Ben Schwartz

Nerdist Podcast: Ben Schwartz

Ben Schwartz hangs out with Chris, Matt and Jonah to talk about his show House of Lies and their favorite theme songs, and to play a game with sound effects!

Don’t Trust These New GAME OF THRONES Images

Don’t Trust These New GAME OF THRONES Images

article
David Bowie's BLACKSTAR LP Transforms When Exposed to the Sun

David Bowie's BLACKSTAR LP Transforms When Exposed to the Sun

article
Did GAME OF THRONES Just Confirm the Ultimate Fan Theory?

Did GAME OF THRONES Just Confirm the Ultimate Fan Theory?

video

Comments

1. Writefast says:

Oh god, PLEASE get a live foley artist on staff! PLEEEEEEASE!!

2. chrislay5 says:

I feel like we should all mass tweet our problems to Ben with #blessed…. Just so he knows how much we enjoyed him.

#blessed

3. This was a fantastic podcast. Chis is such a child. I say that in a very positive way because I have a feeling most Nerdist fans never lost their inner child. Life is more fun when you look at it with childlike wonder.

4. Patty Marvel says:

@JetpackBlues – Well, yeah…didn’t want to break the chain…

Happy New Pope Day!

5. Ren says:

Ok now I love Ben, do me please. #blessed

6. Ren says:

I think everyone is in love with Ben.

7. JetpackBlues says:

@Patty: *Citizen Kane clap*

Ironic that a #blessed tag is coming from you. 😆

8. Atticus says:

Great show as usual but..

Matt went to take a phone call with Arthur Darvill? Get him on the podcast! Or on the show. Or both!

9. Johnothan Pedak says:

I’ve never enjoyed his work. But I will give this a listen to see if it is only the roles he plays that I find objectionable.

10. Patty Marvel says:

Thank you, kind and learn-ed gentlemen, for another fine podcast.

I’m out.

11. Patty Marvel says:

If you were stranded on a deserted island with the cast of “Alf,” who would you lick first?

One…

12. Patty Marvel says:

Do you think if Chris, Jonah and Matt rubbed their beards together, they could start a fire? Or would that do something magnificent, such as open a portal to a land where everything was made of chocolate chip cookies?

Two more…

13. Patty Marvel says:

Ben Schwartz is a prolific writer! Seriously, look at all the stuff he’s done: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Schwartz

Three more…

14. Patty Marvel says:

True story – “Mira” is also the name of “a star in the constellation Cetus.” No wonder he’s into NASA and all things space-y. Even Kevin Spacey!

Four more to go…

15. Patty Marvel says:

No red-blooded American will forget where they were the day Ben Schwartz told us about the heartbreak of…[DRAMATIC PAUSE]…”butt chugging.”

16. Patty Marvel says:

What if you could mash-up bowling and karaoke? How would you do that? Maybe hold the microphone in one hand while you threw the ball overhand with the other? Hey, look! A butterfly! WHEEEE!!!!

(For those listening while on mushrooms.)

Six…

17. Patty Marvel says:

OH MY GAWD WHAT WUZ WITH THE KEYS AND SHIAT I MEAN WHAT THE HELL WAS HARDWICK DOING THEM SHAKING THEM ALL THE TIME THAT WUZ WORSE THAN THAT FUKKING SOUNDBOARD I HATE THIS FREE CONTENT I PUT IN MY EARHOLES THREE TIMES A WEEK!!!!!!!

(That was the mean one.)

18. Patty Marvel says:

I’ve never met Kyle the intern, but I bet he’s a fine piece of ass.

Eight…

19. Patty Marvel says:

Hey, everybody! Shamrock Shakes are back!!!!

(Okay, that’s the comment that has NOTHING to do with the podcast.)

20. Patty Marvel says:

By Grabthar’s hammer, J. J. Abrams SHOULD make a Star Wars/Star Trek mash-up!!! Why not? The president already did!

Ten…

21. Patty Marvel says:

Jonah Ray’s name is an anagram for TWENTY-THREE words and phrases, many of which sound like delicious items on a Chinese menu.

22. Patty Marvel says:

Don Cheadle is one of our nation’s finest actors and clearly deserves having enough awards and statues to play chess with.

