Alton Brown

Nerdist Podcast: Alton Brown

Alton Brown sits down with Matt and Chris to talk all things food and cooking! They also talk about Doctor Who, of course, and how Alton flies his own planes!

Click on the banner to shop at Amazon.com and support the show!

Comments

1. Kirk Griffin says:

I love how many times Alton has said “why is that funny”

2. Patty Marvel says:

@mgasp – Kinda made me think of Beaker speaking, but that’s more of a “MEEP.” Like this:

@Chris Hardwick – So which Nerdist show did you pitch for TV? I assume Celebrity Bowling as that one has a rotating cast of famous people to draw in non-nerd viewers. Or the Scat TV. Whichever. Anyway, I’ve wondered about the practicality of YouTube shows reairing on cable channels, which would mean more fans / viewers / ad revenue for the content providers and premade, pre-proven content for the cable channels. I’ve no idea why some suit wouldn’t be all over that, but apparently rerunning the bejesus out of “COPS” or some such thing is easier.

As for “associative dieting,” I’ve heard of something like that for non-food items. One of my relatives gave up drinking and smoking at the same time and she says people are astonished by this, but it made perfect sense to her as she always did one with the other. And despite what I’ve heard on this podcast and elsewhere, I *STILL* want to try a Cinnabon just once in my life. I may need three friends to help me eat it if the rumors are true, but dangit I want that experience…

And I’m SO looking forward to the mash-up of Alton Brown on “the science show based in San Francisco.” It’s MYTHBUSTERS, people! Set your DVRs ‘cuz it’s a farking mash-up of nerd win! It’s as if farking Paul McCartney recording a farking single with farking Mick Jagger! But nerdy!

FARK!

3. JetpackBlues says:

God I’m craving chicken-fried broccoli right now….

4. Bev says:

I have always loved AB. You keep blowing my expectations out of the water/reading my mind and somehow knowing exactly what I am obsessed with. Sir, I challenge you to one-up my expectations once more!

5. Zuri says:

I crave broccoli. Cooked deliciously but seriously if I’ve been eating only junk food, I feel sick and only feel better if I’ve had veggies.

6. lookleftandsmile says:

his new show sounds AMAZING (the food investigation one)!

i HATE chocolate to the point if even a little bit of it is unknowingly in my food / drink i immediately spit it out. this isn’t a choice like ‘hmm i think this taste nasty” – it’s a physical biological reaction. it has been this way since I was a kid.

occasionally I also crave kimchi ( I am not korean & it was not part of my palette growing up).

i hope there is also an episode about “food memory” too!

7. three toes of fury says:

Rob……genius move cutting and ring-tone’ing Alton dropping the F’bomb!!! well played sir…well played indeed!

3ToF

8. Mike says:

Ahhhh, my food hero on Nerdist! It was only a matter of time! Honestly, this dude more than any other makes me understand cooking and food better than anything else I’ve seen or read. Plus the stuff he comes up with as alternative ways of fixing things up (see the above example of the beef jerky system). I’m glad ya had him on! And can’t wait to see the DorkFork this week.

9. Chad H says:

Hey Chris, have you ever thought about going into the hour and a half or two hour format? Sometimes it would be great to have a longer session with some guests, hell Rogan and Kevin Smith go about three hours most of the time and I can still listen to all of it. Just a thought love the show been listening since #1 and have enjoyed all of them. :D

10. ericmci says:

Chris- How do feel about some of Apples “borrowing” history.
    Like the fact that almost any apple product own A Lot to Braun.
    As in blatant copies oh how many of their products?
    Another being the original ipod menu system was derived from Microsoft’s Card system.
    Or any of the court proven infringements apple commited against HTC.
    If apple wasn’t literraly one of the worst offenders in this kind f crime I might be more supportive of this decision.
    What happened here was the richest company had the best lawyers and has for some time.

11. Three Toes of Fury says:

woo hoo! Nerdist score’s another 3ToF hero!

Alton is amazing. Good Eats is an endlessly wonderful show…it makes cooking fun and experimentive! The entire run of the show has been compressed into 3 AMAZING books…you cant call them cookbooks because they are so much more. They are the only cooking themed books that ive ever read cover-to-cover as, regardless of the dish or food subject, each section is full of really interesting and funny funny stuff. And the food is amazing…..Alton saved my @ss during the first thanksgiving that i hosted for my family (mmmm mmmm brined turkey). One of these days i MUST try his box-fan-combined-with-furnace-filter system for making home made beef jerky!

Thanks Chris…and THANKS ALTON!!!!!! You put the FUN in F(un)ood!!!!

Peace and thats just….(wait for it)……Good Eats

3TOF.

12. Johnny says:

Hey Chris, try a chai tea misto if you’re worried about sugar/calories. They taste similar and are better for you. They’re basically 2 tea bags in half a cup of hot water then they top it off with steamed milk. Then you can sweeten it to taste.

13. It freaks me out in an awesome way that Alton sounds like Dr.Venture :)

Great podcast!

14. Rob says:

I just downloaded this so i could cut out Alton’s “Shut the f@ck up” and it is now a txt notification on my Android! Love it!!

