Nick Offerman

Nerdist Podcast: Nick Offerman

The amazing Nick Offerman sits down with Chris to talk about how the character of Ron Swanson came to be, starting his career in the theater, and what it means to be a man!

Get Somebody Up There Likes Me on VOD today!

Comments

1. Katie Rogers says:

The fact Nick Offerman has similar tone as Garrison Keillor and laughed like Krumm from Aaahh!!! Real Monsters makes everything about this podcast just warms my heart!

2. froyo11 says:

Well. I adore that laugh.

Nick’s a pretty cool guy. And his tips on how to be a man are applicable to anyone. I actually wrote them down my[female]self

3. My list of “Things to do when the zombie apocalypse comes ” just got a lot shorter:
    1. Put together survival kit
    2. Pack water purification system and high protein snacks
    3. Find Nick Offertman

4. Captain Lazy Pants says:

What was the name of the agrarian author from Kansas Nick mentioned? I am too lazy to listen to a third time.

5. StuartB says:

That laugh…

6. Amanda Z says:

I loved every second of this – can someone please make a text tone of Nick’s giggle?

7. Jack Creed says:

Poor Chloe, get better and for the record I love it when you’re in the intros.

8. Joe says:

I’ve been listening to the podcast for a long time now, but after the Nick Offerman episode I felt the need to post for the first time. Nicely done, I’m now a huge Nick Offerman fan and an even bigger fan of The Nerdist. Thanks!

9. Sarah says:

Anyone who liked this podcast should try to make it to his American Ham show. It’s smart, funny, filthy with that giggle and disparaging remarks about Jerry. Now that the Parks & Rec podcasts have begun (Nick, Ben Schwartz) I hope to soon hear Adam Scott, Chris Pratt, Amy Poehler and on and on…

10. Stacy says:

I would love to bottle up Nick Offerman’s laugh, attach a mustache to it and then swoon over it every evening.

11. Megan says:

omg! The giggle! Love it! And yes, consider my panties melted. Seriously need to find a guy like that! :-)

Thanks for entertaining us, Nerdist! Hope Sky Dart feels better soon.

12. Brock says:

There are a ton of re-uploads on YouTube. Here’s the official Somebody Up There Likes Me (Promo 2) video.

13. Sarah says:

Offerman looks like such a burly manly man but then he laughs his little evil genius snicker/giggle and it just cracks me up. XD the duplexity is so uncommon and under appreciated. Megan is a lucky lady!

14. Brysen says:

Would have been nice to have heard some chatter about Parks and Rec.

15. Tuk says:

When’s part II?

16. Jennifer says:

After listening to this podcast I love the guy even more… Hes a total stud…simple as that

17. Jarvis says:

Finally someone said it out loud. Being manly isn’t being stoic or ultra violent. It’s like Nick said it’s being polite, kind, true to yourself and others along with standing your ground when faced with adversity. Yeah you can crack skulls and have a glorious man beard but character, sincere character, gains you more in the long run. I’m glad Nick mentioned Atticus Finch one of my fictional role models now that’s manly guy. Nick Offerman is a classy fella. Seen some of his stuff and to know he such a calm, intelligent, cheerful person makes me like him even more. Good show guys.

18. Jose says:

Just came to see if you guys were going to promote InAPPropiate Comedy like you did Movie 43.

19. Eddy says:

Guys, we only have 22 more days to make it happen.

I know if every single listener of this podcast signs this petition we will still be like 20k people short so please get your friends and family to sign.

Guys? Anyone?

Alright fuck you all.

20. bastien says:

Everything Nick says is calm and patient.
    Every word is chosen deliberately and spoken in a way that is stately and elegant. Every sentence is like a zen axiom.

Which makes his goofy, childlike giggle–where his body simply cannot contain his giddy pleasure–all the more endearing.

21. MIA says:

YES! Ron F***ing Swanson. You just made my F***ing day.

If you’re going through the cast of Parks can we have Adam Scott on next please and thank you. Ben Wyatt is the ultimate nerd on tv right now, and the fact that he has yet to be on Nerdist is, let’s face it, a tragedy on par with human trafficking.

22. chris says:

Reason number 89 to love this guy: he giggles like Krusty the clown.

23. Jeremy M says:

Nick Offerman has discussed WWII battle tactics with Jason Schwartzman and this wasn’t recorded?!

24. Darren says:

When Chris mentions being a child of the mixtape era, I googled Offerman’s age only to find they’re a year apart.

It always tickles me when Chris gets weird about his age, which I’m not sure has ever been explicitly mentioned on the podcast. I live in London so I wonder if it’ll be a big part of his next hour?

25. Juliet says:

*recorded live in front of a 1980s studio audience* haha. Awesome episode with an awesome live laugh track!

