Thomas Jane

Nerdist Podcast: Thomas Jane

Thomas Jane (and a special super-cute guest of his) sit down with Chris and Matt to talk about Deep Blue Sea, the DIY revolution in the film industry, and the KickStarter for his video game Bad Planet!

Click here to support the Bad Planet KickStarter!

Comments

1. Chris Hardwick says:

@Nick: I’ve seen it! They were playing it on a monitor at Meltdown Comics a while back. Your description reminded me. Good stuff.

2. Nick says:

Cat Shit One IS actually a real film short! It’s a Chinese computer animated adult Pixar-ish movie about US soldiers (played by bunnies) in the middle east (played by camels), Chinese soldiers (pandas), etc etc etc. SUPER VIOLENT, but surprisingly, really awesome. I guess they’re trying to make it into a series.

3. Patty Marvel says:

@notadoctor – But do you play one on TV? ;)

Yeah, I’d love it if Doc could guest on a Hostful – that happened before with someone named Mindy, yes?

@Doc – Sooooo…get anything interesting in the mail recently? ;)

4. notadoctor says:

I’ve got a crazy idea. For all of Dr. Quemmento’s anti-trolling efforts I think he should be rewarded with an appearance on a Nerdist Hostful. And maybe the whole episode could be themed around freedom of speech, trolling, etc. Or it could be along the same lines as the other hostful with the delight fan who knitted/sewed presents for Chris, Matt, and Jonah.

Either way, thank you for the excellent short story/lesson Dr. Quemmento.

5. @DoctorQuemmento You are my quemment hero! No make that my hero. I hope I get to be as awesome as you when I finally decide to grow up. Although I’m thinking I might be beyond the possibility of ever growing up. ;-)

@chris Your response to the troll was eloquent. It was a pity that it was wasted on someone who didn’t deserve it. I appreciate that you keep this a place where reading comments isn’t a sadomasochistic activity. :-)

Enjoy the longest set up to the most obvious punch line on twitter:

6. Patty Marvel says:

@toonsmyth – If you ever make that picture you drew into a t-shirt (maybe through Redbubble or Cafe Press?), please let me know. Yours and the one from Hostful “Complaint Unit for Nerdist Trolley” are my favorites. Seriously, I’m @PattyMarvel on Twitter, so let me know if/when that happens.

7. JetpackBlues says:

*shakes fist*

Goddamn you Quemmento! I came down this morning to find ants everywhere. You jinx!

Quemmeeeeeennnnntooooooo!

8. Dan says:

I was really upset Hung ended, it’s one of the only shows that really makes me laugh actually and not the “Oh… I see what they did.. ha ha.” Hung and Nurse Jackie. So I really glad Jane is so busy and getting things he wants to do get done. He’s such a man’s man o.o I wonder why Tarantino and him never worked together (at least I don’t think) they seem to like the same things (i.e. Tarantino’s “Django Unchained”) I just wish one of you called him Todd Parker! Great job guys!

9. toonsmyth says:

you can’t see it, but right now I am doing a MOTHERFUCKIN’HAPPYDANCE!

(oontz! oontz! oontz!) XD

This podcast has provided me with SO much inspirational entertainment while I’m cranking out the ‘toons… I’m just glad that I could utilize my meager talents to show my appreciation for all those burritos I’ve enjoyed.

10. Patty Marvel says:

@jabbathehun – You’re not alone. I sure heard it, especially in the second half of the podcast. Everyone in the room with him just did the gentlemanly thing and worked with/around him. I’m also wondering if TJ was the guest who forgot to show up as mentioned early in the latest Hostful.

11. jabbathehun says:

Am I the only one to think TJ was either a couple sheets to the wind or had a Vicodin or 2 too many? Don’t get me wrong, it was extremely entertaining–occasionally frustrating, but ultimately a great interview. Only wish he was a little more clear-headed.

12. Chris Hardwick says:

@toonsmyth: shit yeah we’ll use that! Thanks!!!

13. Jerry says:

@caywow Thanks! :) I forgot Chris mentioned the Nerdist instagram :P

14. caywow says:

@Jerry: Only this FRIKKIN ADORABLE one: http://instagram.com/p/NkeYzJJGqE/

15. Jerry says:

Are there pictures of the cat? :D

16. toonsmyth says:

Thanks very much! That would be a HUGE honor! :D

17. ICollectHobbies says:

The Punisher is a dirty, shoeless hippie? Really?