15. rbk says:

Dude, that thing about aliens fattening humans up is a Twilight Zone episode, not a Doctor Who Episode. It’s even parodied in the Simpsons!

16. Mr Hardwick when you said Alton Brown was going to guest on a “Nerdist” cook show I was thinking why not have him pop up on the podcast. SYNERGY!

17. Myrrah says:

Alton, I sometimes crave broccoli. There.

18. Turducken says:

Alton Brown should create the aircraft version of Top Gear :P Immediately what I thought of when he said that networks think Aviation shows are too exclusive, Top Gear is the perfect example of a show that can please car enthusiasts and others.

19. TreehausOfJorge says:

Just finished and loved the episode, as usual guys!

Also, I geeked out when you guys started talking about how ‘aliens addicting us to terrible food so that we’re easier to conquer’ could be a whole TV show season… because that was the main arc last season on Supernatural. Just substitute “monsters” instead of “aliens”…

20. Popcorn Samurai says:

I was planning on requesting Alton as a guest if I ever met you guys at a live show.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

21. ani says:

The craving thing is something that really confuses me – I only crave (and I’m not trying to sound pretentious/holier-than-thou or whatever here) tahini, smoked tofu, greens, roasted winter squash and sometimes chickpeas/cucumbers. Oh, and salt. I eat a lot of salt. (And yet I’m healthy and have very low blood pressure.)
    I have no idea why I have these ‘unusual’ cravings, but they are there. Weird. Even weirder that I don’t like sweet foods, from an evolutionary standpoint.

Hi from Germany, btw :).

22. Eric says:

Um. I just. I’m kind of geeking out here. I need a moment. I just *tears flowing Cat Girl Youtube Video Style* love Alton Brown soooooo much! I want to hug him and thank you for everything!

That said, one thing he said reflects something I’ve been thinking for a while. Alton plays the Dr. Hatori role on Iron Chef BRILLIANTLY, but I always feel like I’m missing the Kenji Fukui position. Another person on the monitors with him (not just Kevin Brauch’s brilliant floor reporting).

Both Alton and Kevin have such similar feels to me that I want more of a foil. A different point of view that might not know quite so much for more color, though still highly respectful and knowledgeable in his own right.

23. Just finished the episode. Everything I wanted and more. It was pure awesomeness.

Also, is… Is “Myth Smashers” gonna be continued? On… On Mythbusters? #SQUEE!

24. e man says:

food of the gods

Grilled Gorgon Fanchette with Medusa marinara sauce
    Centaur stakes with Pholes fries
    Barbeque Calydonian Boar pulled pork sandwich
    chimera gyro
    minotaur ox tail soup
    broiled Karkinos with lemon and melted butter
    slow roasted Hippalectryon (half roaster, half hoarse) with rosemary and garlic potatoes

25. Rob says:

Why the fuck can I not load the podcast!? All I see is the stupid banner, theres no link for audio or video.

26. Joe Vichich says:

Thank you so much! I’ve been asking for AB for months!

27. amysrevenge says:

Very entertaining show guys. It’s hit after hit with you people.

28. Admiral Kent says:

The Living Daylights continues to hold a spot in my top 5 favorite Bond films. I was 18 when it came out and after growing up with lightweight Moore (although I love For Your Eyes Only), watching Dalton’s steely Bond setting up a sniper position to blow someone away…well…blew me away! (I hadn’t seen ANY of the Connery Bonds at that point.)

29. MrPookPook says:

Can we as a society PLEASE be over dieting? We don’t need to diet. Setting up foods as good (vegetables) and bad (breads) is what creates the desire for “bad” foods. We all want to rebel, and food rebellion is very easy.
    Instead of preaching the glories of dieting we should be questioning why we do it in the first place. The statistics surrounding obesity are skewed to make us seem fatter. The method used to determine obesity (BMI) is flawed to say the least and only takes into account height and weight, not age or muscle density or other conditions or even, you know, body fat percentage. Many body builders are considered obese because of this.
    The health risk that obesity poses is greatly exaggerated. Diabetes may be more common in fat people, but it is largely because they are the ones singled out for testing. It is just as common among people that the BMI considers to be the ideal weight.
    I was excited for a show with food nerds, but if it is going to be fat hating, I won’t be listening.

If anyone is interested in an alternate viewpoint to the Hate-Your-Body viewpoint that society at large seems to think is healthy, check out the blog Two Whole Cakes.

30. Ryan says:

Me and my 150 episodes of Good Eats have been dreaming of this moment.

Thanks to Alton I learned how to build a steak broiler out of a coal chimney! Cooks my porterhouse steaks a perfect medium rare. We call it “THE DEATH RAY” and we laugh maniacally when we cook.

31. Kierstyn says:

clarification on my last post:
    I am not saying animal husbandry is recent (as in five generation ago). I am saying it is recent (13,000 years, maybe) in terms of all of human evolution.

32. Kierstyn says:

sigh…that was awesome… my nerd worlds collided.

