Zooey Deschanel

Nerdist Podcast #97: ZOOEY DESCHANEL

Zooey D TURN-ONs:  yacht rock, Pandora and puns. Zooey D TURN-OFFS: improper microphone compression and gluten. Also, she is immensely cool. HOW DO WE KEEP GETTING SO LUCKY WITH THE COOL PEOPLE ON THIS FLY-BY-NIGHT OPERATION??? I don’t now but I’m all fer it! (as opposed to agin it)

Comments

1. Collin says:

What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I’ve discovered It
    absolutely useful and it has helped me out loads.

I am hoping to give a contribution & aid different customers like its helped me.
    Good job.

2. lily says:

zooey! you’re a 32 year old woman. can you stop saying ‘like’ so much????

3. Diana says:

I would love to listen to a nerdist podcast where they interview Emily Deschanel :)

4. Melissa Manos says:

Few points about celiac disease, which is what ZD seems to have:

– It’s not a genetic thing limited to Irish people. It’s common throughout the world. It just happens to be diagnosed more often in countries that test for it (countries like Ireland, Finland, and Italy).

– It was underdiagnosed in the united states until about 10 years ago. Before then, it was classified as a childhood disease that went away over time. (It isn’t, people have it for life.)

– About 1-3 people in every 100 people have it, across ethnic groups.

– It’s as common as a peanut allergy.

– Gluten is found in wheat (various strains/subspecies), barley, rye, and in oats (oats are generally contaminated in processing).

I wish ZD had given a fluent explanation of celiac disease during the podcast, since it’s generally not understood well by people who don’t have it or know someone who has it.

5. John says:

This is the Nerdist podcast? And no one even mentioned the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy? Am I missing something? Is it a Dr. Who thing?

6. Manuel says:

Usually I don’t listen to podcasts twice but I have to download this one again for work today. It’s just too good! Love Zooey! <3

7. Brandon says:

The excessive criticism over Zooey has me absolutely stunned. She seemed rather pleasant and receptive, and I found this podcast to be most satisfactory. It’s easy to sit back and judge someone for overusing a word, as we have the ability to dissect every syllable uttered through the power of technology. We often forget how our conversational faults might be magnified if we were interviewed. I’m willing to wager that there are more than a few of you that would come across as less than eloquent. Especially if you were a bit sleep deprived, which I am sure you busy Hollywood types are.

8. Shelbyninja says:

Since I follow her on twitter, I am used to her personality being a bit different than it would seem. I enjoyed the interview. Kristen Bell next please!!!

9. Warpraptor says:

Yacht Rock Playlist.

10. mj.starchilde says:

def one of my favorite podcast interviews. love zooey. and i’d like to say when you have a creative brain sometimes you can’t articulate in laymans terms, zooey was great.

11. richard says:

i was at that m. ward/dios (malos) show too!!!!

would you guys have any interest in getting more musician-y guests? ted leo, for instance. or john roderick (of the long winters). or annie clark (of st. vincent)!!!!! think about iiiiiit.

12. Fantas says:

Even Natalie Portman comes across as dull and inarticulate at times in interviews, so I gave Zooey a pass for about, I don’t know… ten minutes? Twenty? This is like an hour. LIKE an hour. She’s an absolute idiot.

You should have stayed in university, Zooey. Worked for Portman, failed for you. Read a book and learn some new words.

13. Enohead says:

I want to see a copy of the yacht rock playlist.

14. Mick G says:

I am a HUGE fan of your podcast and all things Nerdist. However, for the first time I had to turn off the Zooey podcast. Her voice, cadence, and lack of vocabulary absolutely reaffirmed how much I do not care for her. I’ve seen her movies and I think about all the struggling performers out there that have real talent. Her lazy speech infected not only your podcast, but pretty much every movie she’s been in. I was so excited for Tin Man, but quickly lost interest due to her lack of acting ability. Good on her for being able to do only the roles she wants. I just don’t see how so many roles are being thrown her way. It was definitely a disappointment.

15. rhzunam says:

To each his own but I really don’t get all the criticism on Zooey. I always loved her and this really didn’t change that. I though it was a good episode and I don’t get the criticism. The thing about not wanting to start in the beginning seems perfectly understandable. I know that many of you that have a career and been working in it for a while, would have a problem if they were forced to take a course in that from a begginers level. In fact that is a constant criticism. And yet because she’s an actress, it’s bad and she’s being a bitch.