Twelve…

23. Patty Marvel says:

A “House of Lies” bowling team sounds like a splendiferous idea!

24. Patty Marvel says:

Matt Mira’s presence was missed in the latter half of the podcast because he is as cuddly as a panda bear!

Fourteen…

25. Patty Marvel says:

“Kick the Can” sounds like a fine idea for a video game!

26. Patty Marvel says:

Ah, yes, falling asleep to something you’ve watched a million times. Splendid idea! May I recommend the MST3K version of “Hamlet” for that very purpose?

Sixteen…

27. Patty Marvel says:

Ben did a fine job guest-hosting the Titanic, um, “Attack of the Show.”

28. Patty Marvel says:

Jonah was right to bring up Jello Biafra alongside Fred Schneider. Now I’m hearing the two men doing a rap battle inside my head. Um, thanks?

Eighteen more…

29. Patty Marvel says:

Dani – “i feel like i should keep commenting nice stuff until you get to 41 comments.. great stuff guys!

#blessed”

You have a point. I’ll add….

Ben sounds very pleasant and should do voice-overs for ice cream commercials.

#blessed

Okay, only nineteen more to go…

30. Dani says:

31. C says:

Things I learned from this podcast: Ben Schwartz is currently single. #blessed

32. Rokku says:

Yes, “Soapdish” *is* fucking awesome.

33. Patty Marvel says:

@Arabrabra – Agreed. Happy to have more yummy podcast-y goodness!

BTW, Jello Biafra is THE MAN. Here’s my favorite song by The Dead Kennedys…

“Stealing People’s Mail”

And here he is speaking on “Oprah” regarding the PMRC and Tipper Gore. I remember watching this and being stunned this could happen in a country with the First Amendment.

May the Schwartz be with You,
    Patty

34. Dani says:

I just found this page at work and I am so excited about it, I can no longer function. Ben Schwartz is hilarious, I love him as Jean-Ralphio and in the Jake and Amir shorts…. I only wish he would revisit the UCB in New York so I can see him live. I am smitten…

35. tonistokes529 says:

The whole podcast was awesome but I was laughing so hard at the song in the last 30 seconds.

36. Amanda says:

I didn’t think it was possible to laugh for about 80 minutes straight. Ben is amazing and so is House of Lies.

But you need more cowbell.

37. Rich Altacho says:

The only way this would have been better is if Ben did this whole interview as Jean-Ralphio.

38. amysrevenge says:

Now that I’m a dad, I don’t have enough time to paint and play with my Warhammer toys. I blame House of Lies. #blessed

39. Samual Powers says:

Saved by the Bell: The New Class was worse than Saved by the Bell.

40. Arabrabra says:

Also, just wanted to say, if the show is organically going longer than an hour, just let it go! I would have listened to another hour and I feel like Ben wanted that. I completely understand not every eppy would be better longer, but some….I feel like should be allowed to go. NOT A NEGATIVE COMMENT ABOUT FREE CONTENT. Just an opinion :) #blessed

41. Arabrabra says:

He is just the best. This is my new favorite. He is so quick and funny. Real LOL’s

42. Wildride says:

Is it true that if you XOR any two of House of Lies, House of Cards and The Lying Game, you get the third?

43. Ryan says:

Every time Ben Schwartz is on a podcast, is ALWAYS delightful. If you’re ever missing someone for a Hostful you should have him drop in!

44. Nick says:

the keys got me every time and the last 5 minutes were gold

45. Sean says:

Nerdist needs to get the rest of the Parks and Rec cast!

46. Kevin says:

I think we’ve found Matt’s replacement!!

Wait, what??!!

Seriously, Ben needs to come back every week. I love him on House Of Cards.

47. Claymantonson says:

I ENJOYED THIS!!! You guys should get Adam Scott on. I’m currently going through writers block, live alone, and hate gas prices. #blessed.

48. nate says:

Michael Giacchino!!!!

49. I’m quite excited for this. Ben Schwartz DESTROYS whenever he shows up on Jake and Amir episodes (or Hardly Workings). I watch those episodes over again periodically because they just don’t stop being hilarious. The characters, the mannerisms, the improv/writing, all just so good. And I’m looking forward to hearing him in a more serious (or at least less character-driven) conversation.

50. Vanessa says: