A Talking Cat?!

Nerdist Podcast: A Talking Cat?!

It’s some hostful goodness to start your weekend off right! The guys talk about parents learning technology, a recent movie Jonah saw on a plane, and debate who has more t-shirts for their podcast!

Artwork by Fernando Pinto

Comments

1. Viva Las Vegas! says:

It’s Mike. Mike Phirman. Not Mark.

And if you have a problem with the entirety of Las Vegas being portrayed as a playground for narcissistic immature idiots you should probably attack the problem at its root and post on the Las Vegas board of tourism website, not nerdist.com. They’re the ones who promote Las Vegas by synonymizing (not a word) it with the strip. They realize it’s good business to promote themselves as a hedonistic heaven because people who enjoy that type of thing have to spend their disposable income SOMEWHERE.

When the rest of us refer to Las Vegas we’re referring to the strip, not the rest of the city, just like your board of tourism has taught us to do. Nobody’s referring to you. Like I said you seem like a good dude and I’m sure that there are a lot more people like you in other parts of the city of Las Vegas. But don’t make the rest of us accountable for your city’s carefully crafted public image. Let what happens in Vegas…you know.

2. Robin says:

Yay! I missed you guys! :)

It was pretty cool to have a new hostful, a new TV episode and to get to see Chris do stand up in NYC! It was a great Nerdist weekend for me.

3. MarkinLV says:

Either way, you guys stood up for Mark Phirman, and I can appreciate that. Let’s all try to be more civil in future postings. You defend Mr. Phirman, I defend the residents of Las Vegas and Henderson.

We can agree to disagree, or take a second to realize we are ALL real people and not just two-dimensional cardboard cut-out stereotypes to be ridiculed.

I’m originally from NYC, spent ten years in the Bay Area, and the Vegas valley is my current adopted hometown. I just want it to be viewed as more than the sum of a ten-block patch of tourist eye candy.

There is a thriving tech scene, a burgeoning art scene, and a killer (pun intended) music scene here. I just think we deserve a little more respect from a man who is the best representative the geek community has ever had.

I’ll be the first to admit that the strip is filled with low-lifes who come to town for the sole purpose of making total asses of themselves. That’s why I, and many other locals like me, avoid the strip like the plague.

4. Viva Las Vegas! says:

In case there’s any confusion, I’m not Chris. He only ever posts under his own name.

5. MarkinLV says:

Chris,

I have to say that I’m blown away by a) the fact that you responded b) the intensity of your commitment to your friends and c) your ability to take a step back and re-calibrate.

I truly enjoy the many podcasts that you, Matt & Jonah have put out over the years, and I only wish you success.

I will try to be more considerate when posting comments in the future. But don’t expect me to go easy on you just because I like you.

All the best…

6. MarkinLV says:

BTW, thanks for the moderate tone Yasmin. When I signed on to post a comment (also my first time), I had no idea how virulent the reaction would be. I’m with you – no more.

7. Viva Las Vegas! says:

@Yasmin
    I agree that people are entitled to their opinions, but I’m sick to death of that being used as an excuse to go onto the internet and pop off in the rudest way possible about real people as if they’re nothing but two-dimensional cartoon characters who don’t exist, will never read what’s written about them on the internet, and have no feelings. Especially because their only sin was trying to earn a living by providing these jerks with free entertainment!

Having an opinion and not needing to express it like a complete dick are not mutually exclusive states. If people are going to be a dicks on the internet, they shouldn’t be shocked when someone is a dick to them in return. The onus for good behavior shouldn’t be thrust upon the entertainer. They shouldn’t be the ones held to a higher standard, especially considering that they’re the ones being attacked first.

@MarkinLV
    You seem like a good dude despite your first comment. I apologize for mine.

8. Yasmin Rodriguez says:

Woah Chris. Kind of disappointed at your reaction (the first one, not the light version you just posted).

People are entitled to their opinions about the podcast and the show. I think that’s the point of the comments section, right?

Understand Mike is your friend but I don’t think that the aggressive reply was necessary. It was just a single person’s opinion about one thing.

When you are out there pushing out creative work you’ll have a lot of criticism (as I’m sure you’ve already been exposed to) – learn to take the good with the bad with a grain of salt. Again, it’s only one person’s opinion.

As for me, first (or second) and last time I post on this site. No need to read any more of this.

9. Viva Las Vegas! says:

@MerkinLV (misspelling intentional)
    I’m pretty sure that the only negative thing Chris has ever said about Vegas (and I’m not quoting) is that it’s a disgusting filth-mire filled with assholes who think behaving badly in public is awesome. You pretty much just proved his point.

