Neil deGrasse Tyson returns…

Nerdist Podcast: Neil deGrasse Tyson Returns!

The amazing and brilliant Neil deGrasse Tyson returns to the podcast to talk about his new show on the Nerdist Channel! He enlightens us even more about current astronomy news and talks to Chris about the reality of Star Trek. Also, stay tuned for a special Halloween ghost story from Liam Lynch at the end!

Subscribe to our YouTube channel and watch Star Talk, starting tomorrow!

Click on the banner to shop at Amazon.com and support the show!

Comments

1. Always a joy to hear NdGT, but was confused about the ghost story. Mr. Lynch was told about a ghost who walked through a wall, then he learned there was a secret door in that wall, and he still believes it was a ghost who walked through the wall? I wonder if it was intentional to have such contrast of critical thinking between the two segments or was it just happenstance. I was, honestly, waiting for the punchline at the end of the story. In my opinion this story needs a skeptical retort. Hope this comes off as constructive criticism, keep up the good work.

2. Camber Greber says:

Loved the Interview.

Hated the ShoeHorned in Story at end.

3. Leah says:

OK so I’m a couple days behind quemmenting but I’m still without power so the podcasts are hard to get at. #bitchhurricane

GREAT PODCAST! I love me some NdGT. That guy is too smart for life and it’s awesome.

Also anyone interested in the science vs magic/religion thing should read Arthur C Clarke’s short story called “The Star.” Because your mind will = blown.

4. Willy Best says:

This episode epitomizes the wonderful randomness of this show: a return interview with NdGT, a really awesome ghost story (who cares it is real or not, it’s a great story), and an uncomfortable incest joke at the beginning! Creepy and perfect!

5. Rob s. says:

Chris open the door on the “Dad” thing when he sent her to her room.

6. Callum Simms says:

Latin did the same thing for me. And Neil has very good points on general enlightenment as opposed to indoctrination.

7. natew says:

“Seduced by ignorance” – is not the man our ambassador into the future? Bring it on Tyson!

8. Todd says:

I agree with Pickles. I don’t believe that ghost story for a second, but it’s still a fun story.

9. RedNightmare says:

Hi there, long time listener, first time caller.
    When Neil talked about how he loves the questions he doesn’t know the answers to, I couldn’t help but be reminded of this comic: http://www.kiriakakis.net/aday.html
    I always return to read that once in a while, just to let it run around in my brain for awhile.
    Also, Liam’s story was really cool and creepy

10. TYLER says:

Holy crap, can we please get a paranormal podcast going on here? That was so great.

11. Walter says:

Chris: Thanks! I’ll have to check out more of his stuff.

12. Pickles says:

Fun little ghost story, but as someone who doesn’t believe in god or ghosts or Santa Claus, I just have to rationalize that he either made it all up, or at one point was having hallucinations. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t fun though!

13. Walter: knowing Liam he probably wrote and recorded it himself!

14. Nilknarf & Alex: I love you both for your comments! Let’s get some more science up in this shit!!!

15. Daniel says:

My heart is beating from that story holy moly that was creepy

16. Nilknarf says:

Alex: I think he was specifically referring to our oropharynx and the larynx below it, sharing both alimentary and respiratory input, hence unfortunate visits from count choke-ula are always a possibility.

Agreed on other examples. I like ovarian follicle rupture and ectopic pregnancy as an example of dangerously bad design.

17. Katie says:

I was SO pleased to see Liam’s ghost story, he was one of the most interesting guys on the podcast so far and the story was great! What was not so great was me finding this out late night Halloween when I just HAD to listen and be spooked.

18. Alex says:

Biology nerd here… I feel compelled to defend the design of the human body. The reason we have so few holes is because virtually all pathogens enter the body through these holes. The more holes you have, the more gates in your castle your body has to garrison. And humans do in fact have blowholes, they are called nostrils!

