Neko Case

Nerdist Podcast: Neko Case

Neko Case had such a good time on the Nerdist, she didn’t want to leave! She and Matt find out they have a lot in common, and Neko talks about life on tour and her new album The Worse Things Get, The Harder I Fight, The Harder I fight, The More I Love You!

Get her new album here!

Comments

1. Scully says:

I was just bombing in to leave a message and then there was this bummer thread of comments at the top :-(

Anywhoo, I just wanted to say I am such a terrible nerd that I don’t always know who the guest is but I usually listen to them anyway. I was really impressed with Neko she seemed funny, interesting and kind. I found the stuff you guys talked about really relatable and it makes me want to find out more about Neko’s work. Thanks for another great podcast.

2. michelle says:

I lost it when she said “suck my dick”. i had been saying that for years. instantly i felt a connection to her. but i loved the relaxed atmosphere and almost “hostful” feel to this interview.
    Loved it!
    and i caught that Tangina quote that was so soft and talked over, “all are welcome”… thanks for that too. smiley kitty winky face.

3. CCBRENCE says:

My favorite thing at Disneyland was also the fireflys at the Blue Bayou Restaurant!! Great podcast and so enjoyable. Thanks everyone.

4. Jack Coffison says:

I am also a ball of unprecedented rage, fear and sadness… But I still managed to love this episode. And every other Nerdist podcast. I’m really looking forward to Katey Segal- and on another note, I would like to say that this years podcasts have been really awesome and charming. Thank you so much, Chris Hardwick, Jonah Ray, Matt Mira and Katie Levine.

5. stirwise says:

So Neko and Matt are totes fucking now, right? That sounded like some kind of love connection.

More seriously, though: great show. Haven’t laughed that hard in a while.

6. LJ says:

Ah. More positive reinforcement for negative commenters. It’s so silly for both parties.

7. NotMF says:

If you skip this podcast because she’s a musician you’re really missing out on a really funny conversation. She’s a more entertaining guest than some “big” celebrities. Also, I’m pretty sure Frasier is talked about more than music.

8. DandyJon says:

Neko Case is such an amazing singer/songwriter, she has a very awesome sense of humor, you guys need to have her back on the Podcast again!

9. Jaron says:

Love Neko Case. I’ve been a big fan since I first heard Fox Confessor. She is the only music act that when I tell someone to listen to the immediately become fans. One of my favorite voices.

Great podcast. She seems like a delight to hang out with. I’ve read interviews with her but have never heard her actually speak. It’s nice to know that she is down to earth. She is on my list of people I want to meet someday.

10. nevets says:

You guys touched on “dick audiences” in this show…

I’m really wanting to hear a hostful discussion of what happened with Dave Chappelle in Hartford. Or see if you can get Dave on the show to talk about it, eh?

11. Andy says:

Awesome interview. Neko Case is hilarious! I had no idea she was so funny. Who was the comedian she endorsed near the end? Daniel Kitten??

12. Frankie says:

@ChrisHardwick im so sorry dude my podcast audience is just like this bro but i get it !

13. Ty says:

To the people who shit on guests that they themselves don’t know of or have no interest in – you can eat all the proverbial dicks. I had no idea who Neko Case was before this ‘cast and now I need to find out all about her music. It turns out her music is so up my alley. And how can you not love a personality like that?

@Chris/@Matt
    You guys really shine when you have guests that aren’t just there to plug their shit only and you guys just shoot the shit together. *slow clap*

14. Beast! says:

This made my fucking day. Love this show and LOVE Neko, so this one was definitely exponetial wins. For those on the fence because they don’t know Neko or might not be into her music, fear not and cannonball in. You will be THOROUGHLY entertained regardless, I promise. SO hilarious. Definitely “Hostful”-esque and I hope the boys have her as a guest again. @Chris – make sure to try and get Neko’s pal Kelly Hogan on as well, with or without Neko. Equally talented and ridiculously funny as well. In fact, the Nerdist lineup would benefit greatly if you could get the two of them to do a regular ‘cast here. While they’re on tour they could get plenty of their famous fans to come on (Katey Sagall could be their first guest!), although their version of a “hostful” would cause me permanent bladder and brain damage.

I like boobies.

15. Eric C. says:

I lost it when Chis groaned, “Oh, that fucking gave me diarrhea.” Not only am I a sucker for puns, but diarrhea? Always funny.

16. Tanya says:

I keep meaning to listen to more or Neko’s music, and I appreciate the album recommendation from Chris before the interview.

I liked the interview, and it felt like Neko truly enjoyed herself and just really let down her guard for 99% of the interview! I kept thinking she is just rolling with it, letting loose, and it’s sort of a positive venting for her as well. I mean how many interviews does she get to do where she can just say whatever she wants, and not have to worry about slipping up and letting a four-letter word (or 20) fly?

