Patrick Roadhouse

Nerdist Podcast: Patrick Roadhouse

Another fun filled hostful episode! Matt got a new guitar and plays some songs, Jonah and Chris sing along, and Jonah talks about a recent movie he saw!

artist credit: Jeff Jenkins: site I vimeo

Comments

1. Kels Curl says:

I want to hug Jonah so badly! I don’t get why people don’t like him.

2. Sawney Bean says:

Mira! Stop wasting your money on guitars!

3. Brian B says:

I love the hostfuls and I hope that all the negativity that some people are using doesn’t discourage Chris, Matt, and Jonah from doing them. I personally love Jonah and i hope that he doesn’t let people get him down. I tell my wife all the time that I wish I had the music knowledge that he posses. So Jonah let it be known you have a fan in me. Also, I agree John carter was disappointing. But that’s just me. Keep up the goodness sirs.

4. Josh says:

@Doc You nailed it in terms of explaining my “barrel” post. Also, I was probably piling on a bit there, @Andrew. Sorry about that!

5. @Andrew
    I’ve already said that your point had validity. I agree that it’s possible that some people, Chris included, may not have given the movie a fair shot before passing judgment on it. My problem wasn’t with your point, but rather with how you chose to express it.

Regardless of how many times somebody on the Nerdist Podcast has expressed an opinion, negative or positive, on any creative project I’d bet all the cash in my pockets against all the cash in yours that you haven’t really given much of a crap whether or not they gave it a fair shot before passing judgment. But in this particular case it just so happened that a movie that you clearly like a great deal was the target of the judgment and rather than simply attempting to make your point from one equal person to another you jumped on a sanctimonious soap box and started finger wagging as if you were morally superior. I think you’ll find that that’s usually an ineffective way to communicate as superiority (moral and otherwise) generally works better as a platform if it’s something conceded by others rather than something that’s claimed for oneself.

I believe that, with the barrel thing, @Josh was saying (please correct me if I’m wrong, sir) that he found it odd that you were so morally outraged by Chris’ judgment of this movie that you were willing to jump up and attempt to call him out as a hypocrite over it, and that there are probably more appropriate things than movies to get pissed off over, and more appropriate people than Chris Hardwick to call out as hypocrites.

I agree with Josh in that you seem like a cool guy; I was just a little irritated with the tone you took with your first post. You’re either going to take this to heart or you’ll think I’m an idiot, I guess. ;)

6. John Schneider says:

Hey guys, finally got around to listening to this. I’m also from Fargo, not sure if I know the guys you met, I’m asking around, but as for the vodka, it’s called UV Cake.

And you’re right, it tastes EXACTLY like birthday cake.

7. Josh says:

@Andrew Great response, man! And no worries about all the responses to you — it’s happened to me before too, where I’ve said something on one of these comment threads that brought on a bunch of “@Josh”s. No matter what, I feel like everyone who posts on these comment threads should get props for just putting themselves out there. I know it’s anonymous and all, but opening ourselves up to ridicule is opening ourselves up to ridicule. And YOU get extra kudos for posting again. AND even more kudos for posting in a non-snarky, hey-wait-a-minute-this-is-what-I-was-trying-to-say kind of way! You must be an awesome dude to know in person!

I think I understand better what you were trying to say. It’s like, art is art, and if someone puts themselves in a scenario DESIGNED to ridicule a piece of art without first seeing that piece outside of that scenario, it isn’t fair. I’m not sure if @Chris Hardwick had seen John Carter prior to that comedy show, but I think I get your point. You probably just came across as more passionate and/or offended by the issue than you meant to. I read you post and was sort of like, “Really? They make fun of almost everything at Nerdist and THIS is what pissed you off?”

Anyway, you seem like a cool dude, @Andrew! Just wanted to take a second (or a minute or two (c;) to affirm you! (c:

Oh, and also, our exchange inspired me to rent John Carter on demand and watch it a couple days ago. I’m sorry to admit that I fall within that group of people for whom that movie was not made. )c: But I did appreciate it as an incredible dreamscape!

8. Andrew says:

Ha! No. I’m not Andrew Stanton.

Look, my whole point was just that Chris made what appeared to be a sincere (and negative) value judgement on a movie that he’d viewed specifically for the purpose of humorously tearing said movie apart. I think it’s fair to say that if you go into a movie looking for everything you can that you might possibly be able to cleverly mock, you’re really not giving the movie a fair chance at all. If, in fact, Chris saw the movie ahead of time, give it a fair chance, decided it was worth public flogging, and then did Doug’s show, I could respect his negative value judgement. See, he wasn’t just “making fun” of the movie on this podcast – he was actually saying that it was an awful movie.
    I just think that’s lame, especially for guy who’s had so much to say about negativity on the internet and someone who purports to be a big supporter of other peoples’ creativity. Perhaps he only saw this as another Disney Corp.-manufactured overblown action movie and not as one man’s lifelong dream-project gone slightly awry. What I do know is that he watched the movie only to make fun of it. I think that approach might have skewed his view. Or else he just didn’t like it.