I don’t get it. Zooey shows that she’s a nerd and has cool taste and yet because she says a word too much and sounds dumb, she get criticized. On the other hand Jeri Ryan basically states that she didn’t care about Star Trek before the show, kind of shows not to care much about it to even get stuff that she should know wrong and basically shows signs that besides an interest in bioscience, she isn’t nerdy at all and everybody praises her and her interview. And I don’t want to throw her under the bus, in fact I thought it was interesting that Ryan wasn’t anything as I expected (and I wasn’t a fan of her to begin with so there was no dissapointment) and it’s cool but I just don’t see why that interview get’s praised and Zooey get so much criticism here for stuff that shouldn’t be.

16. Ken says:

Zooey fan (former) :check ..Nerdist Fan :check …after this episode Zooey has revealed that she is possibly the stupidest actress i’ve ever heard. I can’t even see her as attractive anymore. cuz, she’s like, like, so like shallow. like, ya know?

17. dude says:

dude.
    it’s not that she’s famous it’s just that it feels like an acting class, and if you’re an experienced construction worker who own his own business and been on 30 story skyscrapers working by hand and someone told you-you should take this class they’re offering now on how to get started.. without knowledge of the whole thing- it feels kind of useless..you know the job through your bone marrow..why would you want to relearn something that you already know?

yea improv is way different..but off the cuff..it just seems unnecessary.

18. Swish41 says:

Just listened to the zooey d. podcast and was wondering if she was really, really stoned? She claims she is ” scared of drugs”, but she really sounds stoned. I hope she was because that would explain her slow responses and lazy talk (using “like” incessantly). Fuck, that was annoying. Otherwise, keep up the good work nerds!

19. Lauren B says:

I’m a little behind in listening but had the weirdest moment when 2 of my podcast worlds just collided. I’ve been listening to Pip and Tee for years on different sci fi podcasts and love the Ministry of Peculiar Occurances podcast.
    You have my favorite comedy podcast ( I am also a big nerd) and stopped what I was doing and said WHAT when you mentioned the book. You should check out their podcast. If you can find time amidst all of your comedy and shmoozing with the famous people. :)
    Love you guys.

20. Geetz Romo says:

so regarding the whole gluten intolerance thing……
    if you guys had boned up on your Paleo Diet, you’d know that the reason wheat and grains aren’t on the good food list is that humans did not evolve to tolerate eating them. these plants create their own toxic proteins (lectins) naturally to prevent them from being eaten. in recent history Monsanto has created even MORE toxic versions of wheat, corn and soy (which are in everything). these foods cause an inflammatory reaction in our gut, with the most extreme cases being Celiac but with most people having varying degrees of sensitivity. this leads to “leaky gut” and is the cause of an enormous amount of disease associated with the Western Diet (obesity, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, etc).
    There’s a reason why in Italy (yes Italy, home of pizza/pasta/bread) they test everyone for Celiac disease and you can walk into most restaurants and say “Sono Celiaco” and they will bring you gluten free versions of pizza, pasta, whatever. Robb Wolf’s post on this is great http://bit.ly/9NXzzD
    Going gluten free may be a fad now, but as someone who has been Paleo for the past 7 months, I can tell you its a fad that I hope catches on.

21. Gail says:

It was so cool to hear about The Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences as I was driving home from the library where I checked out Podcasting for Dummies by Tee Morris (with co-authors Chuck Tomasi and Evo Terra).
    Space and time nearly imploded.
    I see Tee has already left you a message.

A most enjoyable podcast.

22. Duncan7 says:

Zooey needs to get a few more movies in the can, or she’ll be bankrupt within a day once Zuckerberg finally trademarks the word “like.” Please keep her sister off the guest list- I’d hate to have my fantasy of her similarly shattered.

23. ALOYSIUS says:

I enjoyed the Zooey episode but I was really distracting hearing her say “like” every third word. It started to be the only thing I could hear.

24. ConventionNerd says:

I love Zooey’s work. I wish people would leave her alone about her over use of the word “like”. I work in a school and I know first-hand how hard it is for the girls at my school to form similes. As a fellow nerd who can’t eat wheat shopping for food is “like” being a kid in a candy store and told not to touch anything with sugar in it. All the best Zooey!

25. Alright so I’m driving down the highway in beautiful Wisconsin (it’s only ok) listening to this episode, and I’m laughing hard when you are ripping on morning radio hosts. As a former rock radio morning show host I must say you’re pretty right on. Also then to my enjoyment the talk of being gluten free comes up. Keep in mind I’m in Wisconsin home of beer, beer, brats, and more beer. I have celiac disease, I found out shortly after I lost my gig as a morning radio host. Fuck me I know, but normally I wouldn’t comment but this time I had to. Thanks for making a shitty commute enjoyable.

26. PaulH says:

That was kind of painful. Not sure if it was all her “like, like, like” and/or her grating “valley girl”-esque whine. I usually love the podcast, but that one was hard to get through.

