Mel Brooks

Nerdist Podcast: Mel Brooks

Chris, Matt and Jonah sit down with a legend! The amazing Mel Brooks comes on the show to tell some hilarious stories about pitching his movies, how he and Carl Reiner still get each other to laugh, and much more!

Buy The Incredible Mel Brooks: An Irresistible Collection of Unhinged Comedy!

Comments

1. JetpackBlues says:

@Matt:

. . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .“~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-“. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .”-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . “:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .”~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . “~,_. . . ..”~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .”-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .”;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..”~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./…..\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>–==“
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _

2. Aw shit. Thanks Patty! 😀

3. @Caveman Yes. Lots and lots of yes.

@Matt Grandis
    I hereby submit to this gathering of the Nerdist club my proposal to change the secret handshake to the following, in Matt’s honor. *Ahem*

4. Patty Marvel says:

@Jake – Actually, what you’re seeing are the posts of one person with dissociative identity disorder. Our real name is Sybil. Right now, we’re the personality with a vagina.

@CavemanPinball – First, thanks! I recommend following these guys on Twitter, especially Doctor Quemmento. Second, cool handle.

@Everyone – I liked Mel Brooks before and have seen most of the films discussed in the podcast (“The Twelve Chairs” has now been ordered from OhioLINK), but I like him even more having heard how engaged he is. Did anyone else notice how often HE asked questions? He asked Chris about how podcasts work and how do you make money off of that and YouTube videos, he asked Matt – with what sounded like real concern – about the demise of “Attack of the Show” and if it could be salvaged somehow, and I think he asked Jonah something as well. That level of engagement has happened a LITTLE bit when Team Nerdist were pals with the interview subject and almost never when they were strangers. Hearing Mr. Brooks, especially considering he’s eighty-six-years-old and FARKING MEL BROOKS, give that much of a crap about the people who came to interview him for over an hour was just delightful. I bet that man has a circle of friends that is both wide and deep.

Chris must’ve been over the moon when Mr. Brooks said “That’s a good question” THREE times! If Jon Stewart ever needs a sub, Fearless Leader should be it. Speaking of Stewart, the style of humor on “The Daily Show” fits Mr. Brooks’ description of what HE does – “Comedy as protest…not as things ARE but as they SHOULD be.”

I loved hearing Mr. Brooks recount his bit at Carl Reiner’s lifetime achievement award ceremony as I distinctly recall watching it (Dana Carvey later commented on it in the same show). I can’t find the clip anywhere on YouTube, but if someone from Team Nerdist can find it, please post it here so everyone can really enjoy it. Thanks!

5. Matt Grandis says:

Goddamnit, JetpackBlues, that was the SECRET secret handshake. Now everyone knows. Well done.

6. Kevin says:

Okay, that was beautiful. Thanks, guys. I nearly wept.

7. I loved this episode (I really need to just run a batch file…but eh?). I just have a tiny suggestions, if you loved/liked this episode then check out the totally awesome This Week with Larry Miller. In case you didn’t know, Larry had a bad fall a few months ago. BUT he’s back in 2013 with new episodes. I couldn’t be happier! I hope that when my podcast grows up it is half as interesting as Larry’s.

Larry Miller is a character actor that you might not know by name but when you see him you’ll be “OH THAT guy!”

Thanks and Nominum Quid Geminus!!!
    -Diane.

8. Three Toes of Fury says:

3.1415926535 8979323846 2643383279 5028841971 6939937510 5820974944 5923078164 0628620899 8628034825 3421170679 8214808651 3282306647 0938446095 5058223172 5359408128 4811174502 8410270193 8521105559 6446229489 5493038196 4428810975 6659334461 2847564823 3786783165 2712019091 4564856692 3460348610 4543266482 1339360726 0249141273 7245870066 0631558817 4881520920 9628292540 9171536436 7892590360 0113305305 4882046652 1384146951 9415116094 3305727036 5759591953 0921861173 8193261179 3105118548 0744623799 6274956735 1885752724 8912279381 8301194912 9833673362 4406566430 8602139494 6395224737 1907021798 6094370277 0539217176 2931767523 8467481846 7669405132 0005681271 4526356082 7785771342 7577896091 7363717872 1468440901 2249534301 4654958537 1050792279 6892589235 4201995611 2129021960 8640344181 5981362977 4771309960 5187072113 4999999837 2978049951 0597317328 1609631859 5024459455 3469083026 4252230825 3344685035 2619311881 7101000313 7838752886 5875332083 8142061717 7669147303 5982534904 2875546873 1159562863 8823537875 9375195778 1857780532 1712268066 1300192787 6611195909 2164201989
    icing on the cake? Pi in binary…

11. 00100100 00111111 01101010 10001000 10000101 10100011 00001000 11010011
    00010011 00011001 10001010 00101110 00000011 01110000 01110011 01000100
    10100100 00001001 00111000 00100010 00101001 10011111 00110001 11010000
    00001000 00101110 11111010 10011000 11101100 01001110 01101100 10001001

{in my best Homer voice} “NERRRRRRRDS!”