Sorry I’m not so great at summing up my points in a single witty quip like the rest of you guys. It seems like some of you think that taking a few minutes to write something instead of a few seconds is some sort of a massive overreaction.

@Doctor Quemmento – I wasn’t taking offense to people making fun of things that I like. Clearly, I enjoy the show and I’ve listened to just about every episode. I don’t mind making fun of things, even if I like them, and that has happened plenty with this show. What I mind is people passing actual value judgements on creative works to which they never gave any sort of a fair chance. There’s a difference between someone making a joke about a movie and saying that a movie was just a really bad movie.

Also, @Matt Grandis – thanks for understanding my point of view.

Also, @Josh – I don’t understand the barrel thing, but I don’t need to. I have a feeling that sort of post is just the way you are. : )

Anyway, I hope I didn’t come off as a jerk in my OP, since I was pretty surprised by the multiple responses my post got.

9. SlimCharles says:

Best episode of any podcast ever!

10. Emmasdad says:

Best. Hostful. Ever.

11. AlexTheBritishLlama says:

Hey guys, I loved this podcast – so much so that I’ve just bought my first guitar thanks to Matt’s example – so just wanted to say thanks!

12. Patty Marvel says:

@Josh – You make me laugh, too! Seriously, I’d love to meet ya’ll in person someday, just please don’t be surprised if I don’t talk much. I’m much more shy in person.

13. chris says:

Will a Kickstarter make the studio version of “Matt Mira’s got vaginal dryness” a reality?

14. Josh says:

@Patty By “these guys” I meant “you guys” … just so we’re clear. All y’all hysterical peoples!

15. Patty Marvel says:

In case anyone wants to hear “The Bear Song” Jonah mentioned, I just played in on my show. Here’s the link: http://wruw-stream.wruw.org/archives/56/49.mp3 and the song appears about 40 minutes in, or about three songs after the first break (in between the Rush song and “Safety Dance”).

16. Josh says:

Yeah, me too @Patty. It’s like riffing on a writers panel with these guys! Such awesome senses of humor.

@Matt I hear they have a great kosher deli in Baconcheeseburg. Just a bunch of my fellow Jews, lookin’ sad. Why, God? Why did You have to make bacon cheeseburgers SO unkosher? Doubly unkosher with the bacon AND the cheese/meat combo! And no, the bacon and cheese combination doesn’t work like a double negative to make the bacon cheese burger kosher. I checked.

17. Patty Marvel says:

@Josh – How I relish these conversations!

18. Matt Grandis says:

If there’s a place called Baconcheeseburg, I’m so gonna move there.

19. Josh says:

@Doctor Quemmento, on the AV Club comment thread, with a candelabra.

@Matt you’re more than just a Hamburger! You’re like a double bacon cheeseburger with guacamole. Not that I’ve ever had one of those… To hell with those too cool for school frankfurters! They couldn’t hold a hotdog to your ketchup!

20. Matt Grandis says:

Doc, you make it sound like I wanted to plug my blog. Well, I never! This is an outrage! Tomorrow at dawn, Josh will be my second. I give you the choice of weapons, sir.

21. But, just for the sake of argument, let’s assume that I’m too lazy to go back to the Cara Santa Maria episode to find the link to said blog, Matt. What then?

*POOF*

22. Matt Grandis says:

A goddammit … “way too much MONEY for what obviously should have been a niche market movie”. Although maybe it was too much movie for the mass market as well.

I blame that long blog entry I just posted for not being able to proof-read anymore. HINT, HINT. Yeah, I’m ashamed of myself …

23. Matt Grandis says:

Josh, my man, everyone should take the Matt Grandis route. You should know that.

Seriously, I’m with you, Andrew. Not necessarily with you on your criticism of the criticism, but totally with you on the movie itself. I like it and I’ll get the Blu-ray as soon as it’s available here. Can’t wait to see it again. It was a classic, old school adventure movie of the kind we just don’t get to see anymore. And I desperately miss those kind of movies. I agree with you that Disney fucked the movie up big time. Way too much movie for what obviously should have been a niche market movie. Of course they panicked and tried to go for the mass market. It could never have worked. It’s not the fault of the movie. I think Andrew Stanton did a really good job, and — wait a minute. ANDREW STANTON?!

24. Josh says:

@Doc. I like how Andrew’s “barrel” is John Carter and not, say, baby rape, for example. Still, he did make a good point. Lol #duality

25. Credit where credit’s due though: to say that the movie might have been more enjoyable when presented in a different setting was a fair point, Andrew.

26. @Andrew
    215 episodes of making fun of shit and now you have a problem? Funny how it’s all fun and games when someone else is the target, but when it’s your turn in the barrel, all of a sudden you get your nerves struck. It’s comedy, bro. Nobody’s safe and neither should they be. Calm down.

27. Patty Marvel says:

@Josh – LIKE! I’d still like to know how some folks have put their own photos beside their posts. What steps would I take to do this?

28. Josh says:

@Patty Yup! That sums it up. Also, I think we should name your monster pic “Susanna Hoffs”, mostly because she walks like an Egyptian.