Also, a friend of mine I met online about 3-4 years ago, was a big fan of Neko’s. He sadly passed away a few years ago of cancer, but I do believe he would have enjoyed listening to this interview!

17. amysrevenge says:

Jesus – how crazy was this one? Loved it. I could hear multiple times how surprised Matt and especially Chris were when all the random funnies happened.

(While my comedy tastes line up almost 1:1 with Mr. Hardwick, my music tastes definitely do not. However, when a musical guest is on and I don’t care for the episode, I quietly push stop, delete, and move on with my life. Like a grown-up.)

18. Elizabethbettybeth says:

I have heard Neko’s name for years…I haven’t heard her music yet but after listening to her talk with you guys…I LOVE HER! She is freaking hilarious and has a high degree of self comfort. Her ability to yes and with all of you was so fun. I sat here in my office laughing out loud annoying all of the unhappy cubefarm denizens with my glee!
    Thanks Chris for bringing on such a freaking cool chick! Music made by that mind totally has to be in my wheelhouse! I can’t wait to listen to it!

19. lookleftandsmile says:

I’d totally listen to a Frasier recap podcast by Matt

+++++++++++1

20. Three toes of Fury says:

@anncoultersadamapple…i was all set to agree with your inarguable stance that ALL musicians talking about their music “take themselves too seriously”. Its that kind of forward thinking and wide-spread generalization based on a category/identity which makes this country great. I was all set to boycot this podcast too.

But then i read Chris’ recent comment, the one where he says that Neko started in with the whole “musician taking herself seriously” talking about touring…but then ended up “making a baby with Matt Mira”. That kind of on-air-consumation warrants a listen.

And before you jump in with “Matt Mira has had sex, during the podcast, with the last 3 guests”, if you’ll go back and listen you’ll verify it was only the last 2…it was actually Jonah that slept with Hader.

Peace & Expanding the view of our captain and crew.

3ToF

21. Nichole says:

Chris – you sounds like Adam Sandler when you do that singing voice impression haha

22. Nichole says:

I really want to know who that cunt writer is now! ahhhh so crazy

23. massivRuss says:

AnnCoultersAdamsApple: “I’m a huge Radiohead fan [OMG, ‘nuf said!] but I could only make it through fifteen minutes of Thom Yorke’s WTF interview. ”
    Well, duh. That suicide-inducing navel-gazer with the painful rectal itch of a voice. Who would or could listen to an interview with Yorke? THAT’s the example that turns you off listening to musicians’ interviews?

And not for nuthin’, but WTF? Did Mark Marin need a reason to feel cheery and magical by comparison?

24. DEC12345 says:

Love Neko Case. Wish she would tour Houston more often.

25. Wildride says:

I think Dolly might be a Decoy except balls instead of tentacles.

26. This must be the 9th podcast i had no interest in hearing, and the 9th that made me happy i did ^^ BOOMER LIVES!

27. Wildride says:

It’s not easy being green. Seriously, what’s recyclable and what isn’t?

28. Wolvie says:

This was a great episode, thanks Nerdist. Neko is really funny, I mean, like, I was totally surprised this was a musical artist podcast. Like, she should probably just pop in every once in a while and describe making dicks with duct tape and meat to you guys every once in a while, I bet you crack up every time you hear that part Chris :D

29. tabby says:

completely on a different subject , i was wondering @chrishardwick if you will have anyone from ”we’re alive” on the podcast? i think it would be great! creator or cast members! …that is all,thanks for all kinds of free awesome

30. David H says:

I loved this episode – I’ve liked Neko Case’s music for ages, but had never really chased down interviews with her, but this was one of the best Nerdists in the category of non-Hostful/non-friends of the hosts.

Matt giving shit to Chris about not being able to come up with some ‘generic standup’ was just the laugh I needed first thing this morning.

31. Rebecca says:

Musician episodes are always 50/50 for me because you either get someone who solely talks about music (and I’m not really interested in the in-depth stuff) or you get someone who’s willing to talk about anything and is pretty funny while doing it.

Case in point, Rogue Wave and The National were just ok and Gerard Way and Neko Case were great because you got a sense of who they were beyond the music. I would definitely listen to Neko again because it sounded a whole lot like a Hostful (which we’re overdue for, btw).

32. Paige says:

Fantastic podcast. Listened to this and CBB on the same day. Now I just want Neko to do Todd’s show too.

33. MonarchHench says:

I don’t know Neko Case in the slightest…but I cannot wait to listen!

34. Patty Marvel says:

HEY! I’ve followed her on Twitter for months now! Nice to see that she’s on the podcast! Feels a teeny bit like someone I’ve known (of) for ages “making it.”