Aaaaand, just kidding. I love this interview. Thomas Jane is super interesting. Plus a kitty lover. Awesome.

18. Patty Marvel says:

Holy crap, toonsmyth! That’s GREAT! I hope it’s used for the next Hostful!

19. toonsmyth says:

Thanks for responding and for the kind compliment, Chris! That made my day! Hopefully THIS will make YOURS!

Here’s a scaled-down version… You know… In case you want to use it for anything. If not, totally cool. Just my way of saying thanks for all your hard work and entertainment! Enjoy! ;)

20. Chris Hardwick says:

@toonsmyth: as far as I know, Jonah stayed off the happy pills and just took ibuprofen! Pleased to report he has recovered! And you’re right about ignoring the troll thing. Usually we do, but since it happens pretty much every week at a certain point you get fed up with it. Kind of a “REALLY? We’re doing this again???” kind of thing.

Also, I love your avatar.

21. toonsmyth says:

Hope Jonah’s recovery is swift and that he has plenty of happy pills and trippy cartoon shows to take his mind off the pain.

22. Roninmoka says:

I love this guy….always loved the first punisher. I LOVE LOVE how you think Chris Hardwick. Everything is an opportunity for greatness.

23. Walter says:

Wow, it felt like the discussion was a heart beat away from 9/11 conspiracies. Interesting guy. Not sure if anyone else got this but it felt like he was shitting on the Punisher movie he was in. Kind of sucks cause I love that movie. Also there was a point when Chris was going to talk about the ridiculousness of the Dolph Lundgren Punisher and Thomas Jane shit all over it. Which didn’t matter cause Chris was able to roll with it. Thomas Jane seemed to keep wanting to make the conversation really negative, but Chris did a great job of pushing through it and focusing on the positive stuff.

24. Sean J says:

Great podcast. It must have been great to sit there and listen to Thomas talk so passionately about all that stuff. I’m glad I got a chance to share in that.

Does anyone else think he sounds like a cleaned up version of Heath Ledger’s Joker?

And also I don’t visit these comment threads too frequently but was surprised to see such drama. I think this podcast is a great way to kill my commute and makes me laugh consistently. If people have negative comments why don’t we all just ignore them? If no one even acknowledges an asshole then it won’t cause a stink.

Thanks for the great FREE podcasts!

25. Danicus Decimus Meridius says:

Have him on again! This was a really enlightening one. It’s good to see people trying to change things and be passionate about it.

26. Ross says:

Very interesting and surprising interview. I know you aren’t a sports guy(I’m not much, either), but I was really disappointed there was no discussion of what may be the _best_ acting he’s ever done: Mickey Mantle in “61*”. He and Barry Pepper are phenomenally good as Mantle & Maris. And, frankly, the story really isn’t about baseball, except how the pressure from fanatics(read: baseball nerds) warped the lives of these two remarkable athletes. Actually, I’m a little surprised Matt didn’t bring it up.

27. JetpackBlues says:

Sooo should we surround this thread with cinnamon & baby powder? :-P

Actually, if we’re going to talk about solving real-world ant problems, boric acid (Borax) works and food/horticulture grade diatomaceous earth is the best. Both dehydrate the little invaders. But be sure to wear a dust mask when applying them just in case.

28. Whenever Chris was talking to the kitten, I imagined he was actually talking to Matt.

29. toonsmyth says:

Cheese and rice Almighty, I had to see what all the hubbub was about. All this commotion over a little trololol? I am with Scrib on this one. The BEST thing you can do is IGNORE them. By responding to them, you’re just giving them the attention they crave and encouraging further posts, as you can see.
    I have been guilty of trolling. I have done so out of envy and jealousy for YouTube channels that have far more subscribers than mine for producing far less. I had a lot of anger and frustration back then, but I learned to stop wasting time being angry and utilize that time toward production. I realize now how petty and small I was being, and I have apologized for my behavior. I am a recovering trollaholic and I am 2 years sober.

Except for that Tim and Eric thing a while back. I STILL don’t get them. ;P

Thank you for these amazing and infinitely entertaining podcasts.