I’m not sure if Neil is just joking when he uses this as an example of unintelligent design or if he really doesn’t know, but it kind of bugs me when he does, and I’ve heard him use that example multiple times. There are plenty of better real examples of bad design in humans, such as the preponderance of back problems caused by the fact that we are still adjusting evolutionarily to the transition to walking upright. Or the idea of DNA mutation at all, if intelligent design is true that means God made it so DNA mutates every once in a while and that mutation is 99% of the time bad news for that cell/organism. By rejecting natural selection, you make God into a complete asshole. By accepting it, you can say it is one of God’s sculpting tools.

19. filthy says:

I just put my son to bed and we were talking about the solar system. It struck me that he’s going to be in the first generation to be taught that there are 8 planets not 9. That was a little mind bendy.

20. Jonathan says:

Nerdist should have this on their youtube channel. In the celebrity ghost story style.

21. Matt Grandis says:

Now that’s just fishing for compliments, JetpackBlues.

22. JetpackBlues says:

@Matt: Yea, no shit. Especially considering you found ME in your inbox….

23. Wallrod says:

I’m staying in Liverpool right now… i’m very curious as to what graveyard/flat Liam was talking about. That sounds like an awesome place to visit.

24. Matt Grandis says:

Pat, nude pics of Shatner will probably be the least of your worries … my website gets spammed to shit out of it since I linked it here first.

25. Walter says:

I’d like to know what the music was that played over Liam’s ghost story. I know it’s probably just stock music from somewhere, but I need to know. These things drive me nuts until I find out.

26. Nilknarf says:

The juxtaposition of NdG and guh guh ghosts = pretty amusing.

27. Juliet Paulson says:

Are You Afraid of the Dark, podcast edish! Passes the time absurdly fast! Any more would be awesome. Thanks for the great episode!

28. Matt Grandis says:

Now that was relevant to my interests.

@Joseph Finn: Nope, it’s because Edison was an elephant cooking dick.

29. Joseph Finn says:

The Edison/Steve Jobs discussion reminds me of how hept up certain people get over Edison as contrasted to Nikolai Telsa. I do think part of it has to do with people assuming that a genius has to be someone working alone and getting flashes of insight, rather than working with many people to pool their resources and figure out the science that way.

30. JetpackBlues says:

“Half Haloweenie” = my new one-man holiday song cover band.

“Creepy-ween” Push th’ Little Zombies and make ‘em come up! :-D

@Patty Marvel: Oil of Olay isn’t the bottle you need to run for, my dear. Alcohol will preserve you better. ;-)

BTW, haven’t seen that e-mail yet.

Saw this Gersberms parody today, laughed, and figured some folks here would get it: http://goo.gl/d21e5

Coincidentally, the Gersberms episode contained a 99 Problems string of posts. http://goo.gl/4Q9CY Callback!

Why did Chris’ Will Hunting impression sound like a Bostonian version of Nasty Canasta?

• Patty Marvel says:

Well, SHOOT! I may have typed in your e-mail wrong or some such thing. Mine is p_marvel@yahoo.com * , so contact me there. Mainly, I need your snail-mail address.

*Yes, I know I’ve just published my personal e-mail in a public space. I trust you lot NOT to e-mail me pics of a naked William Shatner or some such thing.

31. Taylor Mansfield says:

Is it just me, or was the ghost story a lot less scary after listening to Neil Tyson talk about asking questions and thinking critically for an hour?

32. I loved this episode. I could list to Neil deGrasse Tyson talk forever.
    Liam’s story at the end was perfect!

After 18, age is nothing but a number.
    Di’s tips for staying young:
    1)It takes just as much energy to be miserable as it does to be happy. So choose happy. Happy keeps you young.
    2) Never stop seeking knowledge.
    3) The universe is an amazing place. It helps to remember that when life seems to weigh heavy upon your shoulders.
    4) When trying to make positive changes in your life, a wise person once said “The most important thing is consistency.” It might have been Foucault or Sartre. ;-)

Happy NaNoWriMo!