An observation about why we crave certain foods. I was surprised to hear Alton say that scientists hadn’t cracked this, because I thought this one was pretty much handled. Human beings have been hardwired for pretty much all of our evolution to seek out sweet and fatty foods. To a being living at subsistance level, small doses of concentrated fats and carbs were the fastest way to health, to put on some reserve mass to keep you alive through the lean times… And for all of human existance until maybe 5 generations ago, those kinds of foods were terrifically difficult to come by for most of the population. And the relative scarcity is what created the impulse to consume them. Think about it in historical terms – ripe fruits is not an all-year-round thing. You might come across a hive with wild honey, maybe. And natural fats are hard to come by and require work to extract (either through animal husbandry – a relatively recent phenomena – or through processing of plant oils).

It is only in the post-Industrial and transportation revolution era that we sit amidst a glut of sugars and fats, hence the obesity epidemic.

Check out Dr. David Kessler’s “the end of Overeating” – it’s a great companion to Tim Ferriss’s 4 Hour Body. Kessler (by providing LOTS of inf from neurological studfies) explains our bad eating behaviors and how to de-condition ourselves from them, and Ferriss sets you up with a new diet that works.

33. Cosine says:

Also… BEST EP EVER!

34. Jon says:

This was awesome. Thanks for making work fun today.

35. Curtis says:

THERE IT IS! I was waiting for the first person to come out and rage about the Apple v. Samsung conversation.

36. HOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAPHOLYCRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Words cannot describe how happy this makes me! Alton is one of my childhood idols (I still remember calling him “the cool guy with the crazy hair and glasses” in the very room I’m typing in around 10 years ago), and he’s one of the reasons- No no, THE REASON I got into cooking! Every time I need to cook something for a special occasion, I always grab one of the Good Eats cookbooks.

Even if you got Seth MacFarlane to come in and do a 5-hour podcast, I still wouldn’t be this happy! Hell, the only thing that’ll top this is if you could somehow, through black magic, get Howard Ashman on the podcast.

…. You can do that right?

37. Cosine says:

Ok, Chris, so if Samsung is in the wrong and Apple is god and got ripped off…. wait a minute, have you SEEN THE FUCKING NOTIFICATION AREA IN iOS NOW? Yeah…. Apple completely came up with that on their own… it wasn’t in a Android already AT ALL… lol

Also, half the patents they won on can clearly and easily be shown to have already existed (pinch to zoom is from Mits for example) and Apple got these ideas FROM OTHER PLACES and then made them better.

Why is is ok for Apple to do this and no one else?

Also, you do realize that this case was also heard in 6 other countries outside the US and in ALL OF THEM Apple’s case was laughed out of court, only the US court protected the US company.

Wow, really saddened by how little thought Chris and the boys have put into this.

• Torye says:

Why it ok for Apple to use Android ideas? Because a patent is a patent and something that’s not patented can be, as you put it, “made better”. I’m glad you pay attention.

38. StuartB says:

I’ve got a saved tweet confirming that Andrew Zimmern of Bizarre Foods wants to be on the podcast sometime.

Next Minneapolis podcast guest has already been set up!

Also, Nerdist Live from the MN State Fair has a nice ring to it…

39. mgasp says:

@chrishardwick ha! I’ll have to make one!

40. Bubafettt says:

I was thrilled to see this post! He was and still is an inspiration to me. Would love to hear Wylie Dufresne, Graham Elliot, Anthony Bourdain and/or Richard Blais on the podcast sometime. And if you could get Jose Andres or the Adria brothers, that would be EPIC!!!

41. Chris Hardwick says:

@mgasp: I like reading your comment as some sort of “let someone else talk meme”. Is there one? There should be!

meme.meme.meme.meme.meme.meme.meme.meme.meme.meme

42. mgasp says:

Chris, Let someone else talk!!!!!! memememememememememememememememememe

43. This made me so happy. Please, more (interesting) Food Network guests!

44. zeldaveritas says:

OMFG! I just lost my shit when I saw this pop up in my browser. You alluded to it in an earlier episode and all I could think of is the bad-ass that is AB.

Looking forward to listening.

45. duncan7 says:

SUAPTH, the LCD Soundsystem documentary, is well worth the watch, Chris. Also produced by Adam Yauch’s (RIP) production company.

46. JetpackBlues says:

“He’s trying to kill me! I asked for the salted nuts. He brought me the unsalted nuts. The unsalted nuts make me choke!”

Getting people like Alton Brown and Bill Nye together sounds like the Sundance Channel’s show Iconoclasts. Famous nerds from different backgrounds, that have never met, trading notes? Sounds like a new Nerdist web show to me.

47. aimee says:

Still trying to get over my girl-boner after listening to Alton on the podcast. This is up there with the David Tennant episode as one of my all-time favorites. Well done Nerdist, well done.

48. Curtis says:

I’m sure Alton would agree that, as Robert Rodriguez said, not knowing how to cook is like not knowing how to fuck.

49. stalkinggoat says:

Can I get Alton Brown telling Matt to “SHUT THE FUCK UP!” as a ringtone? Greatest. Thing. Ever.

50. Jamie says:

Alton, I’m sorry, I love you. But you’re wrong. Because I crave brussell sprouts sometimes. Admittedly I it’s only when my iron is low but I do crave them.