Dave Grohl

Nerdist Podcast: Dave Grohl

The amazing and talented Dave Grohl invited Chris, Matt and Jonah to his studio to talk about his love for music, how he learned to play the drums and his new documentary Sound City!

Click here to see the documentary Sound City, available February 1st!

Comments

1. DENISE says:

Sorry for the duplicate ….I thought the 1st one didnt go thru! You can delete one! I just want to say ‘DAVE IS AN AWESOME GUY” AND VERY SWEET…THANKS DAVE AGAIN …Denise White

2. DENISE says:

I just came across this interview…..its way cool w/ Dave Grohl! I went to the Hollywood Palladium to see the Sound City Players 1/31/13 and wanted to say a Huge “THANK YOU” to all the Musicians that had a part…There was something for everyone! It was great that so much talent came together to deliver a awesome show! Dave, I know your a Capricorn I am too, We give 110% + to anything we do…I must say I think you are a extra special kind of guy & very genuine I think. I didnt get to snap a photo as you were leaving that night my darn batteries went out on camera…oh well there will be another time. Love you lots dave! dw

3. Denise says:

Just come across this …..And I really loved this interview! I went to the Hollywood Pallidium to see Sound City Players and it was the best! So much talent there was something for everyone to enjoy! I must say I so love Dave …his hard work and the drive he has to make something special ….Capricorns work very hard, and give 110% ..I know Im one too! A huge “Thank You” to all the big musicians whi took their time to make this happen and to share with music lovesr all over the globe! i must say i thought this was very special….Dave I think your extra special you made me laugh some in this Podcast! Keep the wheels in motion always! dw

4. Rachael says:

Dave, come to Milwaukee to play the fuckin’ Foo Fighters with Rick Springfield and play “I did everything for you” channeling the Buzzcocks. Please!!!

5. So I sold a crossbow for $17 in Diablo 3 today. I used the proceeds to buy Sound City Movie. I put the other $4 towards alcohol to consume while watching it, and I’m about to sit down and get my Documentary on.

I feel like this is the only place on the internet where anyone would appreciate this.

6. mara lynn says:

so glad the boss left me alone this morning so I could enjoy the Podcast in undisturbed peace. Mr. Grohl really helps the mundane data entry portion of the day not be see mundane. Bitchin……

7. amysrevenge says:

Holy shitballs, that did sound a lot like (a less high) Kevin Smith there. A really similar passion/zest for life vibe throughout.

8. Ciara says:

Thanks Chris & co. !!!

9. Debra says:

Fu*kin-A. Best interview ever!!! It was like get a drink and sit in on the chat! I felt like I was back in the dayz and we would all just talk about music and whatever and It was AWESOME!!! I worship Dave!! and I and now a fan of Nerdist! EPIC!!!!!

10. BoozeBaron says:

Gotta agree @Gman – Dave was awesome (and patient) as usual… Chris, (I could never do your job in a million years – and – think it’s great that you brought someone on like Dave) – but you were out of your depths on this one mate… Sounded like you were constantly competing – or at a loss – or just struggling – Maybe starstruck? (God knows I would have been!) … Either way – Will be checking out “Sound City” for sure now… Thanks Dave.

11. Gman says:

This would have been a great interview if they hadn’t kept interrupting Dave with lame ass jokes.

12. Hugh says:

The first Foo Fighters album was a big part of my soundtrack for 95-96.
    Really dug Grohl’s zeal for arguing that people shouldn’t sweat liking whatever they like. It’s definitely something I’m having to keep reminding myself.

Also, for those of you who are impatient: the movie is already available today.

13. Steve says:

Gonna have to see Sound City now! Have been a huge fan of Foo Fighters since I first heard “Everlong”.. I still listen to Nirvana too. great podcast. You have to listen to Marc Marron’s WTF podcast. Dave Grohl did an interview with him few weeks ago.

14. Tanya D. says:

WOW! Loved this episode, as a parent who wants to shelter her kids from shit I learned a big lesson on how to do it. Thank you Mr. Grohl for the advice on it being ok for beiber-shit-balls to enter the house!
    Awesome interview guys, can’t wait for the documentary, it looks killer.

15. toonsmyth says:

That was a good BANE impression at the beginning of the intro. ;P

16. thee toes of fury says:

@curtis: i totally dig the Fail quote!

It could be a great starting point for a new Foo Fighters song…..if only someone at nerdist knew the band…..(#eyebrows-raise, #cartoon-lightbulb-appears-over-3tof’s-head)

Peace & “i havent failed, ive just found thousands of ways it doesnt work”. (Edison on the process leading to discovery of lightbulb filament*)

3tof

*woot! lightbulb callback in same post. woot i say!

17. Drakeo says:

My mind…it’s blown to shit!

18. Aldebaran says:

This was a delightful episode!

Dave Grohl is always among my top ten list of wonderful people, and I was hoping that due to Sound City, he’d make it to the Nerdist!

