Brent Spiner

Nerdist Podcast: Brent Spiner

The guys interrogate each other live in Phoenix, Arizona! And Brent Spiner joins the show to talk about deciding between Night Court and Star Trek, cop shows in the 1970’s, and the art of doing impressions!

Make sure to check out Brent’s show Fresh Hell!

Comments

1. Sean says:

This is hands-down the funniest episode of the show I’ve heard. Bring back Brent as often as possible!

2. Josh says:

@Doc: Word. It’s definitely great when people like to engage in creative conversation. Riffing. Philosophy. Whatever. I mean, when you think about it, when you really thi — wait a minute, this is the 51st post. Crap. This is going to start a whole new page! With that “older comments” arrow thingy link and everything! Shit. *pant pant* Crap. What do I say? What do I do??

Uh, h-hello folks. Welcome to the Nerdist podcast. This is a great episode. A lot of laughs. A sick-ass Patrick Stewart impression — you’ll see, you’ll see. So go ‘head! Download and enter Data. You’ll be glad you did. *bing!*

3. I doth thinketh you giveth me too much credit, sir, but thank you.

I think that everyone who posts here that resists the urge to blanket the earth with verbal feces every time they come across something they don’t agree with deserves the credit for creating this environment. I know that the cocksuckery of typical internet brattiness in the comments section of this board has been a pain point for a lot of people, Chris especially, and I just got tired of adopting the attitude that everyone’s entitled to their opinion however uninformed or spoiled it may be and however shittily it’s expressed.

4. Josh says:

@Chris Hardwick: “What are you trying to do here, make the Internet grow up or something???” … Call it, “The Quemmento Effect”. (c:

5. Patty Marvel says:

Quote from Chris – “Also–being from the part of the country I grew up in–the extra-hardcore “Merica fuck yeah!” folks tended to be the “no gays in my house!” or casual users of the N word folks. Not always! But a lot of the time. So I guess I’m making fun of them if I were to really think about it.”

I see we’ve met the same people, though mine also tended to look down their noses at someone who was Catholic (if they themselves weren’t) OR who was NOT Catholic (if they themselves were). *SIGH* Bigots suck.

6. It was so great to be at this show, especially since I couldn’t make the Minneapolis one! Brent was hilarious, I was literally crying from laughing so hard a few times. It’s a little strange to listen to it now when I was there for it live.

But anyways, glad Chris enjoyed the shirt I gave him between shows, wish I could’ve gone to both. Didn’t see him around at Comicon the next day, but had a great time anyways!

7. Johnny says:

Anyone able to find the pilot for Sylvan in Paradise? I can’t.

8. Chris Hardwick says:

@Scott: I’m a comedian, and this is a comedy show (though I’m sure some would disagree, and they tell me so on Twitter). If this were a lecture, then maybe you’d have a point, but you just can’t take most of what we say too seriously. If you dissected any comedy, at the core of it you’d find something offensive to someone. Comedy relieves tension and is about dealing with stuff. Sometimes it’s also used to shock. Ultimately though, you are truly wasting your energy being bummed out by silly jokes. I am not anti-American, and I think it’s great to be patriotic. I am anti “I’m gonna shove my fuckin beliefs in your fuckin face and if you don’t share the same beliefs then FUCK YOU.” Also–being from the part of the country I grew up in–the extra-hardcore “Merica fuck yeah!” folks tended to be the “no gays in my house!” or casual users of the N word folks. Not always! But a lot of the time. So I guess I’m making fun of them if I were to really think about it.

And thanks again all for being sweet and maturely expressing your opinons. What are you trying to do here, make the Internet grow up or something???

Hugs.

9. Josh says:

@Scott, Oh, and by the way, I think the reason why no one got riled by what you said in your first post is that you totally came across as sincere and not complainy but as an honest dude with an opinion. Sort of like, “Hey, I’m kind of feeling this way, what does everybody think?” Can’t speak for @Patty or @Doc (those two are awesome in their OWN rites!), but I didn’t read your comment as trolling even at all. No worries — I think in both posts you came across great!