9. Ross says:

Just beautiful. Mel’s right, Chris–you had a couple of David Frost-league questions for him in there. Well done. I only wished you could have asked him about what Wilder said on “ItAS” about Zero Mostel causing that very real panic on Wilder’s face in certain scenes because Mostel was so blatantly lusting after him. I’m curious to know if Brooks was aware of it at the time.
    I never heard that dopey “Frau Blucher”=”glue factory” rumor; too many of us Krauts where I grew up for that to get any traction. Plus, read a history book occasionally, people–the Prussian army, that basically let itself get savaged during Waterloo so that Wellington could make his stand against Napoleon, was commanded by that 73-yr-old maniac von Blücher, still leading cavalry charges(& getting horses shot out from under him) when he should have been in a rocking chair. We all got that her name called up images of a bloodthirsty, mad old Prussian who shortened the life of many a horse. Fit Leachman’s character perfectly.
    And, it was kind of reassuring to hear his explanation of his attitude toward the modern sci-fi genre: I always thought there was a lack of affection for it evident in “Space Balls”(probably the one Brooks parody I didn’t much laugh at, aside from Moranis’ Dark Helmet bits).
    Yup, you’re ticking off your list of dream guests lately, & we’re getting the conversations of a lifetime. Thanks.

10. AlexTheBritishLlama says:

Great ep, I also love the Chloe intros as well, I’d love to have her on the podcast.

11. JetpackBlues says:

@Matt & Quemmento: The ‘secret handshake’ is throwing down the gang sign for Pi, then reciting the value to the 100th place.

12. Three Toes of Fury says:

@ Jake: back atcha brotha! for we of the Borg Nerdist Collective, resistance is futile!

@ Doc Q: Hazaa on the Nerdist Fight Club! May i envision that we meet in underground garages and surround two nerdists as they step into the center and then proceed to roll 20 sided dice to see who’s hit points runs out first?

@ Matt G: you nailed the handshake! I’ll be walking over to shake your hand (using my ministry of silly walk training) after i enjoy my eggs, spam, spam, spam, bacon, and spam breakfast but first swinging by my vet to have him look at my sick parrot whom i rescued while working as a singing lumberjack….Ni!

@ Captain Hardwick USS Nerderprise: @#$@#ing loved this interview. Im of the ilk that Blazing Saddles is one of the top 5…maybe top 3 all time greatest comedies. The flicks humor doesnt dimish with nostalgia, insane amounts of repeat viewings, or time. Its perfect. Thank you thank you thank you for the discussion around it and crazy interesting origin story of it! (Mel: “Rich (pryor) wrote for Mongo and I wrote the black parts”. Brilliant!).

Peace .n. 15 Schnitzengrubens my limit baby…..i am not from havana!

3TOF..pawn in chess game of life.

13. shannon says:

I am SO happy for you guys! I am glad you all made it and it sounds like you guys had a wonderful talk with Mel. Ahmahzang!! Love you guys!!

14. filthy says:

No sense in keeping the good news a secret anymore Chris . Coming this spring to the E channel. The first Nerd reality show Kloee&Kris the Princess and the Nerd. Wait til’ you guys see the origins episode it’s awesome!

15. Matt Grandis says:

But we DO have a secret handshake, Doc.

(Haven’t listened yet, I’m still only halfway through the Jimmy Kimmel episode)

16. dave foley says:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

17. Shaun Herlan says:

This podcast made my heart smile. SUPER happy Matt made it. Add me to the list of people that love the Chloe & Chris intros. In fact, I’d like to hear Chloe sit in on the podcast once in a while if Matt or Jonah isn’t there. God knows she’s funnier than Jonah :O) #TeamMatt

18. Jake says:

Damn @cavemanpinball you articulate my feelings for nerdist so well.

Nerdist Rulez!!

19. Alon says:

One of the best shows recently. Such an inspirational person, funny, worm, king, quick. Really great you guys, Thank you so much for this episode!

20. bill cosby says:

21. The quality and quantity of truly entertaining podcasts and videos that Nerdist Industries has been putting out — most of which align perfectly with my interests — is nothing short of incredible. I mean, 288 episodes of this podcast alone, not to mention all the other podcasts and the YouTube channel! The fact that it has all been free leaves me speechless. It is difficult to express how lucky it feels to be able to experience this golden age as it’s happening. I love being part of what “IS” (as Mel Brooks says).

Thank you Chris for developing all these amazing things for us to enjoy. I love the fact that it empowers you to make things about stuff you love, and that you let us ride along with you for our own enjoyment. It turns out that many of us love what you love. Thank you Jonah and Matt for bringing that special chemistry that you have with each other and with Chris. You take the Nerdist Podcast to a whole new level. I am glad that there are people out there who get why this podcast works so well, and enough of them to allow you to keep doing it. I hope you all do it for a long time.

