Alex Winter

Nerdist Podcast: Alex Winter

Alex Winter sits down with Chris, Matt, and Jonah to talk about how he got into documentary making, his early love of the internet, and how he got the parts in Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure and Lost Boys!

Watch Downloaded on July 1st!

1. Darksidedork says:

Did Chris just say he liked looking at pictures of dead kids?? :O

2. alanso says:

This was one of the top 5 podcasts for me, really good to hear someone who is in both the online community and has worked in or around the music industry. The man talks sense. Then there’s the truly excellent bonus Bill and Ted talk to boot!

3. really fascinating. smart dude.

4. Patty Marvel says:

@Not eddy – What’s your Fark handle? I’m Rubberband Girl.

5. Not eddy says:

Hey Hardwick!

If you feel like smacking some more trolls around, there’s still a ton over on Fark.

Just look for the politics tab, or any headline with the “Hero” tag and you’ll hit pay dirt.

good episode BTW.

6. Dec says:

This was an awesome podcast. Great work guys!
    Ah, ol scrappy eddy scrappin away, being a dirt little scrapper.
    I honestly cannot understand sad scrappers like you.
    Why would you just not listen to the podcast and not comment dickishly if you didn’t like the guest.
    Anyways, you suck. And this podcast was excellent.

7. JetpackBlues says:

Sweet eddy’s ghost! The comments in this thread are de-evolving so fast that, I fear, by the time we hit the 60’s it’ll be nothing but Gersberms-speak!

8. Leonard Sultana says:

I’m so sorry, I’ve just been scalping the bottom of a barbell. What were we talking about?

9. Shawn says:

Scarp on Chris …Scarp on Nerdist! (Duelling guitars).

10. JetpackBlues says:

Just got done watching the trailer for Downloaded. Yea, definitely a must-see.

11. SSDD says:

I don’t think anyone has a problem with different opinions (e.g. Greg, e.g. Bastien).

I’m pretty sure it’s the acting like a rude bastard part that rubs people the wrong way.

12. Chris says:

@Bastien Y.A.N.A. When I started listening I thought Tom Lennon was making a “cameo”.

13. smo says:

hey dudes! great show! i just wanted to point out that bandcamp DOES have a social element to it. it might be in beta but i have one. it shows people what you’ve bought and the bands you liked. it also shows how many people have an album in their collection. lets you write blurbs and pick the example song too. here’s my page:

14. Wow, great podcast! What an intelligent, articulate, funny guy. Quite the opposite of his character in Bill & Ted’s (well, except for the funny part).

I heard the same thing about the Bill & Ted’s sequel that he said in this podcast, except that I heard there was already a third draft. Here’s to hoping that it gets made into a film one day. God, to see him and Keanu back in those roles…

15. Wildride says:

When water nubs start getting scarce, it’s a slippery slope right to Ice Pirates.

16. David says:

Excellent interview – thanks. What a sharp and knowledgable cat Alex is. I learned a thing or two listening to this. I love that he was reluctantly acting in movies until he could ditch it and concentrate on film-making. Most kids that age would be totally seduced by the acting route so he must;ve had uncharacteristic wisdom and foresight.

17. bastien says:

Aside: Am I the only one who thinks Alex’s voice sounds like a combination of Tom Lennon and Ben Garant?

18. bastien says:

A quick comment about the Pandora/Spotify/etc discussion:

You guys seemed to be taking issue with the “robotic” nature of how Pandora works, yet you seemed to want its choices to be automatic AND what you want to listen to.

Well, Pandora doesn’t work like that. You can’t complain about it being robotic while still wanting it to be entirely automated (you know, like a robot).

Pandora requires interaction and input from you, the user, to teach it. That’s the whole purpose. You give it somewhere to start and it plays something. If you don’t like it, it’s up to you to teach Pandora that you don’t like it. It’s your job to click the thumbs down button, it’s not Pandora’s job to perfectly understand the entirety of your musical taste from a single suggestion. If you want it to work properly, you have to play along. Otherwise, the complaint about it being too inhuman is due to your own misuse of the service.

Personally, I have discovered quite a large portion of the music I like through Pandora suggestions. And it’s not because I’ll listen to whatever I hear. Quite the opposite, I’m incredibly picky about the music I listen to. It’s through playing the Pandora game that it better understands what I like and is able to introduce me to indie gems. No, it’s not correct all the time, but again…that’s what the “dislike” button is for.

19. Pedak says:

Eddy, get out of here with your different opinions.

20. Ryan says:

What a great guest! He meshed with you guys very well. It’s like a hostful episode but with extra delightfulness mashed in there.

21. Bryan says:

He sounds really similar to Tom Lennon at several points in this podcast. I never realized how similar they were in vocal sound.

22. Derek Harju says:

Absolutely fascinating, can’t wait to see “Downloaded”. It’s rad to see these pop-cultural touchstone from my youth go on from acting to producing and creating meaningful content like this.

23. Patty Marvel says:

Oh, SCARPING! That’s what you do when you’ve got chutzpah and will step up on someone’s behalf against assholes! Yeah, I’m down with that.