10. Josh says:

@Scott — Thanks for posting back! I think I see where you’re coming from. Times are tough and piling-on is piling-on… Still, it’s my opinion that most of the talent here on Nerdist (including @Chris Hardwick) do a good job accentuating the difference between comedic riffs (where almost anything can be said) and serious talk (where we want to hear, at least somewhat, what the interviewers and interviewees really think). They were clearly riffing on the “America, Fuck Yeah!” stuff. One of the things I love the most about guys like @Chris Hardwick is that he clearly is jazzed by everything he has done, and has never taken for granted the opportunities he’s been given. To me, that’s plenty patriotic.

I remember talking to a Marine Corps friend of mine who said something like (paraphrasing here): You know, when I come home from ‘over there’ (Afghanistan in his case) I find myself so angry at places like supermarkets and malls. We have so much shit, and most Americans don’t appreciate it. But then I realize that the reason I KNOW most American’s don’t appreciate what we have is that I used to not appreciate what we have. All I want is to get back to that place — where I can walk into a mall, be thankful in the far corners of my mind for where I live, and otherwise not think about it. This is America, you know? The place where a peaceful life of opportunity is so ingrained and expected, it’s taken for granted. And you know what? Why shouldn’t it be?

Dude freakin’ blew my mind. And changed my life with that perspective. Some things really ought to be common and taken for granted. Gotta love those Marines. Rottweiler philosophers, the lot of ‘em!

#hoorah #arewesurethisisn’ttwitter?

11. QballDude says:

Brent is very funny, and Fresh Hell is awesome!

12. Scott S says:

I’m not saying that Chris is anti-American, and I agree with all comments relating to my original post, and appreciate that no one got too riled by it. Some of the things that come out of Chris’s mouth during podcasts seems kind of extreme, but I think it’s part of a role that he plays while he’s on mic, and he obviously can’t go into all his feelings about everything on air.. It’s just part of being in a great country, that’s having trouble, and an expanding world. Just trying to let him know my how I’ve been struck lately.

13. Patty Marvel says:

@Doctor Quemmento – You, good sir, clearly have a creamy, nougat-y center of awesomeness!

14. @Patty
    By the way to answer your earlier question:
    It’s hard to remember exactly, but off the top of my head I’d say that Quemments themselves made their illustrious debut on the podcast on episode 66 (a.k.a. hostful episode 6 entitled ‘Nerd Clusters’) at 52:28, but the Quemment Song itself appears to have been birthed by method of spontaneous generation in episode 68 (a.k.a. hostful episode 7 entitled ‘Bulging Disc’) at the 32:38 mark.

15. Aaron says:

Gotta love Brent Spiner, but you should have asked him about chatting up Steven Hawking.

Also, I want to know his thoughts on pointy sideburns.

16. Josh says:

“#&%&$!!!”

That’s a cartoon character tweeting a hashtag curse on the funny pages.

17. Josh says:

@Doc ha!

hashtag#

Wait, is that how it works? Sorry, not on Twitter. #hashtagsarehard

18. @Josh Oh…well you…I…you see…hadn’t so much…considered that…possibilty…as it were.

@Justin Sir, if you were joking then I humbly apologize. Go unfuck yourself. But if you weren’t joking then my previous post stands.

#BasesCovered #Duality #ThisStillIsntTwitter

19. Shane says:

I had a great time at this show!

20. Josh says:

Btw, only after a second of military talk do I notice that “Spiner” is a switched ‘n’ and ‘p’ from “Sniper”. Cooooooooooooooool. Sounds about right, though. The guy can hit his Patrick Stewart impression from a mile away!

