Seth Green

Nerdist Podcast: Seth Green

Seth Green is finally on the show! He talks about juggling multiple jobs at once, the days of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the art of toy collecting!

Support the show by clicking on the banner and shopping at

1. Vanie says:

Thank you for another essential article.

2. Vanie says:

Thank you for this essential podcast. It really awesome…Good job!

3. Gil Thompson says:

Am I jealous that you both get to be in the entertainment industry and do what you love for a living? Of course I am. I think however that many of your younger listeners who are working hard in college or whatever else should be praised for deciding to go to work for a living. That is what makes your entitled lives possible in the first place. I would think you’d rather not point that out, but I guess I’m just an idiot.

4. Gil Thompson says:

I just listed to this podcast and I’m a big fan of both Seth Green and Chris…however…You are both completely delusional. If no one works for a living and everyone just does everything that they love than who in the hell is going to buy any of your entertainment? I’m putting myself back through school so I can pay for my family and I was really irritated by your idiotic ideas that everyone can just do what they love today and everyone can be in the entertainment industry. It’s this line of thinking that is destroying the country. Shame on your both.

5. Mari says:

Loved this podcast, I really like Seth Green and yeaa for Ravenclaw!

6. This was such a brilliant podcast, honestly. Seth Green is so brilliant! A total treasure for nerds everywhere. And I can totally relate to Seth Green’s story about being wowed by his wife’s toy collection. My hubby and I had the exact same experience when we first met. Our combined toy collection is a power to behold.

7. Jorge Burgos says:

the app isnt availible at all i checked it isnt in the droid market and cant make a account, whats going to happen?

8. Drew Hulsey says:

Hey Nerdist listeners I don’t know if it was on this podcast or not but recently Chris mentioned a documentary about people being watched in NYC for there 15 minutes of fame or something of that effect, just wondering what it was…thanks guys

9. K2TheM says:

Hey Nerdist Crew! I know it would add some extra work on your end to get set up, but would it be possible to set up a “link dump” to go along with your Podcasts?

That aside. It was great to hear Seth Green on the Podcast. It was also refreshing to hear him talk about Star Wars, and George Lucas (in regards to the “first” three movies) in a non-negative light. It was a pity you guys didn’t get into his role in Mass Effect, but maybe this means he’ll be on The Indoor Kids soon???

10. JetpackBlues says:

Maybe Topher can release his Prequel cut on or something?

An Episode IV fan edit by ‘Adywan’ called Star Wars: Revisited is an AWESOME cut. I may watch it tonight!

11. LevelledUp says:

Fun interview. He’ll always be Scott Evil to me. Hopefully Mike will make a new Powers or Dr Evil trilogy.

12. Mick says:

And which movie unseats “white battle royale” for the #1 spot? The Steve Harvey one.

13. Mick says:

And which movie unseats “white battle royale” for the #1 spit? The Steve Harvey one.

14. Martha says:

I always thought of Chris as a Hufflepuff… I guess I’ve never thought of performers being Ravenclaw. I’ve always felt that Ravenclaws are the people who are introverted, removed, and observant. I feel like most people who are adventurous and ambitious enough to perform (and those who are sociable enough to succeed) aren’t Ravenclaws.
    Being nerdy isn’t a sign of being a Ravenclaw, because plenty of un-intelligent (not Ravenclaw), sociable (Hufflepuff), ambitious (Slytherin), and adventurous (Gryffindor) people are nerds. Ravenclaws are marked by their sagely attitude, keen wit, and critical eye as well as their accumulation of and affection for information.
    That’s just how I feel though, and I could be totally wrong since I don’t actually know Chris and am basing this assessment on his podcast persona.

This comment is really long. oops!

15. Charlie Conner says:

loved your podcast with Seth Green…although the opposite version of Ryan Seacrest is NOT Steve Harvey. That would be Byron Allen (of Real People fame)…seriously, that man has something like 30 shows on the air right now in syndication! Comics Unleashed…Who Wants to Date a Comedian…America’s Court with Jedge Ross…Made in Hollywood…just about every other syndicated show out there has Bryon Allen’s affable hands all over it…

Wait…maybe you guys ARE right…how could I not see it…the *obvious* doppelganger of Byron Allen would be…none other than…one CHRISTOPHER HARDWICK!

16. EJ says:

Not being on Twitter has nothing to do with being tech savvy. It makes sense for people with something to promote to be on twitter. But some people who are tech savvy don’t need to promote them selves in the same way as actors and comedians.

It leaves a bad taste in my mouth then when statements like this are made by those who sell brands on twitter. I get it, I listen to the podcast for free. And I may encounter ads both in downloading the podcast and in listening to it. But don’t insult me because I chose not to connect to twitter which has become mostly a giant echo chamber but in the best case scenarios a new means to advertise.

I am overwhelmed with ads on a daily basis. I don’t need a new medium for it. And I don’t lose anything. I think nerdist is doing some really interesting things. I like taking content production out of the hands of the few. But remember, some of your listeners live a different life than you. We’re not all in a self referential meta LA scene. Some of us have different goals but enjoy the content you produce. Don’t insult us along the way.