24. Josh says:

This was an episode that I thought, “Meh, I’ll just listen to this in the background” and then was put in my place with how fantastic it was. Great work guys!

25. smallerdemon says:

If you want some great new, human curated rock, I can’t suggested SOMA FM’s Bagel Radio strong enough. Entirely 100% human curated by one DJ. Commercial free. They exist entirely on donations to pay their broadcast fees.

All of SOMA FM is great, but Bagel Radio is fantastic.

26. setlasmon says:

haven’t listened yet but I certainly hope fellow comedy nerd Mr Hardwick asked him about one of the best sketch series never to make it to DVD… THE IDIOT BOX!

27. Kevin says:

WYLD STALYNS!!!! MORE EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. Kevin says:

29. Nate says:

Yet another great unexpected show. Keep it up!

Have Alex on again when his child actor project comes out, sounds very interesting.

Eddy: Be Excellent to each other.

30. meanwhilebacklash says:

i listen to nerdist using winamp. >_<

31. pbnews says:

Leave poor Eddy alone. He was obviously “rapped” by a guy in a Bill S. Preston, Esq. mask.

32. Oxnard Montalvo says:

We sure have spent alot of time in this thread not getting laid, guys.

33. Phil says:

Holy mouth-raping shit! I fucking love this dude. Yeah, sure, he did B+T, but he also did one of my favorite flicks of all-time–FREAKED! In fact, I was just listening to Blind Idiot God the other day in the car. I believe they didn’t even release a soundtrack or put that song on their album. It was exclusive to just the movie. I just ripped it from the opening titles and MP3’d it. But I also like Alex’s music videos.

Admittedly, I’ve been a little slow on Nerdist episodes lately just because I’ve been listening to music on my commutes, but this is definitely going on the USB for tomorrow’s drive!

34. Alex Winter says:

Thanks Chris! Was a great podcast, and a ton of fun to do!

35. haha says:

I can just picture that poor little guy, heart racing, obsessivley combing through that second comment to make sure there were absolutely no spelling errors. Laughing so hard right now.

Suck a barrel of cocks, Eddy. Make sure you scrap the bottom to get every last one.

36. Delta Blues says:

Eddy is full of scrap

37. jeremeyes says:

go scrap yourself, haters!

38. Greg says:

Chris, I understand the urge, but trolls and some “celebrities” even are just like the possessed advertisements in The Simpson’s episode Treehouse of Horror VI Attack of the 50 Foot Eyesores, where Paul Anka sings “Just Don’t Look.” It we don’t pay attention to trolls they go away.

On the flipside, trolls win when they have people bashing “them” and saying things like, “he/she probably lives in their mom’s basement,” etc. This is wrong, because it goes into drawing negative connotations to genuine things, like playing D&D or other things that may be deemed “nerdy”. I understand though the urge to be defensive. It’s innate, but ultimately it’s a choice to fuel the fire or not.

39. Josh C says:

Chris, you know this guy is sitting in his parents basement probably ironically watching Bill and Ted right now. Don’t bother.

40. Mike says:

Excellent Podcast!!

41. Chris Hardwick says:

@eddy: “Grrrrr! Buhhh! Duh edit but-ton!” Nice recovery snark attempt! You sure turned those tables right around and showed me what’s what!! Honestly, it’s adorable to see you get all riled. And you even referred to yourself as a troll, which is refreshing.

42. Bryan says:

Uggh, why all the hate, fellas? Super interesting guest & was a part of my & many other people’s childhood’s.

Chris: deep breath, shrug it off, you’re better than that.

44. JetpackBlues says:

The moment I saw this pop up in the download queue this morning I thought, “Oh, I’ve gotta listen to this on the drive in to work.”

I’m going back and finishing up the last few minutes now, but this was an intriguing “HOLY SHIT, what the hell happened to THAT guy?” interview. Because I’m clearly out of touch.

45. Eddy says:

As soon as I posted I realized I had one spelling mistake. I tried to see if there was an edit function because I knew that if Chris “I’m not going to engage trolls” Hardwick responded to the comment, it would be focused on that one mistake. So predictable. Oh and congrats on joining the #doucheshashtaggingoutsidetwitter. We meet every other month at the Saddle Ranch. We’re the ones with the popped collars.

46. Chris Hardwick says:

@eddy: No, Alex is a brilliant dude. When we’re ACTUALLY “scrapping” the bottom of the barrel (how does one “scrap” a barrel bottom anyway?) YOU will be on. Which, as I’m sure you well know, will never happen. Troll and rage all you want, my friend! No amount of snark will alter the fact that your willful ignorance is only outweighed by your pointlessness. I mean seriously, lad! Your only contribution to this world is negativity and douchery and you couldn’t even get THAT right! Deliciously ironic! #scrapping

47. Amy says:

Huh, I used napster for the same reason, almost exclusively downloaded bootlegs and live covers.

48. Eddy says:

really scrapping the barrel these days

49. Tom says:

That was amazing!

50. Billy Zabka would be another interesting guy to interview as well. He’s a documentary film maker as well and had a film nominated for an oscar.