Coming from a glam-obsessed fecalstain city like Las Vegas it doesn’t surprise me that you’d want, of all things, a DJ in place of Mike Phirman. Mike Phirman is a comedic genius. If Mike pissed himself laughing at your worthless comment you wouldn’t be worthy to suck the urine out of his drawers to clean them for him.

• MarkinLV says:

Wow. I didn’t realize you cared so deeply about mr. Phirman. I was trying to give you an objective viewpoint. I apologize to him. My only wish is for you to succeed. I didn’t mean to come across as a douche.
      I think if you, or anyone else reading this, takes the time to travel beyond the strip, you’d find a lot of people who appreciate what you do. Myself included. Consider me humbled.

• MarkinLV says:

And Chris has repeatedly described Las Vegas in derogatory terms “Jizneyland” being among the choicest terms…

10. nitecraller says:

That..was awesome. (both the podcast, and Chris’ response to that douche bag MarkinLV)

11. @MarkinLV: Insulting Mike Phirman? You can fuck WAY off. I lost interest in anything else you had to say after that. He is essentially my little brother and one of the sweetest most talented people one could ever hope to know. Go gingerly place your butt lips on tip of the Luxor and slide down it until you explode.

And to the 38 non-douches who said nice things, THANK YOU! I appreciate it! Hostfuls are so much damn fun. There are more coming up in the next few weeks.

12. Patty Marvel says:

@Iain – Thanks for the laugh! seriously, those JEANS!!!

13. MarkinLV says:

Gotta say that this is the format where you guys shine. The TV show is not working for me. Matt & Jonah need to let their personalities come through more. The stage set doesn’t add to the presentation at all. The music has sucked from the start. Furman needs to go the way of the dinosaur, and his replacements too. You need an 8-bit DJ who kicks ass in the alotted 15 seconds.

And remember to stop dissing Vegas! There are nerds galore here who share your world view.

14. Patty Marvel says:

@Couldn’t Resist – I wonder who Matt Mira would wear on his face?

@JetpackBlues – IIRC, he was going to work something out with Nerdist, but I never saw a store. I should look him up again and see what the deal is.

15. JetpackBlues says:

P.S. I need another t-shirt like I need another hole in my head (thanks, Trepanning), but would buy the shit out of a new run of Nerdist shirts.

Speaking of which, I should back that statement up by supporting all the folks I mentioned above.

16. JetpackBlues says:

Glad to hear everyone back together again.

Someone said recently that not divulging your age in Hollyweird tends to get you more work. Especially if no one can figure it out on their own, because you look younger than you actually are. *leers @ Chris* :-?

Since there’s already a significant foothold on Blue Collar Distro, “The Merch Table of the Internet”, maybe there should be a Nerdist store. I think Petey Pants and The T-shirt Baron, Todd Glass, Maria Bamford, Maron (enter the code WTF @ checkout), are all good people to contact and help get that started.

I missed getting a Nerdist road shirt in San Fran, and don’t know if Chris trucks them with him to shows, so there’s idea #1. Nerdist bowling team shirt could be another. And maybe open it up to limited-run submissions by fans – à la the Hostful Art Project.

Maybe a shirt of the week thing like they did for the Venture Brothers years ago? A different shirt a week, for like 6-10 weeks. You can buy them individually the week they run, or ‘subscribe’ to get them all.

@Patty: I thought you were working with the artist on getting that shirt done?

17. Couldn't Resist says:

I would proudly wear Matt Mira’s bosoms on my face.

18. Joe Megalos says:

Interesting to hear Matt cite Klosterman’s essay on “The Real World” as a high point in Sex, Drugs and Co-Co Puffs — that’s the exact point where I realized I’d wasted my money on a bunch of myopic bullshit.

19. Patty Marvel says:

@Leah – :HIGH FIVES MY MSTie SISTER:

Which episode got you hooked? “Manhunt in Space” did it for me.

@Chris Hardwick – Oh, embrace your age!!! There’s absolutely nothing wrong with being in your forties! You’re almost the perfect nerd age, ‘cuz it’s the answer to life the universe and everything!

Here, I’ll go first.

I was born May 12, 1969, a great year for babies, moonwalks and rock concerts. And I have no wrinkles. So there.

EMBRACE IT!!!!! You’ve nothing to worry about until your pubs turn grey.

P.S. At least one of the Nerdist t-shirts MUST include THIS banner on the chest: http://www.nerdist.com/2012/07/nerdist-podcast-complaint-unit-for-nerdist-trollery/ Yes, I would proudly wear Matt Mira’s face on my bosoms.

20. Natasha says:

One of my new favorite thing about the podcast is hearing Kyle laughing in the background.

21. Joxua says:

That’s a neat list. I loved the apple tarts ep. It was the sound fx episode. Brb going back to listen to it.