30. AbruptCuts says:

Great podcast…it was awesome to hear that Thomas Jane is a nerd at heart and is so passionate about his various projects.
    I’ve absolutely loved going to the late night screenings he’s had at SDCC for the past few years and am absolutely crushed that I missed the premiere of Dirty Laundry (I screamed ‘FRANKS BACK!’ after watching it on youtube). My greatest memory of Thomas Jane is at SDCC 2010 at the screening of Give em Hell Malone: he wanted to keep the Q&A going after their time was up so he took the mike and stood up on top of a table. The comic-con staff had to cajole him down. Really awesome guy…really cares about what the fans think and wanting to keep that Q&A going really showed that. He’s also super eccentric… half the time I can’t tell if he’s drunk or if he’s just naturally like that – pretty sure this is a sign of a true artist.

31. Blacksting says:

I think people have misjudged what Thomas Jane was saying about not voting. He was implying that you we are going to get screwed either way and that if a President was elected by (let’s say) a little more than half of five percent of the entire voting public (2.5 percent win) a statement would be made. Yes it would be a dangerous and bold statement but the press would hammer a President elected only by 2.5 percent of eligible voters for having no mandate and no credibility. They would have power, yes. Any elected official has that same power now and endless debates over how they use it clog up our media every day. The statement of non-voting (not of apathy but of disgust ) would be dead weight hanging around the political system that would continue to resonate throughout the President’s term.. That is what Thomas was getting at.

32. Matt10 says:

Not voting is not an option. That’s how these people win elections: a bunch of their opposing voters stay home. Most of the people in our represtentitive branch of government are businessmen and lawyers. They simply do not care if people are disgusted and just don’t vote, all they care about is victory. There hasn’t really been any movement on corruption in Washington in general and loobying is just going on business as usual.

If you wanted to make a difference then you would run your own political candidate for office and get people to vote for that person. If you feel that the system somehow supercedes your votes and ignores them then run a recount and continue to press the issue. If that person you’ve elected is corrupt and unacceptable after a while you run a recall election and replace that person with another person whose ideals and plans represent the people.

Hope – Action = 0

33. Noeland says:

That was fantastic. I’m one of the mods over at the RAW forum and yeah, we try and keep the bathrooms very clean, smelling fresh, and the hallways free of clutter.

34. @Chris
    Thank you, sir! I actually heard the same thing about cinnamon, so for a month my kitchen smelled just like Christmas, but it didn’t work so I gave it up. If only we could somehow flood the Nerdist.com comment threads with the smell of clean baby ass…

And, not for nothin’, but I didn’t go to quemmenting graduate school for four years just to have my title left out of the @s by a whippersnapper like you. ;)

35. Curtis says:

@DrQuemmento – You, sir, are a god of word-tellings.

36. @Quemmento: Well done! And for the record, baby powder works great with ants. They won’t cross it.

37. @Heather: uh, nothing has been deleted at all. I still see it on my screen! And as the only person here who has the power to delete a comment, I can assure you that I did not.

38. Heather says:

Seriously? You deleted my comment?

39. @CC @AC #cuntofficelives

40. Heather says:

I know nothing about this guy. He volunteers nothing. Family, kids, growing up? Why do his passions — comics, pulp fiction, the films he loves — have such little nourishing value? Not very generous. But sorta interesting.

41. Casillas says:

He was not like I expected him to be. Really cool dude.

42. GuanoLad says:

I certainly want to make Gothic Steampunk films. And loads more besides.

43. Scrib says:

@Chris/JetPackBlue The real drag is I can’t get an Oscar Goldman unless someone is playing the bongos behind me.

44. Martin says:

Great podcast.

I agree with Thomas Jane that we do have the power to make change. But I disagree with the ideal about not voting. I don’t think having a large number of people stop voting would change much giving that half of us don’t vote already and no one is stopping to say the system is broken. What people should do is start voting but instead of the Democrats and Republicans people should start voting 3rd party more. They don’t have to win they just need to get enough votes for people to say “Hey the D and R aren’t the only game in town and there other ideals out there.” The D and R will start changing some of their ways. etc etc

45. Wildride says:

I love the “Deep blue speech!”

46. Matt Grandis says:

Once again Doctor Quemmento shames us all with his effortless, casual brilliance. You fucking bastard.

47. sarah says:

OMG… really loved this episode. If he does a streamline cross country viewing of his movie I would love to be involved. That is such a great way of making your movie known and getting people involved. There should be a Nerdist Kitty :)

48. Troup says:

I want to see that trailer!

49. TODD says:

I love Katie and you guys have been KILLING lately!!
    Thanks for staying relevant to my interests.