21. Josh says:

@Scott — ditto on @Doc and @Patty’s comments to you. And also, not sure of your background (obvees!), but I’m a (relatively recently) retired officer (O-3) from the U.S. Navy and I can tell you, without an ounce of doubt, that irreverence is incredibly important in a country such as ours’. I have friends who put their lives in serious danger every day AND I think “America, Fuck Yeah!” was a hilarious song. And not only that, but some of the people most pissed off at our country are a number of my military friends — anger and irreverence does not connote a lack of love or appreciation! So no harm no foul as far as I’m concerned, @Chris Hardwick! Make fun of our great nation and the people who love it as much as you want! It’s important, and good for us.

@Doc Do you think maybe @Justin was joking? I kinda maybe thought he was joking… Seems like he was joking… I mean, can anyone really be THAT serious about — wait, wait, this is the nerdist site, and these are Trekkies we’re talking about. Shit. @Matt Mira! Maybe think about getting a body guard?

@Justin, Seriously, were you joking? Or, did it really bother you that Matt Mira got the date wrong? I wouldn’t call myself a “Trekkie”, but I do love Star Trek, and I think I’d have some trouble remembering much of anything if I met Data in person, wouldn’t you?

22. Wingardium Leviosa!!!

Damn. I guess that only works on trolls in the Harry Potter universe.

Justin have you ever been wrong about anything in your life ever? Then shut the fuck up!

23. Justin Olson says:

I like how Matt Mira was touting himself over and over as the biggest TNG fan… and yet when Spiner says he was on the Tonight Show during TNG’s second season on Oscar night and then speculates it was probably 1988, Mira corrects him and says it was definitely 1987.

Actually, it would have been Wednesday, March 29, 1989 and just airing that week would have been “The Royale.” Suck it, Mira! :^ )

S

Suck it, Mira!

24. Patty Marvel says:

@Scott – I always assumed that *anyone* cracking on the *’Merica, Fuck YEAH crowd were poking fun at their jingoism rather than at someone who was merely patriotic or at the country itself. It’s sort of like poking fun at the person who takes the pride they have in their ethnic background as an excuse to believe everyone else’s sucks. There’s pride, and then there’s hubris that turns you into a douche bag.

My two cents. YMMV.

25. @Scott
    I can’t speak for him, but I don’t think it’s people who are proud to be American that are being made fun of here. I think it’s people who are white, proud to be American, and think you’re not American (or shouldn’t be) if you’re not white. In other words, people who are ethnocentric rather than patriotic.

But I could be wrong. It’s happened once or twice.

26. Scott S says:

This is the second episode recently that Chris made it sound like you shouldn’t be proud to be an American. I think he’s letting it get out of hand, believing that no one else exists on the planet’s no good, but denying that we are a good country’s not a good thing either.

27. Chad H says:

Non stop laughter, I love Brent, not just from Star trek but I remember him from Night Court as well. Still have to get LeVar on the show.

28. Patty Marvel says:

This question is a little off-topic, but maybe some kind, understanding soul will answer it for me. In which Nerdist episode do we first get the Quemment song? I ask because I didn’t start listening until #178 with They Might Be Giants because I thought this would just be tech talk like Chris did on AOTS. Anyhow, I’ve been listening regularly since then (and LOVING the show and some of the feedback in the comment section), but I’m only up to #42 (Brian Posehn) in the back catalog. So…can someone help a girl out? I just want to hear the origin story. Thanks!

29. Taylor (the girl kind) says:

I was laughing histerically in the girls bathroom. Yep, I am a nerd :)

30. Nicole Marie says:

This was one of the best celebrity interviews that the Nerdist has done!

31. YES! Brent Spiner! I love you so much! Total geekgasm ensues! Chris, you really need to do a whole Star Trek panel. So great!!!

32. toonsmyth says:

You know, CBS is doing a US version of Doctor Who…. Doctor Who C.S.I. eeeeyAAAAAAAAHHHH!

33. JetpackBlues says:

@Derek – My comment was analogous to semen.