17. Sylvia says:

OMG! Ravenclaw’s ARE DepecheMode fans. Awesome.

18. David Thompson says:

Seth Green peaked in “Can’t Buy Me Love”.

19. odin42 says:

Yessssssssssssss, I’ve been waiting for this since i started listening to the podcast. 2 of my favorite little nerds, together at last.

20. Dan says:

interesting discussion about your and Green’s successes. Also, don’t forget that fame can be a hindrance too. Like Will Smith that was mentioned turned downed The Matrix and Keanu Reeves took the role. But he hates when people call him Neo. maybe he’s just a douche, but when you’re an actor, famous or not, and get stuck as a caricature, it probably sucks too. Also, Keanu was in Parenthood, and I also got the reference before it was mentioned… bam! see what I did, full circle.

21. Burton says:

I worry about your bowling given what you said around the 1:04:00 mark. Be the skull, and consider the following:

“When an archer is shooting for nothing, he has all his skill. If he shoots for a brass buckle, he is already nervous. If he shoots for a prize of gold, he goes blind He sees two targets, and he is out of his mind His skill has not changed. But the prize divides him He cares He thinks more of winning than of shooting And the need to win drains him of power – Chuang Tzu (300 BC)

i have a idea, please tell me if youve heard of it before

heres the pitch its a cross between mad men and the office, ,essentially the premise boils down to jesus as a traveling door to door salesman during biblical times, eg itll involve sales training with his disciples,award nights,bonding exercises, pitch mechanics, the interpersonal lives of everybody involved etc
    at the moment im thinking about animating it and posting the show on youtube PODCAST AUDIENCE CAN YOU PLEASE LEAVE ME SOME FEEDBACK ON THE BASIC PREMISE,
    here or at my

youtube channel niizuma21

23. J.Smith says:

Please…bring him back soon. The single hour was not enough.

24. Kellie says:

whaaaa?!?! Two of my celebrity boyfriends in one room!!!!! Gah… I cannot breathe. I might have just passed out…. Thank you Nerdist… This one makes me uber happy.

25. Tzvi says:

my nerdy 2 cents on the subject of work/play.

Work is, if we extrapullate from physics, a product of times the distance through the amount of distance with witch it acts. Before any one tries to seperate physical work vs our ‘jobs’ recognize that on a fundamental level all behavior of all animals is the ability to rapidly change its position in relation to its environment. While it may seem to us to be very minute changes this includes psychological behavior. By this understanding we can label behavior as work.

So what is play? That is a little more complex, but we can say in short that Play is behavior (which is work) that has an immediate internal reward beyond the products of that behavior. So while picking apples may be rewarding, play may be considered the joy of learning to climb the tree to get to the apples.

So why have play? well I would argue that it is crucial to the acquisition of new behaviors, or learning. If learning was simply a means to the immediate product, say the apple, there would be no need for an internal reward system. The apple should be sufficient. However, if say we had to have a behavior that reinforced the rapid adaption to new behaviors, a system which gave us internal reward even when no material product came along with it, would be required. This the case with people.

So we can say, Play is Work that rewards us internally.

And in fact I would argue that the unnatural state is actually Work without Play, which is a product of the social agreements we have arrived at presently, and perhaps a major reason for there instability.

Anyways those are just my thoughts, i’ve heard yall bring the subject up a few times, and the neurotic nerd in me just had to say it, so i could get it out of my brain.

26. Drew says:

Ravin’ Claw !

27. Dave says:

Gotta have him back to talk about Mass Effect!

28. Jake says:

@tiffany, there is no such thing as too many exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Especially with Seth Green finally being on the podcast!

29. Tiffany says:

I am so excited that this has finally happened! I haven’t had the opportunity to listen yet, because of stupid work! I am squee-ing internally though!
    I just realized a used a lot of explanation points in this comment. I apologize I am just a little too excited.

30. Jake says:

God I love Seth Green! He is a little confused about the Buffy thing though. The first episode he was in was season 2 episode 4 titled Inca Mummy Girl. If people are watching Buffy just to see Seth, start with season 2, though I would recommend watching from the beginning because it is AWESOME SAUCE!!!

31. Antaria says:

Wow, a sudden urge to re-watch last s1 Buffy episodes and whole 2 and 3 season.

32. Matt says:

Do they talk about his role in Mass Effect? Can someone give me the exact time when they do? Would love to hear what they think about it.

33. Michelle says:

“Firstie”, thanks for the podcast. I loves me the Seth Green. “Radio Days” is one of my absolute fav movies. And secondly, every time you talk about your dad, I feel your pain. My mom is 70 and REFUSES to do email. She always comes back with, “if i wanna write to someone i’ll just use paper and a pencil”. Ugh. Frustrating.

34. @thefretboard says:

Anyone else having trouble finding the Showdogg app mentioned in this ep?

35. anncoultersadamsapple says:

Please have on Topher Grace. He sounds like a cool guy.