26. Illusion-XIII says:

I knew I was going to enjoy this podcast the moment I saw Nick Offerman’s name on it, and it did not disappoint. The man is a class act in every way. I especially love the fact that he spent a good chunk of his time talking about his wife with such sincere admiration, rather than just spend the whole time talking about himself. For someone so talented and admired, he’s comes off with a great deal of humility (which only makes him even more admirable), and his definition of being a “real man” (which ultimately has little to do with being male at all) resonated perfectly, and just made me like this guy even more.

Oh, and Chris, I suspect the term you were looking for, instead of Journeyman, was “Renaissance Man”, which is defined as a cultured man who is knowledgable, educated, and proficient in a wide range of fields, especially the arts and humanities. I’d say Nick (actor, musician, craftsman, producer…) has that pretty well covered.

27. Patty Marvel says:

@Sarah V – Just heard back from one of my sources. Apparently, those chairs (or ones of similar design) have been used for childbirth. A lady just makes herself comfy, legs spread wide, and “front-poops” a baby through the hole. I assume there’s a pillow or a catcher’s mitt or some such thing below.

28. Mike says:

Nick Offerman sorta sounds like he’s doing a Patrick Bateman American Psycho voice at all times. But very interesting podcast.

29. JetpackBlues says:

After listening to this I can proudly say that Nick Offerman caused me to spontaneously enter puberty. I now have hair in places I didn’t even know I had!

Nick should be asked to guest write a tongue-in-cheek, Ron Swanson-esque series of posts on the blog Art of Manliness.

30. Ted says:

Why is it that Chris sometimes does one-on-one interviews on the podcast, but Matt and/or Jonah never do?

31. romtin says:

Fuck yeah! I love Nick Offerman. I got a chance to listen to him on the Kevin Pollak podcast. Obviously a really interesting manly man. Can’t wait to dive into this one on the way to school tomorrow. Thanks guys.

32. Sarah V says:

^ I’m on youtube way too much at night for various reasons as one is, when your are watching random makeup reviews and one of the titles to the right says VAGINA STEAM you become intrigued, should be the first listing under THESTYLISHVIDS…the spa’s site has the various types

33. Ron F***ing Swanson!

34. Patty Marvel says:

I’ve just spent the past half-hour Googling for the proper name of the “magic vagina chair” Nick Offerman made for someone. That’s a real thing, by the way – the woman sits over the hole in the chair so her lady bits can benefit from the incense / herbs / whatever burning and smouldering underneath. It’s basically a smoke douche. And there’s a proper name for that chair and I’m so determined to find out what it is (and maybe post an image of it here) that I’ve e-mailed the question to some pagans I know AND posted the query on Facebook. As soon as I get an answer, I’ll let you folks know…because we’re all dying to know, right.

Now drift off to sleep with the phrase “smoke douche” in your heads…

35. three toes of fury says:

no way im gonna be able to top @Josh’s comment….freaking Brilliant dude!

peace & facial hair

3ToF

36. Nick says:

Nick Offerpup! A little upset Jason Schwartzman wasn’t on as a unofficial cohost number 4 but the Talk about the viking funeral made this one of my favorite podcasts.

37. sydney says:

Whenever I think of Nick Offerman, the theme song from the bit he does on Conan plays in my head. The one where he reads tweets from young, female celebrities. That giggle of his is as cool as his mustache. Also, as a black lady who loves other ladies, thankyou, Nick, for being outspoken about treating people with respect.

38. Clay says:

Great one! Offerman is truly hilarious!

39. s1yfox says:

@josh*

40. s1yfox says:

@Joe this is great news, as I am incapable of growing beards. can’t wait to give this a full listen!

41. Josh says:

Weird. I started this podcast cleanly shaved and finished with a full beard.

42. Liam says:

There’s no way to describe how much i love ron swanson. so it was very interessting to listen to nick who appears to be the real life-ron, but with more modern views on things. and the way he laughs, adoreable!

43. JetpackBlues says:

Holy shit, Chloe had an Addadicktome?! 😯

44. Steve S says:

I also really liked that bit about “always having the mentality of a student”. Very cool way to look at life

45. Steve S says:

This is a fucking great podcast. That is all

46. His manly giggle makes the whole podcast worthwhile.

47. Mark Rajca says:

Just got to the intro. SKY DART NOOO!

48. KenM says:

Just seeing that this podcast exists has caused me to instantaneously grow a day’s worth of facial hair. I now must listen to it on my commute home after which I must build, carve, or remodel something.

49. Onno says:

Hey you got Nick Offerman?! Awesome! Knew that would happen after the Jason Schwartzman episode.

50. Greg says: