Played some requests from Nerdist fans and even threw in a Siouxsie and the Banshees song for you. Here’s the show: and here’s the playlist:

@bastien – True, although to be fair I think they were in on the boob thing together – can’t say *I* normally wear titanium titty toppers. Come to think of it, didn’t Justin Timberlake have to apologize to the crowd while he was on stage at the Grammy Awards?

@Brian Mah – I remember your uncle! He wasn’t a cast regular, but he showed up in a LOT of episodes. Sweet!

11. Ross says:

Odd how nerdy discussions of Mandy Patinkin always seem to forget the marvelously weird/funny series “Dead Like Me”. Of course, I’m old enough to remember when mention of Patinkin immediately triggered theatre geek squeeing about “Sunday in the Park with George”…

12. Brian Mah says:

Cool interview. My uncle, Charles Chun (Dr. Wen), worked on your show.

13. Dean says:

Hahaha I like how not being a fan of Torchwood apparently precludes you from being into Doctor Who.

14. bastien says:

The fucked up thing about the Janet Jackson “scandal”?

Janet Jackson basically had to apologize to America for having nipples. Meanwhile, Justin Timberlake–who is the one who actually exposed her–barely got any flak at all.

15. Chris Hardwick says:

Angry Customer: you have to turn mobile on at the bottom of your page. There 2 different trouble codes for your particular brand of problem in tech support.

and my favorite

(Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair)

Be less angry and more observant. Good night!

And I love everyone else. Hope your show was great, Patty!

16. Patty Marvel says:

@J King Kong – He got that name when his robe fell open.

@JetpackBlues – Thanks for calling me! So cool to hear your voice after typing back and forth with you for so long! Feel free to shoot me a few requests for next week’s show!

That invite is open to all citizens of Nerdistania. I’m on the air from 2am to 4am EST every Saturday, the WRUW request line is 216-368-2208 and all shows are archived for a week and available for live streaming at .

17. J King Kong says:

18. Angry customer says:

This site sucks, horribly configured for mobile. Zach Braff is awesome though.

19. JetpackBlues says:

@Quemmento: I know, right?! Knowing I was a huge Elfman/Oingo Boingo fan, he tried to put me off the trail by saying it was someone involved with “The Simpsons.”

Oddly enough though, no mention of Katie Holmes boobs!

I had an evil girlfriend that refused to let me go to the East Coast Farewell show. I will regret missing that for the rest of my life. But I got to see them live during the “Alive” tour, bought the “Farewell” double CD, videotape of the show, then the DVD.

I covet all of their albums (yes, the VINYL ones), CDs, etc.

@Patty: I just got back from “Skyfall” and am up for now. May call with a quick request before I crash.

20. Chris Hardwick says:

Oh dear, sweet, CharlesDickins…I very much appreciate the nice things here and wonderful people! I am comic, though, and responding to hecklers is a knee-jerk response. Also, now I have DeBarge’s “All This Love” in my head thanks to your comment.

21. Patty Marvel says:

@James Jesus Christ – Does someone need a nap?

22. James Jesus Christ says:

Put on a fucking suit hardwick they feel fine. PUSSY

23. James Jesus Christ says:

Children of earth fucking sucked compared to the rest of it, and you’re barely a doctor who fan if you haven’t seen anymore than children of earth.

24. James Jesus Christ says:

Chris, you need to watch misfits again, Curtis can go back in time and forward at random times at first because of his emotions, the powers are weird but badass, and they gain control later.

25. Katie says:

I <3 you Zach Braff!! Can't wait for Oz and your new ABC show!!

26. Patty Marvel says:

@Team Nerdist – The buying/processing film bit hit home. My cell phone battery was dying quick the day of your NYCC podcast so I had to find a place in Times Square that still sold disposable cameras. Had to talk to two guys in one store before the older of them even knew what I was talking about. THEN after the 28 exposures were all used, had to find a Walmart that still did film developing, and THAT took a while because they don’t process in-house and the company that does only picked up/dropped off orders on Tuesdays and Fridays. A good two weeks passed between the time my pictures were taken and the time I could see the results. Meanwhile, every picture taken with my little purple Android could be Tweeted and shared with the world within seconds.

Random thought – those of us in our late-thirties/early-forties are lucky. We’re this “bridge generation” in a time of great technological advancement. On the one hand, we’re old enough to remember life before the Internet and cell phone – hell, CORDLESS phones – and cable TV and digital anything-besides-a-timekeeper and whatever else that’s been invented since 1990, which allows us to appreciate that technology in a way the generation behind us can’t because they grew up with all the whiz bang gizmos already in their homes. On the other hand, we “bridgers” are still young enough to embrace the technology while our parents’ generation distrusts or outright fears it. We are the fortunate ones. Dammit, someone should write a sociology paper about that!