I truly enjoy these podcasts, they are casual enough to prompt honest answers and longer stories, but maintain a pacing that keeps it devolving into chaos. Thanks for sharing this with all of us!

19. Gary Bravender says:

Allright Chris get out your hanky cuz I’m gonna gush about the podcast too.FUCKING AMAZING!! such a great interview. Dave was so down to earth and the Synergy was electric like you guys have known each other for years.Man I need to listen to these more often.
    Chris you Fuckin’ ROCK!!!

20. Rick says:

A lot more entertaining than I expected. He reminds me a lot of Kevin Smith.

21. JetpackBlues says:

Another directorial project Dave did recently was the music video for Soundgarden’s “By Crooked Steps.”

It definitely has his patented comedic twist.

“Conceived and directed by our friend and fan Dave Grohl, depicts the “Crooked Steps” gang cruising around the tough streets of LA, reeking havoc on the DJ scene. Dave said about approaching the band to direct the video, “I had an idea. I got a copy of the record and the third song ‘By Crooked Steps’ was a signature, instantly recognizable Soundgarden song,” and the rest was history.”

22. oma says:

This was sooooooo good! Nerdist keeps delivering the goods baby! Dave Grohl is easy, one of the most talented guys in rock. (arguably ever, for realz) And what makes him even more awesome, he’s a truly nice guy. The entertainment/make my life better value that Nerdist gives me is off the fucking charts! Not sure how you guys are going to keep up this insane level of awesomeness over the rest of the year because you have set the bar crazy high! 😀

23. Curtis says:

Oh, also to add to Dave’s thing about failing. My college professors always used to tell me “Fail, Fail again, Fail in flames, Fail better.”

I’m sure they stole it from someone, but I like that saying a lot.

24. Joseph says:

Fuck the Simon Cowells of the world. They think they’re the gatekeepers, but they’re really just carnies telling you if you can get on their shoddily but ride.

25. Patty Marvel says:

30:18 – TOM WAITS!!!!! GET FARKING TOM FARKING WAITS ON THE SHOW!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I’ll calm down now…

26. JetpackBlues says:

To add to the Dave Grohl video cornucopia, might I suggest the Foo Fighters documentary “Back And Forth” http://us.foofightersfilm.com/ and Live at Wembley Stadium.

Second night of the Wembley show featured John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page playing on “Rock and Roll” & “Ramble On”

So getting big name musicians to collaborate with has happened before. Although I bet it takes shit-tons of coordination.

27. Lana says:

What a wonderful interview!! I can’t wait to see this documentary. And as a Rick fan – I adore that Dave just comes out says that, not only should Rick not be a “guilty pleasure” but that we should just like what we like and get on with it.

28. Patty Marvel says:

What @Friend of a Friend said!!! Talk about your nerd bands! Yes, get those nice Canadian boys on the podcast “tout de suite!”

Other nerd musicians / bands you MUST have on the show should include Thomas Dolby (you’ve already interviewed him once for BBC America!) and Devo. Shoot, my mother-in-law is BFFs with local artist Amy Mothersbaugh Roos, who I’ve encouraged to make some Nerdist artwork, so at least one person among the Mothersbaugh siblings knows about the podcast. Give ’em a call!

29. Curtis says:

Great episode. Not gonna lie when I say I peed a little when I saw his name pop up. The Colour and the Shape was the first album I ever got that belonged to me and not my parents. This is one I’m going to have to give a few listens just to get everything from it. Thumbs up.

30. erik2690 says:

Another awesome episode. Thanks you guys.

31. Friend of a Friend says:

Speaking of music (many) nerds love … Since Dave and Taylor Hawkins will be inducting RUSH into the Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame at a ceremony in L.A. in May 2013, maybe he can hook the Nerdist up with Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson while they are in SoCal. (I wouldn’t even dream of getting the totally awesome but publicity-shy introvert Neil Peart.)

32. LLoyd says:

Dam I found alot of this stuff fucking funny. What a grate time you all had doning this because I had a grate time listening to it. Grate job to all.

33. Patty Marvel says:

Sweet and sour Cthulu, you got Dave Farking Grohl on the podcast?!?!?! AND you talked to him in HIS studio?!?! Holy shit, Batman, I cannot WAIT to listen! The guy seems pretty darned funny and smart and his drumming for Queens of the Stone Age blows my farking MIND!

I’m two weeks behind with podcast listening, but screw that! I’m jumping ahead to this episode!

34. Atticus says:

no… way! Awesome. Can’t wait to listen!

35. Everybody loves Dave Grohl.

36. BoozeBaron says:

Just saw this pop-up in my iTunes and cannot wait to listen to it … DAVE GROHL is a legend, and my idol (as are the Foo Fighters!) So stoked that Nerdist now includes ‘bands for geeks’… FTW so cool!

37. Three Toes of Fury says:

@RedRoomRecordings: thanks for the link, i quite liked the sound of “Video Diplomacy”. Good luck w the band!