33. scotty says:

it makes me happy that Chris kobayashi maru’d the rubik’s cube. totally valid win. well done.

34. Taryn says:

Loved it! I always love anything with Neil, and the ghost story was really awesome! I got so freaked out at the thought of someone knocking on my bedroom door in the middle of the night!!!

35. Stacy says:

If I ever feel like I will never understand, or if I ever say to myself “what’s the point?!?” I think I’ll load up this specific recording and play it. Neil is so inspirational!

36. Kevin says:

And Chris cannily sneaks in a Kids In The Hall reference that I often work into conversations whenever I can. Yay, Scott Thompson!

37. Ciara says:

I’m half way through that ghost story…and it’s taken me about 30 minutes to get this far.

I keep pausing it to compose myself …. sitting in a bright busy office in Ireland so probably best I don’t let out a frightened yelp!

Thanks guys! I won’t sleep right for a week!

38. Matt Apodaca says:

I can listen to Mr Tyson talk forever. He is such an entertaining guest.

Good god, that Liam Lynch ghost story frightened the fuck out of me.

39. Phil says:

I’m sending apologies from the future out of fear thus will double post. But, man, sorry for the typo diarrhea above. Phone typing is like an itchy anus–annoying.

40. Alec says:

I really enjoy listening to Mr Tyson talk about sciencey things, but the Star Talk podcast feels like it’s aimed at a more general audience than Nerdist stuff is. I feel like I’m coming off as snooty, but what I’m hoping is that his show can can be unabashedly nerdy in the way the other show isn’t.

• Patty Marvel says:

Hey, Alec! I’m a nerd, but I shamefully admit science isn’t my strongest subject and I enjoy Tyson’s “Nova NOW” series precisely because he explains concepts in a way I can follow. Think of it this way…maybe NdT’s method of teaching will help create future nerdlings?

41. Phil says:

So this is the reason there hasn’t been many Star Talk podcsts lately. Maybe you can twist arm and allow Neil to repost that Science of Star Trek episode.

42. martin says:

Liam Lynch story was cool and creepy…but I probably shouldn’t have listen to it during the middle of the night.

43. Vincent S says:

Holy Toledo! This guys just can’t stop being awesome and it’s just not all science too. :D!

Great job Chris on another great interview. Kinda missed Matt throwing lots of jokes in but, from the looks of it, this was solely a Nerdist TV>Nerdist podcast>Nerdist youtube channel 30-40 minutes of fun.

Even though I don’t believe in ghosts, that story by Liam got better and better as he went on. It’s one of those eye opening stuff because the Masons HAVE to have a meeting place right? where it is, we non-members don’t have a clue but a mention of underground passages are just cool. @_@

44. Curtis says:

Hahaha I’m older than Chloe by about 5 months! That means she graduated high school the year after me! Wow, I have accomplished nothing in my life.

Second note – NdT is always awesome. Now I’ll just cross my fingers for ZB on Friday.

45. That should be 3:00…

46. Around 3:30: Commence pants soiling due to laughing fit.

47. debbie says:

green tea kit kats rule. so delicious.

48. Patty Marvel says:

AAAAAAAAAAAnd I just learned Chloe was born the year AFTER I graduated from high school. No, I’m not feeling old at all [RUNS FOR BOTTLE OF OIL OF OLAY].

49. Xeroz says:

@ Chris Hardwick
    Great choice picking Neil deGrasse Tyson to host a show on space.
    He’s one of those few ppl with such natural charisma, that he can make learning about new things fun, even to grown-ups. And, you never feel like he’s talking down to you.

Anyway,
    Are we going to be able to send in questions that may have a chance of getting answered on the upcoming show? Even if you can’t say where they’ll need to be sent to. A little yes/no/maybe, perhaps?

50. Steve From Accounting says:

Oh, hello halloween treat for my auditory candy baskets.
    1. Wear a costume