27. Fenselworth Bennington says:

I appreciate the star power Hardwick is able to pull, it’s above and beyond a lot of people, comparable to Maron’s higher level guests or on occasion the Sklars’. But maybe you should back off the star power a bit and focus on the Nerdist aspect of, er, Nerdist. Just interjecting “So what nerdy things do you like?” because you have to bring it back around seems a little forced. Deschanel’s inability to be articulate doesn’t really sell her to people that weren’t her fans in the first place, either. Neither she nor Benz were able to marry both the laid-back attitude and engaging conversation that Jeri Ryan pulled off. And she’s the most “Nerdist” of the three in terms of her career, so that’s even better.

Not that I won’t listen to every episode you put out regardless, just saying.

28. Art says:

Great show…. but I would love for you to give a tally of how many times Zoe said “Like” ;-)

29. SlimCharles says:

Yeah, It’s obvious that Zooey is bitch because she says ‘like’ a lot. Just like Lindeloff. YAWN.
    She was awesome, as expected. Now, Kristen Bell. I order you, Hardwick!

30. nerdist fan says:

I had to turn off this podcast. It was too boring.

31. Chris Bell says:

I know I’m in the minority, but this is really the only time I’ve listened that I liked someone less after the interview than before. I’d always heard rumors about folks having bad run-ins with Zooey around New York. It breaks my heart a little bit to hear her say things that make the stories ring true.

Argh, I’m going to listen to the Sarah Silverman interview again. That’ll should bring my faith in mankind right back to barely tolerable.

32. Joseph says:

I hope Zooey actually goes back and listens to this podcast later, and hears how conceited she sounds not wanting to take the beginner improve classes because she has “been an actor for 15 years”. I feel so sorry that someone would drag you down to that level superstar. I’m sorry this had to be my first post to you awesome podcast, but like you guys have talked about before I guess I’m more motivated by to speak out about something negative rather than a positive, “Wow, another great show guys”.

33. Rory Pond says:

I absolutely adore Zooey Deschanel, and you can tell Chris, Matt and Jonah do, too, because they didn’t want to stop recording. (Okay, there was a half-hearted attempt to drop “Enjoy your burrito” in there, but with no real enthusiasm.)

For any Zooey musical completists out there, be sure to check out Coconut Records’ first album “Nighttiming.” Zooey sings with Jason Schwartzmann on two songs, “Slowly” and “Ask Her to Dance.” Plus it’s just a cool album.

34. Paul Bird says:

I like…agree…like…with …like…all..like the… like…. comments about this guest. She is talented and interesting but I couldn’t listen to the whole podcast.

35. Wade says:

Say what you will about Zooey’s many “likes” but it was not even close to Lindelof’s “you know” fest.

36. Blorgtron says:

I like her movies and she’s obviously talented (not to mention beautiful) but she her speech disfluency makes her sound less-than-intelligent. My friend call this Ed Burns Syndrome: hot and talented, but the voice… oy.

37. b I e BOO says:

i like zOOEY, but she needs to lay off the LIKES…. geez

38. @lamenstein says:

@hoobers F you man, id love to hear you not utter one like or um on an hour long show/podcast. way to keep the positive reviews going

LOVE the show guys! You keep getting quality guests because you guys are QUALITY!

39. Doc says:

Ep’s 96 & 97 of Nerdist were the first ep’s I didn’t bother finishing. Both were a bit dull.

40. lisa says:

No Hoober, I was just like thinking like the same like thing.

41. hoobers says:

Am I the only one that noticed all the like , like like, like, like like like

like like, like

42. Keith says:

You guys are on a roll now, Who’s next Scorcese? Deniro? “are you tweeting to me? Are you tweeting to me? there’s no one else here you must be tweeting to me.”

43. herzogxyu says:

Zooey! She was absolutely great in All the Real Girls. Check out that flick especially if you want to see her as an unlikable character. Along time ago, in late 2007 she did a guest set on KCRW and played great music. Down to earth. Rock n Roll!

44. Tee Morris says:

Hey, all!

Just wanted to thank Chris and Zooey for talking about my and Pip Ballantine’s book. My Twitter feed and mobile phone went a little crazy today,so it was a nice pick-me-up. And yes, Zooey, I do hope you review Phoenix Rising: A Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences Novel. We’re both fans of yours, so we’d love to hear what you think of our steampunk romp.

45. Anonymous Burrito says:

Apple //e? Transylvania? Logo? *squeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!*

46. Steph says:

@eric The site is http://hellogiggles.com

I’m a big fan of Zooey and I’m so glad she was on the podcast. I’ve already listened to it twice. :D
    I also think she needs to do the review of the romance book you gave her.