Should I get to this today or listen to the three week backlog of episodes in order first? I feel like if I do the former, I might miss out on an inside joke or some such thing.

35. JetpackBlues says:

And this will be the third podcast thread that I’ll skip posting in due to the string of super-douchery around here lately. Although Chris has been knocking down the troll-bowl 7/10 split with aplomb.

Wait, did I just type that out loud?

Time to listen, enjoy, and repeat on Wednesday.

36. Albinoverse says:

Matt Mira and Neko Case…FOR LIFE!! Chris gets matchmaker credit

37. AnnCoultersAdamsApple says:

@ChrisHardwick, I forgive you.

Also, I miss Nick. You should invite him out for a hostful or give him his own episode.

38. @Ann: Fair enough if you hate listening to bands talk about their work, but I genuinely do think she was hilarious. There was a bit of “what touring is like” chat but it always quickly turned into “stomping on dickhead people’s faces” and “making a baby with Matt Mira” talk. From my point of view, she has a stand-up’s brain. Enjoy! Or don’t! I’m not the boss of you.

39. Kristoffer says:

@ChrisHardwick i laughed at tracing the evolution of “no rage” to “rage”.

@AnnCoultersAdamsApple you’re entitled to your opinion but it was a great interview, just like the nationalist and maria menounos episodes. What is your end game of posting negative comments? Are you trying to influence who are the guests or…?

40. AnnCoultersAdamsApple says:

I like Neko Case, I just hate listening to musicians talk about their music. They usually take themselves very seriously.

I’m a huge Radiohead fan but I could only make it through fifteen minutes of Thom Yorke’s WTF interview.

I still think this interview is going to be alot of her talking monotonously about artist pain and “the state of music” like most singer interviews I’ve listened to, but if you swear she’s funny I’ll give it a chance.

Plus there was no new Harmontown today so it’s either Neko Case on this or Neko Case on Comedy Bang Bang and I can’t work in silence.

41. Ravelle says:

I listen to episodes with people I’ve never heard about and go in without any expectations, It’s always a surprise to learn about these people, enjoy a hilarious podcast and at the end introduces me to something new, may it be new music, television shows or whatever.

42. Ah, the return of @AnnCoutlersAdamsApple…

No rage reply! But skipping just because you don’t know the artist is silly. Neko was fantastic on this ep. IMO, if you skip it just to be contrary you’re only robbing yourself of good times with an hilarious woman. Try new things! Step outside your comfort zone! That’s how you expand your palette. Why would you want to stay safely in your own content cave, like a frightened mouse? It’s actually my least favorite thing about our recommendation engine culture. Ok, great–here are things I would probably already like. But how do I expand my sphere of experience and break into new territories? And if I do, might I actually–GASP–learn something new about myself?!

Just know that we all tease you for comments like that not because we care whether or not you listen but because to go out of your way to make such a demonstrative statement over such a low impact thing just comes off as kind of wienerly. Yeah, I said it–WIENERLY. And I’m gonna KEEP saying it because it’s a FUN WORD. (wienerly)

Hey I know! Since you pretty much complain whenever you post, why not just skip all of them from here on out? I’m sure there’s some gaming forum somewhere you’d fit nicely into.

Btw, your commitment to anarchy is ironically safe. You are the most frightened mouse of all!!!

grr. rage. grr again.
    ch

43. Nate says:

YES! I love Neko Case, and totally didn’t expect to see her pop up here. Well done guys. KT soon?

44. Kristoffer says:

I think after the last guy shitted on a band episode in the comments section that people are now fishing for a Hardwick rage reply??

45. Tuga says:

@AnnCoultersAdamsApple You don’t have to listen to them. You also don’t need to comment on how these people who work for you for free keep disapointing YOU, the BASTARDS!!!
    Btw, i skipped the last one, and thought the Maria Menounos interview was just ok, but this one? Really happy to have clicked on it ( i’m in at 15:00 now ). This one is a keeper.

46. Brian says:

Just not interested for the last few. Still love you, Hardwick.

47. Sam says:

Perfect timing… Was about to rage because I was out of podcasts to listen to.

48. Frankie says:

@AnnCoultersAdamsApple damn dude really? you can’t just listen to a podcast and enjoy it? sometimes i just have em on during my job as background noise even if it’s one i don’t care for. so give it a chance and don’t always feel compelled to be a dink on the comments

49. AnnCoultersAdamsApple says:

This is the third Nerdist episode in a row that I will be skipping.

You rolled a turkey!!!

50. Kristoffer says:

What a great interview! I’d totally listen to a Frasier recap podcast by Matt, get other celebs who love frasier in to watch an ep and discuss it. lol