Ben Schwartz

Nerdist Podcast: Ben Schwartz

Ben Schwartz hangs out with Chris, Matt and Jonah to talk about his show House of Lies and their favorite theme songs, and to play a game with sound effects!

Comments

1. Writefast says:

Oh god, PLEASE get a live foley artist on staff! PLEEEEEEASE!!

2. chrislay5 says:

I feel like we should all mass tweet our problems to Ben with #blessed…. Just so he knows how much we enjoyed him.

#blessed

3. This was a fantastic podcast. Chis is such a child. I say that in a very positive way because I have a feeling most Nerdist fans never lost their inner child. Life is more fun when you look at it with childlike wonder.

4. Patty Marvel says:

@JetpackBlues – Well, yeah…didn’t want to break the chain…

Happy New Pope Day!

5. Ren says:

Ok now I love Ben, do me please. #blessed

6. Ren says:

I think everyone is in love with Ben.

7. JetpackBlues says:

@Patty: *Citizen Kane clap*

Ironic that a #blessed tag is coming from you. 😆

8. Atticus says:

Great show as usual but..

Matt went to take a phone call with Arthur Darvill? Get him on the podcast! Or on the show. Or both!

9. Johnothan Pedak says:

I’ve never enjoyed his work. But I will give this a listen to see if it is only the roles he plays that I find objectionable.

10. Patty Marvel says:

Thank you, kind and learn-ed gentlemen, for another fine podcast.

I’m out.

11. Patty Marvel says:

If you were stranded on a deserted island with the cast of “Alf,” who would you lick first?

One…

12. Patty Marvel says:

Do you think if Chris, Jonah and Matt rubbed their beards together, they could start a fire? Or would that do something magnificent, such as open a portal to a land where everything was made of chocolate chip cookies?

Two more…

13. Patty Marvel says:

Ben Schwartz is a prolific writer! Seriously, look at all the stuff he’s done: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Schwartz

Three more…

14. Patty Marvel says:

True story – “Mira” is also the name of “a star in the constellation Cetus.” No wonder he’s into NASA and all things space-y. Even Kevin Spacey!

Four more to go…

15. Patty Marvel says:

No red-blooded American will forget where they were the day Ben Schwartz told us about the heartbreak of…[DRAMATIC PAUSE]…”butt chugging.”

16. Patty Marvel says:

What if you could mash-up bowling and karaoke? How would you do that? Maybe hold the microphone in one hand while you threw the ball overhand with the other? Hey, look! A butterfly! WHEEEE!!!!

(For those listening while on mushrooms.)

Six…

17. Patty Marvel says:

OH MY GAWD WHAT WUZ WITH THE KEYS AND SHIAT I MEAN WHAT THE HELL WAS HARDWICK DOING THEM SHAKING THEM ALL THE TIME THAT WUZ WORSE THAN THAT FUKKING SOUNDBOARD I HATE THIS FREE CONTENT I PUT IN MY EARHOLES THREE TIMES A WEEK!!!!!!!

(That was the mean one.)

18. Patty Marvel says:

I’ve never met Kyle the intern, but I bet he’s a fine piece of ass.

Eight…

19. Patty Marvel says:

Hey, everybody! Shamrock Shakes are back!!!!

(Okay, that’s the comment that has NOTHING to do with the podcast.)

20. Patty Marvel says:

By Grabthar’s hammer, J. J. Abrams SHOULD make a Star Wars/Star Trek mash-up!!! Why not? The president already did!

Ten…

21. Patty Marvel says:

Jonah Ray’s name is an anagram for TWENTY-THREE words and phrases, many of which sound like delicious items on a Chinese menu.

22. Patty Marvel says:

Don Cheadle is one of our nation’s finest actors and clearly deserves having enough awards and statues to play chess with.

Twelve…

23. Patty Marvel says:

A “House of Lies” bowling team sounds like a splendiferous idea!

24. Patty Marvel says:

Matt Mira’s presence was missed in the latter half of the podcast because he is as cuddly as a panda bear!

