Laina Morris

Nerdist Podcast: Laina Morris

The Overly Attached Girlfriend, Laina Morris, hangs out on the podcast to talk about being from Texas, how she became the Overly Attached Girlfriend, and her plans for the future!

Check out Laina’s videos on YouTube!

Comments

1. Akagami says:

I was looking for some new podcasts and eventually found out about this one (454 being my first episode).

I’m glad I listened to the whole thing.
    Laina, you sound like an awesome person!
    Nerdist, keep up the good work!!

2. Ian says:

In the middle of the podcast, when Laina, Chris, and Matt were talking about having urges to cause car crashes and touch Britney Spears’ boobs, those are called intrusive thoughts.

3. Brook says:

To build on Mr. Smartypants comment, another book that used the concept fame = currency is Scott Westerfeld’s “Extras”

4. Alwin says:

Anybody else get a “Felicia Day’s younger sister/cousin” (who couldn’t play video games because Felicia hogged the computer) vibe from her? Especially her vocal register (which may have been different because she had bronchitis)?

<3 both of them.

5. Adam M says:

For the next internet meme guest, might I suggest the “Chocolate Rain” guy, performing a duet with Bruce Gutter.

6. Fartbooty says:

I loved you on Gadget Prone wow I had no idea the overly attached girl was so cool

7. theotherterry says:

Laina seems to have normal fears about performing.

Just do it, you’ll be fine.

8. D43m0n says:

This was great. i had never heard of Laina before, but I watched some of her videos and she is funny. Very sweet and awkward and sincere and my type of comedian.

9. Tillburg says:

Oh man I would take her out to a nice restaurant and treat her respectively so hard.

10. Wilson says:

I really enjoyed this one, she’s adorable and funny.

I like hearing Chris and Matt dispense their wisdom to the younger generation.

11. Emilio says:

I really enjoyed this one, but this is a good example of how the young generation is socially awkward. When they brought up how the younger generations are going to be limited in social interaction, just hearing this podcast proved it to be a correct assumption. I hope the best for Ms.Morris, she just needs to get past this fear, nobody hits a homerun (sports reference) their first time out.

12. Mr_Smartypants says:

The use of social cachet / popular reputation as currency is well-known in science fiction.

I like the treatment is in Cory Doctorow’s “Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom”.

13. Cass says:

CROSSROADS IS LITERALLY MY FAVORITE MOVIE!!! I was beginning to think it was an illusion…Nobody else in the world has ever heard of/seen it.

14. Liam says:

The talk about internet status as currency reminded me of a scifi novel called The Algebraist by the late great Iain M Banks, it has some aliens who live in a gas giant and use ‘kudos’ as currency/social standing

15. Ash says:

Definitely one of the best episodes yet! Laina sounds like such an awesome person, I’m gonna follow her Twitter now!

16. Andrew Lerma says:

I have been loving the introswith Katie on mic.

17. Scott says:

I can’t wait to listen to Laina. She seems like a little dear.

18. Nichole says:

“He’s caught in a perpetual state of self explosions” – Matt

19. Sleepyhead says:

Appreciated Chris’s encouragement to Laina on getting started with stand-up and sketch comedy. I’m sure there are venues for this near Dallas that would love to have her as a guest or even as a regular. She already has the resume to get in her in the door easily. I know Jason Sudekis got his start playing at a “Comedy Sportz” in Kansas City, for example.

On the other hand, Laina probably needs to realize that SNL shouldn’t necessarily be the ultimate goal anymore. The Internet has changed everything, and there are a lot more possible paths to success in the entertainment industry.

20. patrick says:

Right now, with the addition of using social media as educational tools, elementary and high school curriculum are changing to include what is being called “digital citizenship” across all disciplines. Teaching that a comment section doesn’t have to be this dark hateful place. The reason why this change is happening is because everything that was said on this (and other) episodes about internet behaviour is completely true. It’s just sad to think that the generation (of which i am a part of) that grew up with the beginnings of social media instinctively embraced anonymity as a tool to be awful to others. We’ll see what happens.

21. Andrew says:

You don’t normally post podcasts on Tuesdays? There was an ad on the site telling us to check for podcasts on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.

Not that I’m complaining. I prefer 3 podcasts or less a week.

22. s1yfox says:

her voice is so soft and nice to listen to! good job everyone!

Also, I’d duel Matt as a fellow lefty guitarist 😛

23. Mark says:

My sister actually ate lunch with this girl at our high school, it’s crazy that she’s got this popular. Fully deserved though she’s awesome! Looking forward to listening to this and seeing if she referencse anything local.

24. Scully says:

I too am from Dallas and just like any good house pet I got very excited every time you said our city’s name

We do have a space like what Chris was recommending for Laina its called Open Stage. It is a weekly performers playground for performers by performers. The main stage is pre selected acts currated by the event coordinator and can be anything. I have seen comedians, story tellers, musicians, circus performer and burlesque acts. The end of the evening is a camera and recording free open mic. This is a treasure of Dallas because it is a safe space for the performance community to work on material, meet each other and have fun. If Laina is just nervous getting on stage the first time I highly recommend this. You will be welcomed and you will meet the people who can help you get connected to the scene that is right for her in Dallas.

Sorry long comment is long

25. DMart says:

@Tyler McAnaugh: I don’t think she was obsessing, really. I mean, have you LISTENED to Hardwick when he talks about someone or something he likes? Now THAT is obsessing 😉

26. Wildride says:

You should definitely have Grumpy Cat on as the next meme on your podcast: Not the owner — The cat.

27. amysrevenge says:

You kids and your meems. Enjoyed the show though…

28. Mario Morales says:

Nerdist is going to Break the Internet..

29. CodyH says:

This was a really great episode, probably one of my favorites from this year.

30. Bryan says:

Chris, I really empathized with Laina’s fear of starting stand up & quite appreciated your advice and overcoming her objectives. Thanks for that.

Keep the great pods coming.

31. Tyler McAnaugh says:

Is anyone else very weirded out by the like obsessive fandom you can hear in Laina’s voice when she talks about Kristen Wiig and Tiny Fay? I’m always disgusted by the Kardashian, etc obsession that America displays lately… but just listening to her talk about Kristen Wiig just weirded me out.

32. Lynda says:

VidCon, Youtube people…

Vlogbrothers? Please… its so unlikely, you are all so busy but it would be ever so awesome.
    *silent squee*

Best Wishes and Don’t Forget To Be Awesome

33. Jeremy says:

It’s funny because a former classmate of mine just came up with a way to monetize popularity; it’s called WePay. I haven’t looked much into it, but it sounds pretty identical to what you were describing!

Also, Laina, you rock :)!

34. JetpackBlues says:

Okay, I normally don’t listen to a podcast and post “NOW YOU MUST HAVE (so-and-so) ON!”, but this sets a double precedent.

If possible, track down Maggie Goldenberger – the GERSBERMS girl.

35. fred zimkouski says:

HEY! Batman Returns is my favorite movie of all time.