22. Patty Marvel says:

Cool! First in-studio Hostful since February’s “Apple Tarts”: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Nerdist_Podcast_episodes Yes, some intrepid soul has actually cataloged these.

Glad to hear in the intro Chris has banked some Hostfuls, which should make his job/life easier. That whole “make life easier” thing is good as it reduces one’s chances of having their head explode. Kudos.

And now to listen….

23. Yasmin says:

Hostfuls make me happy.

Maybe its just me but they seem to be funnier when you guys haven’t done one in a while. It feels like I’m listening in to my brother goofing around with his friends.

24. Brian says:

Dear Hosts

You have our permission to make Afghanistan jokes. We’ve been making them for years and they’re not very good. We’re not comedians.

Love
    The Veterans

25. Amanda says:

Who was laughing in the background through the whole episode? Kind of distracting.

26. tony says:

I was bummed about that sold out show with Fidlar and Wavves :[

27. Joxua says:

A hostful? A hostful! Hooray. Also

Gooby pls.??

28. Hannah says:

I want a Nerdist t-shirt. So so so much. Then I can wear it when I come see Chris in Minneapolis in June. I am thiiiiiissss close to making one myself. I would rather give you my money though. So make it happen Hardwick….

Please?

29. Kraken Attack! says:

Gooby looks like the older offspring of Fred Dalton Thompson and Fozzy Bear.
    I love the League Of Their Own references, I must of seen it 50 times when I was younger. That is one of the most depressing songs ever written. I can’t wait for more host-fulls.

30. Leah says:

Oh I missed you hostfuls!

Also Jonah – missed an MST3K joke with McGreggor. (I mean no one would have got it unless the watched the Final Sacrifice episode a million times. But I would have. And I’m the only one in the audience who matters.)

31. Erin says:

This is the first podcast I’ve listened to with just you guys and I found it HIIIGHLY entertaining! Madonna will be in my head all day now and I’ll be weeping at my desk. Thanks for the laughs!

32. Wildride says:

A Ted Named Gooby!

33. melf melfman says:

lazer petey holmes impressions!

34. Pat_JG says:

A Talking Cat is part of a series that includes An Easter Bunny Puppy and A Halloween Puppy. Same theme music and everything. Also, I think they use the same house for all of them.

35. Andrew says:

Did Greg just have a psychological break due to “A Talking Cat!?!”

36. John G. says:

Whether it was Chris who ordered it, or Katie taking the initative, thank you thank you THANK YOU for attaching the song to the end of the podcast. It was a beautiful bow atop a pleasing podcast package.

37. Matt10 says:

David DeCoteau is the director of “A Talking Cat!?!” He made a lot of direct-to-video horror films. He’s also openly gay so on the covers of those b-horror films you see a lot of shirtless guys.

38. Klinger says:

Is there any particular reason that the quemments portion of the hostful podcasts no longer exists? Bad quemments? No quemments? You don’t have to sing the song if that’s the problem.

39. Tina says:

So I’m loving the “road voice” – think I’m going to practice my own. Or maybe I should skip the practice and just go with the flow!

40. Jerry says:

Sitting for long periods of time on an airplane without getting up to walk for example-TO THE BATHROOM, puts you at an incredibly high risk for a blood clot in your leg. In fact if you do get symptoms of a blood clot and end up going to a hospital one of the first questions the doctors will ask you is- “have you traveled recently?” Because it is that common.

Matt Myra you make poor decisions regarding your health.

41. Pedak says:

A hostful!? Do my eyes deceive me?

No. It’s just these damn cataracts!

42. @Rebecca: Chris on Twitter Tuesday: “Took Monday off after crazy work run.” There we are then.

43. Greg says:

No mention of Eric Robert doing the voice of the cat in “A Talking Cat!?!”? This film is the new “The Room”. All the kids are into it. C’mon, guys! Get with it? Have you heard of this thing called, “Gundumb Style”? I DOUBT IT! Obviously, you Obama-careless supporters are too far up you’re dick slits that you can even tell your nose from your taint. C’mon, guys!

I don’t even care anymore! I used to but my grandma just died. Way to put another nail in the coffin with a very thoughtless hostful. A-yeah my feelings are hurt…pretty much. Just what to except from HOLLYWEIRD! Oh well, I gotta go to this funeral now. C’mon, guys!

44. Rebecca says:

Oh hostfuls, how I’ve missed you.

I don’t know if anyone really addressed it, but why wasn’t there a new podcast on Monday? I heard rumors of an April Fool’s joke but it doesn’t seem much like a prank to me.

45. kyle says:

Chris use this application in place of Google reader,you can even import your Google reader settings..:https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/feedly-google-reader-google/id396069556?mt=8

46. Sue says:

Yay! I was wondering when the next hostful was. I missed it :)

47. Jake says:

The banner for this episode makes Chris look Canadian.