@Doctor Quemmento – I LIKE THAT CD TOO!!! I LOVE what they did with “I am the Walrus!!!” Shoot, I’ll play it for you on my show! I’ll be on the air from 2:00am to 4:00am EST, WRUW’s request line is 216-368-2208 and all shows are live streamed AND archived here: . Call me up sometime!

@Picklemeth – Tell me about it. I compare that to someone randomly going up to a stranger at a party, saying “Your tie sucks,” and immediately wandering off. That’s a weird thing to do in real life, WHY is it okay on the Internet?

27. @Charles
    I think you’re comparing apples and oranges.

That woulda been fantastiballs! Id’ve pulled a Zach Braff’s dog on an airplane if that had happened to me. I’d have to be kanchoed just to stop the chaos. Over the past 17 years I think I’ve lost and subsequently repurchased 4 copies of Oingo Boingo’s live Farewell double album from their last concert in 1995. Such. Good. Shit.

28. Picklemeth says:

I like how someone who apparently hates Chris Hardwick is posting on a specific episode of a podcast hosted by Chris Hardwick on a website owned by Chris Hardwick. Internet hate is weeeeeeird.

29. Kieran says:

As soon as Missfits was mentioned I nearly jizzed.

30. @Chris What about fucktardedness? Nah, you’re right, even mediocre on that scale.

For what it’s worth, I found you guys immensely sufferable. Bearable in the extreme. In fact, this podcast was like not listening to fingernails scraping against a chalkboard. And just when I thought it couldn’t possibly not get any worse…it did.

31. CharlesDickins says:

All this love, and you only respond to the negative comment, Chris.

32. Chris Hardwick says:

Carter, bringing nothing to any heights ever.

33. cat says:

Oh Lawd! I have a giant Zach Braff Crush, so thanks for posting this! Best distraction today… Other than the hour I spent on tumblr.

34. stefano says:

great episode. I can’t wait for another one with Zach and maybe Donald. good job guys.

35. Luvs mesome Zach! says:

Im with Gary- navigated all over this via my smartphone and cannot find a link for the podcast. Only several other videos and misc content. Not good with my mobile????

36. Sean Cargle says:

Pretty great, bring him on the show again.

37. Carter says:

Chris Hardwick and Zach Braff — bringing insufferability to new heights.

38. HipsterPete says:

Dear Chris:

I had this odd fear that you hated and envied Zach Braff because he was enjoying success around your age whilst you were being Peter Hardwick. I think I really thought this because Scrubs is my favorite show of all time, and I never hear you talk about it.

However, now that it’s clear that you guys get along quite well, I have this odd feeling that everything is right in the world. I just wanted to thank you for doing what you do with a smile on your face despite countless douchers on the internet, and I’d love to see more collaborations between you and JD.

Thanks again,

–That Guy With The Glasses

39. Picklemeth says:

It’s Dark Side of the Moon that syncs up with The Wizard of Oz, not The Wall. I’m 19, and I actually know that reference better than Jonah. Have faith in your audience, bitches.

40. Lunis Badman says:

Pretty good! I kinda forgot how much I like Zach Braff. I’m thinkin’ a Scubs/Garden State revisit is overdue.

41. Gary says:

Where can i go to hear the podcast?

42. Dirty Money says:

HAHAHAHA!!! Great episode with a class act. TV needs more Zach Braff!

43. Alexis W says:

This is great, I love Zach Braff! I dont know how I couldve called myself a fan if I didnt know that he was a nerd.

This is the best news.

44. JetpackBlues says:

A friend of mine worked on “The Gift” and threatened to call me to put someone from the production on the phone, during the transport time between the hotel/set.

Turns out ‘that someone’ was going to be Danny Elfman.

I never got the call, but I’m sure I would have just had fanboy praise-diarrhea if it had happened. And it would have been at some ridiculous hour of the morning, or after a long day of shooting, and something he wouldn’t have wanted to listen to at that point in time.

Of course, I’m projecting. I’m sure he’s awesome.

45. Curtis says:

ZB is exactly how I expect him to be. I only wish we would have heard more talk on his and Donald’s friendship, but I guess that means that he’ll just have to come back on. Maybe with Donald?

46. DrDyno says:

I like Nerdist and I like Zach Braff.. great that they are together!

47. Eddy says:

Browsing reddit while listening to famous redditors talk about reddit.

48. Patty Marvel says:

@JetpackBlues – Cthulu dangit, you’re RIGHT!

And while I’m here, I’ve thought of another person who really, really should be interviewed for this podcast:—pobo-efekoro

49. JetpackBlues says:

@Patty: Your #1 should have been “Early Adopter.”

50. Patty Marvel says:

#1. FIRSTIES!

#2. Have been looking forward to this for SO long! ZB is both funny and yummy!

#3. Random thought – please interview Nate Silver. He’s got a book out (“The Signal and the Noise: Why Most Predictions Fail – But Some Don’t”) and he started out as a baseball stats geek, so Matt can fanboy-out with him! Just a suggestion.