29. Patty Marvel says:

@Andrew – I’ve never seen Doug Benson’s interruption show, but it sounds a bit like Mystery Science Theatre 3000 or Rifftrax (same guys, BTW). No, you wouldn’t go to one of these shows to watch the movie “straight” any more than you would go see “Rocky Horror” in a threatre and expect to catch all the dialog.

Here’s the thing – Doug Benson and Chris Hardwick and their peers are NOT riffing on a movie in a venue where people pay to watch it straight. That would be rude. The audience here is paying and entering a venue with the full knowledge that people will take the piss out of the film, just like anyone going to see “The Room” should (because, frankly, watching that celluloid turd without the MST3K treatment would be even more intolerable).

Heck, even GOOD movies can get the MST3K treatment. My all-time favorite is “Amadeus” and I could riff the shit out of some scenes. I just won’t do it if a friend comes over to watch it straight. The thing is, as long as no one is talking and snarking during a film in a traditional setting, then no harm has been done. If comedians make fun of the same film in an arena where it’s expected, that’s still not a problem – just don’t go there if that sort of thing offends you.

30. Josh says:

@Andrew You know, you could’ve just taken @Matt Grandis’ route and simply said, “Hey, I liked John Carter!” You’re point would still have come across, that it’s not uncool to like John Carter, and you wouldn’t have had to put @Chris Hardwick down for being a comedian, and doing what comedians do.

Apparently, there’s a little “Thatguyitis” going around.

31. MonsteronMapleSt says:

Jamie has always been one of my favorite Weezer songs. Good pick!!

32. MonsteronMapleSt says:

The song Jaime has always been one of my favorite Weezer songs. Good pick!!

33. Andrew says:

I liked John Carter a lot.
    I thought it was pretty great, but I like classic sci-fi.

Watching a movie with a bunch of snarky comedians whose goal it is to tear the movie apart, though presumably entertaining in it’s own right, is not a good way to experience ANY movie for the sake of appreciating the movie at all. This is not a terrible movie. This is a movie that was made for a niche market with WAY too high a budget.

Also, it wouldn’t have been nearly so much of a box-office failure if Disney hadn’t spent an insane amount of money – equal to the entire budget of the movie – to market the movie with a misguided, misrepresentative, and inadequate marketing campaign.

From what I’ve seen online, it seems like most people who know about or like the John Carter books really appreciated the movie.
    Especially female fans – who got a pretty excellent and respectable (and surprisingly not objectified) heroine out of Deja Thoris.

It’s way more than two and a half hours of walking through the desert.
    That’s a preposterous thing to say.

Think about that book you wrote (which I’ve read) and all the things you’ve talked about regarding the insensitivity and ignorance of all those people who tear apart and mock other creative people on the internet where responsibility is nil.
    Then look at a show like Benson’s that you go on for the sole purpose of watching a movie (that lots of people really liked and lots of creative people worked really hard on) and tearing it apart and mocking it.

Good job.

Clearly, you struck a nerve with me.
    You’re either going to take this to heart or think I’m an idiot, I guess.
    Anyway, that’s my two cents.

34. Tom Steele says:

When I saw the title, I thought why are they calling Patrick Rothfuss “Patrick Roadhouse.”

35. Josh says:

@Doc “Blue Eye Dick” is the name of my Billy Joel cover band. Me? I fear I’ll do some damage one fine day, but I would not be convicted by a jury of my bat-hippo peers. Still Swayze after all these years. Oh, still Swayze. Still Swayze. Still Swayze after all these years.

36. Patty Marvel says:

@Doctor Quemmento – Juxtapositions are FUNNY! Woot!

@Chris – What IS that noise-making gizmo you guys keep playing with? Is it an app on one of your phones or is it some piece of equipment that comes with the recording gear?

“Let’s go Swayze! Let’s get nuts!’ Hey, did you folks know today is Prince’s 54th birthday?

37. Chad H says:

Was I the only one who saw the title and thought “Who the hell is Patrick Roadhouse?”

as Tig would say Good One!

38. @Josh
    You may be right. I may be Swayze. But I just may be the blue eyedick you’re lookin’ for.

39. Jeff Whaley says:

I’m Swayze for trying, I’m Swayze for crying, and I’m Swayze for loving you

40. Ben Clarkson says:

Sing alongs rule.

I believe in Jonah Ray!

41. Josh says:

@Doc HAHAHAHAHA!!! My angry pink bat-hippo says to your horny one-eyed monster, “Why so blue?”

Medical note: If “angry pink bat-hippo” is a euphemism for anything in your life, it’s time to consult a physician.

42. Three Toes of Fury says:

Chris,

Sweet hezues was your song-riffing HILARIOUS. i vote for more hostfuls with Matt on guitar and you singing randomly.

Peace .n. “Swayzeee little thing called love”

3tof

43. Three Toes of Fury says:

“GOIN OFF THE RAILS ON A SWAYZE TRAIN!”

44. Thanks for being so familiar with my horny one-eyed monster, Josh.

45. Ha! Screaming rationalism. I love the contradiction there, Patty. :D

46. Another Kelly says:

This episode was great and I would also like to join the Jonah Love puppy pile. I’m staying up late to catch him on Conan – and I’m old!!!!