(Sorry if this is too much gushing, but it’s been building up in me for over two years and I finally had to post something! Must have been the Thanksgiving spirit.)

So that’s how I felt *before* listening to the Mel Brooks episode. This episode multiplies everything I just said by a thousand. Seriously, way to go gentlemen.

P.S. @Jake, it’s not just you. For me, this group enhances the fun.

22. LJ says:

That was great! Glad Matt and Jonah made it.

I saw HoTW Pt. 1 when I was 8 and even then I got the joke.

I love the idea of the YouTube channel all of a sudden becoming the old legends channel Joan, Mel, who’s next? Cosby?

23. Mike says:

I love looking at the comment threads of the other podcasts and seeing Chris rape the trolls that bitch and moan about the free product they receive. I’d be doing the same exact thing if I were in his position. Appreciate this awesomeness you get to put into your ears people!

24. Graham says:

I almost cried when Brooks said, “Enjoy your burrito. Whatever that means”

25. @Jake
    The first rule of Nerdist Club is that you do not talk about Nerdist Club. 😉 We need a Wheaton/Hardwick style secret handshake.

26. Nevets says:

I think my favorite part of this is when Chris asks Brooks:

“What is it about dick that you think makes it so great?”

… Priceless.

27. Chet says:

I would like to hear Mel Brooks on WTF.

28. Benay Brannon says:

What a joy. Thanks Mel and Chris.

29. Tiffany says:

I am only half way through and totally loving this episode! I am so excited for Chris, Matt and Jonah and have a big smile on my face.

Congrats to the gang for being able to sit down with a comedy icon!

30. Frida says:

Just a suggestion: do not take a sip from your bottle of water just before the “enjoy your burrito” closing. You might just gasp in excitement and end up wearing half of said bottle of water in your sweater.

31. B Baertsch says:

Timeless.

32. Kristin says:

I grew up watching History of the World Part 1. It was my second favorite movie… Labyrinth being the first.

Thanks for getting this legend on your podcast!

33. Curtis says:

Excellent episode, I love pretty much anything Mel Brooks. He’s still hilarious at almost a century old.

34. Jake says:

Does anyone feel like we’re in this secret club of nerdist listeners who also comment regularly on this site?

I mean I actually look forward to the comments of regulars like Patty Marvel, Dr Quemmento, Matt Grandis, Three toes of Fury and others.

Is it just me?

35. Mike Buzzelli says:

I had to look it up. Blucher is NOT the German word for “glue.” I am actually depressed that I just learned this. But “Young Frankenstein” is still brilliant!

36. Gibbelstein says:

In the book “The Groucho Letters” Groucho Marx wrote a letter to a friend in 1961 where he described Reiner and Brooks as “the new wave” of comedy. The perspective was mind blowing and, I think, fit with Mel’s description of comedy on this episode.

37. erik2690 says:

Haven’t listened yet, but have to say I love the Chris/Chloe intros. How someone finds a way to think those are terrible is weird to me. And he doesn’t mention her dad every intro they do together, KC, you are imagining things. Can’t wait to listen to the episode.

P.S. – Chloe has an infectious laugh.

38. Admiral Kent says:

Also, as I listened to this I imagined Mel smelling like my grandfather: Skin Bracer and Black Licorice

39. amysrevenge says:

Yup, it lived up to every bit of anticipation. So happy.

40. Admiral Kent says:

Awesome interview!! And an F-Bomb from Mel towards the end to boot.

41. Jamie Landister says:

Funny podcast. But seriously when is HotW P2 coming out?

42. Patty Marvel says:

Oh, GOOD! Matt made it for the podcast! He’d mentioned he couldn’t because of work, but why pass up an opportunity to chat with a legend for a job you’re losing anyway? What are they gonna do, fire him?

And now to listen…

43. Three toes of Fury says:

“Somebody’s gotta go back and get a shitload of dimes!”

Woot! Woot i say! Screw you black friday and cyber monday, ive got Mel-erdist Day!

Peace & The Waco Kid

3ToF

PS the only thing that could make this podcast better is another Chris/Chloe intro which regularly crack me up! Y’all work well together…the inveterted pillow exclaimation point bit was hilarious!
    #battling-troll-comments-daily.

44. Ariel says:

ohmigod ohmigod ohmigod!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE Mel!!!

45. KC says:

PLEASE GOD let there not be a Chris/Chloe intro that have totally turned me off to the show be for this eps. For Mel, I’ll chance it.

Chris stop embarrassing yourself with those intros. The fact you mention who her father is at every turn is a tell.

46. Wildride says:

Two words: Spaceballs prequel!

47. alisaj29 says:

I’m only half way finished w/the podcast and I just have to say, Mell Brooks is fricken AWESOME. First Tom Hanks and now Mell Brooks, Chris your podcast rules.

48. Cullen says:

Oh boy this is the best!

49. amysrevenge says:

The moment before I hit play – I’m savouring the anticipation.

50. McFeely says:

This is going to be great, I’ve grown up with Mr. Brook’s movies. Love them all.