@Doctor Quemmento – Aww shit, somebody got the reference! *highfive*

This show was an hour of smiles. Now, I demand you bring me the 10pm show with Wil Wheaton! *clap, clap*

34. Lara N says:

Oh yes, Mr. Spiner is, as ever, freshly entertaining and witty! Mr. Data was certainly not his peak – he’s still going strong! Thanks for bringing us this podcast.

And I’m with Hannah in the comment above – PLEASE consider doing a podcast with Benedict Cumberbatch or Martin Freeman – or one of each!

35. Hannah says:

Brent Spiner was amazing and hilarious.

Not gonna lie, when he mentioned Benedict Cumberbatch I probably made the same face as the girl in the audience. If you had him on the podcast it would pretty much make my life.

36. Rick Michika says:

Loved the shows up in Phoenix! First one was awesome and the second one was phenomenal, hope the second one makes it onto the podcast listings, I would love to hear them both again.

37. After careful consideration and weighing all the evidence I must come to the conclusion that this episode was one of the best. Now I must insert a second sentence referencing something funny that occurred during this episode as proof that I listened to it and that I am ultra-cool… … um… aha! *holds envelope to turban* The Tonight Show and Angie Dickinson … *rip* … name two things that Johnny Carson was in.

38. Rachel says:

When you were saying lil’ you i was imagining a chibi version of you. :)

39. Josh says:

@Doc lol right though? Matt all but asked to be his emotion chip. I can’t blame him. I would’ve wanted to crawl up inside him too. I mean, the guy was in Independence Day! Nerdist fans everywhere gerspermed when they saw Brent Spiner was on this week.

What a great episode! I’m jealous of all you who got to be there live! Brent Spiner is hilarious — and his Patrick Stewart impressions and stories were especially phenomenal.

40. Cmonnowsrsly says:

Thanks for coming to Phoenix, guys. It was a whole lot of fun. Also, thanks for answering my Walking The Room question. Looking forward to that podcast whenever the details get worked out. I’m a little bummed I couldn’t afford the Wil Wheaton show afterwards. I’m sure it got pretty rowdy.

41. @Josh that = of which
    Dammit, I did it too.

42. @JetpackBlues Because aliens ate my Buick…and my Audi R8. :D

@Josh Was it just me or did it seem like Matt really wanted to enter Data?

This episode was amazing, but my opinion may be biased as a shameless gushing horrible TNG fan. Even if Brent hadn’t been funny, Big C has a knack for bringing out the funny in people, but Brent turned out to have some of the best riffs in the show. I hereby, on this thirtieth day of May, in the year of our Lord two thousand and twelve make a solemn promise to Brent Spiner that I will watch Fresh Hell,a show that I have been, hitherto, ignorant.

43. JetpackBlues says:

*GASP* *SQUEE!*

Little rivers of anticipation are running down my inseam because I haven’t listened to this yet! But I know it will be AWESOME!

44. Nicole Thorn says:

You cut out the part with Kenny…

45. Josh says:

threat = thread.

crap. might’ve been a good one.

46. Josh says:

Alright, fine. I’ll say it… Looking forward to downloading Data!

Sheesh. Was that line the elephant on the comment threat or what???

47. Joe Ho says:

This was the first ever episode of the Nerdist Podcast I listened to and I’m so glad it was. Brent was just great and his Patrick Stewart impression was definitely #2 of all time. Thanks for the show guys, can’t wait to check out more!

48. Trinidad says:

Finally seeing the podcast in person after listening for so long was surreal. I had the most wonderful time. Thank you for coming to Phoenix.

49. Derek Harju says:

Thank you guys so much for an amazing show. Haven’t had that much fun in months, Brent Spiner was amazing. I would have been happy just to see the show, getting on stage to quemment thanks to the short mic cords was rad. Having chris see my junk was just gravy.. uh… not gravy… icing on the… damnit, sure there must be a thing that tops another thing, but isn’t analogous to semen.

50. Patty Marvel says:

Never has commie hunting been so funny. Oh, and FIRSTIES! So there.