Michael Emerson

Nerdist Podcast: Michael Emerson

Michael Emerson endures much LOST-nerding from Chris and Jonah. The conversation drifts into intense character acting, potentially casting Michael as a sentient house, and fond Hawaiian memories.

Person Of Interest has its season finale on CBS Thursday May 17th at 9/8c!

Comments

1. TeamFinch says:

Thanks for uploading, made my day.

2. Fantastic interview. He comes across as the type of person you’d want to have a dinner party with.

I would love to see his illustrative work.

3. Michael has rare integrity and ability to immerse himself in a character. I wish he had a more sympathetic DP in Person of Interest. In LOST he was lighted to be much more handsome!

Person of Interest has been super for me, I think the most intelligent, coherent and creative offspring of the writers of LOST. By gosh, it’s almost about something actual and real in our lives.

4. anon says:

That was a good interview.

“Kids will make you tender; Dogs will make you tender.”

Not the kids and dogs I’ve come across. I used to feel more tender towards people and dogs, but after years of being bullied by children and chased down the street by people’s barking dogs, I’m not too fond of them, anymore.

I suppose I’d feel differently if I’d lived around upper class people who’d taught their children to not be rude to people and bothered to spend money to train their dogs not to bark and chase people.

5. Michael says:

Brilliante magnifico.

6. Lydia says:

Man, do I ever have a crush on Michael Emerson, and I’m so proud that he’s from my native Iowa (so I wonder where he got that Tom Lehrer accent? Maybe that’s just how they talk in the sophisticated metropolis of Cedar Rapids). Great interview.

7. adrianne says:

So it turns out Michael Emerson and I have the exact same philosophy on work even though I’m a graphic designer. I’ve literally used the same ‘tradesmen’ ‘problem-solving’ metaphor. Maybe cause I was also an illustration major and am from the Midwest.

God I love Michael Emerson even more now.

8. Annie says:

Great episode, best since Maron or TMBG. I’ve got a huge crush on Michael Emerson. Benjamin Linus was my absolute favorite character in LOST, such a complex, fascinating character portrayed by a brilliant actor (doubly brilliant in scenes with Terry O’Quinn, Holy shit balls those two are awesome!). I loved the part about approaching acting like a musical instrument and playing the opposite of what the scene appears to demand with abstract interpretations of characters and situations, super-interesting stuff.

Scott S – YES! I’ve always thought his voice was similar to Tom Lehrer’s!

9. gladly says:

I just watched The Descendants a couple weeks ago, and I loved all the talk about Hawaii. Especially Jonah. I’ve never been, and even if I do go, I’ll be there as a tourist, so it’s very cool to hear people who’ve spent so much time there talking about such an interesting place.

For me, Chris talking about bowling, Jonah talking about Hawaii, and Matt talking about the funeral home–super interesting, surprising stuff that I love on this podcast.

10. Ian says:

I almost never comment on the podcasts, I love them all so much. Michael Emerson? This is a man who’s acting I love so much that I commented on it on live radio a couple times. Such a sweet man, and such an amazing actor.. Kudos, Chris, for having him on…

11. Patty Marvel says:

Just finished listening and, yeah, I can see what Emerson means about doing the opposite of what a scene would call for to create a sinister undertone. That sort of thing works with music, like that really discordant carousel song on “The Lost Boys” soundtrack – instead of being a happy little tune, this one makes you want to GTFO of the area (listen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6O_NYy5vqX4 ). And between his cold and Scott the Dog’s absence, I wanted to reach into the computer and give Chris a hug and some hot cocoa! Take a day off and just veg with some orange juice and chicken broth!

12. Patty Marvel says:

Aw! Poor Chris sounds like he has a cold!

13. Ben Clarkson says:

My parents are seasoned time travelers.

14. Kierstyn says:

Fabulous interview.

But Chris, it made me so sad when you mentioned your dog, and him not getting to live with you anymore. I hope you get to see him sometimes. Steve, right? (I seem to remember acute video of Steve being completely in love with a visiting dog, or something like that). Anyway… hope you get to have a lifestyle where you can have a pet again at some point (if you want that, of course).

15. Mayanrelic says:

Sometimes I say normal things in his Ben voice to my wife. “No honey, I didn’t put the GARBAGE out…not yet anyways.” (Cue spooky LOST reveal SFX)

True story.

16. Michelle says:

…why are you whispering…?

17. SlimCharles says:

Awesome, can’t wait to listen to it. I wonder if he tried to manipulate you by finding out what you are emotionally invested in, and exploited it?

18. John48221 says:

Has he ever done an audiobook? My wife would buy it. No matter what the subject.

19. Scott S says:

Michael sounds like Tom Lehrer. What kind of accent is that that pops up now and then in his speech?

20. Jake says:

Michael would make a great Hal 9000 if they ever decided to remake 2001.

21. There are no words for how hard I would watch Michael Emerhouse.

22. Vincent S says:

I didn’t come to a brothel, Hardwick! I don’t like this filth and disgust on one week. I mean, two instantaneous nerdgasms in a week and it’s only wednesday, Come ON!!!!

Awesome get Our Lord and Master, Hardwick. :D Listening commence!!!!

23. Stephen says:

What a great episode. I had no idea Emerson was an illustrator-turned-actor. As an actor-turned-illustrator, I really enjoyed hearing him talk about the crossovers.

24. Paul says:

@Ben Clarkson: So you’re either a seasoned time traveler, or five years old?

25. DrKewp says:

He could always get a job doing voice-over as the “G-Man” in Half-Life sequels.

26. Ben Clarkson says:

I was named after his character on Lost.

True fact.

27. He’s so sweet and unassuming for a man who is so intensely terrifying…