Tom Hanks

Nerdist Podcast: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks! Tom. Motherf–king. Hanks. What more of a description do you NEED than that? Is the fact that we talk about Tom’s career, NASA logos, Storage Wars, vintage typewriters, and blasting caps going to influence your decision any further to enjoy this very special and hilariotastic episode?? Well I guess it should, because Tom made those all really fun things to talk about. And those rumors about his being the nicest most down-to-Earth fellow? ENTIRELY TRUE.

Extra thanks go to Ashley Olivia, Allison Diamond, Josh Cummings, and Katie Levine.

Watch Electric City!

Artwork by The Comics Factory! Give them a photo and they’ll turn you into a superhero!

John Cleese Recapping THE WALKING DEAD Is Simply Delightful

John Cleese Recapping THE WALKING DEAD Is Simply Delightful

Wolverine's LOGAN Trailer Looks Unlike Any Superhero Movie We've Seen

Wolverine's LOGAN Trailer Looks Unlike Any Superhero Movie We've Seen

"Borrowed Time" Is What Pixar Animators Make on Their Days off

1. Vanessa says:

One of my favorite episodes! Loved the Willie Mays story.

2. Ebettybeth says:

ARRG. Whatever nerdist changed starting with this podcast does not allow me to listen at work. Is there some new feed for just this podcast? I can listen to all of the other podcasts on this site…but not the Nerdist! I need to get a new job…..

3. Myra Mae McFarland says:

Great interview. It sounded as though everyone involved genuinely had a great time. I listened to the whooooole thing. Now I’m obsessed with finding the longer version of That Thing You Do. And I have that stupid song now stuck in my head.

4. kubagami says:

That was incredible! It’s all down hill from here. how do you top Tom Hanks? He’s so natural funny. Great ep!

5. Michael says:

D’oh! Forgot to indicate that I found this humorous with the obligatory 😉

6. Michael says:

Amazing conversation – but clearly the freedoms enjoyed on the podcast had a negative impact when he was on “traditional media” this morning:

7. Heather says:

I had no idea how much I loved Tom Hanks. I busted out laughing several times during this podcast. And goddamn, his Storage Wars impressions were spot fucking on. I rarely listed to the same podcast multiple times, but this was an exception.

8. Brian says:

I just realized, Tom confused The Hives with The Strokes.

But he can, because, he is Tom fucking Hanks.

9. Jeremy says:

I always love the podcast, but this episode got me through the last part of a 50 mile run. It made last the last bit of my 10 hour ordeal at least somewhat enjoyable. Thanks as always!

10. Alec says:

Tom’s analysis of “The Replacement Ref” made me giggle.

11. Alex says:

I love this podcast… A lot. I consider it as at least three smiles a week! This one is just perfect! Thanks so much!

12. lindsayc says:

This was so awesome. Blasting caps made me laugh so hard I cried. Thanks.

13. SamEyeAm says:

Hope that there’s a Part Deux soon because there are so many things they didn’t have time to talk about. I’d love to hear about projects he passed on, Catch Me If You Can, A League Of Their Own, Pixar…the list goes on and on.

And Tom Hanks should have his own reality show and they should call it “Tom Hanks Hates Reality TV (except for a few shows)” or something to that affect. I’d watch the shit out of that!

14. Julia says:

One of the best!

15. maus says:

FYI – The quarterback for the Seahawks is named Russell “Wilson”.

16. alyssa says:

17. Hudzo says:

Tom Hanks does a better Willie Mays than Willie Mays

18. Jareth Inks says:

Wow, I loved the letter from Mr. Hanks. He always comes across as a fun and likeable bloke – great actor, too. Fantastic to see he’d do this. You often forget how talented a comedian he is due to some of his more serious roles; Saving Private Ryan etc. What I didn’t know is that he collected old typewriters. I wouldn’t mind owning one, to be honest, there’s something wonderfully archaic about using them.

19. Willie Mays says:

Dun touchem

20. smallerdemon says:

Man oh man, you made me miss Hanks’ presence in comedy, though. And did I miss something or did you guys not talk about The ‘Burbs? (I listen at work, so sometimes I miss stuff.) But yeah, personally, I miss Hanks in comedy. His timing was always amazing and his choices in the 80s and 90s for comedy were mostly spot-on great. The Money Pit gets dinged a lot as one of his lesser roles, but he is fantastic in that movie. And as mentioned, The ‘Burbs is downright astonishing (it’s Joe Dante, so of course it is). Joe vs the Volcano is another favorite as well.

But this was a great conversation. Mainly to hear Hanks sounding like I remember him sounding in the 80s and being able to still have fun as opposed to his often somber roles in a lot of his modern work.

21. Joe says:

Here’s that image from the football game:

22. Hellpop says:

Great show, you guys should be proud of this one. Only one issue: can’t believe you didn’t bring up “Mazes and Monsters”. It’s a movie of the week he did about a kid addicted to a D&D like game. So awesome.

23. jason stanford says:

Great podcast, who gave the comic factory a shot of tim allen though?

24. Dan says:

Man what another great interview/podcast/funfest. Great job all around guys, I just wish you told Tom he could curse more cause it’d be funny to see how much he does. I counted all the movies from when he started to Joe versus to volcano and there were like 7 or 8 good movies, not just 2! I wish you guys mentioned after he said that Cheers took over for the Bosom Buddies set, that later Tom would star in Money Pit with Shelley Long… who was in Cheers! O.o (I’m sure that was all ready said, but it’s still pretty cool.) Get Michael C Hall! :O

25. William Shears says:

This was terrific – Hanks is hilarious and still has that 12-yr-old boy from “Big” in his personality. Not a pretentious bone in his body. Go see him in ‘Cloud Atlas’, it’s a phenomenal movie and deserves to be a BO hit in the US (I’m sure it’ll do well overseas). I salute the Typewriter Geek!

26. Ben Z says:

HAHA! Jonah got called a hipster by Tom Hanks! It’s official!

27. MichaelH says:

How are you viewing the site? There should be a set of icons at the bottom, a down arrow to the right download, and a play arrow to the left to play on the site. You can go directly to the file with this link:

28. Lee Cox says:

Not sure what I’m doing wrong but I can’t see how I can listen to the podcast……that’s for any help