Fourteen…

25. Patty Marvel says:

“Kick the Can” sounds like a fine idea for a video game!

26. Patty Marvel says:

Ah, yes, falling asleep to something you’ve watched a million times. Splendid idea! May I recommend the MST3K version of “Hamlet” for that very purpose?

Sixteen…

27. Patty Marvel says:

Ben did a fine job guest-hosting the Titanic, um, “Attack of the Show.”

28. Patty Marvel says:

Jonah was right to bring up Jello Biafra alongside Fred Schneider. Now I’m hearing the two men doing a rap battle inside my head. Um, thanks?

Eighteen more…

29. Patty Marvel says:

Dani – “i feel like i should keep commenting nice stuff until you get to 41 comments.. great stuff guys!

#blessed”

You have a point. I’ll add….

Ben sounds very pleasant and should do voice-overs for ice cream commercials.

#blessed

Okay, only nineteen more to go…

30. Dani says:

31. C says:

Things I learned from this podcast: Ben Schwartz is currently single. #blessed

32. Rokku says:

Yes, “Soapdish” *is* fucking awesome.

33. Patty Marvel says:

@Arabrabra – Agreed. Happy to have more yummy podcast-y goodness!

BTW, Jello Biafra is THE MAN. Here’s my favorite song by The Dead Kennedys…

“Stealing People’s Mail”

And here he is speaking on “Oprah” regarding the PMRC and Tipper Gore. I remember watching this and being stunned this could happen in a country with the First Amendment.

May the Schwartz be with You,
    Patty

34. Dani says:

I just found this page at work and I am so excited about it, I can no longer function. Ben Schwartz is hilarious, I love him as Jean-Ralphio and in the Jake and Amir shorts…. I only wish he would revisit the UCB in New York so I can see him live. I am smitten…

35. tonistokes529 says:

The whole podcast was awesome but I was laughing so hard at the song in the last 30 seconds.

36. Amanda says:

I didn’t think it was possible to laugh for about 80 minutes straight. Ben is amazing and so is House of Lies.

But you need more cowbell.

37. Rich Altacho says:

The only way this would have been better is if Ben did this whole interview as Jean-Ralphio.

38. amysrevenge says:

Now that I’m a dad, I don’t have enough time to paint and play with my Warhammer toys. I blame House of Lies. #blessed

39. Samual Powers says:

Saved by the Bell: The New Class was worse than Saved by the Bell.

40. Arabrabra says:

Also, just wanted to say, if the show is organically going longer than an hour, just let it go! I would have listened to another hour and I feel like Ben wanted that. I completely understand not every eppy would be better longer, but some….I feel like should be allowed to go. NOT A NEGATIVE COMMENT ABOUT FREE CONTENT. Just an opinion :) #blessed

41. Arabrabra says:

He is just the best. This is my new favorite. He is so quick and funny. Real LOL’s

42. Wildride says:

Is it true that if you XOR any two of House of Lies, House of Cards and The Lying Game, you get the third?

43. Ryan says:

Every time Ben Schwartz is on a podcast, is ALWAYS delightful. If you’re ever missing someone for a Hostful you should have him drop in!

44. Nick says:

the keys got me every time and the last 5 minutes were gold

45. Sean says:

Nerdist needs to get the rest of the Parks and Rec cast!

46. Kevin says:

I think we’ve found Matt’s replacement!!

Wait, what??!!

Seriously, Ben needs to come back every week. I love him on House Of Cards.

47. Claymantonson says:

I ENJOYED THIS!!! You guys should get Adam Scott on. I’m currently going through writers block, live alone, and hate gas prices. #blessed.

48. nate says:

Michael Giacchino!!!!

49. I’m quite excited for this. Ben Schwartz DESTROYS whenever he shows up on Jake and Amir episodes (or Hardly Workings). I watch those episodes over again periodically because they just don’t stop being hilarious. The characters, the mannerisms, the improv/writing, all just so good. And I’m looking forward to hearing him in a more serious (or at least less character-driven) conversation.

50. Vanessa says: