Larry King

Nerdist Podcast: Larry King

The king of interviews, Larry King is on the podcast! He sits down with Chris to talk about some of his most hilarious interviews, living his dream as a broadcaster, and his love for making people laugh!

Artwork by Matthew Wong

Comments

1. D says:

Every word ,of nearly every story Larry King ever told ,whether about his life growing up, his days in Miami, the success of his radio show,or Larry King Live, is a LIE, including every “and” and “the”.

2. Stephanie C. says:

This podcast was a Master Class in Broadcasting. It just goes to show that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

3. Ian says:

I’ll just start by saying that I’ve been on board since the beginning and enjoy this podcast very much. I cycle in and out of podcasts constantly but have always kept this one in rotation.

That being said, there have been probably 3 or 4 podcasts in the history of Nerdist that, after listening to them, I decided I didn’t particularly care for…for whatever reason. This was one of those. I know Larry is a broadcasting legend and all of that but just dont find him to be incredibly interesting and find it difficult to listen to him for for than a couple minutes. I’m truly not trying to stir things up…just didnt dig Larry.

That being said, not totally enjoying 3 or 4 out of 200+ is a pretty good batting average so I won’t be skipping Nerdist anytime soon.

4. After listening to this my thoughts have changed completely of Larry King. This is by far a very influential man to have on your list of influences.

5. J. says:

This was very pleasant! Nice to see Mr. King nerding out and sharing about the job of hosting and interviewing. Nice to see someone who still loves and is excited about what they do even after doing it for so long.

6. Melina says:

I absolutely enjoyed this particular podcast (not that I don’t enjoy them all). Extremely enlightening to hear Larry King speak of his work so candidly. I will be taking some pointers from both you and Mr. King for future projects. Excellent work, Chris! CHEERS!

7. Wendy says:

A wonderful hour, and perhaps Chris’ finest as an interviewer. Excellent work.

8. Carley says:

Brilliant interview Chris! I think you made LK proud.:)

9. Stacy says:

Larry King was a fascinating guest, and Chris – you did a great job with this interview. Thank you for this!

10. Anthony says:

The number of chess moves Larry was talking about are I think accumulated moves, and not limited to possible moves per turn. These include strategic and nonsense moves strung together to postpone losing.

Sure, CH being quiet and deferential to veterans of old media is slowly paced, but totally worth it for the old-timey vacarious living, even if the story has gone through several revisions.

11. Ryan says:

@Eru, the one….Is it you think you are funny or is it jealousy that you will never accomplish in your lifetime what Larry King did by the time he was in his twenties?

12. Whoa. Way to Morgoth up the thread, Iluvatard.

13. Eru, the One says:

Oh my God how did you survive that Boring ASS interview Chris. Did you want to blow youself up, hang your self or just impale yourself with a pencil.

14. candlepin says:

I could have listened to three more hours of that. Great show.

15. Joey Skeate says:

This was an awesome episode, completely different from the rest of them but highly enjoyable.

Referring to the chess game statement. Many people assume “moves” mean single chess piece movements on a given turn, but the statistical statement is made by utilizing all the movements of the game until an outcome is reached (draw or victory by a player).

The next part I’m going off of memory, so I could be way off…

It is something like 15 or so movements from the beginning of a game until the sequence of movements that the players have gone through is considered original (ie has never been done before). The last time I heard about it was over a year ago and do not claim to be a statistician. So instead of trolling my comment I would recommend acknowledgement of the pathway I was going down and then possible correction from someone that has further knowledge of this field.

Larry King is the man.

16. David H says:

This show was a lot of fun. You’re really getting some heavy hitters at the moment, Chris!

And Ben Z, he obviously just made a mistake, calling chess
    “games” (of which there are a ridiculously high number of possible combinations), chess “moves”.

17. Ben Z says:

*can move 2

18. Ben Z says:

Let’s even add another 8 for pawn starting move where they can add 2 for a total of 121

19. Ben Z says:

Really good podcast! I have to disagree with Larry about chess moves though. Even assuming that you could occupy the same space as another piece and move through pieces, there would only be 113 moves available on any given turn:
    Pawn, move forward, take a piece to the left, take a piece to the right (I’m even assuming an outside pawn as captured in and can capture either way): 3×8
    Rook, move horizontally up to 7 spaces, move vertically up to 7 spaces: 14×2
    Knight, 8 options: 8×2
    Bishop, move diagonally up to 7 spaces: 7×2
    Queen, move horizontally, vertically, or diagonally up to 7 spaces: 21
    King, move one space in any direction or perform a castling manuever: 8 + 2
    24 + 28 + 16 + 14 + 21 + 10

20. Admiral Kent says:

Chris, are you sure you weren’t interviewing Billy West? Sounded an awful lot like Dr. Zoidberg.

