Wilco

Nerdist Podcast: Wilco

Chris, Jonah and Wil Wheaton (who sat in for Matt Mira) hung out with Wilco’s Jeff Tweedy for an amazingly in depth chat about his path to becoming a musician and how his kids like having a rockstar for a dad. Make sure to stick around at the end for a few songs from Wilco’s sound check at The Wiltern! And click here to see the video of Jeff doing the weather on WGN Chicago!

Art by Dana Lechtenberg

Comments

1. George says:

Terrific interview. Leave it to a couple of comics to conduct an in-depth, thoughtful interview.
    Love Wilco! — Nice job.

2. Annie says:

@Jeremy W. – A Ghost is Born :)

3. Chris says:

NIce to hear a Tweedy chat. Everyone likes to go over the YHF situation, and its understandable. Label buys same record twice after giving it away, music industry watershed. Good fly on the wall documentary of a band in transition.

Its a long time ago for Wilco now, but for me the transition of Wilco from A.M., very tuneful in a very straightforward way, and the addition of Bennett to make Being There is such a moment. And the songs hold up well, as anyone who’s heard his Christmas fundraiser solo shows will know.

That album is like a mixed up, fucked up love note to the seventies, rock fandom, loneliness, and sound. Its really sonically interesting even if it bounces between cod Stones, country rock, wall of sound, and even Grateful Dead noodling. I’d love to hear Tweedy talk about that record one day, but maybe with the fallout with Bennett on film and then his dying, it will never happen.

4. Wilco was heavily inlfuenced by the Replacements. In turn, those two bands have influenced a lot of the Alternative scene today. Dad Rock will live long after all our Dad’s have passed on.

Here’s our own version of Dad Rock (but let’s not categorize):

Thank you Wilco…keep on keeping on.

5. hannahk says:

@Jeremy: it doesn’t matter which album you get first, they are all great; can’t go wrong. I don’t have a favorite song or album because I can’t pick one. I LOVE WILCO. Pick one up. Go on youtube and just enjoy.

6. dani says:

@ Will. Must’ve had a brain-fart when I wrote my earlier post. You’re absolutely right “Being There” is a great album. Agreed: @ Jeremy W, listen to “Being There”. :)

7. Tony says:

Hendrix used to back Little Richard.

8. LaminatedCat says:

Thank you for shining a well deserved spot light on Wilco.

9. Ayonomous says:

Wow, they sound checked with some Big Star riffs. That’s pretty fucking cool.

10. Will says:

Nobody suggested Being There?? Shame on you all. Jeremy W: listen to Being There.

11. Samuel P says:

Funny hear this guy talk about not worry about a bad show or the audience’s reactions. I have personally seen him act like a rockstar dick on stage, and refuse to keep playing unless the crowd got more into the show.

12. Jeremy W. says:

@dani and @julia thank you for the advice!

13. Julia says:

I can’t wait to listen to this. I love Wilco!

Jeremy W – I would suggest getting Wilco A.M. and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot to start with. Enjoy!

14. Laura Chin says:

Thanks for introducing me to Wilco (and lots of other awesome things I didn’t know about, but are completely in love with now aka Doctor Who!)

15. SlimCharles says:

Wow, cool. Tweedy always seemed a bit arrogant to me, judging from his fights with Jay Farrar and late Jay Bennett. Also, I always preferred Farrar’s music. I don’t really love any of Wilco’s albums after YHF.. But, despite all that I so can’t wait to hear this!!!

16. Dibbs34 says:

Gotta admit, never been a fan of Wilco’s music. But it was a really insightful podcast into the music industry, and into the life of an obviously talented artist, so A+ all around!

17. dani says:

I absolutely adore Wilco & it is amazing to hear Jeff Tweedy discuss the creative process. He’s one of the greats. I, too, wish you’d been able to chat a little bit with the rest of the guys, since they’re all amazing musicians at the top of their game, but I will be satisfied with a few repeat listens to the Tweedy conversation.

@ Jacob: the song at the end is called “Rising Red Lung” it’s from their latest album, and the song right before it is “One Wing” from the previous album.

@ Jeremy W: depending on what kind of music you like — if it’s more experimental, go for “Yankee Hotel Foxtrot” or “A Ghost is Born”, if it’s more alt-country, go for “Summerteeth” or “A.M.”, if it’s approachable, but with a twist, go for “Sky Blue Sky”, “Wilco(The Album)” or the latest “”The Whole Love”. Each of their albums is stylistically different, so there’s never a dull moment.

18. dylan says:

i’ve been darkly dreaming christopher. couldn’t be a proper stalker cos i am not in the states. yakee hotel foxtrot

19. Spencer Tweedy (http://spencertweedy.com) is also quite the web designer, and music blogger as well (check out http://unrequiredlistening.com). I see great design work coming from him in the future.

20. Jeremy W. says:

Wow, I’ve never actually heard of Wilco before this podcast. I think I’ll go buy an album or two! For those of you who are fans, what album would you suggest I get first?

21. Jacob says:

Good luck with the show tonight Chris! BTW, what is the name of the song at the end?

22. matt says:

Good luck on the show tonight Chris!

23. nathan w says:

Matt should be permanently replaced.

24. Nick Harvey says:

awesome! Wish nels cline was there haha. Seriously awesome you guys are branching out to musicians. Psyched for more!

25. Alisa W. says:

Oh My Science!! This is like getting the best Christmas and birthday present all wrapped up with the best sex ever. I so love Wilco and can’t wait to hear this episode! Good on ya, Nerdist!!!

26. Jessica says:

So excited to listen to this, I LOVE WILCO!!!!!!!!!