@ JetPack: OOOOOO…you saw Foo Fighters with Bob Mould? color me jealous. I dig his stuff across the boards…his newest disc, Silver Age, is great…reminds me of the Sugar heyday. I caught the Foo Fighters last summer @ Summerfest and they played a super long show as well (sooo cool) which included: Dave geeking out as Rick Neilson form Cheap Trick loaned him his checkerboard guitar…they played a few great covers: Surrender, In the Flesh, and Breakdown.

Peace .n. “Cant play without mah guitar string!!!…plink”
    – Uncle Pecos on Tom n Jerry

3 Toes of “frogggy went a courtin he did riggght..crammbone” Fury

38. MichaelH says:

Someone else mentioned Dave Grohl walking the walk – I like hearing his thinking about playing in the garage, that must have lead to the youtube release of ‘Wasting Light’ played live in a garage.

Really cool, and you better believe I went and bought the album the moment it finished to support him doing something cool like that.

39. Jacob says:

So this was my first time listening to the Nerdist, and I was completely surprised and excited to hear Anamanaguchi in the intro! Dave Grohl is amazing and I will definitely be listening again.

40. AWESOME – Downloading now – as a recording guy I’m super stoked about this movie – if this interview is 1% as epic as your Tom Morello interview I’ll be a fan for life.

If any of my fellow rocker-nerds are looking for something to occupy their caffeinated while they anxiously await the release of Sound City, I recently recorded a “Swamp Rock” band in a solar powered cottage (designed and built by the band) in the woods of northern Ontario.

Click on my name in this post to check out their debut single.

Sorry for the shameless self promo but it’s loosely related – The guys met Dave Grohl last year and he told them the key to success in music these days is:

a) doing something different (like the Sound City docu. and associated gigs), and;

b) using the interwebz to market it (like this interview, and all the other constant stream of info about Sound City on Twitter/FB etc.)

Dave definitely walks the walk.

41. Jeremy M says:

Great episode! Grohl is a musical hero and it’s awesome to hear him be so candid!

42. TBMachine says:

A-MAZING Interview. One of my favorite you’ve had on Nerdist. Great job, Chris and Co. Thank you Dave Grohl for continuing to rock, and make great music. I can’t wait to see Sound City.

43. JetpackBlues says:

@3ToF: Agreed. I was fortunate enough to see Dave and the Foo Fighters play in front of his hometown crowd in 2011. It was a 3 hour show. Bob Mould came on during the encore to play “Dear Rosemary” and Foo’s cover of Tom Petty’s “Breakdown.”

44. shane says:

Dave is amazing………could listen to him all day/night!!

45. JetpackBlues says:

Fantastic interview. I love Dave. I could have listened to more with him, but thanks for the time you were able to get with him.

Movie plays one night (tomorrow) in the area and I’ll be out of town. Thankfully I can buy it on iTunes and take it with me.

I remember not being able to get tix to that 9:30 Club reunion show. They were only available by lottery and notification came only if you were on the mailing list. The first band (Tiny Desk Unit) and last band (Trouble Funk) to play @ 930 F St NW (the old location that Dave was referring to) were there, Clutch, Rollins, Dave, Bob Mould, etc.

Question: Were Josh Wolf’s balls being dragged over a mic during this? (Chelsea reference) What was that strange sound?

Not bitching, not criticizing, just curious.

46. Steve Schafer says:

YOU GUYS JUST WON THE INTERNET!!! Dave Grohl is not only one of my favorite musicians but he is so fucking funny as well! THANK YOU FOR DOING THIS PODCAST GAHHHHHHH!!!

47. Kevin says:

I love Grohl, I always felt he would be the kind of guy you could go to a strip club with and feel the requisite amount of guilt afterwards.

48. Three Toes of Fury says:

Hardwick you magnificient b@stard….PHENOM podcast. Dave Grohl would be on my top 5 “folks living that i’d like to have dinner with”…or, in his case, “folks living that i’d like to hang out at a bar with”. The guy has always come across as funny, entertaining, amazing musician, humble, and just down-to-earth-cool. His appearances on recent podcasts like this one and Marons only solidifies that fact. It also really brings to light his strongest attribute: pure enthusiastic passion. The guy is just passionate about music..all music. He might seem a weird “get” for nerdist, but once you learn about this quest for the sound board and history behind Sound City (cant WAIT to see the doc), you’ll realize he’s a pefect fit.

Peace .n.
    ……………….”If music be the food of love, Play on;
    ……………….Give me excess of it…”
    ……………………………………..Duke Orsino, Shakespeare, 12th Night, 1602

3ToF

(PS: I highly suggest catching a Foo Fighters concert if you get the chance…they reallllly put on an amazing show and bring alot for the fans. Grohl connects with the audience big time).

49. Patrick says:

oh man this interview is SO GOOD. I love his motivations. You have to let yourself fail or else you won’t do anything!

50. Chris says:

Holy fucking shit balls fucktastical.
    Mr.Hardwick, you and the Nerdist gang do great work.