James Gunn

Nerdist Podcast: James Gunn

James Gunn comes on the podcast to talk about his new video game Lollipop Chainsaw, everyone talks about their coffee addictions and all their favorite TV shows right now!

Follow @jamesgunn on Twitter and check out more about “Lollipop Chainsaw”

Comments

1. imbad says:

Hey guys, very insightful conversation. Loved what you said about putting out fires, focusing on the positive and negative self perception. I was raised atheist and I do computer science research for a living, and I feel the same way all the time. I think it’s pretty common for people in challenging, stressful situations. Might be interesting for folks who feel this way to check out impostor syndrome:

2. Josh says:

@BenZ Fun little discussion here — thanks for starting it! As usual, I agree with Doc — jeez that guy is smart… Personally, for those of us who take a little time to take those crazy trolls on, I love that CH comes on every now and then to join / settle the scrum. I feel like CH’s anti-troll messages are more for the troll fighters than the trolls themselves, which is super cool. He could just as easily leave us hanging to battle the trolls ourselves. but he doesn’t. He joins in and says, “Yup, trollism and douchbaggery is not okay with me either.” Don’t know about the other guys, but CH’s anti-troll comments emboldens me to continue fighting the good fight. And hey, a couple of us even got our science-y yo mama jokes read on a hostful — how cool is that??? Now THAT’s what I call positive reinforcement! (c:

3. bsg says:

Documentary on the NES Tetris World Championships… A fantastic movie that should be in wide release soon. (w/ a brief cameo from
    Alexey Pajitnov – who now owns the rights to the game and does fine for himself)

Old games are fantastic, so long as you play the faster paced games. Space Invaders is too slow in today’s standars… Robotron 2084, Kaboom!, and Dragonfire are classics that hold up just as well as Tetris.

4. Oh, hey. Look what happened while I was typing that response… Heh heh.

5. @Ben Z
    I don’t think that Cara Santa Maria attacks people and then wonders why she gets attacked. I think that she attacks ideas and then knows full well why she gets attacked. And I fully understand what you’re saying about Chris responding to trolls causing more trolling, but not only do I disagree with it, I don’t think that your premise is sound.

Your premise is that if you stir a hornet’s nest you’re going to get stung. I understand that. But people aren’t hornets. Hornets are creatures of instinct that sting to protect themselves. People are creatures of reason that possess brains that, when used, will tell them when it’s appropriate to sting and when it’s not. I’m well aware that people don’t always use their brains, but if you drop the expectation and don’t hold people accountable for their words and their actions, if you don’t challenge people to explain themselves and reflect on what they do and what they say, you set a dangerous precedent in which people feel comfortable acting without thinking because they know they’ll never be called to the carpet.

Furthermore, I’ve seen the way Chris handles trolls. When they’re challenged to examine the way they communicate they end up coming back and making it right more often than you would think. Even the Howard Stern guy Chris mentioned in this very episode came back a few weeks later and apologized. I don’t know this for a fact, but I would think that seeing that pattern of resolution probably deters more trolling than it creates.

6. Ben Z says:

@Chris Hardwick
    You make an excellent point. It never occurred to me that as a comedian you’re trying to make jokes out of the trolls. Not being a comedian myself (but rather a very analytic person that works in a very analytical job), I wasn’t seeing that. Your thanks on your Dad’s podcast was awesome! Like I said over there, I wish I could have that relationship with my Dad. Using my analytical brain, next time I will see if I can recognize you tearing into them vs. them affecting you.

7. Chris Hardwick says:

@BenZ: I’m a comedian. I’m conditioned to respond to hecklers. Also, I posted HUGE thanks on the thread of my Dad’s podcast. Don’t worry…I notice all the positive comments and I appreciate the shit out of them!!!

8. Ben Z says:

@Diane
    That cloning bit made me laugh. That was something I was trying to stress. I realize he’s SUPER busy with everything, but that just means the more he positively reinforces the trolls, the more the trolls will troll to get noticed. Chris will read 3-4 positive quemments and be grateful, but read one troll and just go on and on. I think it would reduce the trolling if he didn’t positively reinforce it (like I saw happen in Iowa City). If he read it, said it was from Person X and said, “You’re now blocked, Person X,” that would maybe help too.

9. Ben Z says:

@Josh
    Thanks for the info, I will go look.

@Doctor Quemmento
    That’s not what I’m saying. I’m saying that by responding to and harping on trolls, he’s going to get more trolls. This is what I don’t want to happen. The issue with Ms. Maria is not that she’s vocal about atheism, it’s that she attacks people and wonders why she gets attacked. Chris isn’t attacking people. He’s responding to trolls with more ferver (and showing people that it reaches him more) than he does with compliments. That makes people think, “Oh! To get noticed, I need to troll Chris!”

10. ZOMG: The best things on this page:
    1) Twitter Jesus I <3 Doctor Quemmento, you are too awesome for words.
    2) A parade…nice. with deepest sympathies just made me laugh.
    3) BenZ I totally get what you are saying. CH does seem to positively reinforce bad behavior. But let's remember this. Until cloning technology is perfected, there is only ONE Chris Hardwick. He's been a bit busy lately.
    4) Patty you are awesome!

In fact, this is the only comment section I will read on the internet ! You guys are always entertaining.

11. If you cannot get enough of James Gunn, he was on today’s Adam Carolla podcast. It was delightful. The overlap is where Mr. Gun talks about Lollipop Chainsaw but other than that it was a pretty cool conversation.

-Diane.

12. toonsmyth says:

Any SUPER fans who care to see the animated series idea I pitched to James Gunn and IFC can view it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL3RQH6W1dw
    I STILL think it would make a GREAT original animated series. I’m about to start production on a web series for a major producer, but there’s still time to consider this before I’m TOO rich and famous! TICK TOCK, PEOPLE! Let’s bring back BOLTIE!!!

13. Patty Marvel says:

@CXRengel – It isn’t what Chris said but what he saw. CH tells Gunn that he (CH) has heard that Sarah Michelle Gellar is a nice person and there was a…pause…followed by CH laughing. You can hear him say something about facial expressions, so apparently JG made some sort of face at the assertion SMG is a swell person.

14. CXRengel says:

What did Chris say that caused a laughing fit?