21. JetpackBlues says:

LK: Go ahead, commenter.

JB: Larry, why do you sound like Zoidberg?

LK: What’s a… Zwoyd Burg? *whoooop-whoop-whoop* (V) (;,,;) (V) *gnyah-yaah*

@Alec: You were dreaming of Peter Hardwick.

@Chris: You should have informed him about “Thrilling Adventure Hour.” Even if it does have a sci-fi bent.

22. Alec says:

Update: I had a dream that I was watching some web video, and Chris was in it. He appeared haggard, sported two (poorly done) tattoo sleeves and had a distinct paunch.

He was dressed like a greasy, past-his-prime alt-rock guy, with an unbuttoned vest and no shirt, more lame tattoos on his stomach, and a faded bucket hat.

I believe this is a vision of things to come.

23. JetpackBlues says:

@Chris: Use this –> http://goo.gl/z7z4o

24. Phil says:

On Larry King not understanding racism, I think it’s more of a personality issue more than anything. I think people just lump up a section of people into a broad personality trait and judge accordingly based on their own approval or disapproval. It’s everywhere really. And it’s more segmented than it ever was before. I think when the Sidney Poitiers and Bill Cosbys came around it was at a time when a generalization of negative black stereotypes were being broken and certain people who prejudged a block of society was basing that on what they saw in their media and said, “Well, see they’re not all the way we thought.” But society as a whole seems more segmented it’s just not as extreme. I mean, there aren’t any Star Wars-only water fountains and the Star Trek people don’t sit in the back of The Matrix bus, but you do see a bit of segregation there. But at least they’re not lynching the Lord of the Rings fans.

25. Whoa says:

Larry king must of got so much ass, he almost got Chris’s.

26. Chris Hardwick says:

@Alec, Jen Kirkman knew what she was getting into by standing too close to the Internet. But look, even if I WANTED to get her out of it, I don’t know how! I’m afraid she may be there forever…

27. Alec says:

Chris, I am boycotting your podcast until you help free Jen Kirkman from the Internet. Do the right thing and bring her back.

28. Patty Marvel says:

In case you haven’t seen Larry King interview CH:

29. Smith says:

Anyone else listen to the Kevin Pollak Chat Show? Oh GOD, the Larry King game is the best. Anyhow, I can’t wait to put this talk in my earholes tomorrow morning.

30. Anyone thinking about starting a podcast should listen to this and absorb Larry King’s wisdom.

31. Shaun William Callahan says:

I’m gonna remember that polar bear joke for the rest of my life!!! classic! hahah

32. David says:

His voice is so hypnotic.

33. amysrevenge says:

What an enjoyble hour. Made my monkey-like drone work zip by this afternoon.

34. Bobby G says:

This podcast was great but too short, I could’ve listen to another hour or two of Larry and his stories. Thank you Chris for bringing us great guests, you rock.

35. Mark says:

I really wanted Larry to say, “America, Enjoy your burrito”.

36. Curtis says:

I really like how Chris can turn off the comedian in himself in order to meet Larry in the middle on his tempo and to get a good interview out of him. There’s still humor, but it’s not the brain droppings (to steal one from Carlin, there) that come with some of the other guests.

In addition, Larry gives a great interview. He is open and able to speak what he means, which is what makes him great in the first place. I really enjoyed this episode as a departure from the norm for the podcast.

37. Bobby G says:

“Better than Larry Lickers” *whosh* right over his head.

38. Alec says:

Nice podcast.

“Coming up on the Larry King Show, imagination pies.”
    (http://www.kevinpollakschatshow.com/king/?cat=19)

39. Jacky Dan says:

*facepalm* Sorry I didn’t see the link before

40. Chris Hardwick says:

It’s says in the post, Jacky D! His name is Matthew Wong.

41. Jacky Dan says:

Who is the artist that made the graphic for this episode?

42. Ben Z says:

Woot! I’ve been expecting this! Can’t wait to listen!