Nerdist Podcast: Mike Mignola
Mike Mignola

Nerdist Podcast: Mike Mignola

Mike Mignola talks with Chris on creating the comic book Hellboy, the process of writing the storyline for comic books over time, working with Guillermo Del Toro, and the 20th anniversary of the series!

1. ian says:

Amazing podcast. I listened to this 3 times now and probably will again. I also ordered my first Hellboy book. I went with Vol 2 Library Edition. I figured he was still working out the kinks in Vol 1.

2. Kevy Metal says:

Hearing Mike Mignola say “dry-as-shit history lesson” kind of made my day

3. Darra Harris says:

Ahh the conversation moves to comic book destruction so there must be a Detroit is crap and unlivable reference right? Yep. Ugh.

4. Daniel says:

I freaked when I saw this in my podcast feed. I can’t wait to listen.

5. Mignolaverse says:

Just a fantastic podcast with an absolute comic legend. Laid back, relaxed and fun. Great listen.

6. Alex B says:

OK Hardwick, you just gave me the fire to make it in comedy so I can one day be a guest here and address that Detroit comment!

7. CAFcomics says:

A legendary creator with some ridiculous insights… Great guest, great show.

I’m off to draw pictures now.

8. Thank you for this episode. It was a terrific interview. Might you possibly be able to interview Mike Allred in the future (the creator of Madman and one of Mr. Mignola’s fellow “Legend” creators from the 90s Darkhorse days, and the current artist for Marvel’s Silver Surfer)?

9. Suzanne Lucero says:

Never a dull moment on this podcast. (An autopsy scene in the HOBBIT? I nearly choked on my coffee.) Mike has so many great stories about–and info on–the creative process, I think I’ll grab this episode and put it on my mp3 so I can listen to it over and over. The interesting thing is, what he has to say about storylines is as valid for novelists as writers in any other field. Great stuff.

10. Christopher says:

Jeff Lemire was posted early on in the episode. If you get an interview with him I would be soooo happy. For those of you who aren’t reading comics, you’re missing out. Lemire is responsible for so many fantastic series. Again, get Mr. Lemire on the podcast. It would be excellent.

11. Florin Fecioru says:

Awesomesauce! Can never get tired of hearing the creator of favorite good-guy-demon talk. And for the work that he does and everything that he did up to now, he’s a bit too modest.

12. Rebecca says:

Maybe earlier in the day but there’s always a new episode every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. From time to time, they do release an extra episode depending on the timing of a project a person is promoting so it’s nice to savor those kinds of episodes. The Crispin Glover episode was released on my birthday, which was a Thursday, so that was super nice.

Chris, will you ever have Blaine Capatch on the show? I only know him from @midnight and Beat the Geeks but he’s great and I know you love him so it would be cool to hear him riff with you guys for an hour.

13. Darra Harris says:

Well bite my butt and call me an apple I didn’t see this coming. I guess I have no choice but to listen to the podcast. Also is it me or does it seem that newer episodes are coming out more often now. I’m not complaining just noticing.